Rest in peace... Sherman Hemsley

KingAddies

Rising Star
Registered
Goodbye Funnyman!!!
RIP
I'll never forget that walk and the energy he brought to the roles he played. A true showman. Felt like family too.

shaka38

Rising Star
OG Investor
Re: Sherman Hemsley, TV's George Jefferson, dead, according to TMZ

:eek: I dint know he lived in El Paso...I'm a Ft Bliss...gonna try to go pay my last respects! R.I.P. Sheman.:)

Sherman Hemsley, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, according to celebrity gossip site TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

The 74-year-old actor became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."

The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit. He also starred in the TV show, "Amen." He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no children.

It's unclear how he died.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/19102363/sherman-hemsley-tvs-george-jefferson-dead-according-to-tmz

AOD

Star
Registered
Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley

One of my favorite characters from the 70's... damn!
1081189_o.gif
3157997_o.gif
Luv that dance... R.I.P. Brother!

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Was great on t.v. Many people may not know the story of how he got started. Remember he was on All in the Family before the Jeffersons. Well for those that remember when the Jeffersons moved next door there was Weezy and George but George was never shown. They had his brother on instead. They didn't have someone to play the character of George Jefferson. One of the producers of the show (I can't remember if was creator Norman Leer or not.....could have been) went to the post office. Sherman was working there. Remember his legendary pimp walk? Well that's the way he really walks. It was never for T.V. Someone from All in the family saw him walk and asked him if he did any acting. He replied just in school plays when I was younger. He was asked to try out the part for George Jefferson and the rest is history. They had a week to find the character so maybe that explains why it was such a rush to ask basically anyone to try out. Would have never though from his walk he would become a mainstay on Television. R.I.P. to a great one

20p8xtx.jpg

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man RIP I really loved watching dude. He was real funny and an overall good soul. As a shorty George Jefferson was the first Black business owner I knew. :yes:

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
animated_candle.gif

I first saw this man in the Broadway play Purlie Victorious. He played an uncle Tom. Dude was always funny.

bensisco

Support BGOL
Registered
I can hear the Jefferson's closing credits theme song sadly humming, but they're probably singing the Jefferson's opening theme song in heaven.

He was one of the greatest brother's of all time for those of us who grew up back in the day. He gave us the chance to watch a successful Black man on TV long before the Cosby Show. He showed America that not all Blacks lived in the projects and struggled to get by. As much as I loved watching Good Times, it was nice seeing a different side of Black life when I was growing up.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R.I.P to Sherman Hemsley
The Jeffersons and Amen would not have been the same without your
comedic swagger

gameboy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

he's already "moved on up" to the top of the page bro,,, view the sticky

cooliojones

Rising Star
Registered

How you missed the sticky I will never know

... but this chic right here would more than get it, thanks for posting this

20p8xtx.jpg

Lick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man RIP I really loved watching dude. He was real funny and an overall good soul. As a shorty George Jefferson was the first Black business owner I knew. :yes:

I feel ya Bruh... I wished I had never met the guy because you see the person they are in the real World. We alway forget what we see on TV and the movies may or may not be the same person in real life.

R. I. P.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
from twitter:

@LennyKravitz Rest in peace Sherman Hemsley. You are legendary. Your contribution changed the fabric of American culture...
(forgot his mom was helen willis herself,roxie roker)

@TameraMowryTwo RIP SHERMAN HEMSLEY ... You were brilliant at your craft! You taught me pure comedy. Such a pleasure working with a such a great talent.

@tmorello RIP the great George Jefferson. Thanks so much to comedic pioneer Sherman Hemsley for bringing a black family into my white hometown

)
@Alyssa_Milano Rest in Peace (in a delux apartment in the sky), Sherman Hemsley.

@tavissmiley What's life without laughter? For those of a certain age, we grew up watching Sherman Hemsley. What a loss.

@UncleRUSH RIP Sherman Hemsley aka George Jefferson. rest peacefully in the de-luxe apartment in the sky...

@JackeeHarry RIP To My Longtime Friend & Comedic LEGEND, Sherman Hemsley aka George Jefferson. #NeverToBeForgotten

@DeionSanders God bless Sherman Hemsley BKA George Jefferson. He's gone to be with the Lord. He made me dream I could move on up. Truth

@ThatKevinSmith G'bye, Sherman Hemsley. Your George Jefferson was so beloved, it earned you your own successful sitcom! Huge bucket of win! Move on up, sir.

@SethGreen I love George Jefferson & Deacon Frye like family. Thanks for being awesome Sherman Hemsley.

@traciethoms RIP Sherman Hemsley. From Gitlow to George to Deacon Frye, you've brought me such joy. Thank you for every laugh. XO.

@donald_faison RIP Sherman Hemsley.

@Bootsy_Collins Man We lost Another One That Kept Up Cracking Up Through Some Tuff Times. Mr. Sherman Hemsley aka George Jefferson...

@LarenzTate RIP Sherman Hemsley aka George Jefferson. I had the honor of wrking w the great comedic actor as a kid on his show Amen in 1988. #Respect

@omarepps #RIP Sherman Hensley! Thank you for your art & making me laugh throughout my childhood!

@joshduhamel RIP Sherman Hemsley. #MovinOnUp to heaven now.

@hollyrpeete Met Sherman Helmsley when I was 7. I saw him in my 1st Broadway musical ever : "Purlie!". He played a character "Gitlow". Brilliant. A Force. Iconic. RIP Sherman..

@questlove Sherman Hemsley you'l be missed

@DENISE_RICHARDS George Jefferson, RIP Sherman Hemsley a comedic genius...my thoughts are with his loved ones..

@RevRunWisdom RIP >Sherman Hemsley aka George Jefferson original #Boss Originator of #Swag. My tv youth hero! RIP! Movin on up

@terrellowens RIP Sherman Hemsley!! I grew up watching the Jeffersons as many of us did & he along w/that cast will be one to be remembered. #RIPGeorge

Rocky Miavia

LORD OF THE BOARD
BGOL Investor
Rest In Peace. He played one of the few characters on TV that had to problem or second thoughts about telling CaCs how he felt about them and showing that black people can rise up and be successfully rich. Other shows (DL Hughley) tried to copy his character and failed. Hemsley was a good dude and I even watched him on VH1's shows too. He will be missed.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor

How you missed the sticky I will never know

... but this chic right here would more than get it, thanks for posting this

20p8xtx.jpg

Wow... hijacking a R.I.P. thread!? She is bad.... name?

Oh... and R.I.P. Sherman... great show and actor!