Ronda Rousey Says She'd Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr In An MMA Fight Using 'Monkey' Style

Rousey vs Maywether In An MMA Fight: Who Wins?

• Total voters

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Re: Ronda Rousey Says She'd Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr In An MMA Fight Using 'Monkey' S

How do you read the question and still vote for Mayweather?

In a boxing match, Mayweather would not only beat her but every male MMA fighter at/near his weight. But in a mixed martial arts fight, he's outgunned.
Rousey is an Olympic medalist in judo so she's all about fighting bigger, stronger opponents.
It would be the Couture-James Toney fight all over again.
Re: Ronda Rousey Says She'd Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr In An MMA Fight Using 'Monkey' S

You sound like somebody who needs to take the Gracie challenge. Grapplers grip is just something you have to experience. I can tell most of you thinking that Floyd has a chance has never had a wrestler or judoka get ahold of them or worse be on top. Until you know how to defend you feel like your suffocating. Floyd would not be able to power out of any attacks without a basic understanding of what's going on unless he wanted to break something. I have no doubt that on the feet Floyd would give her the business, but I also understand that if she wanted him on his back that's where he's going.

You keep thinking its about athletism and speed. Its not. its about what sport is being played.

If she is in shooting distance, is floyd in punching range?

If floyd is in punching range he has a change of KO'ing her. If not how is he gonna defend the takedown? Its so much different in boxing to defend a punch vs defending a takedown.

Floyd has never been in a situation where someone tried to shoot on him how would he handle that. His defense recently has been just staying in position and covering up and not moving as much and he does this MASTERFULLY. He would not be able to sit there against her he would be on his ass and there is no doubt in my mind that the submission would come in less that 60 seconds.

Not at all. I'm basing it on how she fights in the ring and having seen countless other fights where one fighter is notably better at striking (using hands and feet, something she wouldn't have to worry about with Floyd).

You know when fighters are most vulnerable to punches? Going for chokes and often, heel hooks. But those are usually hammerfist strikes because you cant get any power behind a normal punch.
Rousey would be looking for an armbar, that's all.
You cant check hook someone shooting for your legs.

I did no such thing. You said White was spoonfeeding her soft competition but Zingano was on the list. So he was feeding her Cat too.

Gene is her friend. He has no objectivity. I'm not even much of a fan. But I can't with a clear mind see how Floyd would win a MMA fight under MMA rules.

Floyd is a defensive counterpuncher first and foremost so he waits for the attack. She's not going to exchange with him. She's going to keep her distance and shoot in from an angle.
Takedown, armbar.

Buk, if you hadn't come in here, I would have left this alone.
The counter arguments weren't even making sense anymore (did someone really ask who would win in a street fight? And using the Big Show, a stationary target, as an example? C'mon man. Rousey's unproven? She won a medal in the Olympics). I can be swayed but not with some that weak shit.

Your point, on the other hand, is a solid point but each guy you named is a world class MMA star and Floyd isn't.
Breaking an armbar isn't always about pure strength. Tate broke her armbar in their last fight on Rousey's first attempt but that's still someone who's been in one before, many, many times, not a rookie making her debut.

I know more about this topic (boxing, mma, and the sprinkling of pro wrestling that's snuck in for some reason) than most of the cats that voted for Floyd but if having to know about something before you talked about it/debated it, the board would have 5 threads at any give time.

most mma fighters on the planet are done if ronda gets em on the ground
boxers dont stand a chance on the ground and they dont train to defend against anything other than punches, doesnt matter how strong they are
its the technique that matters

and floyds hands cant handle knockout power so he aint knockin shit out
he can even let the chic get next to him cause eventually he'll end up on the ground an it'll be over
it'd would be the most boring fight in all history right up until floyd tries to some of his typical shit and gets grabbed

if u think otherwise its cause u dont know how dangerous, bjj and wrestling really are

and buk u were able to break outta them holds cause u werent training with assholes, they wanted u to learn an have a good experience
get with the wrong people an see how many holds u break out of
Idiots. Just plain old idiots.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Even after her loss I stand by my prediction. Personally, I hate the comparison because its just a way to drop Mayweather down a notch.I'd rather they compare her to a white boxer. That said, in a Boxing match,Rousey wouldn't last 1 min.In a MMA match Rousey is a clear favorite.I totally understand why many of you would think different,but my years of experience in a really good MMA school in which Rousey has visited and trained in the past gives me much more insight. We've had professional boxer dabble in MMA and its a TOTALLY different sport.
Holm has had 10 MMA fights spanned over 6 years in one of the top MMA schools in the world.Her takedown defense was the key and it was highly technical.Mayweather is not going to get that takedown defense skill in months.Additionally, Mayweather is a boxer.He is dangerous in one range and that is the same range as the clinching range. Holm was dangerous with kicks and knees which adds a whole new dimension of attacks. I know you guys don't see what I see but understand that my opinion is not from the viewpoint of some fan.I actually compete in Grappling at one of the top MMA gyms in the US. I've seen professional boxers come and spar MMA. They get taken down by whitebelts. It takes alot of skill to avoid takedowns,avoid the clinch,and change your boxing stance to not get taken down.Ronda Rousey is not going to try and stand with that dude. She is going to take him down and armbar him very easily.
If interested, here is a really good video explaining how technical Holm's takedown defense was.It took 6 years of Holm training at a top MMA gym and having 9 fights to get this skill.Mayweather is just not going to get this skill in a few months just because he is a talented boxer.

You don't understand. I'm coming from the angle of a guy that has SEEN female MMA fighters spar with men. I'm not guessing here. Rousey has trained at our school.I wasnt there that week but heard she rolled with quite a few guys that are way bigger than lil ass mayweather. In this Holm fight,look at her stance.Compare it to the Boxing stance. Boxers have alot more weight on their front foot and they aren't facing their opponent like Holm is. Holms stance is much more open which gives her that lateral movement to avoid Rhonda's clinch. Its clear as day to someone who trains. Honestly this whole argument is comparable to a dude that played HS football and watches football every week and arguing with women who swear the Niners are the best team in Football because they like their uniforms. Holms presented a totally different challenge than Mayweather would.
Its starting to be an "in" thing for trainers not to spar or allow punches to the head because of concussions. Quite a few good fighters dont do it anymore. That said, Ronda definitely isn't experienced enough to take this approach. Alot of people are blaming her trainer. Personally I believe its a combination of her training,a low fight IQ, and that she is just mentally weak.
No she is obviously good. She won multiple fights straight and held the title for years. Losing 2 fights doesn't take away that. Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell don't suck. The thing about Ronda is that she is so emotional and used to overwhelming her opponents.If she can't do that, then she doesn't have the fight IQ, or heart and will to find a way to win.If you look at many great fighters there is a point where they are losing but find a way to win.
You are simply wrong man. It doesn't work like that. Name one non heavyweight that has had success in MMA with NO grappling experience. MMA and boxing are 2 totally different sports. Go back and watch the first 5 UFCs back when it was style vs style. Boxers were getting done dirty.Its not that i'm caping for Ronda but yall just don't know.
In MMA yes.In Boxing No.
Just unbelievable

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I dont know..i been watching a lot of Sugar Ray Recently, once she became champ, she should have went to go work with him or something..she was well known..she could have swung that

She stayed with coach Edmond too long and he didn't push her to elevate her game. She and him were probably hoping to coast along and rely on her elite judo skills & armbar specialty. He was happy collecting his coaching cut / percentage as she actually had good paydays (compared to other MMA fighters).

Unfortunately some of those QUICK, early dominant victories she had brought too much spotlight to her - even though her game was unpolished.

All people could talk about were the 14 second win, 30 second win, 1 minute win, etc.

Then Holly came along and embarassed her in 6 minutes, and Nunes embarassed her in under 1 round.

* Like you said - she should have gone and focused primarily on boxing. Her judo & BJJ were already more than serviceable.

furlough

I want my daddy's records!
Platinum Member
ykl2K0.gif