Forgotten Sports History: When the Black Super Bowl MVP was NOT invited to Disneyland but the White QB was

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

MVP DOESN'T ALWAYS GO TO DISNEYLAND
PERNELL WATSON Daily PressDaily Press

Privacy Policy

Q:Why didn't Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson get the Disneyland commercial? I thought the MVP always says, "I'm going to Disneyland." -- K.L., Newport News

A: A trip to Disneyland and starring role in Disney's "What's Next" commercial is not one of the perks for the football player selected MVP of the Super Bowl.

However, the ad has featured the MVP in 12 of the 16 years the commercial has aired at the end of the Super Bowl.

Winning Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brad Johnson was selected to star in this year's Disney commercial.

The commercial, where a selected football player looks into Disney hired cameras and says, "I'm going to Disneyland!" is one of company's most recognizable commercials. It was inspired during a lunch with Jane Eisner, the wife of Disney head Michael Eisner, and Voyager aircraft co-pilots Dick Rutan and Jeanna Yeager. Eisner asked Yeager what she could possibly do next and she jokingly answered, "I guess go to Disneyland." The group laughed and said it would make a great commercial. Eisner agreed and pitched it to the creative people at Disney.

The campaign began in 1987 when Super Bowl XXI MVP Phil Simms of the New York Giants said he was going to Disneyland after winning the Super Bowl.

FYI: Tampa Bay Buccaneer defensive back Dexter Jackson became the eighth defensive player to earn Super Bowl MVP honors.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
After the Super Bowl, Brothers Dissed Again
by Paulette Brown-HindsFebruary 23, 2003

By Marvin Wamble
How in the heck did Tampa Bay quarterback Brad Johnson get a trip to Disneyland after the Bucs victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII?
Johnson did not get one MVP vote following the Bucs 48-21 dismantling of the Raiders, but there he was the following day hanging out with Mickey Mouse on Main Street. Thats a shame.
Why Mickey dissed Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson is a question that may never be answered, especially since Mickey doesnt talk.
Jacksons Disneyland exclusion is just one of several disappointments related to the Super Bowl and the National Football League.
The Tampa Bay defense was huge in the Bucs Super Bowl victory, flexing its muscles to put a super-sized whipping on the leagues top-rated offensive.
Jackson, Tampa Bays free safety, snatched two first-half interceptions to earn MVP honors that could have easily gone to Simeon Rice, Dwight Smith or Michael Pittmanall African-Americans.
Instead of honoring one of the defensive stars, the commercial and Disneyland visit went to Johnson. Does that seem a bit strange?
Traditionally it is the MVP of the Super Bowl who gets to say, Im going to Disneyland. According to published reports, the company chooses a glamour player on both teams before the game and the pre-selected player from the winning team gets the keys to the Magic Kingdom.
Is Johnson the best they could do? I know he looks like the All-American, clean cut kid, but give me a break. Going into the game everyone knew it was going to be the tale of the Tampa Bay defense vs. Oaklands top-rated offense.
If they didnt want Mickey dancing with a brother during the parade down Main Street, they could have at least picked safety John Lynch.
All was not lost, however. Jackson won a Cadillac for his MVP efforts. In some circles, back in the day, that would have been an insult (Give the boy a Cadillac, but keep him away from Disneyland).
But Jackson seemed okay driving into the sunset in his new Escalade. I was disappointed, I always wanted to hang out with Mickey Mouse and the boys, he said after the game.
I wasnt selected and thats fine. I can ride by Disneyland in my new Cadillac on my own. Itll be great. So Ill just toot my horn when I ride by Disneyland. Ill go to Six Flags [over Georgia] or somewhere in Atlanta.
Jackson was not the only brother feeling a little left out after the Super Bowl. Hes not talking, but you have to know that former Tampa Bay coach Tony Dungy can only wonder why he was fired on the brink of a championship.
The defense that dominated the Super Bowl was assembled by Dungy, currently the head coach in Indianapolis. Gruden was lucky enough to inherit Warren Sapp, Simone Rice, Derrick Brooks and a defensive scheme that punished opponents all year.
Without the six years of defensive architecture by Dungy, Tampa would have lost in the first round of the playoffs. Gruden seemed to appreciate Dungys work, crediting the former coach with building the leagues most dominating defense. I wonder if the Glazer family will send Tony a Super Bowl ring?
African-American football coaches who didnt want to be dissed took their phones off the hook in the immediate aftermath of the Super Bowl. Why? Detroit Lions head coach Marty Mornhiweg (not a brother) was fired and the position was earmarked for former San Francisco 49er coach Steve Mariucci (also not a brother).
According to an agreement among NFL owners, spawned by pressure from attorneys Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. and Cyrus Mehri, owners are supposed to interview a minority candidate for every opening.
But many African-American coaches are tired of token interviews. Why talk to an owner you know is not going to give you a job. The entire process is ludicrous.
Owners are not going to turn over their multi-million dollar investment to an African-American they do not know. We are going to have to face the facts that despite African-Americans making up close to 67 percent of the players in the NFL, there will probably never be more than four African-American head coaches working in the NFL at one time.
Heck, if brothers cant get invited to ride with a mouse in a parade at Disneyland, how difficult will it be to get a head coaching job from a NFL team owner?
Marvin Wamble is an award-winning sports columnist with more than 12 years experience covering sports in California, Texas and Washington, D.C. Wamble also hosted several sports talk radio shows in Dallas.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
An unlikely MVP, Jackson finds happiness working with kids
Published: Feb 01, 2012 at 10:38 AM
When you win the Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player award, you go to Disneyland or Disney World. It began with Giants quarterback Phil Simms in 1986, and that is how it has worked since.
You're the MVP. You shoot the commercial at the end of the game -- "I'm going to Disneyland!" -- minutes later, it's on the air. Everybody goes.
Well, except Dexter Jackson. He told me this week how the league decided to select then-Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden and quarterback Brad Johnson for the honor after the Bucs manhandled the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.
Harrison: Ranking Super Bowls, 1-45
Find out where the Giants' upset of the Pats in Super Bowl XLII places in NFL history as Elliot Harrison gives his all-time Super Bowl rankings. More ...
It sort of became a controversial subject in the time directly following the game, and Jackson came up with a backup plan.

"I was doing a phone interview and told the guys I was headed to Six Flags with my family," Jackson said. "Well, Six Flags heard about it, said come on out to California so that's what happened."
And that's how it went for Jackson. His two interceptions helped vault Tampa Bay to a 48-21 victory, and because of the Bucs' defensive talent, it wasn't a suprise the MVP came from that side of the ball. But no one thought it would be Jackson.
Except the eventual winner.
"The day before the Super Bowl everyone was making their MVP predictions, it was crazy," Jackson said. "I told a cameraman 'Do me a favor, turn this camera on.' And he did, and I told him I would win MVP, the score, everything. We talked about that tape for a long time after."
Jackson only was doing the boasting facetiously. He didn't really contemplate being the MVP, focusing solely on winning the game instead.
"I didn't think about it until (Bucs safety) John Lynch came up behind me and grabbed me and yelled 'You're the MVP!' " Jackson said.
The strange part of that game is that there were players with better stats. Dwight Smith actually had two interceptions as well -- both returned for TDs -- but one came with the game well out of reach. Michael Pittman ran for 124 yards, and Johnson threw for 215 and two scores.
But Jackson's plays set the tone that day, and he won thanks to the online "fan vote." The final margin came from the four fan votes he got. If it wasn't for that, defensive end Simeon Rice would have won. Yes, technology can be wonderful sometimes.

Smith: Where are they now?
Larry Brown went from unheralded defensive back to Super Bowl XXX hero. Jason Smith catches up with the former Cowboy. More ...
Jackson parlayed his MVP award into a free-agent deal with Arizona after nearly signing with the Steelers. Pittsburgh instead picked Troy Polamalu in the ensuing draft to fill its safety slot -- not a bad consolation prize. Jackson rejoined Tampa Bay in 2004 before finishing his career in Cincinnati in 2009.
Jackson's main focus now is with an Tampa-area group called Mental Heath Care, Inc. Jackson's worked with non-profit organizations for children since college, and you can hear the importance of it in his voice.
The organization is a children's crisis center that helps suicidal, aggressive and at-risk youth. Jackson said there's not nearly enough help for kids in need, and I get the feeling that he'd be doing exactly the same thing he is now regardless of any Super Bowl MVP award.
In the end, it makes sense. He was a safety then, and he's a safety now.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Also Ray Lewis was not selected for the Disney commercial, he was mvps but Dilfer got the Disney ad
Remember ray Lewis kinda had that double murder case and Disney with its fake clean cut image prob didn’t want a person who was involved in a murder trial as the face.. I’m not gonna excuse their other fuckery with the Tampa black mvp.. but when it came to Lewis I’m pretty sure that’s what kinda line Disney would of ran with it

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Remember ray Lewis kinda had that double murder case and Disney with its fake clean cut image prob didn’t want a person who was involved in a murder trial as the face.. I’m not gonna excuse their other fuckery with the Tampa black mvp.. but when it came to Lewis I’m pretty sure that’s what kinda line Disney would of ran with it

very GOOD pouint

but THIS specific one?

that is real f*ckery

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
why has NO ONE seriously asked Disney why these decisions were made.

I don’t think anybody actually pays attention to the commercials.

The commercial normally airs one time after the Trophy presentation. Usually after the Trophy presentation, folks get up from the TV to go to the bathroom, clean up or head home.

Or they turn the TV to another channel or turn it off cuz they got to get up to go to work in the morning.

And majority of folks don’t give a fuck.....like me.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don’t think anybody actually pays attention to the commercials.

The commercial normally airs one time after the Trophy presentation. Usually after the Trophy presentation, folks get up from the TV to go to the bathroom, clean up or head home.

Or they turn the TV to another channel or turn it off cuz they got to get up to go to work in the morning.

And majority of folks don’t give a fuck.....like me.

that's you but the ATHLETES care.

and that commercial became a damn TRADITION.

but forget that...

its not about you caring or not.

Its why the decision was made to that Black man.