Steak eaters, your opinion of Peter Luger sauce?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
For those who asked earlier -

The company I work for has an open reservation at Peter Lugar's so I have eaten there far more than the average person - so it has its ups and downs but most people are so happy to get in that they ignore little things that matter

Other steakhouse in NYC that I think are better and more consistent than Peter Lugar's

BLT Steakhouse http://bltsteak.com/

Delmonico's (Old School and never had a bad meal there)http://www.delmonicosny.com/

The Striphouse http://www.striphouse.com/

MarkJoseph Steakhouse http://www.markjosephsteakhouse.com/

:angry:DON'T BE TELLING THESE FOOLS ABOUT MY SPOT FAM:angry:

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
Dam, excuses my ignorance but I never knew people ate ribs with out sauce that makes absolutely no sense. Then again I never ate pork so that may have something to do with it.

The best ribs i've ever had my spouse made them. And they are so good if you put sauce on them you'll mess it all up. I don't know about the burger thing. I've never had a burger without some kind of condiment. But the ribs? DTown said it best. It's about how you season and cook them. I couldn't tell you how she did it. I'm not a chef. And i don't pay attention to how food is cooked. I don't cook myself. But these ribs if someone can give a good recipe for these things you owe it to yourself to taste it. No sauce.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's the point of no sauce on the meat. If that shit is cooked and seasoned right. There should be no need for sauce and it should only be an option. A lot of times people put sauce on meat because it lacks flavor.

Chris Webber's On The Sauce -- Steak Sauce​

Sauce or no sauce?

It's a discussion you hear all the time between barbecue lovers across North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City and Texas. But you won't hear much argument for sauce when it comes to steak.

Unless you're Chris Webber.

The former NBA All-Star recently got into it with the staff at a high-end steakhouse over whether he should get to put the condiment on his cow.

The restaurant informed Webber that they didn't carry steak sauce, nor would they whip any up for him. Webber handled the situation pretty well, electing to take it home and dress it up there.

"I put the steak in a nice to-go container, waited until my wife ate," Webber told ESPN Radio. "I took that steak home, put it on some bread, put a ton of steak sauce on it and I made a steak sandwich."

But the story didn't end there. Even the celeb gossipers at TMZ picked it up:

hen Webber returned to Twitter to ask his fans who was out of line, him or the restaurant.

"TMZ says i'm a steak snob! What do you think? Sauce or No Sauce?" Webber tweeted on Wednesday.

Technically, the restaurant would be the steak snob in this scenario, but I digress. Since then, the Twitter-verse has been flooded with people choosing sides by adding #sauce or #nosauce to their posts.

Even the Mayor of St. Louis chimed in with his approval for the condiment.

Webber also built a poll on his website for fans to vote. As of the time of this story, "sauce" had the edge by a single vote. (Sounds like the debt ceiling crisis.)

It shouldn't be this close, though. We're not talking about a $9 steak from Sizzler. I'm sure many of you will disagree, like the time I told Gordon Hayward he needed to stop eating at Olive Garden.

But don't order a dry-aged, $100 steak if you plan on dousing it in $2 A-1.

Webber is entitled to his opinion though, which he summed up with this tweet:

"Hamburger -- need ketchup Steaks need steak sauce I'm not European -- I love sauce Ok. I own a coffee shop I won't serve sugar or cream."

So the sauce or no sauce debate rages on. I guess we'll have to wait to get into the fact that he ordered his steak well-done.

http://www.thepostgame.com/node/2319

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
I personally don't give a fuck how other people eat their food. Hell, my wife is country as shit and dips her pizza in ranch which is disgusting as fuck but it ain't my belly and sure as hell ain't my taste buds. I'm just glad I opened my mind enough to try a steak medium rare that was cooked to perfection and with out sauce. I'm never turnin' back.....

I'm much the same way. And i've never seen the dipping pizza in ranch thing until i came to texas. It was possibly the most disgusting thing i've ever seen. And me being me i tried it and it was horrible. Just horrible. Garlic butter yes. But ranch? That's just sacrilegious in my eyes.

But also before i came to texas i've never had a steak without A-1. And now i wouldn't even dream of using it once i had 1 prepared properly. We don't even have a-1 in the house.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
OK then anyone know how to prepare a good steak, at home, WITHOUT a grill...

on a stovetop????

:confused::confused::confused:

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor

on a stovetop????

I cook mine in the broiler. I have one of those mini convection ovens that has a grill type tray and a baking tray. I cover the bottom tray woth foil and put the grill on top. I then rub the steak with montreal steak seasoning and liquid smoke. I cook it for about 3 minutes on each sie(I like my steak medium and the cut is usually thin, but on a typical NY strip-thickness steak, I'd cook it for about 2-3minutes, 3 times, flipping twice. For a total of 8-9min).

I wouldn't even bother cooking steak at home on the stove top, but that's just me.

beg4mercy

Star
Registered
I'm much the same way. And i've never seen the dipping pizza in ranch thing until i came to texas. It was possibly the most disgusting thing i've ever seen. And me being me i tried it and it was horrible. Just horrible. Garlic butter yes. But ranch? That's just sacrilegious in my eyes.

But also before i came to texas i've never had a steak without A-1. And now i wouldn't even dream of using it once i had 1 prepared properly. We don't even have a-1 in the house.

Lol. It took a lot for me to put the steak sauce bottle down but that's cuz I was used to ordering steaks at Applebee's. Once I got a taste of a real steak at Landry's, Morton's, Hank's etc....I just can't do it. It's almost like puttin hot sauce on a perfectly char-grilled salmon. If I'm payin a nice chunk of change for so good grub, I want it be good in it's best form which is right off of the grill.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Never ate at Peter Luger's or ate their sauce. Not too much of a fan of eating sauce on my steaks anyways.

My two cents as in the best steaks I've eaten.

Michael Jordan Steakhouse, its owned by the same company that owns Striphouse spots.
I went to the one in the Mohegan Sun in CT, had a NY Strip, was most memorable.

Then Shula's in Miami is my second fave.

As for Vegas and $475 for a steak dinner? I think that's ridiculous. I would of had just as good of a steak at Grand Luxe in Vegas, my favorite food spot there. Would of been a quarter of that and just as damn good.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Lol. It took a lot for me to put the steak sauce bottle down but that's cuz I was used to ordering steaks at Applebee's. Once I got a taste of a real steak at Landry's, Morton's, Hank's etc....I just can't do it. It's almost like puttin hot sauce on a perfectly char-grilled salmon. If I'm payin a nice chunk of change for so good grub, I want it be good in it's best form which is right off of the grill.

Some people just like sauce. I see folks douse their food with hot sauce before they even taste the food.

M3MD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

on a stovetop????

Rub some butter on both sides of the steak. Then season liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on both sides of the steak. Sear on fairly high heat on the stove top in a cast iron skillet for about 1:30 mins each side (give or take depending on how thick the steak is) and then transfer the skillet to the oven at high heat (425 or so) and cook until your desired taste.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered

on a stovetop????

First I let me shit marinate over night. Then I sear my shit in a cast iron pan to lock in the flavor, and on the grill it goes. Let it cook till it's almost medium pink. Take it off, cover it up and let continue to cook on it own.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rub some butter on both sides of the steak. Then season liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on both sides of the steak. Sear on fairly high heat on the stove top in a cast iron skillet for about 1:30 mins each side (give or take depending on how thick the steak is) and then transfer the skillet to the oven at high heat (425 or so) and cook until your desired taste.

:thumbsup:

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

on a stovetop????

Let the steak sit out until its room temperature, then put a cast iron skillet in a oven and heat it to 500 degrees, without the broiler if possible. Once it's hot take the skillet out and put it on the stove at high. While it's heating coat the steak with kosher salt, ground pepper and canola oil. Put the steak on the skillet for 30 seconds on each side (don't touch it until it's time to flip) then flip it back to the original side and put it in the oven for two minutes each side. (for medium do it for three minutes)

When it comes out you want it to sit on a grooved pan or simply take a small plate and place it into a large one upside down and place it there so that the steak won't sit in juice while its resting, and while it's resting cover the plate/pan with aluminum foil. Let it rest for three minutes.

This is basically how the average steakhouse cooks as running a grill as hot as possible gets expensive after a while.

beg4mercy

Star
Registered

Some people just like sauce. I see folks douse their food with hot sauce before they even taste the food.

True dat! My uncle puts salt on shit that's already seasoned before he even tastes the shit. Lol. It's to each his own...

sumofyallniggasisbitches2

BootyEnthusiast; Ass-preneur
BGOL Investor
I just had this WONDERFUL Wagyu steak!!!! Kobe Beef is where its at my brothas.... You need to try it at least once

imag1_64___uaka6ls9.jpg

And I put steak sauce on it

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered

Over 20$ for a steak and i see anyone putting sauce on it i'm walking over to them and slapping the shit out of them.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Peter Luger given zero stars in brutal New York Times review
By Ebony Bowden
October 29, 2019 | 12:04pm | Updated

Enlarge Image

Peter Luger Steak House in NYC

Peter Luger Steak HouseGetty Images

MORE ON:
PETER LUGER
Peter Luger owners rip brutal, zero-star New York Times review

NYC's 'best steakhouse,' Peter Luger, launches online reservations

Famed steakhouse sues former employee for ripping off name

Fired Goldman banker fished for inside info over steak dinner

New York institution Peter Luger has been ripped as a washed-up, overpriced scam in an excoriating zero-star review by the New York Times.
The blistering critique by the newspaper’s restaurant critic Pete Wells plunges in the steak knife — describing the South Williamsburg eatery’s porterhouse as “far from the best New York has to offer.”
“And after I’ve paid, there is the unshakable sense that I’ve been scammed,” Wells wrote on Tuesday under the headline “Peter Luger used to sizzle. Now it sputters.”
The review has sparked a chorus of consensus online from other unsatisfied diners who agree the lauded steak icon which opened in 1887 is no longer worth the long waits and seismic bills.
“I feel like that Peter Luger review has been coming for a while now,” wrote former Yankees pitcher Phil Hughes on Twitter, calling the restaurant “wildly forgettable in every way.”
Well’s appraisal is a laundry list of complaints, describing the waiters as rude, the food dreadful and the management miserable.
The shrimp cocktail tastes like “cold latex dipped in ketchup and horseradish,” while the once-delicious German fried potatoes are now “mushy, dingy, gray and sometimes cold.”
“Was the Caesar salad always so drippy, the croutons always straight out of a bag, the grated cheese always so white and rubbery?” Wells pondered.
peter-luger-31.jpg

Enlarge ImageThe porterhouse steak at Peter Luger Steak HouseStefano Giovannini
“You start to wonder who really needs to go to Peter Luger, and start to think the answer is nobody,” he added.
Dubbed one of the best steakhouses in the city, porterhouse for four will lighten your wallet at $229.80.
But Wells accused the 132-year-old institution of being incapable of producing a delicious and well-cooked slab of boeuf — calling the kitchen well past its prime.
SEE ALSO
1572406326035.gif
“It rarely achieves a hypnotic or compelling or even interesting [steak],” Wells lamented in the devastating review.
“What gnaws at me every time I eat a Luger porterhouse in the realization that it’s just another steak, and far from the best New York has to offer,” he added.
“Other restaurants, not just steakhouses, can put a formidable crust on both sides of the cut; Luger caramelizes the top side only, while the underside is barely past raw, as if it had done all its cooking on the hot platter.”
Peter Luger’s fourth-generation owner Peter Turtel did not immediately respond to request for comment.
The other rub for the famed food critic was what he called the gouging of customers by a management he believed “seems to go out of its way to make things inconvenient.”
“Diners who walk in the door eager to hand over literal piles of money aren’t greeted; they’re processed,” he said.
“The Department of Motor Vehicles is a block party compared with the line at Peter Luger.”
Wells is famed for his searing restaurant reviews. In 2012, the critic penned a savage zero-star review of Guy Fieri’s now-shuttered Times Square tourist trap, Guy’s American Kitchen Bar, which sparked headlines for its unforgiving takedown.
“Guy Fieri, have you eaten at your new restaurant in Times Square?” Wells wrote. “Hey, did you try that blue drink, the one that glows like nuclear waste? The watermelon margarita? Any idea why it tastes like some combination of radiator fluid and formaldehyde?”

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
By Jacob Henry and Ebony Bowden
October 29, 2019 | 4:19pm

pete-luger-steakhouse-review-01-1.jpg
Peter Luger’s owners and staff are not taking a brutal New York Times zero-star review lying down — telling The Post they won’t be beholden to food trends and the whims of The Gray Lady.

“We know who we are and have always been. The best steak you can eat. Not the latest kale salad,” Peter Luger co-owner Jody Storch said on Tuesday in the wake of the blistering critique by Times restaurant reviewer Pete Wells.

The searing review began trending nationwide on Twitter on Tuesday after Wells gave the fabled institution an abysmal zero-star review — describing the South Williamsburg eatery’s porterhouse as “far from the best New York has to offer.”

“And after I’ve paid, there is the unshakable sense that I’ve been scammed,” Wells wrote on Tuesday under the headline “Peter Luger used to sizzle. Now it sputters.”

But Storch said the Times had reviewed the restaurant many times in the past — sometimes giving them four stars, sometimes less.

“While the reviewers and their whims have changed, Lugers has always focused on doing one thing exceptionally well — serving the highest quality of steak — with a member of our family buying every piece of USDA Prime beef individually, just as we have done for decades,” Storch said.

Another waiter who has worked at the restaurant for three decades told The Post he thought the Times had nothing nice to say about Peter Luger for fifty years.

“Nothing is good enough,” the man who declined to be named said. “When [Wells] was here taking pictures, we had bets in the back on how much garbage he was going to write.”

The man said the food was “better than ever” and called the owners “meticulous” about the quality of the meat.

“The meat has always been our prime objective. We only have steak. If you go to a steakhouse to eat fish, then what are you doing?” he asked, referencing Wells’ review of the “dry and almost powdery” sole.

The review sparked a chorus of consensus online from other unsatisfied diners who agree the lauded steak icon which opened in 1887 is no longer worth the long waits and seismic bills.

“I feel like that Peter Luger review has been coming for a while now,” wrote Phil Hughes on Twitter, calling the restaurant “wildly forgettable in every way.”

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
If the steak is cooked the way it should be steak sauce wouldn't be required.

I gotta get to Pete Lyger's when I'm back in the city. I heard that spot is pure heaven on earth. Never had PL's steak sauce.
Does this include washing the meat in a stream ?

ACUR-JPEG.jpg

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
after finding the right combo of spices and cuts of meat I refuse to go to a steak house unless I’m just dripping with per diem money.

a 1inch to 1 inch and quarter thick bone in ribeye

A leisurely amount of Himalayan salt on all sides with pepper garlic and cayenne

coat all sides

couple drops of liquid smoke

leave uncovered in the refrigerator for two days to “cure” or kinda dry age the meat.

Cook to preference

this steak recipe will have you never going to a steakhouse again. Ever.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
after finding the right combo of spices and cuts of meat I refuse to go to a steak house unless I’m just dripping with per diem money.

A leisurely amount of Himalayan salt on all sides with pepper garlic and cayenne

coat all sides

leave uncovered in the refrigerator for two days to “cure” or kinda dry age the meat.

Cook to preference

I use liquid smoke as well. Goes good on blackened chicken to put in salads.

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

coat all sides

Cook to preference

I was with you up until liquid smoke. Tastes artificial. I'd just reverse sear it on the grill get the flavor for real.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I been both places and the Capital Grille in Philly. I prefer PL over CG. My only complaint about PL is the cash only payment.

Harris steak house in San Fran prpoby has the best steak I have ever eaten. Sullivan's in Philly has a pretty decent steak too. Cant go wrong with old homestead or Gallaghers but I still prefer PL over all of them.

I go to PL's pretty often.........and while it's definitely not the best steak in the city, it's certainly worth the money. and......steak sauce on a well cooked steak is like putting lube on a soakin wet pussy...........overkill/might even ruin it.

IMHO, the best steak in the city can be had at The Capital Grille by Wall Street:cool: