Old Apollo Theater manager graded acts from the 40s to 70s on index cards - this is what showBUSINESS looks like!!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
6a00e553a80e108834013486228545970c-800wi_0.jpg

For anyone seeking to research how the Apollo Theater worked, the economics of the black entertainment industry, and the ups and downs of stars’ drawing power, there is only one place to go: the Archives Center of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. That’s where the Frank Schiffman Apollo Theatre Collection trove of sixteen boxes of rare and fascinating material—is preserved.

The Schiffman family ran the Apollo from 1934 to 1976. In 1946, Frank Schiffman began keeping a 5”x8” card on each and every act he hired—from singers such as Ella Fitzgerald and Chuck Berry to dancers such as Honi Coles, and comedians like Redd Foxx. There are over twelve hundred such cards.

Each card listed the opening night of the booking (most bookings were for one week), the amount each was paid, and—most interesting of all—Schiffman’s pithy comments on the act’s drawing power, polish, affordability, freshness or staleness, reception, attitude, and cooperativeness with management. All the comments were typewritten, making the cards completely legible and easy to read.

critiques25.jpg

ElHrh_4XYAIiNhv.jpg

apollo-slide-K8SU-articleLarge.jpg

51ZUvpF4eaL.jpg

I'm sorry but I always saw her as the Walmart version of Ella Fitzgerald:blush:

6a00e553a80e108834013486228600970c-800wi_0.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Johnny-Ace-Thornton-Tampaby-Times-w-865x1024.jpg

ElG2i4HWMAAKj-F.jpg

getz001.jpg

ElCCuEBVgAAwdH2.jpg

Machito (born Francisco Raúl Gutiérrez Grillo, December 3, 1909 – April 15, 1984) was a Latin jazz musician who helped refine Afro-Cuban jazz and create both Cubop and salsa music.[1][2] He was raised in Havana with the singer Graciela, his foster sister.

In New York City, Machito formed the band the Afro-Cubans in 1940, and with Mario Bauzá as musical director, brought together Cuban rhythms and big band arrangements in one group. He made numerous recordings from the 1940s to the 1980s, many with Graciela as singer. Machito changed to a smaller ensemble format in 1975, touring Europe extensively. He brought his son and daughter into the band, and received a Grammy Award in 1983, one year before he died.

Machito's music had an effect on the lives of many musicians who played in the Afro-Cubans over the years, and on those who were attracted to Latin jazz after hearing him. George Shearing, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Stan Kenton credited Machito as an influence. An intersection in East Harlem is named "Machito Square" in his honor.

ElG2w-3XEAAzgBE.jpg

ab67616d0000b27357f70023834fb6b9c0c3a999

critiques24.jpg

HERES' THE LINK....POST OTHERS AS YOU FIND THEM PLEASE!!

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R-1191131-1292321062.jpeg.jpg

Faye Adams (born Fanny Tuell, May 22, 1923) is an American singer who recorded rhythm and blues in the 1950s before retiring from the music business. She's 97 still kickin'!!!

critiques36.jpg

Ink_Spots_Billboard_3.jpg

critiques20.jpg

In 1989, the Ink Spots (Bill Kenny, Charlie Fuqua, Deek Watson, Jerry Daniels and Orville Jones) were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame[1], and in 1999 they were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. Since the Ink Spots disbanded, in 1954, there have been well over a hundred vocal groups calling themselves "The Ink Spots" without any right to the name, and without any original members of the group. It has often been the case that these groups claimed to be "2nd generation" or "3rd generation" Ink Spots.[2][3]

choc20.jpg

critiques01.jpg

Last edited:

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Walked by that place 100k times and never went in. Saw Biz Markie outside once. The lines to get in use to be wrapped around the block.

Kwame Coltrane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
R-5028136-1422657087-4583.jpeg.jpg

Lucius Venable "Lucky" Millinder (August 8, 1910[1][2] – September 28, 1966)[3] was an American rhythm-and-blues and swing bandleader. Although he could not read or write music, did not play an instrument and rarely sang, his showmanship and musical taste made his bands successful. His group was said to have been the greatest big band to play rhythm and blues,[4] and gave work to a number of musicians who later became influential at the dawn of the rock and roll era. He was inducted into the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame in 1986.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mickey_and_Sylvia_1956.jpg

Mickey & Sylvia was an American R&B duo composed of Mickey Baker and Sylvia Vanterpool, who later became Sylvia Robinson. They are best known for their number-one R&B single "Love Is Strange" in 1957. Baker and Vanterpool began recording together in 1954.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hqdefault.jpg

Joseph Lee Morris (March 2, 1922 – November 7, 1958)[1][2] was an American jazz and rhythm and blues trumpeter.

Born in Montgomery, Alabama, Morris began his career as a jazz trumpeter, working and recording with Earl Bostic, Milt Buckner, Arnett Cobb, Dizzy Gillespie, Johnny Griffin, Buddy Rich, Dinah Washington, Big Joe Turner, and Lionel Hampton.

In 1953, Tate left for a solo career, and Morris replaced her with his new discovery, Faye Adams. He moved to Herald Records, where he backed Adams on her number-one R&B hit, his own composition "Shake a Hand", and its follow-up, "I'll Be True", also an R&B number-one hit. At the same time, he had his own hit with "I Had a Notion", featuring vocals by Al Savage.

image.png

Knuckles666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mickey_and_Sylvia_1956.jpg

Mickey & Sylvia was an American R&B duo composed of Mickey Baker and Sylvia Vanterpool, who later became Sylvia Robinson. They are best known for their number-one R&B single "Love Is Strange" in 1957. Baker and Vanterpool began recording together in 1954.

image.png

I could be wrong but this sound could have been Buddy Holly’s inspiration.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
0ckX1IOpecdE_rwa6WgjM76Q4bY.jpg

The Pearls were an R&B vocal group that formed at Tacoma's McCord Air Force Base in March, 1957. Artis Johnson Jr. -- an alumni of Oakland, CA's Midnights -- recruited three other singers (Elsie Hall, Lloyd Foster, & William Watson) & they competed in the military's annual Tops-N-Blue talent contest

image.png

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
hqdefault.jpg

Joseph Lee Morris (March 2, 1922 – November 7, 1958)[1][2] was an American jazz and rhythm and blues trumpeter.

Born in Montgomery, Alabama, Morris began his career as a jazz trumpeter, working and recording with Earl Bostic, Milt Buckner, Arnett Cobb, Dizzy Gillespie, Johnny Griffin, Buddy Rich, Dinah Washington, Big Joe Turner, and Lionel Hampton.

In 1953, Tate left for a solo career, and Morris replaced her with his new discovery, Faye Adams. He moved to Herald Records, where he backed Adams on her number-one R&B hit, his own composition "Shake a Hand", and its follow-up, "I'll Be True", also an R&B number-one hit. At the same time, he had his own hit with "I Had a Notion", featuring vocals by Al Savage.

image.png

Laurie Tate had a wondrous voice. Dig this:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
maths-comment-jpeg-20150827171333.jpeg~q75,dx720y-u0r1g0,c--.jpg

its like looking at every entertainers report card..

IKE TURNER - D-
IKE IS TALKATIVE AND DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.

I HOPE someone is doing this with today's entertainers...I'd LOVE to see what they're impressions look like.

and this is straight BUSINESS...like what is this person/group's VALUE TO THIS VENUE PERIOD. Are they WORTH what we're paying them based on what they bring in at the box office THAT DAY.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Carmen Mercedes McRae (April 8, 1920 – November 10, 1994) was an American jazz singer. She is considered one of the most influential jazz vocalists of the 20th century and is remembered for her behind-the-beat phrasing and ironic interpretation of lyrics.

image.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mary_Ann_McCall@2x.jpg

Mary Ann McCall (May 4, 1919 in Philadelphia – December 14, 1994 in Los Angeles, California) was a pop and jazz singer. Aside from solo work, she sang for Charlie Barnet, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw and Woody Herman. She was briefly married to Al Cohn.

image.png

RSF75109_953fa2db-9d9f-4db7-9a9a-da59fe8a8027.jpeg

RSF75107.jpg

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
maths-comment-jpeg-20150827171333.jpeg~q75,dx720y-u0r1g0,c--.jpg

its like looking at every entertainers report card..

IKE TURNER - D-
IKE IS TALKATIVE AND DOESN'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.

I HOPE someone is doing this with today's entertainers...I'd LOVE to see what they're impressions look like.

and this is straight BUSINESS...like what is this person/group's VALUE TO THIS VENUE PERIOD. Are they WORTH what we're paying them based on what they bring in at the box office THAT DAY.

Live Nation changed the game for good.

Cuz the venue doesn't play ball with them they don't get the acts, period!

If the artist doesn't play ball with them they don't get the shows, period!

Managing a venue today is like a 5-year-old at dinner time. You will eat what you are given and you will like it!

However, I suspect that the pandemic might be changing that. A lot of LN venues have been shuttered in favor of smaller outdoor spaces.