Sports Cacing Till It Hurts: Denver Coach Nick Fangio - “I don’t see racism at all in the NFL" others getting EXPOSED UPDATE: GRUDEN

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jake Fromm

:hithead:

Jake Fromm and I share the same town, County, and more specifically, high school alma mater.

I was part of the first complete graduation class at this high school, 9th-12th.

His parents own the premiere pool installation and accessories company in the city.
NFL is full of cowards. Kap is better off not playing with these fuckers.
NFL is full of non-guaranteed contract holding employees.

Kap is better off not not playing with these f*ckers.

I love what the players in the NBA do, however, they do that from a place of guaranteed income.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Eh1Au8tXsAAbZa6

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Curran: Fangio says postponement ‘identifies the whiners’

4H AGO
/BY TOM E. CURRAN

USA TODAY Sports photo

Tom E. Curran
PATS INSIDER

on’t know much about Vic Fangio other than his coaching background. But after reading his remarks after Sunday’s postponement of Broncos-Patriots, I’ve decided I like the cut of his jib.D
While some of his players raged on social media about practicing all week for a game that wouldn’t be played and losing a bye week to boot, Fangio kept it sanguine.
“All of this stuff is going to seem unfair when you’re initially hit with it,” Fangio said via transcript released by the Broncos. “We’ve prepared for a game and the game first got moved for one day but now it’s getting moved totally. So, yeah it’s going to seem unfair and you’re going to ask, ‘Why are we doing this?’
“My message to them and to anybody is that we were inconvenienced by this — but it easily could have been turned around where we had the positive test and the Patriots were inconvenienced by it,” he said. “I’m happy that the positive tests weren’t in our building but I’m under no illusion that at some point we might have a positive test or two and be the cause of a game getting moved down the road.
“We’re all in this together,” said Fangio. “The entire league is. We compete like hell on Sundays to beat each other but ultimately we’re all in on this thing together. It doesn’t matter who’s at fault or who has the positive tests, we all just have to deal with it.”
ADVERTISEMENT

There’s no shortage of coaches who’ll throw themselves on the floor and commence kicking and screaming over the slightest inconvenience. I get being competitive, but – in my opinion – if the guy in charge can’t take some adversity without having an aneurysm, that just invites excuse-making by the rank-and-file.

“In a weird way, I’m really happy it’s happening for our team. It identifies the whiners — who are the whiners. Who can’t handle adversity? Who gets hijacked by inconveniences? We don’t want those guys. We want people who deal with this without the whining, who take this inconvenience as an opportunity to get better.”
The tenor of the Broncos and the Patriots will be interesting to observe as this week plays out with the specter of the virus popping up again – for either team – always looming.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Denver Broncos QB Drew Lock sorry for 'slip' in following COVID-19 protocols

DENVER -- As former practice squad wide receiver Kendall Hinton warmed up inside Empower Field at Mile High to start at quarterback Sunday for the Denver Broncos, the team's usual starting quarterback, Drew Lock, took to social media to apologize for a "mistake'' in following the NFL's COVID-19 protocols.

Lock, Brett Rypien and Blake Bortles, who was on the practice squad, were all removed from Saturday's practice and told to isolate after being designated as "high-risk'' close contacts to quarterback Jeff Driskel, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.
Lock admitted Sunday the quarterbacks had not followed the league's guidelines for masks when the quarterbacks had been in a meeting together.
"In a controlled and socially distanced area, we let our masking slip for a limited amount of time. An honest mistake, but one I will own," Lock wrote in a statement. "I sincerely apologize and I fully understand why these safety precautions are so important. Doing the right thing for a majority of the time is not good enough.

"I pray for my teammates' health, safety and success today. I look forward to getting back on the field next week. Go Broncos.''

Lock, Rypien and Bortles are not experiencing symptoms and have tested negative since they were last in a meeting with Driskel on Wednesday. Driskel's positive test result came back Thursday morning and he was moved to the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Sunday was the third game Lock has missed this season; he was out for two games (and the majority of a third) earlier this season with a right shoulder injury.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Vic Fangio ‘Disappointed’ Drew Lock And Other Broncos Quarterbacks Put Team In Difficult Position
November 30, 2020 at 5:20 am
Filed Under:Colorado News, Denver Broncos News, Denver News, Injury Report

DENVER (CBS4/AP) – Quarterbacks Drew Lock, Brett Rypien and Blake Bortles were pulled off the Broncos practice field Saturday and sent home after the NFL deemed them high-risk close contacts of Jeff Driskel, who tested positive for the coronavirus on Thanksgiving Day. It turns out, the four Denver QBs had gathered for some film study on their own Tuesday, the players’ day off, “which is commendable,” coach Vic Fangio said after Denver’s 31-3 loss to New Orleans on Sunday.

Drew Lock during practice last week (credit: CBS)

But the four QBs didn’t wear their mandated masks or keep their social distance, something the league discovered in looking at surveillance footage. None were allowed to play against the Saints.

ADVERTISING

An hour before kickoff, Lock issued an apology, an explanation and a defense in a lengthy Twitter post.

“In a controlled and socially distanced area, we let our masking slip for a limited amount of time. An honest mistake, but one I will own,” Lock wrote, adding, “I sincerely apologize and I fully understand why these safety precautions are so important. Doing the right thing for a majority of the time is not good enough.”

Fangio, whose team fell to 4-7 with Kendall Hinton as the emergency starter at QB, said he was “disappointed on a couple of levels” that his quarterbacks’ actions put his team and the NFL into a difficult position.
(credit: CBS)

“We count on them to be the leaders of the team and leaders of the offense and those guys made a mistake and that is disappointing,” Fangio said. “Obviously, I haven’t done a good enough job of selling the protocols to them when they are on their own so part of that could fall on me. I thought I was.

“We have emphasized it a lot and we’re really doing good with COVID up to this point … relative to other teams. There was a failing there and that’s disappointing.”

When the league informed the Broncos that their QBs had violated COVID-19 protocols and had to quarantine, the Broncos pleaded with league commissioner Roger Goodell to postpone their game against the Saints a day or two.

Making that argument were Fangio, who was fined earlier this season for not wearing a mask on the sideline, and two executives in general manager John Elway and team president Joe Ellis who were infected by the virus earlier this month.

“I feel like maybe it could have been moved, but at the same time, maybe the league (was) just making an example of us,” said safety Kareem Jackson.

Fangio demurred when asked if the NFL’s refusal to push the game back was unfair, saying that was a question for Elway or Ellis.

“Terribly unfortunate,” Elway posted on Facebook after the league disqualified his three healthy quarterbacks.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Broncos ugly QB situation: Here's why Denver couldn't sign a free agent QB and why game didn't get postponed
The Broncos will have zero active quarterbacks on their roster for their Week 12 game against New Orleans

By John Breech

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:23 pm ET2 min read

Getty Images
The pandemic has created some crazy situations for NFL teams this year, but none of them will be crazier than what the Denver Broncos have to deal with on Sunday. For their game against New Orleans, all four of the quarterbacks on Denver's roster have been ruled ineligible for the game due to COVID-19 concerns, which means, yup, they have no quarterbacks.
With zero quarterbacks on their roster, you might be wondering why Denver just didn't simply go out and sign a free agent -- like Colin Kaepernick or literally anyone else -- and the answer to that question is that signing someone wasn't an option because that player wouldn't have been allowed to play on Sunday.
Under NFL COVID protocols that went into effect on Oct. 17, a newly acquired player has to sit out for six days before he's allowed to join his new team. For instance, if a player is signed on a Monday, that would be considered Day 1 of his six-day period. As long as the player tests negative for COVID over that span, he'd be allowed to enter his new team's facility on the sixth day.
In the Broncos' case, if they had signed a quarterback on Saturday, the absolutely earliest the player would have been allowed to practice with the team would have been the following Thursday, which means signing a free agent simply wasn't an option for the Broncos.
It was a wild Week 12 Sunday and there's a lot to go over. John Breech, Ryan Wilson and host Will Brinson break it all down on the Pick Six Podcast; listen below and be sure to subscribe for daily NFL goodness fired into your eardrums.

The Broncos' crazy situation started on Thanksgiving after backup QB Jeff Driskel tested positive for COVID. At that point, the Broncos knew they were going to be down a man, but then the NFL threw them a curveball on Saturday when the other three quarterbacks on their roster -- Drew Lock, Brett Rypien, and Blake Bortles -- were deemed ineligible due to contact tracing concerns.
With all four quarterbacks out, the Broncos will be turning to practice squad receiver Kendall Hinton. The Broncos were so desperate for a quarterback that they actually asked the NFL if one of their assistant coaches could be signed to the active roster, but the league shot them down. Instead, the Broncos will be rolling with Hinton, who did play some quarterback during his freshman year at Wake Forest, but he hasn't really played any snaps at the position since 2015. For more on Hinton, be sure to click here.
If you're wondering why the NFL didn't move the game to Monday or Tuesday -- like the league has down with multiple other games this season -- the reason is that the Broncos didn't have an outbreak of COVID. They has an issue that was confined to one position group (quarterbacks) and the NFL has insisted all season that games will be played if there's no threat of an outbreak.

It's also possible the league decided not to give the Broncos any sort of benefit of the doubt after it was discovered the team wasn't following the NFL's COVID protocols.

According to Mark Maske of The Washington Post, all four quarterbacks failed to wear masks in meetings and after Driskel tested positive, the other three quarterbacks weren't cooperative with the contact tracers from the NFL and NFLPA.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Broncos ugly QB situation: Here's why Denver couldn't sign a free agent QB and why game didn't get postponed
The Broncos will have zero active quarterbacks on their roster for their Week 12 game against New Orleans

By John Breech

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:23 pm ET2 min read

Getty Images
The pandemic has created some crazy situations for NFL teams this year, but none of them will be crazier than what the Denver Broncos have to deal with on Sunday. For their game against New Orleans, all four of the quarterbacks on Denver's roster have been ruled ineligible for the game due to COVID-19 concerns, which means, yup, they have no quarterbacks.
With zero quarterbacks on their roster, you might be wondering why Denver just didn't simply go out and sign a free agent -- like Colin Kaepernick or literally anyone else -- and the answer to that question is that signing someone wasn't an option because that player wouldn't have been allowed to play on Sunday.
Under NFL COVID protocols that went into effect on Oct. 17, a newly acquired player has to sit out for six days before he's allowed to join his new team. For instance, if a player is signed on a Monday, that would be considered Day 1 of his six-day period. As long as the player tests negative for COVID over that span, he'd be allowed to enter his new team's facility on the sixth day.
In the Broncos' case, if they had signed a quarterback on Saturday, the absolutely earliest the player would have been allowed to practice with the team would have been the following Thursday, which means signing a free agent simply wasn't an option for the Broncos.
It was a wild Week 12 Sunday and there's a lot to go over. John Breech, Ryan Wilson and host Will Brinson break it all down on the Pick Six Podcast; listen below and be sure to subscribe for daily NFL goodness fired into your eardrums.

The Broncos' crazy situation started on Thanksgiving after backup QB Jeff Driskel tested positive for COVID. At that point, the Broncos knew they were going to be down a man, but then the NFL threw them a curveball on Saturday when the other three quarterbacks on their roster -- Drew Lock, Brett Rypien, and Blake Bortles -- were deemed ineligible due to contact tracing concerns.
With all four quarterbacks out, the Broncos will be turning to practice squad receiver Kendall Hinton. The Broncos were so desperate for a quarterback that they actually asked the NFL if one of their assistant coaches could be signed to the active roster, but the league shot them down. Instead, the Broncos will be rolling with Hinton, who did play some quarterback during his freshman year at Wake Forest, but he hasn't really played any snaps at the position since 2015. For more on Hinton, be sure to click here.
If you're wondering why the NFL didn't move the game to Monday or Tuesday -- like the league has down with multiple other games this season -- the reason is that the Broncos didn't have an outbreak of COVID. They has an issue that was confined to one position group (quarterbacks) and the NFL has insisted all season that games will be played if there's no threat of an outbreak.

It's also possible the league decided not to give the Broncos any sort of benefit of the doubt after it was discovered the team wasn't following the NFL's COVID protocols.

According to Mark Maske of The Washington Post, all four quarterbacks failed to wear masks in meetings and after Driskel tested positive, the other three quarterbacks weren't cooperative with the contact tracers from the NFL and NFLPA.

So ummm

aint this the COACH'S RESPONSIBILITY???

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Four Denver Broncos QBs fined by team for not wearing masks

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos coach Vic Fangio said Wednesday that the team has fined all four of its quarterbacks for violations of COVOD-19 protocols, including not wearing masks.

Two of the quarterbacks, Drew Lock and Brett Rypien, returned to practice Wednesday. Lock, Rypien and Blake Bortles, who is on the practice squad, were not eligible to play in Sunday's 31-3 loss to the New Orleans Saints after being deemed high-risk close contacts of quarterback Jeff Driskel, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday. Fangio had said earlier this week that all forms of discipline were "on the table" for the four.

More discipline, including a fine to the organization as well as the loss of a draft pick, could come from the NFL in the days and weeks ahead.
Fangio also said Wednesday that Bortles would not practice with the team to "limit his exposure here." In addition, the Broncos have Kyle Shurmur, who spent last season with the Kansas City Chiefs and is Broncos offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur's son, going through COVID-19 testing in case the team wants to add him to the practice squad.
Driskel remains on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
Lock, who has tested negative throughout the past week, was throwing with the starters in Wednesday's practice and is expected to start Sunday against the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium.

"We came in on that Tuesday and got some extra work in when no one was here, and we got too lackadaisical with [the protocols]," he said Wednesday. "It ended up hurting us and it hurt this program and I apologize for letting that happen. We could have been better. That's the point of the matter here. We needed to be perfect and we weren't perfect. That's something that we've got to be better at."

The Broncos used running backs Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman at quarterback at times in the loss to the Saints. Practice squad wide receiver Kendall Hinton, who played quarterback in three of his seasons at Wake Forest, played just over half of the team's snaps at quarterback.
Hinton finished 1-of-9 passing for 13 yards with two interceptions as the Broncos gained just 112 yards overall, their lowest output in a game since a 1992 loss in Washington.

"Watching it was a gut-wrenching feeling the whole time," Lock said. "It was tough. It was really tough. It wasn't something that I enjoyed doing. I would much rather have been out there on the field helping my teammates out. It hurt my heart, hurt my soul."

Lock said he saw Hinton on Monday outside the building where the players are tested each morning for COVID-19.

"I was just really proud of him to be able to go out there and try to lead that team against such a good defense," Lock said. "He showed a lot of heart and he gained the respect of pretty much this whole team."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Eagles considered interviewing Josh McCown for head coach prior to hiring Nick Sirianni
McCown is viewed as a high-upside and likely has a bright future in coaching

https://www.cbssports.com/writers/jason-la-canfora/

By Jason La Canfora

9 mins ago1 min read

Getty Images
Texans back-up quarterback Josh McCown's interview for Houston's head coaching position came as a shock to many around the NFL, but they were not the only team to consider it. Sources said Philadelphia, where McCown wowed the staff and front office with his leadership, football acumen and people skills during his stint there as a quarterback, also gave very serious consideration to speaking to him as well. They view McCown as a future NFL head coach -- sooner rather than later -- and concocted a creative way to keep him on their practice squad to start 2020, despite him living in Texas and coaching high school football there, because he was such a valuable resource to the coaches and the quarterback room.
The Texans signed McCown to their active roster in midseason, with an eye toward him eventually staying with that organization in a coaching capacity after he retires from playing.
McCown was discussed as a potential interview and given consideration within the Eagles coaching search committee, sources said, but ultimately the fact he had no NFL coaching experience whatsoever led them not to formally request permission to speak to him. (Given how highly the Texans think of him, it's fair to presume that might not have been granted, regardless). The Eagles were intrigued by the prospect of a younger head coach on the offensive side of the ball and ended up hiring Colts assistant Nick Sirianni, 39, who is actually younger than McCown (41).

The Eagles were also very impressed by Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, who is just 34 and only two years into his coaching career (he retired from a distinguished playing career in 2015), but in the end, opted for a head coach with more sweeping coaching experience. The trend of players jumping from active player to head coach in a much faster period of time than has been the norm is something to watch in coming years, and it is only a matter of time before McCown is coaching an NFL team, whether it be in Houston or somewhere else.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Houston Texans hire Baltimore Ravens' David Culley as head coach, sources say
play

10078277_CTV_THUMB_DAVID-CULLEY.jpg

0:57
/
1:40

9:54 PM ET
  • Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have hired Baltimore Ravens assistant David Culley to be their next head coach, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by the Houston Chronicle.
Culley, 65, who has spent the past two seasons in Baltimore, just completed his 27th season as an NFL coach. Along with serving as the team's assistant head coach, Culley was Baltimore's passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. The Ravens finished the 2020 season ranked last in the NFL in passing.

ADVERTISEMENT

"David is just a genuine guy," Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said in a text to ESPN's Ed Werder. "He will be who he is everyday. Has been that guy every day of his career. I'm thrilled for him. Great person. Genuine. Full of energy."
Harbaugh had previously called the Texans' opening a "great opportunity" and said he believed Culley "would be a tremendous hire for any team, maybe, especially, the Texans with Deshaun Watson."
EDITOR'S PICKS
The Ravens will receive two third-round compensatory picks (one in 2021 and another in 2022) for Culley getting hired from their staff. This comes from a resolution adopted in November that is meant to incentivize NFL teams to develop and hire minority candidates for head-coaching and general manager positions.
Culley will join Robert Saleh of the New York Jets, Brian Flores of the Miami Dolphins, Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Ron Rivera of the Washington Football Team as active minority head coaches in the league.
Culley has never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level. He was also an assistant head coach for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2013 to '16, and spent the 2017 and '18 seasons as the Buffalo Bills' quarterbacks coach. When the Ravens hired Culley in 2019, Harbaugh said the coach was highly respected "as a teacher, game-planner and motivator."
When the Texans fired head coach and general manager Bill O'Brien in October, Houston became the first team with an opening for either position. The Texans hired Nick Caserio as their new general manager earlier this month and gave him the reins to their head-coaching search.
David Culley's Prior Coaching Stops

SEASONSTEAMROLE
2019-20Ravensassistant head coach/passing game coordinator/WR coach
2017-18BillsQB coach
2013-16Chiefsassistant head coach/WR coach
1999-2012Eaglesprimarily WR coach, also senior offensive assistant from 2011-12
1996-98SteelersWR coach
1994-95BuccaneersWR coach
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Along with Culley, Houston interviewed Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell, Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus and current Texans quarterback Josh McCown after Caserio took over. The Texans also interviewed Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley before he was hired by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Amid the Texans' coaching search, sources told ESPN that Watson was not happy with the process the organization used to hire Caserio. And sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that regardless of whom the Texans hired as their next head coach, Watson's desire to be traded was not expected to change.
The Texans are coming off a 4-12 season, one in which Watson played the best football of his NFL career. The fourth-year quarterback set career highs in touchdowns, passing yards and completion percentage. He also threw a career-low seven interceptions.

Last edited: