Star Trek: Discovery Season 5 will be the final season - April 2024 debut

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Star Trek: Discovery Is Making The Unaired Pilot More Important

Star-Trek-Discovery-Season-2-and-Unaired-Pilot.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery season 2 is bringing greater significance to Star Trek's original unaired pilot than ever before. In episode 8, "If Memory Serves", Spock (Ethan Peck) returns to Talos IV, which will give new context to "The Cage" as the franchise re-introduces its inaugural aliens for the first time since The Original Series. Indeed, much of season 2 thus far has established a more meaningful bond between the CBS All-Access series and the scrapped 1966 pilot.

In Star Trek's lore, "The Cage" was more of a curiosity than anything else and it has been mostly forgotten since season 1 of The Original Series. The first Star Trek pilot produced by creator Gene Roddenberry, which ultimately became a prototype of the series that finally aired starring William Shatner as Captain Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, "The Cage" starred Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Christopher Pike, Majel Barrett as Number One, and Nimoy as Spock, but NBC determined the pilot "too cerebral" and told Roddenberry to start over. After he retooled Star Trek(keeping only Spock and the Starship Enterprise), Roddenberry cleverly repurposed "The Cage"'s footage to air as the season 1 two-part episode "The Menagerie", which concluded the story of Pike and Talos IV. Or so fans thought.

"The Cage" isn't really considered a "must-see" episode of Star Trek and even in "The Menagerie", the story of Spock being court-martialed by Kirk is arguably more compelling than the footage of the original pilot. However, 53 years later, Star Trek: Discovery has not only pulled the events of "The Cage" out of the history books, but the series is also successfully recontextualizing Star Trek's original Captain and the events of the unaired pilot. The results are making "The Cage" more important than they have been since Star Trek's very beginnings. Here's how Star Trek: Discoveryseason 2 is shedding new light on the characters and concepts that Gene Roddenberry originally envisioned.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2-tos-pilot-connections/

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
What's with all the section 31 bits. Aren't they suppose to be a secret organisation and such.....

They are, unfortunately continuity is not this show's strong suit.

Apparently, they were so secretive in the 22nd century that Captain Archer knew nothing about them. In the 24th century Sisko knew nothing about them. But in the 23rd century EVERYONE knew about them.

This video illustrates the inconsistency

Reactions: MCP

donhustle

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not digging this season as much as the first. Burnam ain't the star anymore she just bucks her eyes alot and the give fat ass Tilly too much screentime.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They need to give the rest of the cast more screen time. I enjoyed this episode "The Sounds of Thunder" and the short trek "The Brightest Star" alot. I want to see more episodes like these.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Episode 6 "The Sound of Thunder" Breakdown & References!

Empire

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not digging this season as much as the first. Burnam ain't the star anymore she just bucks her eyes alot and the give fat ass Tilly too much screentime.

Yeah I feel the same way, having Spock be the focused of this season takes away from her light.

Was it ever covered why Spock never mentioned her in any of the other shows?

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
They are, unfortunately continuity is not this show's strong suit.

Apparently, they were so secretive in the 22nd century that Captain Archer knew nothing about them. In the 24th century Sisko knew nothing about them. But in the 23rd century EVERYONE knew about them.

This video illustrates the inconsistency

i really disagree with this.

it seems that a handful of ships/bases out of all of starfleet know something about section 31. that is a far cry from saying that everyone knows about them.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Yeah I feel the same way, having Spock be the focused of this season takes away from her light.

Was it ever covered why Spock never mentioned her in any of the other shows?

i agree that the spock mentions should have been a back drop. especially since he didn't even come on screen until late in the season.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
i really disagree with this.

it seems that a handful of ships/bases out of all of starfleet know something about section 31. that is a far cry from saying that everyone knows about them.

Pike, Burnham, and Tyler all instantly recognized section 31 just by looking at a comm badge. There's no way that many people who had no prior affiliation with section 31 should recognize them that easily. And now that Tyler is a member, everyone on Discovery knows about them as well. Spock's probably going to find out too.

That's a lot of people.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Pike, Burnham, and Tyler all instantly recognized section 31 just by looking at a comm badge. There's no way that many people who had no prior affiliation with section 31 should recognize them that easily. And now that Tyler is a member, everyone on Discovery knows about them as well. Spock's probably going to find out too.

That's a lot of people.

u say potato. i say potato.

we can agree to disagree. starfleet is made up of millions of beings across multiple galaxies. you mentioned pretty much one ship.

all secret organizations have rumors/conspiracy theories about them. knowing what a black com-badge is for is no stretch. the better question/plot hole is why would section 31 wear identifying com-badges at all outside of their ship/ranks? now i gave you something else to gripe about.

this is probably the most irritating thing to be nit picking about. especially after many of the other nitpicks have already been resolved. people are looking for a reason to not like the show. but this is one of the best sci-fi shows on in the past few years along with WW and BSG.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
u say potato. i say potato.

we can agree to disagree. starfleet is made up of millions of beings across multiple galaxies. you mentioned pretty much one ship.

all secret organizations have rumors/conspiracy theories about them. knowing what a black com-badge is for is no stretch. the better question/plot hole is why would section 31 wear identifying com-badges at all outside of their ship/ranks? now i gave you something else to gripe about.

this is probably the most irritating thing to be nit picking about. especially after many of the other nitpicks have already been resolved. people are looking for a reason to not like the show. but this is one of the best sci-fi shows on in the past few years along with WW and BSG.

If the rumors/conspiracy theories were that prevalent how come no one on deep space nine said "oh, I've heard about them". Neither Pike nor Burnham were surprised at all that the other knew all about the organization, nor were they surprised that something that was supposed to only be a rumor turned out to be real. We will have to agree to disagree because I'm not sold on that explanation. Section 31's existence will have to be added to the list of things that an entire ship of people aren't supposed to know about along side knowledge of the mirror universe.

Also Sarek getting choked up was very unvulcan of him. He raised his voice a couple of times in Star Trek 3, but choking back tears??? :smh:

Since y'all like the show, I'll throw in one positive, the updated Talosians looked good. They modernized them while staying true to the original intention. Same with the Andorians.

PIMPSTARInc

Star
BGOL Investor
just got around to watching this video. :lol:

it is ridiculous without context.

Don’t forget section 31 first appears in DS9 Which is about 200 or so years after the Discovery series place.
My guess is there is some incident, some cluster fuck if you will, that forces section 31 to go underground. And that’s why no one had ever heard of them by the time DS9 comes around.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The exclusive report mentioned an on-set disagreement between Mount and a director that became physical, but noted that the actor did not receive any disciplinary action after CBS HR reviewed the situation. He even apologized to the director in question, and the source clarified that it was unrelated to the end of Pike's arc and that the production "would love to find a way to work with Anson again.”

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just watched. what an ending! Sonja Sohn damnit!!!!

Can anyone explain what happened to captain Leeland with the eye poke thing.?

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Don’t forget section 31 first appears in DS9 Which is about 200 or so years after the Discovery series place.
My guess is there is some incident, some cluster fuck if you will, that forces section 31 to go underground. And that’s why no one had ever heard of them by the time DS9 comes around.

From our perspective they first appeared on DS9, in the Star Trek timeline they were first mentioned in Enterprise. So they were underground, then more visible, then underground again.