**sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Planet!!

shanebp1978

Super Moderator
Re: **sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Plan

Losing a HD is not fun. You try to ignore it, but it stings.

It is worth recovering to me because I had so much rare music, and I literally lose my mind when I think of a song, and I can't hear it, and can't find it anywhere.

Yeah, I'm still pissed about that Western Digital that one of them little cookie monsters tripped up and broke over the holidays.

That is why my place is becoming totally inhospitable to anyone under 25. I mean, no cupcakes, no candy, unplugged TVs, nobody's gonna wanna come over. I'll turn the hot water off in this bitch. :angry::angry:

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: **sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Plan

Losing a HD is not fun. You try to ignore it, but it stings.

It is worth recovering to me because I had so much rare music, and I literally lose my mind when I think of a song, and I can't hear it, and can't find it anywhere.

Yeah, I'm still pissed about that Western Digital that one of them little cookie monsters tripped up and broke over the holidays.

That is why my place is becoming totally inhospitable to anyone under 25. I mean, no cupcakes, no candy, unplugged TVs, nobody's gonna wanna come over. I'll turn the hot water off in this bitch. :angry::angry:
:lol::lol::lol:
Good lookin' out, fam!:yes:

elchoccolatte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Hard to say for me, I done fucked with em all, But i seemed to be most pleased with the Sea-Gate...

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor

I bought a Seagate 250GB last year, so far so good.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator

We need to learn how to recover this ish ourselves

Get data back for ntfs/fat. look for a torrent. it works. I recover all my shit for free.

beof

Rising Star
Registered

I have 4 maxtor drives. 2 failed (160 giggers) a few weeks ago (something inside those fuckas broke, I can hear springs popping and grinding) , 1 wont mount or be reconized by either my mac or 2 pc's , and Im on my last one that was revived with a new enclosure. I bought a 500 gigger Seagate for $92 and am very pleased... Keep in Mind that Maxtor and Seagate are the dame company :(....

blackm00n

Star
Registered

It is true...I am an engineer working for a fortune 500 company, we once installed these on our servers. little overhead, with greater bottom line. cutting costs is what companies do nowadays.

these shits have died too often...customers losing data and all... these are worthless when they are on productions servers that run 24x7......

buyer beware....

Try a nice recovery tool...called Stellar Phoneix....

Is the drive mechanically bad? Cylinders, sectors, or head gone bad?

BlkStrength

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Depends on what killed it, sometimes you can recover it yourself. If it's a board issue, you can replace the board with another of the same time and sometimes it will work. If it's a disk issue, I've thrown one in the freezer, hooked it up and had enough time to get the data off before it died again. Do a google search, all kinds of techiniques. But alot of times they don't work eventhough may be worth a try.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It is true...I am an engineer working for a fortune 500 company, we once installed these on our servers. little overhead, with greater bottom line. cutting costs is what companies do nowadays.

these shits have died too often...customers losing data and all... these are worthless when they are on productions servers that run 24x7......

buyer beware....

Try a nice recovery tool...called Stellar Phoneix....

Is the drive mechanically bad? Cylinders, sectors, or head gone bad?

Awe damn... that sounds like HELL! I'm surprised heads didn't roll after the crashes.

tp2001

Star
Registered

I read the thread title and I got scared because I just had to exchange my Maxtor external HD...Thing conked out on me after falling to the side (under 3 inches it fell). I hope this replacement doesn't go down on me...

:(

D

DANGEROUSBLACKMAN

I Use A Maxtor Hard Drive And It Works Good.

kinglickk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You already know what it is... Procrastinating has caught up with my Black ass. I should have transferred the data from all of my Maxtor drives to another brand drive a long time ago, but didn't make the time to do it. End result: I have a stack of dead Maxtor drives on my desk... ready to smash them all with a fuckin' hammer!!! :angry:

I can't smash them of course, because I need the data off them. That's where you come in. I know of a few Hard Disk Data Recovery Services in Europe that are on point, but I need a US Hard Disk Data Recovery Service. Who knows of any reliable Hard Disk Data Recovery Services? :dunno:

And just one more time for good measure FUCK MAXTOR!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
Sorry to hear about that. Here's my 0.02.

Data recovery....EXPENSIVE. Last time I checked...$500 per drive.

Get the Hiren boot CD. You can recover yourself with that.

Best to use a raid 5 card. You need a minimum of 3 identical HDD. Google raid 5 pci adapter. HDD usually fail one at a time. Will give u time to replace. Guaranteed...no data loss.
PM me if u need more info.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Sorry to hear about that. Here's my 0.02.

Data recovery....EXPENSIVE. Last time I checked...$500 per drive.

Get the Hiren boot CD. You can recover yourself with that.

Best to use a raid 5 card. You need a minimum of 3 identical HDD. Google raid 5 pci adapter. HDD usually fail one at a time. Will give u time to replace. Guaranteed...no data loss.
PM me if u need more info.

Word... Let me do a little digging first and the I'll hit you with a PM, fam.

Grea818

Support BGOL
Registered

I put my boy up on this like 2 years ago shit works great

http://www.stellarinfo.com/file-recovery.htm

phoenix_box.jpg

blackm00n

Star
Registered

I don't hear the discs spinning in the drives.
How can I extract data for a HD when the disc doesn't spin or load?

if that shit is mechanically defunct...then yes, you are hit out of luck....

try to put it in the freezer like the last poster stated...

my friend did the same, the reason why he took that approach is that he knew the drive was failing but he wanted to get as much data as he could. You have the probability of the drive completely failing after continuous use or failing when not used (yes, chances are slim).

In every attempt to recover the data was painful, since the drive will spin so fast that the drive started to over heat, and made the transfer really slow.

throwing the drive in the freezer for about 2-5 min helped....

Popcorn Luva

Support BGOL
Registered

Fuck man I just bought one 2 months ago.

Well, only time will tell...

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor

Not sure how I missed this thread but fuck Seagate.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Not sure how I missed this thread but fuck Seagate.
Fam, I'm STILL trying to find a company (that won't charge arms & legs) to transfer the data from my discs. :dunno:

sagelike

Star
Registered

My set up is
- 1tb Seagate running my time machine.
- 500gb Iomega with my music and and other media
- another 500gb Cavalry with the another back up of my music and media

So essentially all of my files are on some hard drive at least twice.
If any hard drive dies (as my maxtor did a couple month ago, although mine lasted for about 4 years after falling on the floor a couple of times...so I'm not too sure what the OP's problem was) it gets replaced immediately.

So for no problems with the set up.

If the disks are moving and you hear things in the hard drive you're done.
Man up and learn form your mistakes.

I've had that happen to me once. Didn't properly back up my info and lost about 40% of my data. Trying to avoid that as much as possible now.

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered

Pretty shitty...
The only HD that ever failed on me was a Maxtor external.
I keep backups now (Time Capsule for the laptop and manual mirror for my external) but I haven't had a failure except that one time like 5 years ago. The 80GB Maxtor just stopped working, sitting on the desk.

kinglickk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

time for you to move to raid 5 playa

lukas james

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member

hdds rarely go out on their own without a warning.
If your pc is quiet and you here a clicking or scraping noise, its time to replace the drive.
If you notice the drive locking up or slowing the pc down more than usual, same thing.
Fuck raid- make backups on a regular basis (just the shit you can't afford to lose) Raid won't help if a virus corrupts your data. You'll just have 2 infected copies of the same shit.
If you want to keep it, burn it to a disk and put it away. If you have a bd-writer, this is how you should be saving important shit. Dvd-roms are fine too, just keep your discs in cases and out of the light.
If more than half your total disk space is full, get an extra drive. You always want enough room to have at least 2 copies of everything.
I have two 80g hdds, two 250g hdds, two 500g hdds and two externals, a 320g and a 500g. When I get too full, I'll pick up two 1tb hdds, swap out the two 80g hdds.

VWchrisATL

Rising Star
OG Investor

I'm going on 4yrs. with my Maxtor 250 gig!! It practically stays on 24/7 too!! Not one problem!! *knocks on wood*

RESPECT

Rising Star
Platinum Member

yep, i learned the hard way as well, so i say muthafuck maxtor and their shitty ass hd's :mad:

go with seagate or fujitsu hard drives, make sure you go with either scsi or sata drives, as scsi's last an average of 7 years vs the 1 year with shitty ass ata hard drives.

fuck maxtor, oh yea fuck amd too :mad:

SEAGATE OWNS MAXTOR NOW, SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR :angry::angry:

Soufboy

Rising Star
Registered

Which explains why Maxtor got bought out by Seagate.... truly...the only drives I fuck with are Western Digital and Seagate.... maybe Hitachi if I'm in a good mood... but Western Digital all the way for me

RESPECT

Rising Star
Platinum Member

You already know what it is... Procrastinating has caught up with my Black ass. I should have transferred the data from all of my Maxtor drives to another brand drive a long time ago, but didn't make the time to do it. End result: I have a stack of dead Maxtor drives on my desk... ready to smash them all with a fuckin' hammer!!! :angry:

I can't smash them of course, because I need the data off them. That's where you come in. I know of a few Hard Disk Data Recovery Services in Europe that are on point, but I need a US Hard Disk Data Recovery Service. Who knows of any reliable Hard Disk Data Recovery Services? :dunno:

I FEEL YOU BRO, I HAVE ABOUT 4 GRAVEYARD RIDDEN HD's, BUT BASICALLY I CAN SAY IT WAS MY FAULT. PLUS I BACK UP THE SAME SHIT TO ANOTHER ONE.I HEARD THE DRIVE CLICKIN BUT DIDN'T TRANSFER DATA IMMEDIATELY (IF POSSIBLE YOU MUST DO THIS AT THE FIRST SIGN OF CLICKING OR SLOWDOWNS). AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WE SOMETIMES GET SO CAUGHT UP IN ALL THE FREE SHIT ON THE NET THAT WE FORGET TO SCAN EVERYTHING WE DOWNLOAD. HARD DRIVES NOW A DAYS ARE SO CHEAP THERE'S NO REASON NOT TO BE ABLE TO BACK YOUR STUFF UP.

THESE PRODUCTS FROM TIGER DIRECT IS THE SHIT. SWAPPABLE EXTERNAL SATA DOCK :yes::yes:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4296977&CatId=2785

ADD THIS HITACHI 1TB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4306125&Sku=TSD-1000H4

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I FEEL YOU BRO, I HAVE ABOUT 4 GRAVEYARD RIDDEN HD's, BUT BASICALLY I CAN SAY IT WAS MY FAULT. PLUS I BACK UP THE SAME SHIT TO ANOTHER ONE.I HEARD THE DRIVE CLICKIN BUT DIDN'T TRANSFER DATA IMMEDIATELY (IF POSSIBLE YOU MUST DO THIS AT THE FIRST SIGN OF CLICKING OR SLOWDOWNS). AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WE SOMETIMES GET SO CAUGHT UP IN ALL THE FREE SHIT ON THE NET THAT WE FORGET TO SCAN EVERYTHING WE DOWNLOAD. HARD DRIVES NOW A DAYS ARE SO CHEAP THERE'S NO REASON NOT TO BE ABLE TO BACK YOUR STUFF UP.

THESE PRODUCTS FROM TIGER DIRECT IS THE SHIT. SWAPPABLE EXTERNAL SATA DOCK :yes::yes:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4296977&CatId=2785

ADD THIS HITACHI 1TB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4306125&Sku=TSD-1000H4
Great info!

delock

Support BGOL
Registered

I need a affordable data company also

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered

use r studios program. i just got all the data off a drive thats been dead for years (it clicks and hangs up). put the drive in a ziplock bag and put in the freezer for a few hours (google it if u dont believe me). just hook the dead drive up as a slave and dont fuck with the drive. install R Studios and let it scan the drive. it will transfer all or most of the shit from the drives. I can upload the program if u r interested

r3d DaWn

Star
Registered

there are many different methods of obtaining files off a dying/dead drive, DEPENDING on how bad the drive is. If the platter is damaged, but the heads on the disc still work, you could use recovery software to try to save some of your work, but if the heads aren't working, you indeed would need to find a company to do it for you, which, I can promise, will be NO less then probably $550 depending on how bad the disk is, how much data to pull off the drive. If the disk has read potential you can use SpinRite 6.0, it's the BEST hard disk recovery/disaster tool out there, but will ONLY work if the disk's heads aren't damaged or dead... One thing to note, people are saying to turn off hard drives, that is NOT the correct method of working with disk drives... The more you turn off/on a drive, the more the failure rate for the drive goes up, spin up/down is not good for hard drives. If external or internal, unless you won't be around the computer for say a day or so, going on vacation, bad weather, etc, you should ALWAYS keep your computer on, turn the monitor off if you need to. Make sure you have proper cooling, so the drives/computer doesn't heat up, heat can cause major problems to drives... Most drives today have SMART features that will enable you to read how the drive is doing, temp, etc... I use a program called DriveSitter Pro, google it, let's me know how my external drives are doing, gives temperture readings, etc... I leave my drives up almost 24/7, both laptop and desktop, use cooling on everything, and maintain backups on important data every week or so... In all my years, I've only had 2 drives die out on me, physically died, drive heads fucked up, but that is normal, some drives are shitty on a physical note, not so much who makes them... I have had drives for over 10 years that are still strong, you just have to keep watch over them at times, and stop the turn on/off thing..