Percy calls out Michael Jordan: Nigga you built Nike and you don't have an ownership stake after all these years???

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The thing is people are buying his retros not really his new shit..I’m pretty sure Nike has the patent to his design of his old school kicks..if Jordan wanted to part ways ..Nike wouldn’t be able to use his name but they could still use the design..in the end Nike could retro the design and still make money off of them.. as far as mj he wouldn’t be able to use the retro design and would have to rely on new sales from new designs which if his designer team ain’t nice might not move the new product… the money is in the retro kicks and therefore why Jordan rather stay with Nike and collect them checks than hope to sell a bunch of new kicks.. just look at people feet what Jordan’s do people have on? His new shit or his old shit?
Jordan can't and ain't going nowhere, Nike owns that Niggas name.

:itsawrap:

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
You do realize their are actual responsibilities that come with being a law firm partner besides bringing in clients, right?

What responsibilities did Jordan have besides wearing the shoes and showing up for the commercials and photoshoots? What pressure did he have to sell shoes?
Business is business and what matters most to businesses is profits. Not whether someone has responsibilities or any other qualifiers you want to throw out.
Nike before Jordan wasn't a major player. Nike with Jordan became a multi billion dollar powerhouse. That mean the salesmen added great value to the companies over those with "actual responsibilities".

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jordan can't and ain't going nowhere, Nike owns that Niggas name.

:itsawrap:

You’re right, because nobody wants to by Aire Jourdan’s by Mikee!

200.gif

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
All the evidence in the world exists to prove he didnt have the money. He had to get an investment group for this specific reason. Do you know how investment and purchase groups work and what their purpose and function is? Further proof came once the valuation started to skyrocket and MJ started to buy everyone out when his networth and stake allowed him to do so financially.

You niggas just be talking just to talk.
the board has been shitting on mj for the same shit P is saying and now he wrong? :lol:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The funniest thing about this thread is the people that shit on mj for making 130 million a yr off Nike praised lebron when he got a lifetime contract from Nike for like 30 million a yr

Lebron’s shoe line made 340 million in sales in 2020.

So 32-35 million is 10% of sales.

MJ would receive between 310-450 million depending on the sales of his shoes.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Lebron’s shoe line made 340 million in sales in 2020.

So 32-35 million is 10% of sales.

MJ would receive between 310-450 million depending on the sales of his shoes.
One year it was 600 million.. so both yrs less than 10 percent..now if it goes to a billion or more he still would be getting only 30 million.. so why is making 30 million a yr more praised than making 130 million a yr?

don’t change the goalpost shouldn’t 30 million dollar man be held to the same standard or is 130 million man the only person to get ridicule?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One year it was 600 million.. so both yrs less than 10 percent..now if it goes to a billion or more he still would be getting only 30 million.. so why is making 30 million a yr more praised than making 130 million a yr?

don’t change the goalpost shouldn’t 30 million dollar man be held to the same standard or is 130 million man the only person to get ridicule?

I’m not changing anything, the goalpost is the income generated by each athletes product. :dunno:

Also what Lebron is making is the top tier of what basketball endorsers are paid.

I’m not one who criticizes MJ, I just think he should be paid more.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The funniest thing about this thread is the people that shit on mj for making 130 million a yr off Nike praised lebron when he got a lifetime contract from Nike for like 30 million a yr
Jordan built Nike and created global sneaker culture. Jordan brand outsells all competitors basketball sneaker lines combined til this day. Even comparing him to Lebron is yet another L for MJ. Lebron is getting comparable revenue sharing while barely moving a fraction of the product.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Business is business and what matters most to businesses is profits. Not whether someone has responsibilities or any other qualifiers you want to throw out.
Nike before Jordan wasn't a major player. Nike with Jordan became a multi billion dollar powerhouse. That mean the salesmen added great value to the companies over those with "actual responsibilities".

Once again, what value would the Jordan Brand have if he never came back from his first retirement? If he was injured a few years into his career and became another Grant Hill?

Does it make sense for a young Jordan to take less up front for an ownership stake when all he has to do is wear the shoes and get paid? What makes you think he had the foresight to know Nike would be a multi billion global sports powerhouse 30 years later? The NBA was hardly shown on TV when he signed his first deal. Nike could have turned to Pro-Keds.

This is more nonsense based in hindsight. Athletes weren't "brands" 30-40 years ago - Mike is the reason now that all these athletes know their value.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Once again, what value would the Jordan Brand have if he never came back from his first retirement? If he was injured a few years into his career and became another Grant Hill?

Does it make sense for a young Jordan to take less up front for an ownership stake when all he has to do is wear the shoes and get paid? What makes you think he had the foresight to know Nike would be a multi billion global sports powerhouse 30 years later? The NBA was hardly shown on TV when he signed his first deal. Nike could have turned to Pro-Keds.

This is more nonsense based in hindsight. Athletes weren't "brands" 30-40 years ago - Mike is the reason now that all these athletes know their value.

What is your stance, what are you actually saying?

Most on here are saying that MJ deserves more due to the amount of money that he’s made and continues make for Nike.

MJ made 125 million dollars in sales for Nike in 1 year when they were hoping for 3 million in 3 years. We feel that there should’ve been renegotiations on MJ’s behalf to receive more money due to his shoes performance.

What is your stance? Are you saying that he didn’t deserve more money and a higher percentage of sales due to the overwhelming success of his shoes?

Are you just arguing for arguments sake? :confused:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jordan built Nike and created global sneaker culture. Jordan brand outsells all competitors basketball sneaker lines combined til this day. Even comparing him to Lebron is yet another L for MJ. Lebron is getting comparable revenue sharing while barely moving a fraction of the product.
There’s no comparison 130 million >>>>> 30 million will always be the case.. I’m just peeping that both dudes generate 9 figs and up for Nike and yet both are judge differently even though they both are pretty much marketable bball players.. yet one is expected to start his own franchise while the other is not and I’m wondering why is that the case?

by the way I definitely knew you were gonna come in here defending inkosi

LongLocs85

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mike is a billionaire and owns a team.
The team that P use to have a 10day contract with... One played the other now owns... I won't say nothing ill about P cause I respect his hustle and he was cool as shit when I met him as a youngster, but he tripping on this one

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I already explained the difference.... Read it again...
He gets paid 9 figs a yr for his services

does Robert Downey get ownership of marvel movies or a stake for being the person that built the marvel movie franchise? He literally put the franchise on his back and wasn’t even the highest paid person in the first movie..it was somebody else mayne

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
You niggas are hilarious!
P is right!
“Mike’s a billionaire, Mike’s a billionaire because of Nike”
Shit, it damn near took him 30 years for that to happen.​

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He gets paid 9 figs a yr for his services
And he should get 10.
does Robert Downey get ownership of marvel movies or a stake for being the person that built the marvel movie franchise? He literally put the franchise on his back and wasn’t even the highest paid person in the first movie..it was somebody else mayne
Marvel was a successful 60+ year old billion dollar corporation before Downey was ever attached. There is no revenue stream attached to or traced directly to Downey or dependent on him and he certainly isnt generating billions annually in moved product or brand. You gotta stop this.

Its OK to acknowledge that MJ is way underpaid man.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And he should get 10.

Marvel was a successful 60+ year old billion dollar corporation before Downey was ever attached. There is no revenue stream attached to or traced directly to Downey or dependent on him and he certainly isnt generating billions annually in moved product or brand. You gotta stop this.

Its OK to acknowledge that MJ is way underpaid man.
Nike was a small brand that generated millions b4 Jordan ever put a pair with his name on it.. his name took it to another level.. marvel films and marvel history were not both created by Disney… marvel films under Disney didn’t exist until Tony put on a suit..it’s well known iron man definitely wasn’t the biggest marvel comic character prior to the film.. marvel film never made a billion dollars ever until Tony featured in the films.. since his first movie until now there have been multiple billion dollar movies as well as many hundred million dollar movies made..in fact it’s close to 30 films and they all exist thanks to Robert Downey.. name the billion dollar marvel movie by Disney prior to Robert? You can’t… so shouldn’t he be in the same boat as a person who should be getting percentages of all marvel films? Or do people only have that expectation of 1 man?…. It’s ok if you admit that you move the goalpost for your distaste of mj and that you will always join the stomp party when his name is mentioned..you have history of it just like you dislike steph curry

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
What is your stance, what are you actually saying?

Most on here are saying that MJ deserves more due to the amount of money that he’s made and continues make for Nike.

MJ made 125 million dollars in sales for Nike in 1 year when they were hoping for 3 million in 3 years. We feel that there should’ve been renegotiations on MJ’s behalf to receive more money due to his shoes performance.

What is your stance? Are you saying that he didn’t deserve more money and a higher percentage of sales due to the overwhelming success of his shoes?

Are you just arguing for arguments sake? :confused:

My stance is that Mike didn't get ripped off - he got great deals at the time. Deserve has nothing to do with the business agreement. It was a win for both sides - neither would be where they're at right now without each other.

You keep bringing up the wild success as an obligation for Nike to immediately give him more. Why? Would you feel that Nike would have been justified in ripping up the contract and paying him pennies if the shoes flopped his rookie year?

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Nike was a small brand that generated millions b4 Jordan ever put a pair with his name on it.. his name took it to another level.. marvel films and marvel history were not both created by Disney… marvel films under Disney didn’t exist until Tony put on a suit..it’s well known iron man definitely wasn’t the biggest marvel comic character prior to the film.. marvel film never made a billion dollars ever until Tony featured in the films.. since his first movie until now there have been multiple billion dollar movies as well as many hundred million dollar movies made..in fact it’s close to 30 films and they all exist thanks to Robert Downey.. name the billion dollar marvel movie by Disney prior to Robert? You can’t… so shouldn’t he be in the same boat as a person who should be getting percentages of all marvel films? Or do people only have that expectation of 1 man?…. It’s ok if you admit that you move the goalpost for your distaste of mj and that you will always join the stomp party when his name is mentioned..you have history of it just like you dislike steph curry

Lets break it down in BGOL terms:

If you hire a prosty and she goes above and beyond what you were expecting for your agreed upon price are you paying her more?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My stance is that Mike didn't get ripped off - he got great deals at the time. Deserve has nothing to do with the business agreement. It was a win for both sides - neither would be where they're at right now without each other.

You keep bringing up the wild success as an obligation for Nike to immediately give him more. Why? Would you feel that Nike would have been justified in ripping up the contract and paying him pennies if the shoes flopped his rookie year?

I didn’t say MJ got ripped off, I simply believe that he should receive and should’ve received more money due the success of his shoes.

And apparently you don’t. I’m unsure why you wouldn’t want a fellow Black man to be rewarded financially for the extreme success of his product but that’s an issue you’ll have to workout with yourself.

To my knowledge MJ signed a 3 year contract. If the shoe flopped then the contract would’ve been over after 3 years.

I also didn’t state that Nike was obligated to give MJ anything.

But if I’m paid 500k a year and my shoe makes 125 million, myself and many others except for you will be looking around like

giphy.gif

Reactions: BKF

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lets break it down in BGOL terms:

If you hire a prosty and she goes above and beyond what you were expecting for your agreed upon price are you paying her more?

Man just stop, you say shit just to say it and I can’t anymore! :roflmao:

You had the nerve to ask how a successful lawyer at their firm can be applied to MJ and his situation success at Nike.

But you’ve compared MJ’s success at Nike to a prostitute and a Popeyes chicken sandwich!

im-dead-laughing.gif

You win, at this point you’re just typing to type.:smh:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yo, my man.. And i mean this in the most non offensive way possible. You sound like a fucking idiot. Sincerely.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
"In the mid-90s, the marketing team rolled out a friendly, folksy, gently comic ad campaign starring the boxer. Almost instantly, the grill blew up. Whether you were a college kid on a budget, or a millionaire in the suburbs, everyone wanted one.

Initially, George was paid 40% of the profits from the sale of each grill. Over the years, the George Foreman Grill has sold over 100 million units worldwide."

If that's not amazing enough, in 1999 the makers of the grill realized that it might simply be easier to pay off their spokesperson for a lump sum. So, the company paid George a staggering $138 million lump sum in order to buy the rights to use his name on their grill in perpetuity. Between the monthly royalties and the buy-out, George personally pocketed a minimum of $250 million from the grill."

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
I didn’t say MJ got ripped off, I simply believe that he should receive and should’ve received more money due the success of his shoes.

And apparently you don’t. I’m unsure why you wouldn’t want a fellow Black man to be rewarded financially for the extreme success of his product but that’s an issue you’ll have to workout with yourself.

To my knowledge MJ signed a 3 year contract. If the shoe flopped then the contract would’ve been over after 3 years.

I also didn’t state that Nike was obligated to give MJ anything.

But if I’m paid 500k a year and my shoe makes 125 million, myself and many others except for you will be looking around like

When you sign a contract you see it through and at the end, renegotiate for better terms, which he did.

Saying 30 years later it was/is a bad deal is PURE hindsight.

I'm speaking as a Black man who made (at the time) fair business arrangements that in hindsight years later, yes, I was underpaid.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Initially, George was paid 40% of the profits from the sale of each grill. Over the years, the George Foreman Grill has sold over 100 million units worldwide."

If that's not amazing enough, in 1999 the makers of the grill realized that it might simply be easier to pay off their spokesperson for a lump sum. So, the company paid George a staggering $138 million lump sum in order to buy the rights to use his name on their grill in perpetuity. Between the monthly royalties and the buy-out, George personally pocketed a minimum of $250 million from the grill."

So....an unknown company with a brand new product paid a known celebrity a portion of profits to endorse it....and realized it would be cheaper in the long run to just pay him off for the rights.....so George Forman hasn't made a dollar off the Forman grill in 20+ years......

And you didn't mention the net worth of the company that owns the rights today compared to what they paid George.....

what are you trying to say here? Why can't we argue that Forman took a bad deal?

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
If Jordan was considered underpaid after the first few years of success of his shoes then why did so many of the world's top athletes sign with Nike within 5-10 years?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When you sign a contract you see it through and at the end, renegotiate for better terms, which he did.

Saying 30 years later it was/is a bad deal is PURE hindsight.

I'm speaking as a Black man who made (at the time) fair business arrangements that in hindsight years later, yes, I was underpaid.

I never said it was a bad deal, I just think he should and should’ve been paid more.

If you feel differently it’s cool.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Man just stop, you say shit just to say it and I can’t anymore! :roflmao:

You had the nerve to ask how a successful lawyer at their firm can be applied to MJ and his situation success at Nike.

But you’ve compared MJ’s success at Nike to a prostitute and a Popeyes chicken sandwich!

You win, at this point you’re just typing to type.:smh:

Your argument is he deserves more because he outperformed expectations.

If a prosty does the same you paying her more? She's black too...

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"In the mid-90s, the marketing team rolled out a friendly, folksy, gently comic ad campaign starring the boxer. Almost instantly, the grill blew up. Whether you were a college kid on a budget, or a millionaire in the suburbs, everyone wanted one.

If it was George I would’ve said “No thanks, I like this 40% too much”!

200.gif