RIP to boxing Legend Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker.

KoolJay

Vidi Veni Vici
BGOL Investor
Yep. The fight of his I remember was the Chavez.

I was too young to grasp what was happening, but looking back I see that he was robbed. As a child, I just remember being entertained by Whitaker's style and the ridiculous number that Chavez had as his record.

Awww Man! He was my favorite boxer for years. I remember me and my roommate watching that fight, he LOVED Chavez, and he admitted that Sweetpea won. I knew they would, they fought in San Antonio. Even when he embarrassed Dela Hoya, only thing he can say was “he’s a lot quicker than u think”. He was substance abusing after that, Damn! Rest Easy CHAMP!

380snubnose

i posts nothing but dimes!!
BGOL Investor
NNNNoooooooo!!!
giphy.gif
r.i.p sweet pea..my favorite boxer ever..

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pernell Whitaker (born January 2, 1964– July 14, 2019) was an American former professional boxer who competed from 1984 to 2001, and has since worked as a boxing trainer. He is a four-weight world champion, having won titles at lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight, and light middleweight; the undisputedlightweight title; and the lineal lightweight and welterweight titles.[1] In 1989, Whitaker was named Fighter of the Year by The Ringmagazine and the Boxing Writers Association of America. From 1993 to 1997, The Ringranked him as the best active boxer in the world, pound for pound. He currently holds the longest unified lightweight championship reign in boxing history at 6 title defenses. Whitaker is generally regarded as one of the greatest defensive boxers of all-time.

On July 14, 2019 Pernell was crossing the street in Virginia Beach, at the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road, when he was struck by a vehicle.[31] He ultimately died of injuries he'd sustained from the accident.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernell_Whitaker

Last edited:

Bumpee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP. I used to find him boring when I was younger, but now I appreciate the technical wizadry.