**sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Planet!!

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You already know what it is... Procrastinating has caught up with my Black ass. I should have transferred the data from all of my Maxtor drives to another brand drive a long time ago, but didn't make the time to do it. End result: I have a stack of dead Maxtor drives on my desk... ready to smash them all with a fuckin' hammer!!! :angry:

I can't smash them of course, because I need the data off them. That's where you come in. I know of a few Hard Disk Data Recovery Services in Europe that are on point, but I need a US Hard Disk Data Recovery Service. Who knows of any reliable Hard Disk Data Recovery Services? :dunno:

And just one more time for good measure FUCK MAXTOR!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: **sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Plan

you got a stack of drives, and they all went bad at the same time???

seems like no matter how many back-ups you would have made, you were just destined to be fucked.

Nah... they didn't go bad at the same time. Over the course of years... although two (including the one that died 20 minutes ago) died within this past year. I keep dead drives with the intention of recovering the date from them. Just hadn't done so until now.

infamous-online

Star
Registered
Re: **sigh** Without A Doubt... Maxtors Are The WORST Hard Drives On The Fuckin' Plan

yep, i learned the hard way as well, so i say muthafuck maxtor and their shitty ass hd's :mad:

go with seagate or fujitsu hard drives, make sure you go with either scsi or sata drives, as scsi's last an average of 7 years vs the 1 year with shitty ass ata hard drives.

fuck maxtor, oh yea fuck amd too :mad:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

the probably die quick cuz they don't have an off switch..the shit is running nearly all the time...who the fuc designs something without an off switch..

nATURE BOY

Star
BGOL Investor

the probably die quick cuz they don't have an off switch..the shit is running nearly all the time...who the fuc designs something without an off switch..

I have a Maxtor with a on/off switch.and the bitch literally will freeze my whole PC sometimes. Maxtor is just shitty. with or without a on/off switch. the fact that cuzzo has a stack of them thats fucked up trips me out.

fool me once shame on me....

gumbottoms

Star
Registered

I have been running two maxtor drives for about 4 years now with no problems. You sure your not doing something wrong?

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I have been running two maxtor drives for about 4 years now with no problems. You sure your not doing something wrong?
I used to say the same thing to my homeboy years ago when he first tried to put me up on game, fam. :hmm:

bigmanfromchi

Support BGOL
Registered

yep, i learned the hard way as well, so i say muthafuck maxtor and their shitty ass hd's :mad:

go with seagate or fujitsu hard drives, make sure you go with either scsi or sata drives, as scsi's last an average of 7 years vs the 1 year with shitty ass ata hard drives.

fuck maxtor, oh yea fuck amd too :mad:

You guys are aware that MAXTOR was acquired by SEAGATE recently, right? I like the Seagate drives also, but I haven't had any issues with either as of yet. My problem is with those fuckin' Western Digital drives. As for data recovery, there are two companies I've gotten quotes from in the past: ONTRACK DATA RECOVERY SERVICES & ACS DATE RECOVERY in Temple, TX (address is 1005 Marlanwood Rd., Suite 117; zip is 76502-3341. Greg Duffield is the contact). I had a 320GB WD crash recently and I sent it to them; they gave me a $1500 quote to restore the data, so I said fuck it, that's OK, send me the drive back, it's really not THAT crucial.

m10_v

Star
Registered

I've got a maxtor with a two year warranty so I think I'm good. No problems as of yet. I only access information from it once every couple of days.

infamous-online

Star
Registered

You guys are aware that MAXTOR was acquired by SEAGATE recently, right? I like the Seagate drives also, but I haven't had any issues with either as of yet. My problem is with those fuckin' Western Digital drives. As for data recovery, there are two companies I've gotten quotes from in the past: ONTRACK DATA RECOVERY SERVICES & ACS DATE RECOVERY in Temple, TX (address is 1005 Marlanwood Rd., Suite 117; zip is 76502-3341. Greg Duffield is the contact). I had a 320GB WD crash recently and I sent it to them; they gave me a $1500 quote to restore the data, so I said fuck it, that's OK, send me the drive back, it's really not THAT crucial.

quoting from bigname companies are trying to get $$$, $1500 fuck that, i'll just get a new hd and save myself the hell :lol:

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

$1,500?!!! FUG DAT!!!

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I have a Maxtor with a on/off switch.and the bitch literally will freeze my whole PC sometimes. Maxtor is just shitty. with or without a on/off switch. the fact that cuzzo has a stack of them thats fucked up trips me out.

fool me once shame on me....
ah that's fool me twice shame on me --- but I get your point. :hmm:

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Why bother rating this thread? :hmm:

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered

Unless the data has monetary (or real sentimental) value, you are probably better off writing that shit off. Data recovery costs a fuckin grip. That shit is a business solution, usually, not a personal one.

Geeksquad has that service, but it starts at $519 to get data off a damaged drive.
($219 to get erased data from a working drive, $1599 to get data off a severely damaged drive)

http://www.geeksquad.com/pricing/default.aspx#section5

And yeah, Maxtor is shit.
My first external drive was Maxtor, and it died in 6 months.
My 2nd external drive was IO Gear and that shit hasn't had a hiccup 4 years later.

dnero80

Potential Star
Registered

The hard drive gods have smiled apon me thus farm in my over 15 years of computing I havent had drive die on me yet. But at work I see dead drives (and viruses) all day every day. And brand does not seem to make the real difference. I got a maxtor one touch Iv had for a couple years now, no problems. Some old Western Digital and maxtor internals that came in old comps.
My semi pro opinion would be
1. make sure they are, or your computer is, pluged into a GOOD surge protector, UPS idealistacally.
2. If you got one 500GB drive, you need a second 500GB drive, all hdds fail, its just a matter of when.
3. Dont let the name brand of a hdd pull you into a false sense of security. NO MATTER WHAT THE WARRENTY PERIOD IS, HDD MAKERS DO NOT COVER DATA. if your Seagate dies in less than 5 years, they might replace the drive, but your still on your own with the data.

tre2k4

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

We need to learn how to recover this ish ourselves

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered

The hard drive gods have smiled apon me thus farm in my over 15 years of computing I havent had drive die on me yet. But at work I see dead drives (and viruses) all day every day. And brand does not seem to make the real difference. I got a maxtor one touch Iv had for a couple years now, no problems. Some old Western Digital and maxtor internals that came in old comps.
My semi pro opinion would be
1. make sure they are, or your computer is, pluged into a GOOD surge protector, UPS idealistacally.
2. If you got one 500GB drive, you need a second 500GB drive, all hdds fail, its just a matter of when.
3. Dont let the name brand of a hdd pull you into a false sense of security. NO MATTER WHAT THE WARRENTY PERIOD IS, HDD MAKERS DO NOT COVER DATA. if your Seagate dies in less than 5 years, they might replace the drive, but your still on your own with the data.

I finally got serious about data back-up last month...
Pre-ordered a TimeCapsule that just shipped yesterday.
Fingers crossed till next week...

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The hard drive gods have smiled apon me thus farm in my over 15 years of computing I havent had drive die on me yet.
I don't know what I did to make them frown on me... I had a long run as well, albeit you must be sacrificing the villagers first born sons to have a 15 year run! Great advise, fam.
Man, you don't know how many times I thought the exact same thing, bro.

Also, I just hopped off the horn with this place in Deluth GA: http://www.cbltech.com/data-recovery/hard-drives/maxtor/ Their price range is from $100-$2000... Damn... You already know which end of that spectrum I'm trying to fall on.

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered

To do that shit reliably you need a clean room environment (no static) and some pretty pricey equipment. Its much cheaper for consumers to just set up a RAID or other redundant drive connection. Problem is... prevention don't usually have the same urgency as rescue...

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I finally got serious about data back-up last month...
Pre-ordered a TimeCapsule that just shipped yesterday.
Fingers crossed till next week...

Word. My thing is will my production software file links work. Premier, Pro-Tools, Acid, Vegas, Photoshop etc... I still needs these files to open up in their prospective programs. Just the raw data would be a bitch to reassemble. I shutter to think.

Bechmon Shitan

wannabe star
Registered

Buy a cheap Maxtor HD and swap the controller with the ceased one.....
Transfer speed might be slow but hey....it gets U there!!!:D

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Buy a cheap Maxtor HD and swap the controller with the ceased one.....
Transfer speed might be slow but hey....it gets U there!!!:D
Is this theory or have you done this successfully?

StillMatic

Star
Registered

I have an internal Sata and an external ata drive both from maxtor and they work fine for me. I had a Western Digital that crashed on me, but if I have to get another, it will probably be from Maxtor. I may buy two more Sata drives to put in internally just because I have the space to do so.

thang

Support BGOL
Registered

Ming,
I keep track of hard drive performane/quality with this site (keeps me up on the best)...

storagereview.com/

SOSTREET

Star
BGOL Investor

LOOKIN' AT TWO DEAD ONES RIGHT NOW!!
:smh:

tfresca

Star
Registered

try spinrite to recover the drives. By the way Lacies are by far the worst drives ever.