Rest in peace... Sherman Hemsley

totalcall

Support BGOL
Registered
Sherman Hemsley Dies at 74

Sherman Hemsley, who played George Jefferson on The Jeffersons, has died at 74, according to police.

The actor, who first played the role of Jefferson in All in the Family, also played Deacon Ernest Frye on TV's Amen.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas, police say .Born in South Philadelphia, Hemsley dropped out of high school to join the Air Force. He returned to Philadelphia and worked for the U.S. Postal Service, while taking acting classes at night.

After performing with local groups in Philadelphia, Hemsley moved to New York to make his Broadway debut as Gitlow in Purlie.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
That doesn't mean you're gay just like being married doesn't mean you're str8.

See Eddie Long. Maybe dude was sterile or a loner.

Sometimes marriage is a front.

bruh dude was gay man he just wasnt like some of these other celebs putting his personal life out there for the world to see like it was a badge of honor.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Brother's finally moved on up to that Deluxe Apartment in the Sky.

R.I.P.

And thanks for all the GREAT TV memories.

kefta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: Sherman Hemsley, TV's George Jefferson, dead, according to TMZ

R.I.P. I remember watching The Jeffersons while grow up on the continent. Damn. It's Sad!.

kew

Good As Da Best, Bad As Da Worst
BGOL Investor
:dance: I celebrate your life... but at heart Im really saddened:( RIP Thanks for the lessons

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Damn, two of my must see shows of all times. R.I.P. First time I ever heard him say Nigga You Got To Be Crazy!!! on t.v. I lost it

PaYpA

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Re: Sherman Hemsley Dies at 74

R.I.P , that shocked me that he was living in El Paso ...

dadamaja

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

aww damm you will b missed rip

bluskyII

Star
Registered
I am assuming that he had some known health issues since this article states that his nurse found him.

Sherman Hemsley Dead At 74

Sherman Hemsley has sadly passed away at the age of 74.

Sherman Hemsley, most famous for his role as George Jefferson, died at the age of 74 at his home in El Paso, TX from natural causes.

According to TMZ, Hemsley was discovered by his nurse who initially believed the actor was sleeping.

The TV icon appeared in shows such as All in the Family, which eventually became a spin-off to The Jeffersons, from where he gained worldwide stardom. Hemsley also starred in the 90'sTV show, Amen.

He was also a professional singer and even released a single in 1989, called "Ain't That A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley was born and raised in South Philadelphia by a single mother who worked in a factory.

Not completing High School, Hemsley joined the Air Force, serving for four years.

After his stint in the Air Force, he returned to Philadelphia where he worked for the Post Office during the day while attending acting school at night.

Trying to make it big, he later moved to New York City and began acting on Broadway.

His first starring role was the character Gitlow in the early 1970s Broadway play Purlie.

Hemsley studied under Lloyd Richards at the Negro Ensemble Company and after appearing in Purlie, television producer Norman Lear called him to play the role of George Jefferson in All in the Family. From there the character George Jefferson would be born, cementing Hemsley as a TV icon.

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. May he rest in peace.

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/sherman-hemsley-george-jefferson-dead-74-details#ixzz21a8hZUg7

NoJusticeNoPeace

Its not your girl, Its just your turn.........
BGOL Investor
Damn shame. RIP and thanks for the years of entertainment.

Damn I grew up on the Jeffersons,RIP.

:eek: noooooooooo! damn man that was my dude..

This is some truly Sad Shit for me. R.I.P. :crying: :sad:

HNIC

Aw man... R.I.P I like his show Amen as well. Dude was funny as hell.

animated_candle.gif

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Was great on t.v. Many people may not know the story of how he got started. Remember he was on All in the Family before the Jeffersons. Well for those that remember when the Jeffersons moved next door there was Weezy and George but George was never shown. They had his brother on instead. They didn't have someone to play the character of George Jefferson. One of the producers of the show (I can't remember if was creator Norman Leer or not.....could have been) went to the post office. Sherman was working there. Remember his legendary pimp walk? Well that's the way he really walks. It was never for T.V. Someone from All in the family saw him walk and asked him if he did any acting. He replied just in school plays when I was younger. He was asked to try out the part for George Jefferson and the rest is history. They had a week to find the character so maybe that explains why it was such a rush to ask basically anyone to try out. Would have never though from his walk he would become a mainstay on Television. R.I.P. to a great one.

2cs9ohk.jpg

Real2DaC0re

Rising Star
Registered

R.I.P He played a character that stood out in his generation and is rarely seen on tv in our lifetime.

cooliojones

Rising Star
Registered

damn, RIP man, Jeffersons & Amen were the shows