Pacquiao prepares for 'no' from Mayweather Jr.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Cheating in the manner his team did is indefensible. My point is simple. You nor I had the wraps placed on our hands. So neither of us can say what antonio knew or felt. Speculating on stuff like that is pointless to me. Unless they proved he knew I am going to agreenwith the board and give him the benefit of doubt he didn't know.

Cotto and Antonio not fighting does not change my view that antonio was considered better.

I see your point.... I think, but unless Dude's hands were pulled off of his wrist and taken into another room for wrapping, he saw what was being put on his hands, and he KNEW it wasn't the same wraps he trained with!!! He definitely shouldn't be allowed to box again, and should have quite frankly had criminal action brought against him, that shit is definitely a concealed weapon.. :smh:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I understand the money aspect of the sport. However as a fan it doesn't matter to me. A few years ago I wanted to see pbf in the ring against cot to and Antonio. The post dude linked to isn't gospel anyways. It is just a perspective. The fact is pbf turned down the offer to fight Antonio.

I don't hate on Antonio as some people do. That is because I don't know if he knowingly cheated. I am giving dude a pass. I liked watching him and he was a dude people were scared of fighting for quite a while.

All I can say is how I see it. You guys see that he had a monetary reason to walk away and I see it that he had a big reason to fight the best ww at that time. But there is a reason he is called money and not the greatest.

As someone that has wrapped hands and had hands wrapped, IMO Antonio had to know something was up with the rock wraps. Initially, I was not impressed by Margarito at all. I first saw him when he fought Antonio Diaz and I remember thinking he sucked mainly because he was going life and death with Diaz and Diaz was never really any good. Then I saw him knock out a damaged post Mayorga Six Heads Lewis with slow motion punches and they started hyping him up for Mayorga. I also saw him go life and death with Daniel Santos.I was shocked when Margarito was able to make Cintron pretty much quit in the ring in both fights and also when he was so competitive with Paul Williams. In retrospect, I wouldn't be surprised if Margarito started using the rock wraps to get the extra edge from even the first Cintron fight. It would make sense because Cintron reacted to the punches as if he had never felt anything like them before and he pretty much quit in the fight as opposed to getting knocked out cold, kind of like Cotto did.

Anyway, I agree that as a fan, I could care less about Mayweather's business deals and the bottom line is for whatever reasons, he opted to fight Baldomir instead of Margarito. No matter what anyone says, Margarito was held in a much higher regard than Baldomir at the time. Baldomir was seen as a bum that hit the lottery by beating a customarily lackadaisical Zab Judah.

Those who excuse May for fighting Baldomir because of monetary reasons shouldn't say Pac should fight Bradley, Berto, or anyone else as opposed to Margarito and Cotto. Outside of Mayweather, Margarito and Cotto probably present the biggest money fights for Pac. So if it's all about the money and not necessarily what the fans want then it's all good, right?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Bradleyand berto are fights for Manny that don't matter. Not to mention neither of them are ready for a manny or pbf. Those two should fight each other and stop asking for fights they are not ready.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It will be for the WBC super welterweight title. What weight they'll fight at will be interesting. I'd really be interested to see if Manny could get up to 154 and still retain his speed and strengh.
Where the hell did that title come from anyway? Did Margarito win it from that tomato can Garcia?

He wouldn't have to make 154. He'd just have to way over 147. 154 is the limit but there's no rule saying you have to weigh the limit unless there is some sort of catchweight or extra official rule in place. The title is vacant. It probably came from when they forced Sergio Martinez to keep either the junior middle or middleweight title and he chose middle.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
As someone that has wrapped hands and had hands wrapped, IMO Antonio had to know something was up with the rock wraps. .I was shocked when Margarito was able to make Cintron pretty much quit in the ring in both fights and also when he was so competitive with Paul Williams. In retrospect, I wouldn't be surprised if Margarito started using the rock wraps to get the extra edge from even the first Cintron fight. It would make sense because Cintron reacted to the punches as if he had never felt anything like them before and he pretty much quit in the fight as opposed to getting knocked out cold, kind of like Cotto did.

Agreed.

Those who excuse May for fighting Baldomir because of monetary reasons shouldn't say Pac should fight Bradley, Berto, or anyone else as opposed to Margarito and Cotto. Outside of Mayweather, Margarito and Cotto probably present the biggest money fights for Pac. So if it's all about the money and not necessarily what the fans want then it's all good, right?

I don't see anyone taking Manny to task at all (see last page). There is definitely more money in fighting Margarito than anyone else except maybe Cotto in NY during the PR Day Parade weekend.

Bradleyand berto are fights for Manny that don't matter. Not to mention neither of them are ready for a manny or pbf. Those two should fight each other and stop asking for fights they are not ready.

Yep.

He wouldn't have to make 154. He'd just have to way over 147. 154 is the limit but there's no rule saying you have to weigh the limit unless there is some sort of catchweight or extra official rule in place. The title is vacant. It probably came from when they forced Sergio Martinez to keep either the junior middle or middleweight title and he chose middle.

I get that but it would be crazy for him to come in at 148-149 when Margarito could and probably will come in at 154-160.

That's exactly the title they're fighting for. Now can somebody tell me how these two became the top contenders for it?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I don't see anyone taking Manny to task at all (see last page). There is definitely more money in fighting Margarito than anyone else except maybe Cotto in NY during the PR Day Parade weekend.

The only problem I have with that argument is Mayweather still trying to get the BIG money when he fought Baldomir. Now both Manny and Floyd command big pay outs no matter who they fight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Say that again, ARM. I'm missing your point.

Baldomir, Judah and Gatti were all stepping stones to getting that De La Hoya money. So I give Floyd a pass.

Now both Mayweather and Pacquiao command the biggest pay outs so why should either one get a pass... for monetary reasons.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

It's funny you say that cause that was my argument last year for why Floyd didn't have to fight Clottey or Berto, but then again Floyd was supposed to dominated everybody at welter according to some of you cats.

Then again you think Margarito was a top fighter....:lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
It's funny you say that cause that was my argument last year for why Floyd didn't have to fight Clottey or Berto, but then again Floyd was supposed to dominated everybody at welter according to some of you cats.

:lol:
You know consistency goes out the window when there's a chance to shit on Floyd Mayweather.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
:lol:
You know consistency goes out the window when there's a chance to shit on Floyd Mayweather.

It would be consistent if he said Bradley is too small for Manny sort of how they say Marquez/Hatton and Manny was/are too small for Floyd, but what would be the argument for why Manny can't fight Berto?

In reality there are two set of rules.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I've always said that I would like to actually see Floyd dominate a division, something he hasn't done since lightweight almost ten years ago. In other words, I would like to see him unify at welter and make defenses kind of like Jones did at light heavy. I don't see what's so bad about Floyd fighting Berto but most people on this board think Berto or anyone not named Manny Pacquiao is not even worth fighting. If Berto's so easy and Pac is the only big fight available for Floyd that he can't make, then Floyd should just collect belts in the mean time for easy money. If everything would be so easy for Floyd like people say, then actually unifying the division and making some defenses would gain him great respect and possibly place him in conversation for greatest welter all time. Otherwise, Mayweather should just retire if he really thinks like his fans do.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
At this point (if he ever did) Floyd doesn't care about collecting belts. He didn't even want Shane's title.
I would watch him fight Berto or Bradley but I don't see how that would change too many opinions of him, one way or the other. I don't see too many people switching after his beating of Mosley.

merce77

Star
Registered
Man just going through some hard times this summer so I've had to cut back on some things....I haven't been online much at all the past few months....

...but that sig is real funny tho :D

;) gotcha :D

I hear you, good to see you back though.:cool:

It will be for the WBC super welterweight title. What weight they'll fight at will be interesting. I'd really be interested to see if Manny could get up to 154 and still retain his speed and strengh.
Where the hell did that title come from anyway? Did Margarito win it from that tomato can Garcia?

I think it's vacant. I'd like to know who the Ring Magazine linear titleholder is at that weight though.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I hear you, good to see you back though.:cool:

I think it's vacant. I'd like to know who the Ring Magazine linear titleholder is at that weight though.

Looked it up. There is no Ring champion and all the titles are held by Cotto, Spinks, Dzinziruk.
This is a sham and a fraud of a title fight so Manny can "win" his eighth championship in a different weight class.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
At this point (if he ever did) Floyd doesn't care about collecting belts. He didn't even want Shane's title.
I would watch him fight Berto or Bradley but I don't see how that would change too many opinions of him, one way or the other. I don't see too many people switching after his beating of Mosley.

Floyd has to fight some one better than Bradley or Berto to get a pass.

Manny could fight the Brooklyn Brawler and it's cool.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I wouldn't think much of Floyd fighting Bradley unless he fought him at 140. I think Floyd beating Berto would change some opinions. My opinion about Floyd is that he really doesn't care about fighting anyone young, fresh, in his weight class, and not on a losing streak. A lot of people have this opinion. If Floyd started taking on all comers and wiping out the other champs in his own division, there wouldn't be much to criticize. That's what Floyd did at lightweight and that's why nobody criticizes his work there.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I wouldn't think much of Floyd fighting Bradley unless he fought him at 140. I think Floyd beating Berto would change some opinions. My opinion about Floyd is that he really doesn't care about fighting anyone young, fresh, in his weight class, and not on a losing streak. A lot of people have this opinion. If Floyd started taking on all comers and wiping out the other champs in his own division, there wouldn't be much to criticize. That's what Floyd did at lightweight and that's why nobody criticizes his work there.

Right now, his beating Ricky Hatton means more than him potentially beating Andre Berto unless Berto beats someone or can draw money. Beating now wouldn't change one opinion because no one thinks much of Berto and he hasn't done much to change that. He's a good young fighter who hasn't beaten anyone.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Right now, his beating Ricky Hatton means more than him potentially beating Andre Berto unless Berto beats someone or can draw money. Beating now wouldn't change one opinion because no one thinks much of Berto and he hasn't done much to change that. He's a good young fighter who hasn't beaten anyone.

lol, not even one opinion? I doubt that, but regardless, who do you think Floyd should fight? Are all other fights besides Pac just meaningless for Floyd? Maybe he should just retire again. He very well may have.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

man that is what I'm saying where did this alphabet belt come from....they are trying to get this man a belt at 154 at all cost....

if PAC retains his strength and stamina at 154 he has to be on something....

the guy should be fighting at 140...he is killing himself just to get to 147....now 154 IDK....

Bob Arum is a blood sucking bitch...

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
man that is what I'm saying where did this alphabet belt come from....they are trying to get this man a belt at 154 at all cost....

if PAC retains his strength and stamina at 154 he has to be on something....

the guy should be fighting at 140...he is killing himself just to get to 147....now 154 IDK....

Bob Arum is a blood sucking bitch...

He's not killing himself to make 147. He's just rehydrating before the weigh in as opposed to after and he still has never made the limit. It's actually an ingenious strategy because he actually doesn't have to strain his body to make weight and at the same time he preserves the same speed he'd have at 140 while not weakening. Very smart tactics and manipulation of the current weigh in system.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
and Pac is clearly a 140 fighter...and in that division Bradley is one of the best...and his style matches up well with Pac...I would expect alot of action...

how can someone say that he isn't ready...the winner of Alexander Vs. Bradley should get a shot at Pac in the future...

how about Zab and Pac....

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
He's not killing himself to make 147. He's just rehydrating before the weigh in as opposed to after and he still has never made the limit. It's actually an ingenious strategy because he actually doesn't have to strain his body to make weight and at the same time he preserves the same speed he'd have at 140 while not weakening. Very smart tactics and manipulation of the current weigh in system.

I read an interview that said he is eating alot and doesn't like making wieght for 147....

you think catchwieght for this Macheato fight?

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I read an interview that said he is eating alot and doesn't like making wieght for 147....

you think catchwieght for this Macheato fight?

Who knows? Maybe since Margarito has been at 147 before. He probably wouldn't care about committing to weighing less than the full 154.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

http://www.theboxinghistorian.com/awards/p4p-history.html

You are joking right about Antonio never being considered a top fighter?

Pbf only reason to fight clotted and berto stems from him not fighting the best in his weight class. That's all.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.theboxinghistorian.com/awards/p4p-history.html

You are joking right about Antonio never being considered a top fighter?

Pbf only reason to fight clotted and berto stems from him not fighting the best in his weight class. That's all.

No I'm not joking... anybody that thinks Margarito is a top/good/great fighter is an idiot just like the people who think Gatti was a top/good/great fighter. Oh and throw Hatton on that list too.

Can some one explain to me why Manny isn't talked about like he is a real welter weight?

Floyd has to be an unnatural force at welter and beat everybody while Manny can just be another fighter who fights whoever he wants.

Manny fought De La Hoya and Clottey at welter and Cotto at a Catch weight.

Floyd has fought Baldomir, Gatti, Judah, and Mosley at welter and De La Hoya at a higher weight.

Even if we go back in time and take Mosley off, why was unacceptable for Floyd to want Pac and then Shane, but now it is acceptable for Manny to fight Margarito and Cotto (who he beat the brakes off of). :confused:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
No I'm not joking anybody that thinks Margarito is a top/good/great fighter is an idiot just like the people who think Gatti was a top/good/great fighter.

Can some one explain to me why Manny isn't talked about like he is a real welter weight?

Floyd has to be an unnatural force at welter and beat everybody while Manny can just be another fighter who fights whoever he wants.

Floyd has fought Baldomir, Gatti, Judah, and Mosley at welter and De La Hoya at a higher weight.

Even if we go back in time and take Mosley off, why was unacceptable for Floyd to want Pac and then Shane, but now it is acceptable for Manny to fight Margarito and Cotto (who he beat the brakes off of). :confused:

Before you said "was" now you are saying "is". Of course I am not saying he is right now. But at one time not that long ago he was the man in the ww division. I don't get why you waste time with foolish disagreements with me. It is funny though.

You arguement is interesting. You know why is is acceptable for manny to fight Antonio? Because he asked pbf and got no answer.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In spite of anyone's personal opinion regarding Margarito's quality, you'd have to be in denial to not at least accept that he was held in high regard and at least top 3 in the welterweight division at one point. This is not about message board guys making shit up. All you have to do is look into the rankings for the years in question or pick up some old boxing magazines.

Regarding Pacquiao and Mayweather's competition at welterweight, there are a few ways we can look at this. Mayweather has been a full fledged welterweight since 2005 when he first fought Sharmba Mitchell (ugh!) there. Yeah, a Sharmba Mitchell that was best at 140 and even sucked in that division. Anyway, in 5 YEARS in the division, Mayweather has only managed to fight THREE welterweights (FOUR if you count Mitchell). Let that sink in for a moment. He fought Baldomir (bum with 9 losses), Judah (coming off of a loss to a bum with 9 losses) and Mosley. Not very impressive at all.

Pacquiao just got to welter in December of 2008 and as of 2010 as already fought three welterweights(TWO if you don't count DLH). To be fair, Pac fought a De La Hoya that was favored to beat him but in reality had not been a factor at welterweight for many years. Pac fought a Miguel Cotto that IMO was damaged goods but apparently some think he was not and Pac must have needed PED's to beat him. Pac fought a Clottey that a lot of guys were saying would muscle and walk down Pac. IMO, Clottey was always some B level gatekeeper type loser kind of like a Malignaggi.

In summary, at least Pac seems like he's trying to fight somebody in his own division or higher where as it would seem that the Mayweather of late jumps through hoops not to fight the guys in his own division. Three welters in 5 years just doesn't seem right.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
No I'm not joking... anybody that thinks Margarito is a top/good/great fighter is an idiot just like the people who think Gatti was a top/good/great fighter. Oh and throw Hatton on that list too.

Lmao! You are on a roll. I'm am idiot cause I state a fact about Antonio.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Before you said "was" now you are saying "is". Of course I am not saying he is right now. But at one time not that long ago he was the man in the ww division. I don't get why you waste time with foolish disagreements with me. It is funny though.

You arguement is interesting. You know why is is acceptable for manny to fight Antonio? Because he asked pbf and got no answer.

was/is either way Margarito has never been a good/great fighter. Holding a belt makes you a top guy in some circles but in reality bums get titles all the time and get hyped up like they are the best fighter on the scene.... but Margarito was always an overrated bum.

From what I've read Mayweather hasn't said no. Arum created a deadline and move on to this bullshit.

Last year Pacman moved on when he didn't want to drug test and he fought Clottey, which is really the only legit welter win on his record if we play the weight game that cats play with Floyd.....

Mayweather fought Shane.

Now I say to you isn't time to hold these guys to the same standards.

P.S. add Pavlik to my previous list of bullshit fighters.