Pacquiao prepares for 'no' from Mayweather Jr.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Im bullshitting but if Pacman fights at 154 and retains his power and speed (and wins impressively) and ISNT using PEDs he is the GOAT :smh::lol::lol::lol:

I agree but I don't think any testing will be done on this fight so we will never know.

Shit the way they operate at Top Rank I would be surprised if there is even a referee.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
was/is either way Margarito has never been a good/great fighter. Holding a belt makes you a top guy in some circles but in reality bums get titles all the time and get hyped up like they are the best fighter on the scene.... but Margarito was always an overrated bum.

From what I've read Mayweather hasn't said no. Arum created a deadline and move on to this bullshit.

Last year Pacman moved on when he didn't want to drug test and he fought Clottey, which is really the only legit welter win on his record if we play the weight game that cats play with Floyd.....

Mayweather fought Shane.

Now I say to you isn't time to hold these guys to the same standards.

If that is how you view this issues then cool. There isn't anything I can say to you to better understand my viewpoint. At least I understand yours.

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
If that is how you view this issues then cool. There isn't anything I can say to better understand my viewpoint. Atleast I understand yours.

Then we are in agreement because neither of us understand your point of view.

The edit button is a great tool.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I agree but I don't think any testing will be done on this fight so we will never know.

Shit the way they operate at Top Rank I would be surprised if there is even a referee.

Yeah..that is why I was bullshitting because I dont give a shit what happens in this fight...Margarito is a cheating ass overrated fighter and clearly (under these circumstances) is a shill for Arum... but would be interesting to see pac at a heavier weight because im already amazed by him coming up in weight and retaining his speed and power..but if he goes up even more and AGAIN seems like the stronger-harder hitter :eek::eek::smh:

merce77

Star
Registered
Yeah..that is why I was bullshitting because I dont give a shit what happens in this fight...Margarito is a cheating ass overrated fighter and clearly (under these circumstances) is a shill for Arum... but would be interesting to see pac at a heavier weight because im already amazed by him coming up in weight and retaining his speed and power..but if he goes up even more and AGAIN seems like the stronger-harder hitter :eek::eek::smh:

I doubt it, because Roach wanted Cotto again at a catchweight, Roach knows his fighters limits, Cotto's team(Emmanuel) said no, it takes place at 154 or it doesn't happen. All the talk up until about 2 weeks ago was that he was gonna fight Cotto again, they even sat with Cotto and said things were going good. When Cotto's team demanded a non-catchweight 154 fight, Margarito became the frontrunner. It'll be some bullshit catchweight, they got Margarito by the balls, he's desperate and would fight a mannequin for a good paycheck right now. I'm convinced, Cotto/Pac at 154 with Steward in his corner is something they don't want to risk since he didn't even really fight him at welter the first time. But if Pac fights Margarito and loses then Arum's still got an already well hyped up MArgarito/Cotto rematch. Which would be huge, considering Margarito came back to beat the p4p and Cotto wants revenge. Arum is Satan.:smh:

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I doubt it, because Roach wanted Cotto again at a catchweight, Roach knows his fighters limits, Cotto's team(Emmanuel) said no, it takes place at 154 or it doesn't happen. All the talk up until about 2 weeks ago was that he was gonna fight Cotto again, they even sat with Cotto and said things were going good. When Cotto's team demanded a non-catchweight 154 fight, Margarito became the frontrunner. It'll be some bullshit catchweight, they got Margarito by the balls, he's desperate and would fight a mannequin for a good paycheck right now. I'm convinced, Cotto/Pac at 154 with Steward in his corner is something they don't want to risk since he didn't even really fight him at welter the first time. But if Pac fights Margarito and loses then Arum's still got an already well hyped up MArgarito/Cotto rematch. Which would be huge, considering Margarito came back to beat the p4p and Cotto wants revenge. Arum is Satan.:smh:

The shit works out too perfect for Arum either way which is why I don't think Arum wanted Floyd until after Manny got a few more paydays....

merce77

Star
Registered
The shit works out too perfect for Arum either way which is why I don't think Arum wanted Floyd until after Manny got a few more paydays....

I don't doubt that shit at all, Arum's reasons/reasoning is just too plausible. In the meantime, Cotto will probably be fed Martirosyan or Saul Roman or whatever other Jr. Middles are with Top Rank.:smh: Never mind that Cotto/Cintron or Cotto/Angulo would be much better fights.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

Youve pretty much broken that down completely. I wasnt even thinking about the possible cotto-margarito rematch. Yeah...Arum is in a win-win situation.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I'm not sure why you keep stating this. Are you trying to say Cotto was weight drained? There's nothing in the rules saying that you have to fight at the limit of any given weight division. As long as the fight is held at a weight over 140lbs without going past 147lbs, it's a welterweight fight. I'm not trying to defend catchweight fights, my opinion on them depends on the actual catchweight and the fighters involved. To me, if Miguel Cotto weighed in at 146 against Clottey and was asked to weigh in just a pound less for his very next fight, I don't see what the big deal is. Even Cotto said "I felt really good at that weight, it wasn't a problem for me."
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6561.html

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Roach: Khan Destroys Bradley, Pacquiao Stops Him in One
Posted by: Mark Vester on 07-24-2010.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29522

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach was far from impressed with Timothy Bradley's recent welterweight debut. Bradley moved up to the welterweight division to win a twelve round decision over Carlos Abregu. Roach would like to see his champion, Amir Khan, face Bradley in the ring. After what Roach saw the other night, he says Khan would destroy Bradley in a fight. Khan has a return date set for December 11.

After Bradley beat Abregu, he challenged another champion trained by Roach, Manny Pacquiao. Roach agrees with the recent comments made by Devon Alexander's manager/trainer, Kevin Cunningham, and says the two fighters should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. He sees Pacquiao putting Bradley away in one round.

"Timothy Bradley looked like a bum. He is a good 140-pound fighter though. I would like to match him up with Amir Khan. Amir would destroy him, but Manny Pacquiao would knockout Bradley in one round. Bradley had an ordinary guy in front of him the other night, and he wasn't able to do anything with him. I was a little disappointed in the commentary in that fight, there was no action in that fight. Timothy Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao? A joke, not even in the same class," Roach said to 8countnews.com.

------------------------

This shit aggs me to no end. Roach is funny as shit, Talks all this shit AFTER they sign the Margarito fight!?!?!? Fuck this Dude, if what he is saying is true, then why the Fuck didn't they sign to fight him then, he could have recovered and had enough time to train for the Nov date. Fuck Roach!!! Plus, Khan is still available to fight later in the year or early next, I'll bet anything this big mouth bastard finds a way to talk circles around a fight for Bradley with either of them... if you aren't gonna fight him why keep talking about him... between Floyd's camp and Manny's camp, all the hollow shit talking... shit is getting boring as hell!!!! :smh:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't doubt that shit at all, Arum's reasons/reasoning is just too plausible. In the meantime, Cotto will probably be fed Martirosyan or Saul Roman or whatever other Jr. Middles are with Top Rank.:smh: Never mind that Cotto/Cintron or Cotto/Angulo would be much better fights.

Cotto would get blasted to smithereens by either of those guys IMO, especially Angulo.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Roach: Khan Destroys Bradley, Pacquiao Stops Him in One
Posted by: Mark Vester on 07-24-2010.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29522

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach was far from impressed with Timothy Bradley's recent welterweight debut. Bradley moved up to the welterweight division to win a twelve round decision over Carlos Abregu. Roach would like to see his champion, Amir Khan, face Bradley in the ring. After what Roach saw the other night, he says Khan would destroy Bradley in a fight. Khan has a return date set for December 11.

After Bradley beat Abregu, he challenged another champion trained by Roach, Manny Pacquiao. Roach agrees with the recent comments made by Devon Alexander's manager/trainer, Kevin Cunningham, and says the two fighters should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. He sees Pacquiao putting Bradley away in one round.

"Timothy Bradley looked like a bum. He is a good 140-pound fighter though. I would like to match him up with Amir Khan. Amir would destroy him, but Manny Pacquiao would knockout Bradley in one round. Bradley had an ordinary guy in front of him the other night, and he wasn't able to do anything with him. I was a little disappointed in the commentary in that fight, there was no action in that fight. Timothy Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao? A joke, not even in the same class," Roach said to 8countnews.com.

------------------------

This shit aggs me to no end. Roach is funny as shit, Talks all this shit AFTER they sign the Margarito fight!?!?!? Fuck this Dude, if what he is saying is true, then why the Fuck didn't they sign to fight him then, he could have recovered and had enough time to train for the Nov date. Fuck Roach!!! Plus, Khan is still available to fight later in the year or early next, I'll bet anything this big mouth bastard finds a way to talk circles around a fight for Bradley with either of them... if you aren't gonna fight him why keep talking about him... between Floyd's camp and Manny's camp, all the hollow shit talking... shit is getting boring as hell!!!! :smh:

I don't know why all the hate on Bradley's performance. I thought it was pretty good considering he's a midget and he was moving up in weight against an undefeated puncher. Anyway, I don't really care about the gossip and the Arum conspiracy stuff, I'm just happy to know that fights will be made. As much as people bitch now, people will be tuning into the Margarito vs Pac fight. I know I would like to see the fight if not for the circus freak show appeal of seeing the nearly six foot Margarito against the dwarflike Pac. In other words, Pac is fighting somebody and the fans have something to look forward to even if it's just second tier. As for Mayweather, I always get a kind of "fuck the fans" feeling from this guy and his next fight is always a mystery.

merce77

Star
Registered
I'm not sure why you keep stating this. Are you trying to say Cotto was weight drained? There's nothing in the rules saying that you have to fight at the limit of any given weight division. As long as the fight is held at a weight over 140lbs without going past 147lbs, it's a welterweight fight. I'm not trying to defend catchweight fights, my opinion on them depends on the actual catchweight and the fighters involved. To me, if Miguel Cotto weighed in at 146 against Clottey and was asked to weigh in just a pound less for his very next fight, I don't see what the big deal is. Even Cotto said "I felt really good at that weight, it wasn't a problem for me."
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6561.html

Do you have an extra chromosome or something, fighter A can come in at whatever weight he wants as long as it's within the weight limit, but when fighter A puts a limit on fighter B WITHIN a limit, it ceases being a true fight in said weight class. They limited Cotto, you have to know that it had some effect. Dude is already a legit cut up 154 his very next fight, c'mon Zef. I thought you knew more about actual boxing. He had to take off more weight and even a pound can make a big difference, especially if it's muscle weight you're burning off and not actual fat. Even Emmanuel doesn't believe Cotto felt good at that weight. Puerto Ricans are very prideful and will not make excuses unlike alot of other Latino "races", if there exists such a thing. Why didn't they limit Clottey in Pac's VERY NEXT FIGHT. Roach knew what he was doing and knew Cotto had no legs to negotiate on.

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
Khan really didn't impress me too much against Paulie. Dude makes ALOT of mistakes that a fast fighter with skill like Bradley would expose, I'd actually see Khan hitting the deck a couple of times and if they EVER fight, remember I said it. Wish I could sit with ya'll and watch the vid and point out his numerous flaws. Roach's greatest strength as a trainer is knowing who his guy can beat and who would beat his ass. This niccas fighters are bitchmade when they need him to do all the talking for them. Khan never even avenged his ko loss to that bum he fought, can't even remember the dudes name he was so unknown. Alexander would destroy Khan. They won't even put that ninja in with Zab Judah right now, which is the guy I think Bradley should fight next if he can't get a good fight. A solid beating of Zab would at least get him a little exposure, he needs every bit right now.

merce77

Star
Registered
Cotto would get blasted to smithereens by either of those guys IMO, especially Angulo.

Cintron hasn't BLASTED anyone away in a LONG time and Angulo has the skills of a burro, try again. Dislike Puerto Ricans much Zef? I hear this shit all the time from non Puerto Rican latinos. Every nicca that Tito ever fought was 'sposed to destroy him. Mexican at my job told me Juanma would be eaten by Concepcion....you guys are funny.:lol: Cintron will be broken down slowly by Cotto and stopped, he has no heart to do Cotto's type of battle, and Angulo is a young Margarito in terms of skill, he already lost to CINTRON - the Tin Man!!:lol:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Cintron hasn't BLASTED anyone away in a LONG time and Angulo has the skills of a burro, try again. Dislike Puerto Ricans much Zef? I hear this shit all the time from non Puerto Rican latinos. Every nicca that Tito ever fought was 'sposed to destroy him. Mexican at my job told me Juanma would be eaten by Concepcion....you guys are funny.:lol: Cintron will be broken down slowly by Cotto and stopped, he has no heart to do Cotto's type of battle, and Angulo is a young Margarito in terms of skill, he already lost to CINTRON - the Tin Man!!:lol:

But Merce... Margarito was a top fighter that everybody was afraid to fight.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Do you have an extra chromosome or something, fighter A can come in at whatever weight he wants as long as it's within the weight limit, but when fighter A puts a limit on fighter B WITHIN a limit, it ceases being a true fight in said weight class. They limited Cotto, you have to know that it had some effect. Dude is already a legit cut up 154 his very next fight, c'mon Zef. I thought you knew more about actual boxing. He had to take off more weight and even a pound can make a big difference, especially if it's muscle weight you're burning off and not actual fat. Even Emmanuel doesn't believe Cotto felt good at that weight. Puerto Ricans are very prideful and will not make excuses unlike alot of other Latino "races", if there exists such a thing. Why didn't they limit Clottey in Pac's VERY NEXT FIGHT. Roach knew what he was doing and knew Cotto had no legs to negotiate on.

Merce stop it.... This guy is a boxing expert. Weight only means something when your fighting Mayweather. :hmm: Who say you have to be consistent with your arguments?

Cotto came down, Oscar came down, Margarito will come down and shit Cotto might come down again and in the end if Floyd doesn't fight Pac, Clottey will be the only real welter weight that Manny beat at welter.

merce77

Star
Registered
Cintron might blast himself out the fucking ring...:smh::angry:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But Merce... Margarito was a top fighter that everybody was afraid to fight.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I forgot, how the fuck I keep forgetting that.:confused::smh::lol:

Merce stop it.... This guy is a boxing expert. Weight only means something when your fighting Mayweather. :hmm: Who say you have to be consistent with your arguments?

Cotto came down, Oscar came down, Margarito will come down and shit Cotto might come down again and in the end if Floyd doesn't fight Pac, Clottey will be the only real welter weight that Manny beat at welter.

This is so true, it's sad. I'm starting to really see Freddie Roach and Bob Arum as Darth Vader and the fucking Emperor, them cats are embodying everything that is wrong with boxing today. I can't believe this nicca Freddie is talking shit about Bradley after the fight with Margarito is signed.:angry::angry::angry: I'm always gonna have a grudge against Floyd as a fighter but I LOVE the fact that he FUCKED Arum at his own game and is keeping all his dough.:yes:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I haven't gotten my chromosomes checked lately but that shouldn't have anything to do with an opinion regarding sports. Anyway, you say this stuff as if YOU make the rules. You don't make the rules. Who the hell are you to say it's not a true fight just because extra rules regarding weight are made? Nobody.

I saw absolutely no reason to believe that Cotto was somehow weight drained against Pac just because he came in literally 1 pound lighter than he did in his previous match. I know you hate catchweights and understandably so but to try and make a monster out of 1 pound is ridiculous especially when even Cotto said he felt fine.

I saw Cotto interviewed live regarding this and you could tell his answer had nothing to do with pride. If you speak Spanish, find it on youtube, watch it yourself. When he was interviewed regarding Margarito having rock wraps when he fought him, yeah you could see that out of pride he did not want to blame his loss on it but that in reality he felt he probably had been a victim of cheating. You could just see it. Now, just because Cotto's statements don't support your argument, you want to say he's lying.

I think you are more knowledgeable than this but you hate catchweights so much that you are ignoring the reality of this particular situation and fight. The fact that Cotto looks physically cut up and great at 154 does not mean at all that he did not feel well or his best at 145. If that's the case, then maybe Pac was not at his best when he toasted Hatton at 140lbs since at 145 he looks very chiseled. Even after fighting Foreman at 154, Cotto made reference to his last fight at 145 and stated that he felt just as good at 154 as he had in his last fight. I assume that's supposed to mean he felt good.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Dislike Puerto Ricans? Some of you guys are just completely out of your minds in here. The paranoia is just ridiculous. If you criticize Mayweather, you hate blacks, now this. I'll tell you something, Felix Trinidad is one of my favorite fighters of all time and you can probably search my old posts and read some of my comments regarding him. If you read those comments, you might think I'm Puerto Rican. You really need to research who you're speaking with before you make accusations like that. It's really silly. Furthermore, Cintron is Puerto Rican too so I don't get where all this paranoia is coming from.

Regarding Cotto, Cintron and Angulo are both punchers at 154. Miguel Cotto is not the best defender and he has been chinny from way back when he was at 140. He got beaten up by Margarito and then beaten up by the midget Pacquiao. Cotto is ground beef right now. Angulo is a fresh, young, strong, natural 154 pound puncher. Cotto will taste some serious canvas against Angulo and Cintron too. Cotto will not be strong enough to be backing guys like this up at 154. That's my opinion and I would even bet on it, something I don't usually do because of so many intangibles in boxing.

Regarding Juanma, the guy was life and death against fucking Mtgawa. He's exciting but I don't see him even reaching Cotto status. HBO has been looking for another Trinidad ever since Tito fell off and none of these guys have come even close. Same for Julio Cesar Chavez, HBO has been trying for over 10 years to get another one unsuccessfully. When Juanma fights Gamboa or Caballero, I'll pay attention. Otherwise he's just fighting bums (and struggling) or old guys going downhill. Not interested.

merce77

Star
Registered
I haven't gotten my chromosomes checked lately but that shouldn't have anything to do with an opinion regarding sports. Anyway, you say this stuff as if YOU make the rules. You don't make the rules. Who the hell are you to say it's not a true fight just because extra rules regarding weight are made? Nobody.

I saw absolutely no reason to believe that Cotto was somehow weight drained against Pac just because he came in literally 1 pound lighter than he did in his previous match. I know you hate catchweights and understandably so but to try and make a monster out of 1 pound is ridiculous especially when even Cotto said he felt fine.

I saw Cotto interviewed live regarding this and you could tell his answer had nothing to do with pride. If you speak Spanish, find it on youtube, watch it yourself. When he was interviewed regarding Margarito having rock wraps when he fought him, yeah you could see that out of pride he did not want to blame his loss on it but that in reality he felt he probably had been a victim of cheating. You could just see it. Now, just because Cotto's statements don't support your argument, you want to say he's lying.

I think you are more knowledgeable than this but you hate catchweights so much that you are ignoring the reality of this particular situation and fight. The fact that Cotto looks physically cut up and great at 154 does not mean at all that he did not feel well or his best at 145. If that's the case, then maybe Pac was not at his best when he toasted Hatton at 140lbs since at 145 he looks very chiseled. Even after fighting Foreman at 154, Cotto made reference to his last fight at 145 and stated that he felt just as good at 154 as he had in his last fight. I assume that's supposed to mean he felt good.

Let's do some math here, from 145 to 154, nicca that's NINE pounds, whole weight classes don't span NINE pounds. That's not nine pounds he had to put on, it's nine pounds he didn't have to take off. My point is, if the 2 pounds from 147 to 145 didn't make any difference as you so insist, Why did Roach and Pac INSIST on it in the first place. BECAUSE IT MATTERED!!! God damm dude, how is that so difficult to grasp. Clottey was obviously there to lose against Pac and make him look good so it didn't matter what weight he came in at, he was there just to be an opponent. If weight doesn't matter, why did they refuse to fight Cotto at 154 without a catchweight? Freddie knows exactly what Pac can and can't do, and matches him accordingly. He also knows that making Cotto come in that close to 140 as opposed to closer to 150(not to mention the difference in rehydration) does make a difference, since Cotto couldn't take a punch at 140 but took Judah and Mosley's and Clottey's best shots at 147 without dropping. The nicca was getting rocked with plaster and only took a knee. So yeah, to me those 2 pounds definitely made a difference and Roach knew it.

The FACT of the matter is that they asked Cotto to come in 2 pounds below the limit, something they didn't ask of Clottey his VERY NEXT OPPONENT. With all your wisdom can you answer me WHY, if like you say, the 2 pounds didn't matter?:confused:

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
Dislike Puerto Ricans? Some of you guys are just completely out of your minds in here. The paranoia is just ridiculous. If you criticize Mayweather, you hate blacks, now this. I'll tell you something, Felix Trinidad is one of my favorite fighters of all time and you can probably search my old posts and read some of my comments regarding him. If you read those comments, you might think I'm Puerto Rican. You really need to research who you're speaking with before you make accusations like that. It's really silly. Furthermore, Cintron is Puerto Rican too so I don't get where all this paranoia is coming from.

Regarding Cotto, Cintron and Angulo are both punchers at 154. Miguel Cotto is not the best defender and he has been chinny from way back when he was at 140. He got beaten up by Margarito and then beaten up by the midget Pacquiao. Cotto is ground beef right now. Angulo is a fresh, young, strong, natural 154 pound puncher. Cotto will taste some serious canvas against Angulo and Cintron too. Cotto will not be strong enough to be backing guys like this up at 154. That's my opinion and I would even bet on it, something I don't usually do because of so many intangibles in boxing.

Regarding Juanma, the guy was life and death against fucking Mtgawa. He's exciting but I don't see him even reaching Cotto status. HBO has been looking for another Trinidad ever since Tito fell off and none of these guys have come even close. Same for Julio Cesar Chavez, HBO has been trying for over 10 years to get another one unsuccessfully. When Juanma fights Gamboa or Caballero, I'll pay attention. Otherwise he's just fighting bums (and struggling) or old guys going downhill. Not interested.

Every young fighter has to go through and usually does go through a fight like the Mtagawa fight, you know this. Floyd did, and so did many others, if you have what it takes, you get through it, if not....Did he drop like Khan did against his journeyman fighter, nope, was he ko'd like Khan was, nope. He showed heart, held on and won his fight. Sure Gamboa blasted Mtagwa, at a higher weight Mtagwa didn't belong at, but again, I ask you as you say Juanma has been fighting bums and over the hill guys, but then what have Gamboa and Caballero been fighting? Since none of their comp is even as notable as the bums and journeyman Juanma been fighting.:confused: Gamboa has fought 18 fights, almost half waht Lopez has fought against worse comp and been down more times. Caballero is a tall very flawed fighter who is getting long in the tooth at 34.
Fine, as you say, you have nothing against Ricans, it just seems strange that everytime a Rican fighter is brought up, you just seem to have something negative to say. If you say it's not true, then I apologize.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Let's do some math here, from 145 to 154, nicca that's NINE pounds, whole weight classes don't span NINE pounds. That's not nine pounds he had to put on, it's nine pounds he didn't have to take off. My point is, if the 2 pounds from 147 to 145 didn't make any difference as you so insist, Why did Roach and Pac INSIST on it in the first place. BECAUSE IT MATTERED!!! God damm dude, how is that so difficult to grasp. Clottey was obviously there to lose against Pac and make him look good so it didn't matter what weight he came in at, he was there just to be an opponent. If weight doesn't matter, why did they refuse to fight Cotto at 154 without a catchweight? Freddie knows exactly what Pac can and can't do, and matches him accordingly. He also knows that making Cotto come in that close to 140 as opposed to closer to 150(not to mention the difference in rehydration) does make a difference, since Cotto couldn't take a punch at 140 but took Judah and Mosley's and Clottey's best shots at 147 without dropping. The nicca was getting rocked with plaster and only took a knee. So yeah, to me those 2 pounds definitely made a difference and Roach knew it.

The FACT of the matter is that they asked Cotto to come in 2 pounds below the limit, something they didn't ask of Clottey his VERY NEXT OPPONENT. With all your wisdom can you answer me WHY, if like you say, the 2 pounds didn't matter?:confused:

Easy. It mattered to Roach, it didn't matter to Cotto. Ok, so you think that if Cotto weighed in 1 pound heavier, the outcome would have changed?

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Every young fighter has to go through and usually does go through a fight like the Mtagawa fight, you know this. Floyd did, and so did many others, if you have what it takes, you get through it, if not....Did he drop like Khan did against his journeyman fighter, nope, was he ko'd like Khan was, nope. He showed heart, held on and won his fight. Sure Gamboa blasted Mtagwa, at a higher weight Mtagwa didn't belong at, but again, I ask you as you say Juanma has been fighting bums and over the hill guys, but then what have Gamboa and Caballero been fighting? Since none of their comp is even as notable as the bums and journeyman Juanma been fighting.:confused: Gamboa has fought 18 fights, almost half waht Lopez has fought against worse comp and been down more times. Caballero is a tall very flawed fighter who is getting long in the tooth at 34.
Fine, as you say, you have nothing against Ricans, it just seems strange that everytime a Rican fighter is brought up, you just seem to have something negative to say. If you say it's not true, then I apologize.

Well, I'm a very big Tito Trinidad fan and I think that he is very underrated in several aspects of the game that a lot of people don't notice. For example, he is one of the only guys I've seen to consistently turn over his hooks. I thought his stance was impeccable.

If it seems like I talk bad about them it's because most of them are compared to Trinidad and I don't think these guys belong in the same sentence.

merce77

Star
Registered
Well, I'm a very big Tito Trinidad fan and I think that he is very underrated in several aspects of the game that a lot of people don't notice. For example, he is one of the only guys I've seen to consistently turn over his hooks. I thought his stance was impeccable.

If it seems like I talk bad about them it's because most of them are compared to Trinidad and I don't think these guys belong in the same sentence.

:lol:Can't argue there.

merce77

Star
Registered
Easy. It mattered to Roach, it didn't matter to Cotto. Ok, so you think that if Cotto weighed in 1 pound heavier, the outcome would have changed?

:confused:That makes no sense, they wouldn't have asked for it if they thought it would have a) no effect on Cotto and b) wasn't an advantage for Manny.

The outcome might not have been different, but those first couple rounds, Cotto got in his ass, Cotto is also easier to drop when lighter, that's a fact. Manny is a ko artist, he needs to drop guys, he doesn't win on points unless they're giving him decisions like the 2 fights against Marquez or he's fighting a coward-like Clottey who was too afraid to open up.

Cotto also fought a totally wack fight gameplan wise. He never held Manny when he got too close, and he let Manny force him back, a no-no against Pacman, he also attacked way too much instead of circling, controlling lanes and counterpunching.

Last edited:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:confused:That makes no sense, they wouldn't have asked for it if they thought it would have a) no effect on Cotto and b) wasn't an advantage for Manny.

The outcome might not have been different, but those first couple rounds, Cotto got in his ass, Cotto is also easier to drop when lighter, that's a fact. Manny is a ko artist, he needs to drop guys, he doesn't win on points unless they're giving him decisions like the 2 fights against Marquez or he's fighting a coward-like Clottey who was too afraid to open up.

Cotto also fought a totally wack fight gameplan wise. He never held Manny when he got too close, and he let Manny force him back, a no-no against Pacman, he also attacked way too much instead of circling, controlling lanes and counterpunching.

I think the gameplan stuff you mentioned was the main problem. I'll give you Cotto is easier to drop when lighter or at least when he was 140 and lower. I believe Roach definitely thought Cotto would be weaker with the catchweight thing but I am not convinced he was right. I think Cotto would have gotten waxed the same way had he weighed the one pound more.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I think the weight issue is funny. I've always held the position that high skilled fighters can move up to certain point and still be effective. I have rarely seen motherfuckers come down in weight and be effective. Generally it only happens when a motherfucker was fighting above their normal weight like Shane. Then again we know that boxing cats play too many games with their weight, and a motherfuckers could be killing himself to fight at a weight that is considered their normal weight.

So my position is that is I don't a fuck about the weight.... If the boxer signs to fight at a weight than it is on him to win and fuck the excuses. In my mind Cotto lost because he fought a dumb game plan and even if he could have won if he fought different, he is lesser fighter because he didn't have the boxing IQ to win.

With that said people can't have it both ways though. Weight is either an big issue or not. If niggas argue that Corrales was drained for Floyd when Corrales was already fighting at that weight than what the fuck happened to Cotto with this catch weight shit.

merce77

Star
Registered
My original argument wasn't even really about Cotto, it was whether Manny could go up in weight and take his power and speed up with him. They wanted Cotto at a lower weight but not Clottey, they didn't want Cotto at a catchweight at 154 but they'll take Margarito with no mention of a catchweight. Roach is a clever manipulator was my original point.
But I agree with you and your points, Cotto just wasn't good enough to win.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My original argument wasn't even really about Cotto, it was whether Manny could go up in weight and take his power and speed up with him. They wanted Cotto at a lower weight but not Clottey, they didn't want Cotto at a catchweight at 154 but they'll take Margarito with no mention of a catchweight. Roach is a clever manipulator was my original point.

Now in light of that, do you think Cotto will be good enough to beat Pac now simply because they'll be at 154?

merce77

Star
Registered
Now in light of that, do you think Cotto will be good enough to beat Pac now simply because they'll be at 154?

If he follows a good game plan, possibly. I'll have to see how Pac looks at super welter. He'll probably come in at 148 for the Margarito fight anyway. If Pac is slower and his power isn't felt like that, Cotto might have a chance. He has enuff of a chance that didn't want to fight him at 154.:dunno:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
lol, not even one opinion? I doubt that, but regardless, who do you think Floyd should fight? Are all other fights besides Pac just meaningless for Floyd? Maybe he should just retire again. He very well may have.

Ultimately, they would be unless he won and the guy went on to have a great career (similar to Roy Jones beating Hopkins early).
I could see him fight Williams but only because I like both fighters, I no longer think Paul could beat him.

was/is either way Margarito has never been a good/great fighter. Holding a belt makes you a top guy in some circles but in reality bums get titles all the time and get hyped up like they are the best fighter on the scene.... but Margarito was always an overrated bum.

From what I've read Mayweather hasn't said no. Arum created a deadline and move on to this bullshit.

Last year Pacman moved on when he didn't want to drug test and he fought Clottey, which is really the only legit welter win on his record if we play the weight game that cats play with Floyd.....

Mayweather fought Shane.

Now I say to you isn't time to hold these guys to the same standards.
P.S. add Pavlik to my previous list of bullshit fighters.

That's all I've been asking for two years.

And they always said the Devil was smart.

He does but he intentionally puts on blinders to hold on to points that can't stand up on their own.

Roach said, more than once, he thought the two pounds would negatively affect Cotto and he thought he was still damaged from the Margarito fight.

I've never considered him an elite fighter and he's done nothing to show me otherwise. Manny Pacquiao, on the other hand, has.