Old Apollo Theater manager graded acts from the 40s to 70s on index cards - this is what showBUSINESS looks like!!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ruth-mcfadden-rover-rover-1968.jpg

Ruth McFadden is a 50’s – early 60’s R&B singer who recorded as a solo artist and also with a group called ‘The Supremes’. Ruth was born in Charleston, South Carolina. S he moved to Harlem in 1951. In 1955 she won an Amateur Hour competition at the Apollo Theater and, consequently, was signed to a contract with the Old Town label.

She also sang as Ruth McFadden and The Royaltones (not the Detroit Royaltones) and as Ruth McFadden and The Moonglows.
She also often worked with Gamble & Huff

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
theorlons-1_v1000.jpg

The Orlons are an American R&B group from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that formed in 1960. The group won gold discs for three of their singles.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
sonny-parker-musician-4e99966b-0587-4253-a399-34902023423-resize-750.jpeg

Sonny Parker (May 5, 1925, Youngstown, Ohio -- February 7, 1957, New York City) was an American blues and jazz singer, dancer, and drummer. Parker was raised in Chicago by a vaudeville duo known as Butterbeans & Susie. He led a band at the Cotton Club in Cincinnati in 1948 which included King Kolax as one of his sidemen, and recorded with Kolax in Los Angeles later that year. He also was a sideman with Floyd Dixon's band. He became a member of Lionel Hampton's ensemble in 1949, where he remained for the rest of his career. His time with Hampton included appearances in the film Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra (1949) and on Hampton's recordings from this time. He toured Europe with Hampton several times between 1953 and 1955. In May 1955, during a concert at Valenciennes, France, Parker had a brain hemorrhage, from which he did not recover. He died of a stroke in 1957.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A-1008367-1481359818-6948.jpeg.jpg

Reuben Phillips (died February 13, 1974 in San Juan, Puerto Rico[1]) was an American jazz saxophonist, arranger and bandleader, born in Providence, Kentucky.

After five years as an alto saxophonist with Andy Kirk and his Clouds of Joy,[2] he played with Willis Jackson (1950) then Josephine Baker and Louis Jordan (1951). From 1952, Phillips has been a freelance arranger, musician and band leader in the New York area. He made arrangements for Dinah Washington, Lavern Baker, Ruth Brown, Billy Ward, Earl Bostic, Arnett Cobb among others.

He also played and recorded with Gene Redd, Sammy Lowe, George Rhodes, Dud Bascomb, and later recorded with Willis Jackson (1970) and Erskine Hawkins (1971).

He recorded two albums with his own big band, the house band at the Apollo Theatre on 125th Street in Harlem in the 1960s and 70s.

image.png

image.png

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
maths-comment-jpeg-20150827171333.jpeg~q75,dx720y-u0r1g0,c--.jpg

its like looking at every entertainers report card..

IKE TURNER - D-
IKE IS TALKATIVE AND DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.

I HOPE someone is doing this with today's entertainers...I'd LOVE to see what they're impressions look like.

and this is straight BUSINESS...like what is this person/group's VALUE TO THIS VENUE PERIOD. Are they WORTH what we're paying them based on what they bring in at the box office THAT DAY.
Yep very eye opening about biz practices and product worth

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are the dollar amounts what the entertainers were paid?
Each card listed the opening night of the booking (most bookings were for one week), the amount each was paid, and—most interesting of all—Schiffman’s pithy comments on the act’s drawing power, polish, affordability, freshness or staleness, reception, attitude, and cooperativeness with management. All the comments were typewritten, making the cards completely legible and easy to read.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
Yes, but keep in mind that money has to pay the feature artist, the band, the crew, traveling and accommodation expenses. Not to mention miscellaneous costs like guitar strings, drum skins, rehearsal space, dry cleaning uniforms, etc.
Don't forget the talent agent and manager.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
55450.jpg

Rose Murphy (born May 7, 1913 in Xenia, Ohio, USA--died November 16, 1989 in New York City, USA.) was a pianist and vocalist most famous for the song 'Busy Line'. Described by Allmusic's Scott Yanow as having "a unique place in music history", Rose was known as "the chee chee girl" thanks to her habit of regularly singing the phrase "chee chee" in many of her numbers. She began her musical career in the late 1930's, playing intermission piano for such performers as Count Basie, and achieved strong popularity in both the US and UK in the late 1940's. Despite being a very talented pianist, she is best known for her high pitched singing style, which incorporated a range of jazz style ad lib scat, giggling, and percussive sound effects. Busy Line', one of her most well known songs, made use of perhaps her most famous vocal sound effect: the 'brrp, brrrp' of a telephone ring. A version of the song was later used in 1990 by BT (British Telecom) in one of their television adverts. The advert was such a success that RCA reissued Rose's original recording of the song. From the fifties to the 80s, Rose continued to play at "many of the top clubs of New York, like the Cookery, Michael's Pub, Upstairs At the Downstairs, and was "usually accompanied by bassist Slam Stewart or Morris Edwards." These were interspersed with engagements in London and tours of the Continent. It was during a two week engagement at Hollywood Roosevelts Cinegrill in June 1989 that she became ill and returned to New York City. She was 78 when she died, and, though married 4 times, left no direct descendants.
image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

James Nelson[2] (April 7, 1919 – July 29, 2007[3]), known as Jimmy "T99" Nelson, was an American jump blues and rhythm and blues shouter and songwriter.[1] With a recording career that spanned over 50 years, Jimmy "T99" Nelson became a distinguished elder statesman of American music. His best known recordings are "T-99 Blues" and "Meet Me With Your Black Dress On". Nelson notably worked with Duke Robillard and Otis Grand.[3]

image.png

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Each card listed the opening night of the booking (most bookings were for one week), the amount each was paid, and—most interesting of all—Schiffman’s pithy comments on the act’s drawing power, polish, affordability, freshness or staleness, reception, attitude, and cooperativeness with management. All the comments were typewritten, making the cards completely legible and easy to read.
Fascinating posting. I love this stuff since I saw many of these acts when they came to the Royal in Baltimore. The bottom line was the bottom line for the Jews that owned the venue. Just wondering about the comments for acts like the Motown Revue, James Brown, the Charts
the Coasters, the Chantel’s and Shirelles. I recall that they were all premium acts in the day.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Alvin "Shine" Robinson (December 22, 1937 – January 24, 1989), sometimes credited as Al Robinson, was an American rhythm and blues singer, guitarist, and songwriter, based in New Orleans. His recording of "Something You Got" reached the Billboard Hot 100 in 1964.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
johnny_robinson.jpg

Johnny Robinson
According to the liner notes to his only album Johnny Robinson was born in Tuskagee, AL in 1939 but he didn't record in the south until his only LP. He started his recording career as "Johnny R" cutting the excellent deep ballad It's All Over for Strike around 1966/7. I'm pretty sure this was recorded in New York listening to it - check out that big horn section for example, the drummer and twin piano/organ keyboards, they all scream Big Apple to me. Also Johnny is described as "living in Brooklyn" on the LP sleeve. In any event Johnny sets out his stall on this side as a prime balladeer with a superb performance.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ToddRhodes.jpg

Todd Washington Rhodes (August 31, 1899[1] or 1900 – June 4, 1965)[2] was an American pianist, bandleader and arranger who was an early influence in jazz and later in R&B.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hazel_Scott_Show_ad_Musical_America_1950_p_176.jpg

Hazel Scott (June 11, 1920 – October 2, 1981) was a Trinidadian-born jazz and classical pianist, singer, and actor. She was a critically acclaimed performing artist and an outspoken critic of racial discrimination and segregation. She used her influence to improve the representation of Black Americans in film.

image.png

image-2-771x592.jpg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
51h4xPtO77L.jpg

Dee Dee Sharp hit the biggest with her first record for the Cameo/Parkway label, a blessing that pigeonholed the Philly songstress as a teenybopper forever to be identified with her number one smash from 1962, "Mashed Potatoes Time." Living in Philadelphia, the home of Dick Clark's American Bandstand helped her career; she appeared on the syndicated teen dance show many times from 1962 to 1981. The first black female teen idol, Sharp also became a fixture on Clark's Caravan of Stars tours, and a familiar face in the popular 16 Magazine.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R-3792256-1352241193-4038.jpeg.jpg

Horace Ward Martin Tavares Silver[note 1] (September 2, 1928 – June 18, 2014) was an American jazz pianist, composer, and arranger, particularly in the hard bop style that he helped pioneer in the 1950s.

After playing tenor saxophone and piano at school in Connecticut, Silver got his break on piano when his trio was recruited by Stan Getz in 1950. Silver soon moved to New York City, where he developed a reputation as a composer and for his bluesy playing. Frequent sideman recordings in the mid-1950s helped further, but it was his work with the Jazz Messengers, co-led by Art Blakey, that brought both his writing and playing most attention. Their Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers album contained Silver's first hit, "The Preacher". After leaving Blakey in 1956, Silver formed his own quintet, with what became the standard small group line-up of tenor saxophone, trumpet, piano, bass, and drums. Their public performances and frequent recordings for Blue Note Records increased Silver's popularity, even through changes of personnel. His most successful album was Song for My Father, made with two iterations of the quintet in 1963 and 1964.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fascinating posting. I love this stuff since I saw many of these acts when they came to the Royal in Baltimore. The bottom line was the bottom line for the Jews that owned the venue. Just wondering about the comments for acts like the Motown Revue, James Brown, the Charts
the Coasters, the Chantel’s and Shirelles. I recall that they were all premium acts in the day.
there's like 1200 entries and the site its on isn't listed by date or act...if I run across it I'll post tho. :thumbsup:

but here's the site...if you can find it post the link and I'll put it in the format

Last edited:

GentlemanJack

Rising Star
OG Investor
Outstanding thread. Sat with my girl drinking and smoking a stick reading the reviews and listening to the YouTube performances. 5 stars my brother.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
8436559466622.jpg

Huey Pierce Smith,[1] known as Huey "Piano" Smith (born January 26, 1934, New Orleans, Louisiana[2]), is an American rhythm-and-blues pianist whose sound was influential in the development of rock and roll.

His piano playing incorporated the boogie styles of Pete Johnson, Meade Lux Lewis, and Albert Ammons, the jazz style of Jelly Roll Morton and the rhythm-and-blues style of Fats Domino.[2] Steve Huey of AllMusic noted that "At the peak of his game, Smith epitomized New Orleans R&B at its most infectious and rollicking, as showcased on his classic signature tune, 'Don't You Just Know It.'"
[3]

image.png