RIP to boxing Legend Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Screen-Shot-2019-02-27-at-5.23.38-PM.png

IMG_6808a.jpg
More accomplished career Holyfield or Whitaker? Holyfield, greatest cruiserweight in history and 4-time heavyweight champion, fought in a tough heavyweight era which may have been the best since the 70's and fought the best fighters of his era multiple times. Whitaker, won titles at 135, 140, 147, and 154lbs, beat some very good fighters and never really loss a fight until the very end of his career and was only stopped once in his final fight, because of a broken clavicle.

Last edited:

patscorpio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Side Note - If i'm not mistaken Pernell Whitaker & Meldrick Taylor used to duck each other
just like Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder are doing now

Nonetheless RIP to a true legend tho:cool:
Man what? They were close friends and olympic teammates...they weren't even operating in the same division at their peaks..sweet pea was at 135; meldrick at 140/147..by the time they were in the same division at welter sweet pea was in his prime and meldrick was finished...this is no joshua-wilder situation

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Boxing legend Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker died Sunday after being hit by a vehicle while walking in Virginia Beach.

He was 55.

Whitaker rose to fame during the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, winning the gold medal in the lightweight division. He went on to become one of boxing's most prominent faces in the 1980s and 1990s, winning 40 of his first 42 career matches on his way to titles in the lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight divisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1t2yAK_wU
BOXER PERNELL WHITAKERDEAD AT 55, HIT BY CAR IN VIRGINIA... Driver Not Arrested
7/15/2019 10:49 AM PT

EXCLUSIVE
REMEMBERING PERNELL "SWEET PEA" WHITAKERLAUNCH GALLERY
Getty

10:49 AM PT -- The driver in the crash was NOT arrested -- and law enforcement officials tell us they do NOT believe drugs, alcohol or speed was a factor.

The driver was not cited -- though we're told that person is cooperating with authorities.

We're told the case will be kicked over to prosecutors to evaluate but it's unlikely the driver will be hit with criminal charges.

In fact, as one person involved in the investigation put it ... "It appears to just be a horrible accident."

8:56 AM PT -- TMZ Sports just spoke with boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. -- a long time friend of Pernell -- who tells us how much Whitaker meant to boxing ... and to him personally.

335746142ce85c4ca6e02fa089ab2eb6_md.jpg

335746142ce85c4ca6e02fa089ab2eb6_md.jpg

ROY JONES JR. REMEMBERS PERNELL
TMZSports.com
7:26 AM PT -- Pernell took a photo with Floyd Mayweather at an autograph show they were both appearing at in Virginia on the day before he died.

9a15869348a74bd6a2edf2cf3a17566e_md.jpg

Floyd paid tribute to Pernell on social media saying, "R I P champ, one of the best fighters to ever do it."

Boxing legend Pernell Whitaker was killed Sunday night after he was hit by a car in Virginia Beach, TMZ Sports has learned. He was only 55.

We're told officials received a call around 10:04 PM in response to an accident at the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road.

When cops arrived, they located the man who had been hit by a vehicle who was in really bad shape -- and our sources tell us that man was Pernell Whitaker.

Emergency medical personnel at the scene tried to resuscitate Whitaker -- even performing CPR on him -- but unfortunately, Whitaker succumbed to his injuries and died.

745cc5070bce57e58fcced94b115b7ef_md.png

745cc5070bce57e58fcced94b115b7ef_md.png

DISPATCH AUDIO
Cops are investigating. Unclear if the driver of the car was arrested but he did stay on the scene to speak with police. It's NOT a hit and run situation.

By the way, we're told the area where Pernell was hit is NOT a popular nightlife area -- in other words, it's not like he was out partying.

Whitaker (who's from Virginia) was a BEAST in the ring ... winning world titles at 4 different weights -- lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight.

Sweet Pea was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006 -- and is considered by many to be one of the greatest fighters of ALL TIME.

He fought everyone from Oscar De La Hoya to Julio Cesar Chavez -- and even though he lost to Oscar and Julio was a draw ... many people believe he was ROBBED in both decisions because he clearly won the fights.

His pro career began in 1984 and spanned all the way through 2001, with an amazing 40-4-1 record including 17 knockouts.

He also won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics in L.A.

From 1993 to 1997 he was considered the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Ring Magazine named him the Fight of the Year in 1989.

Whitaker is survived by his 5 children. RIP

Ex-NFL star Michael Vick, who's also from Virginia, tweeted about Whitaker's passing -- saying, 'Sweet Pea' Whitaker was our hometown legend and the greatest of all time. My prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Magic Johnson added ... "Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whitaker was in the class of Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard as one of the most entertaining fighters in my lifetime. I’m praying for his family."

8c15ff614c194e03bfeddfb702518838_md.jpg
Getty
Originally Published -- 5:59 AM PT

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
R.I.P, 1 of my first favorites along with Macho Camacho and Prince Naseem that really got me into the sport to the point where I watch almost every saturday of the yr.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How was Pernell an attention whore though?
When you showboat you're saying hey look at me. Now his showboating never bothered me but when dude said he personally didn't like it, you guys jumped on him like how dare you not like him showing off.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sounding like them white folks playa :hmm:

Generally speaking I despise white people and recognize them for the evil devils they are and always have been. So you saying I sound like white folks because I said I didn't care for Sweetpea's clowning of opponents when his great skills made it unnecessary is just plain bullshit. :hmm:

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Awww man where’s the flag?! :( RIP Sweet Pea

He was Mayweather before Mayweather.

there is an interview where Mayweather said in so many worlds basically he held his own n pretty much held back when they sparred...

i gotta find it....he didnt come out n say it but he kinda implied it...

anymore info out on the accident...?

RAY V.

AP 2nd Team All-American
BGOL Investor
Man what? They were close friends and olympic teammates...they weren't even operating in the same division at their peaks..sweet pea was at 135; meldrick at 140/147..by the time they were in the same division at welter sweet pea was in his prime and meldrick was finished...this is no joshua-wilder situation
Ok my bad...i must've been thinking about other welterweight boxers in the era years up from them two :cool:

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
there is an interview where Mayweather said in so many worlds basically he held his own n pretty much held back when they sparred...

i gotta find it....he didnt come out n say it but he kinda implied it...

anymore info out on the accident...?
I remember hearing this, there is no way a 17-year-old Mayweather is holding his own against a 30-year-old Whitaker unless Whitaker was not training and not in shape. Keep in mind, Paul Spadafora gave Mayweather what for when they sparred, Spadafora was actively training for a fight and Mayweather was out of fighting shape.

Last edited:

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man what? They were close friends and olympic teammates...
As I pointed out before they're several times that Olympic teammates have fought, if the demand was there and the money was right they would have fought. Best believe these guys sparred against each other, while they may not have been going all out, they weren't throwing love taps either. If you'll spar for free you'll fight for money.

hlfbakd05

Rising Star
Registered
Damn Northhampton Blvd and Baker Rd if he got hit on the Baker side that isnt too fast but if he got hit crossing Northhampton Blvd thats pretty much a highway the speed limit there is 45 but everyone goes 55-60