Percy calls out Michael Jordan: Nigga you built Nike and you don't have an ownership stake after all these years???

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jordan was a great basketball player that's it. As far as businessman not so much his businesses have failed he owned a car dealership which is closed down, his restaurant closed down and he's not even a good basketball executive by most accounts.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jordan was a great basketball player that's it. As far as businessman not so much his businesses have failed he owned a car dealership which is closed down, his restaurant closed down and he's not even a good basketball executive by most accounts.
well he was great at 2 things bball and being marketable

cause there’s many great athletes that didnt have the same marketability as him

quite as kept his marketability is what open the door for many cats today.. nigs still might being get under paid for shoe deals or wouldn’t had as many endorsement opportunities.. no bball player had a Nike deal prior and now everybody and their mama trying to get on team Nike

just remember prior to Mike deal the highest paid shoe deal was James worthy.. not magic, not bird, not Kareem but worthy( somebody that’s a hall of famer but not on the same level as those 3)

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's no evidence he didn't have enough to buy the team it's true he didn't really spend his own money up front but he been had the investment group together he had that ready in 03 lol. Most owners don't spend they own money initially everyone knows that.
All the evidence in the world exists to prove he didnt have the money. He had to get an investment group for this specific reason. Do you know how investment and purchase groups work and what their purpose and function is? Further proof came once the valuation started to skyrocket and MJ started to buy everyone out when his networth and stake allowed him to do so financially.

You niggas just be talking just to talk.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm seriously asking... But do you ALWAYS have to own something if youre being compensated well for what you're being asked to do???
What P is saying is true. If Mike was actually given a stake in the company he would be a billionaire a few times over.

P is preaching look at the bigger picture. If a company can give you a billion dollars, how much did they take home

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What P is saying is true. If Mike was actually given a stake in the company he would be a billionaire a few times over.

P is preaching look at the bigger picture. If a company can give you a billion dollars, how much did they take home

So... How much more money is necessary to be happy??? At what point does it cross into greed??? Jordan probably hasnt worried about anything financial in decades. Like video game point money. Why is it necessary to own a stake in Nike, provided he doesnt already??? Also, why does Nike making MORE money than the checks they cut the people they endorse matter at all??? If Jordan is happy with the lifetime deal he has for leasing his NIL???......... Seems like something more about ego than tangible benefits. Hell I think I read that Nike is still doing right by Bo Jackson and he aint been relevant(in terms of on the field presence) since the early 90s. My beef isnt with P, but rather this "You stupid for not getting a piece, you gotta be an owner or youre just a slave" stance out here now. I know people working for companies that are paid well, happy with their work/life balance and on pace to retire. I also know some small business owners scraping by, working 70-80 hours a week and dont know how much longer theyll be able to hold on. Again, I dont see the issue with being a well compensated employee of a company that clearly values you.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So... How much more money is necessary to be happy??? At what point does it cross into greed??? Jordan probably hasnt worried about anything financial in decades. Like video game point money. Why is it necessary to own a stake in Nike, provided he doesnt already??? Also, why does Nike making MORE money than the checks they cut the people they endorse matter at all??? If Jordan is happy with the lifetime deal he has for leasing his NIL???......... Seems like something more about ego than tangible benefits. Hell I think I read that Nike is still doing right by Bo Jackson and he aint been relevant(in terms of on the field presence) since the early 90s. My beef isnt with P, but rather this "You stupid for not getting a piece, you gotta be an owner or youre just a slave" stance out here now. I know people working for companies that are paid well, happy with their work/life balance and on pace to retire. I also know some small business owners scraping by, working 70-80 hours a week and dont know how much longer theyll be able to hold on. Again, I dont see the issue with being a well compensated employee of a company that clearly values you.

Your beef is with yourself because P didn’t say or formulate the words to be taken as"You stupid for not getting a piece, you gotta be an owner or youre just a slave".

Lastly, I believe the issue is once people look at the numbers they feel that MJ should’ve been given more. Jordan Brand made 3 times more money last year than they’ve paid MJ in almost 40 years.

Most are simply saying it’s not right or fair, but it’s business.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Your beef is with yourself because P didn’t say or formulate the words to be taken as"You stupid for not getting a piece, you gotta be an owner or youre just a slave".

Lastly, I believe the issue is once people look at the numbers they feel that MJ should’ve been given more. Jordan Brand made 3 times more money last year than they’ve paid MJ in almost 40 years.

Most are simply saying it’s not right or fair, but it’s business.

This is more of a sidebar convo. My apologies for making it seem like its part of what P said. He was responding to an open ended question I made on the front page. Didn't have anything to do with what P did/didn't say.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is more of a sidebar convo. My apologies for making it seem like its part of what P said. He was responding to an open ended question I made on the front page. Didn't have anything to do with what P did/didn't say.

Respect.

Unfortunately the sidebar convo is what people are taking it as what P said and it’s very unfortunate.

theteacher

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
P is like... "fuck ya'll niggaz."
tumblr_mr3e4urKIi1reey4zo2_500.gif

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is not the point or even the point P was making. It about business and wealth. If you are going to make a company billions in profits you should broker a deal to get a better percentage of the profits

Don’t ever short change yourself just because someone is paying you a few million. Also you should seek to own.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

most financial advisors tell young athletes to stay from types of businesses....CRR

C
lothing line
Record label
Restaurant

notorious money pits...:money::money::money::money:

well he was great at 2 things bball and being marketable

cause there’s many great athletes that didnt have the same marketability as him

quite as kept his marketability is what open the door for many cats today.. nigs still might being get under paid for shoe deals or wouldn’t had as many endorsement opportunities.. no bball player had a Nike deal prior and now everybody and their mama trying to get on team Nike

just remember prior to Mike deal the highest paid shoe deal was James worthy.. not magic, not bird, not Kareem but worthy( somebody that’s a hall of famer but not on the same level as those 3)
packwatch-pack.gif

james worthy said...FUCK YOU MY MAN.. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Phil Knight is worth anywhere from $45 - $63 billion dollars.....

if you know for a fact that Jordan Brand has made his company

Per investor.nike.com $4.5, 3.6, 3.1, 2.86, 3.1 = $17.16 billion in the past 5 years alone.....

And see that in that time Mike has made about $400- 500 million..... but Phil made nearly $2 billion in those first 3 years....(he stepped down I think before fiscal years 2020 and 2021.)

And from Nikes own investors reports for many of those years Jordan brand was the only part of the company doing better year over year.......

So is Phil Knight greedy for riding the Jordan wave and cashing in?? No he's a good business man right?

For his last 7 years Phil still made more from Brand Jordan only than Jordan himself in 26 years....that's the problem I have.

It would have been better business to ask for an equity stake of Nike, hell of even his own brand. No one is saying the deal was shitty and Mike was stupid got played...... especially considering how shitty deals were in 1984.....

But after looking at the overall numbers, Mike would have been justified in demanding more......or taking his "Brand" elsewhere because as it stands the past 3 fiscal years Jordan brand has been the brightest spot on Nike’s revenue reports......and seemingly Mike isn't getting paid nearly as much as he COULD

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, not of Nike's earning. Just the Jordan brand.
If he's only getting 5% of a brand with his likeness and name on it than he's fucking stupid. The only thing I agree with Dame Dash in his interview with the Breakfast Club is that after you build your name and the people know you why are you working for someone else. No one is going to convince me that Jordan can't find someone overseas that can manufacture the items Nike produces and or find distribution for those same items whereby he can cut Nike out.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
18 years ago I bought an Ice cream truck while in college, it came with some rap snacks & ice cream already in freezer.
Nobody was selling them back then.

I used to wear a white Dickies button up and play Master P-Mr. Ice Cream man and Birdman & Clipse-"what happen to that boy" on repeat.
You wasn’t never the ice cream man.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If he's only getting 5% of a brand with his likeness and name on it than he's fucking stupid. The only thing I agree with Dame Dash in his interview with the Breakfast Club is that after you build your name and the people know you why are you working for someone else. No one is going to convince me that Jordan can't find someone overseas that can manufacture the items Nike produces and or find distribution for those same items whereby he can cut Nike out.
The thing is people are buying his retros not really his new shit..I’m pretty sure Nike has the patent to his design of his old school kicks..if Jordan wanted to part ways ..Nike wouldn’t be able to use his name but they could still use the design..in the end Nike could retro the design and still make money off of them.. as far as mj he wouldn’t be able to use the retro design and would have to rely on new sales from new designs which if his designer team ain’t nice might not move the new product… the money is in the retro kicks and therefore why Jordan rather stay with Nike and collect them checks than hope to sell a bunch of new kicks.. just look at people feet what Jordan’s do people have on? His new shit or his old shit?

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Folks downplaying his ownership of the Hornets is hilarious. First, no one knows how many shares he has in Nike. Second, why would you spend $300 million of your own money to buy the hornets when you can leverage low interest, probably non recourse debt?

I just don’t get this angle. He leveraged basketball into becoming a multi-billionaire and owns one of the fastest growing assets (a major sports team) in the business world.

Finally, the Hornets are now selling out the arena (great selection in Lamelo Ball).

Fuck all this MJ Stan shit. No need to tear a brotha down to make a point about financial success and good business strategy.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The thing is people are buying his retros not really his new shit..I’m pretty sure Nike has the patent to his design of his old school kicks..if Jordan wanted to part ways ..Nike wouldn’t be able to use his name but they could still use the design..in the end Nike could retro the design and still make money off of them.. as far as mj he wouldn’t be able to use the retro design and would have to rely on new sales from new designs which if his designer team ain’t nice might not move the new product… the money is in the retro kicks and therefore why Jordan rather stay with Nike and collect them checks than hope to sell a bunch of new kicks.. just look at people feet what Jordan’s do people have on? His new shit or his old shit?
I guess you have a point, Didn't Vanessa Bryant recently end their deal with Nike and say what you will about Kobe but he was a business man.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
That is not the point or even the point P was making. It about business and wealth. If you are going to make a company billions in profits you should broker a deal to get a better percentage of the profits

Don’t ever short change yourself just because someone is paying you a few million. Also you should seek to own.

So if you hired a consultant for your business and they doubled profit in a year or two they would be entitled to a portion of ownership of your company?

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So if you hired a consultant for your business and they doubled profit in a year or two they would be entitled to a portion of ownership of your company?
What p is saying. If you are the brand and people are purchasing items because of you. If you have the money, it is better to do it yourself and not be comfortable with a 200 million contract.

P is not saying it is wrong to take deals but at some point, we as blacks have to start owning the things we promote.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
What p is saying. If you are the brand and people are purchasing items because of you. If you have the money, it is better to do it yourself and not be comfortable with a 200 million contract.

P is not saying it is wrong to take deals but at some point, we as blacks have to start owning the things we promote.

You didn't answer my question.

Let me rephrase: if you hired someone to be the commercial spokesman for your company and revenue doubled in a year or two would they be entitled to a portion of ownership of your company?

BKF

Rising Star
Registered

Let me rephrase: if you hired someone to be the commercial spokesman for your company and revenue doubled in a year or two would they be entitled to a portion of ownership of your company?
No one is entitled to anything. Yet if I as a spokesperson see that I made a company into a major player in the sports apparel businesses. I will without doubt demand a larger share of the profits, if not some level of onwership. You can say yes or no...and I can choose to stay or take my influence elsewhere or create my own business.
It's called recognizing your value and being compensated for your value.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yes they would. If they doubled your revenue, it would be dumb not to compensate them

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No one is entitled to anything. Yet if I as a spokesperson see that I made a company into a major player in the sports apparel businesses. I will without doubt demand a larger share of the profits, if not some level of onwership. You can say yes or no...and I can choose to stay or take my influence elsewhere or create my own business.
Lol I just replied with about the same stance. If someone doubled a companies revenue. They should expect more compensation. Like you stated, they can say yes or no.

But a smart business man would pay them what they are worth

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Lol I just replied with about the same stance. If someone doubled a companies revenue. They should expect more compensation. Like you stated, they can say yes or no.

But a smart business man would pay them what they are worth
If Jordan worked for a Law firm and he did what he did with Nike for that Law firm. They most definitely would make him a partner.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Yes they would. If they doubled your revenue, it would be dumb not to compensate them

He was given more than 3 times the richest contract b4 him as a sneaker deal.. most people will sleep on that part..

Looks like he was compensated at the time.....because 30 something years later he doesn't have a comparable net worth of the owner of Nike he's somehow a business failure?

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
If Jordan worked for a Law firm and he did what he did with Nike for that Law firm. They most definitely would make him a partner.

Are you comparing a law firm partner to someone who was paid by a company to wear their shoes? Really?

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Yes because the bottomline is the same. Profit and prestige.

You do realize their are actual responsibilities that come with being a law firm partner besides bringing in clients, right?

What responsibilities did Jordan have besides wearing the shoes and showing up for the commercials and photoshoots? What pressure did he have to sell shoes?

Last edited: