Official STAR WARS:THE FORCE AWAKENS discussion thread

synyster

Homegrown Sensei
BGOL Investor
1) Easily Better than the prequels. I rank it 3rd...after Empire and A New Hope
2) I enjoyed the movie, but it did feel like a rehash/updated version of Episode 4
3) Question...how did they find Luke/Anakins lightsaber....did they do a clean sweep of Cloud City?
4) I was certain Rey and Kylo were Solo's children....well I was half right, I'm thinking Rey maybe a Skywalker as well
5) Lightsaber battle wasn't as crazy as the prequels(aka extremely well choreographed), but then again I wasn't expecting any crazy stunts since the Jedi are extinct
6) Wished they would have given us a little more background on Phasma and Supreme Leader Snoke
7) Kylo Ren had some bad ass scenes...especially in the beginning.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Really solid.
The sequel you wanted from the originals.
I think fin was great. He really turned into a hero.
He did get friend zoned when she kissed him on the forehead near the end when he was layed out.
Not sure how I feel about snoke being a cg character. But he really hasn't been revealed beyond his projection so who knows

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
what trailers did everyone get before their showing..? only ones i saw were Captain America:Civil War, ID4: Resurgence,Star Trek Beyond(to which i heard someone way in the back say "Man that look like some BULLshit!!" afterward :lol: ) and BvS Dawn of Justice

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2) I enjoyed the movie, but it did feel like a rehash/updated version of Episode 4
3) Question...how did they find Luke/Anakins lightsaber....did they do a clean sweep of Cloud City?
4) I was certain Rey and Kylo were Solo's children....well I was half right, I'm thinking Rey maybe a Skywalker as well
5) Lightsaber battle wasn't as crazy as the prequels(aka extremely well choreographed), but then again I wasn't expecting any crazy stunts since the Jedi are extinct
6) Wished they would have given us a little more background on Phasma and Supreme Leader Snoke

Ren did start out like a beast. When he stopped the blaster fire like that, I thought we had a whole new animal there. Then they did the whole anakin/confused teenager thing. I guess it was to show his potential, and then have him return to train more with snoke. They also had to have him answer to a guy who was not a force user and who seemed to give him orders, just like Tarkin and Vader.

I liked how they found Luke's light saber. They probably had people searching all of the tubes at the bottom of cloud city after he got picked up by leia and lando. Kind of hokey how she happened to find her (potential) father's lightsaber the same way that luke did with obi wan. Speaking of which, i have to watch it again, b/c I felt like I heard obi wan's voice in her force dream. Maybe Obi wan's ghost knocked up some chick and this girl is another immaculate conception child of the force?

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ren did start out like a beast. When he stopped the blaster fire like that, I thought we had a whole new animal there. Then they did the whole anakin/confused teenager thing. I guess it was to show his potential, and then have him return to train more with snoke. They also had to have him answer to a guy who was not a force user and who seemed to give him orders, just like Tarkin and Vader.

I liked how they found Luke's light saber. They probably had people searching all of the tubes at the bottom of cloud city after he got picked up by leia and lando. Kind of hokey how she happened to find her (potential) father's lightsaber the same way that luke did with obi wan. Speaking of which, i have to watch it again, b/c I felt like I heard obi wan's voice in her force dream. Maybe Obi wan's ghost knocked up some chick and this girl is another immaculate conception child of the force?
I thought I heard obi wan too

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
the brother isnt the jedi eh? looks like i can wait...
Just saw the movie...

What I am about to say is kinda Spoilerish:
(You been warned)

Nah the brother Finn isn't a real Jedi. (Not yet, at least)

But the chic (Rei) is a Jedi... and most likely Skywalker's daughter. (Which is easy to figure out if you see the movie)

HOWEVER..... Right now, Finn is more like a new 'Han Solo' character, in my opinion.... i.e. He's not the 'main hero'... But he is a 'free-agent' who is vitally important to all the storylines... and the 'Good Guys' just simply cannot win without him 'stepping up' at the right times. :yes:

Because just like Han started off in the first Star Wars film... initially Finn's primary allegiance was to himself, and his goal was self-preservation. First & foremost. Not to fight for the Rebels, or the Dark Side. (Until he found something truly worth fighting for, just like Han Solo did)

I predict Finn will probably get his very own sidekick in the next Star Wars movie. (like a Chewbacca, or some other 'burly alien' that only he can understand, or relate to).

It's only right.

Last edited:

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Was thinking the very same thing about the parts in Red. :yes:

Overall, the movie was pretty cool.. but it TOTALLY felt like a 'modern version' of the original Star Wars Movie with the main characters 'switched around'.

In my opinion, the biggest 'screenplay misstep' was that they needed to give the audience some more 'background info' on certain characters like Snoke, Rey, Phasma and the First Order's rise to power... plus the extinction of all the Jedi's.

i.e. This nearly 2.5 hour movie needed a scene (or two) with an 'elder' Rebel Leader (or 'yoda-like' character) that could have summed it all up in like 5-10 minutes tops (to get everyone on the same page) somewhere near the beginning.... or just before the final battle/s kicked off. :dunno:

Or better yet.... let Lupita's character (Maz Kanata) tell us the history & give us the missing background info... (apparently she was alive for over 1,000+ years) so she would have been PERFECT to do it during the scenes in her saloon, which ALSO would have been the 'appropriate time' in the movie to do so (as far as 'pacing' goes), imo. :yes:

67p45e.jpg

Aside from that, the movie felt real 'nostalgic'. :yes:

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just peeped. Won't do much of a review other than to say this was definitely a true STAR WARs movie for Star Wars fans.

As far as the whole Fin not being a Jedi, I think it's too early to tell. Something allowed him to shake off the "Storm trooper programming". I think he may be like Leia a person who was Force Sensitive. Someone who could access the force but probably couldn't become a full fledged Jedi without training from a young age.

Rei is somewhere between Anakin and Luke. I felt like they hinted at her having been trained at some point early on but then she was disconnected from her training and her skills went dormant.

Chewy got some nice moments in the film although he did seem to recover from losing his life partner pretty quickly lol.

Rei being Luke's daughter is too obvious so I don't believe JJ will go that route. The look Luke had was one of surprise not recognition IMO. He recognized as the significance of the light saber tho. Time to suit up Ninja!

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just peeped. Won't do much of a review other than to say this was definitely a true STAR WARs movie for Star Wars fans.

As far as the whole Fin not being a Jedi, I think it's too early to tell. Something allowed him to shake off the "Storm trooper programming". I think he may be like Leia a person who was Force Sensitive. Someone who could access the force but probably couldn't become a full fledged Jedi without training from a young age.

Rei is somewhere between Anakin and Luke. I felt like they hinted at her having been trained at some point early on but then she was disconnected from her training and her skills went dormant.

Chewy got some nice moments in the film although he did seem to recover from losing his life partner pretty quickly lol.

Rei being Luke's daughter is too obvious so I don't believe JJ will go that route. The look Luke had was one of surprise not recognition IMO. He recognized as the significance of the light saber tho. Time to suit up Ninja!
Well put. :yes:

Personally tho, I thought the look Skywalker gave Rei kinda said.... "I always knew someone would find me.... But whoever it was would've come a very long way... across the universe.... and had to be able to figure out all my clues... plus SURVIVE the forces of the Dark Side.... AND ONLY A TRUE JEDI KNIGHT could ever do some shit like that... So Welcome, young Padawan.... Now your REAL training begins." :cool:

Just my opinion. :D

JustChillin

Electric Relaxation
BGOL Investor
If you haven't seen the movie yet, leave this thread:

Finn is force sensitive we'll see how it plays out.

Ray is a Skywalker. She is too strong not to be.

Kylo Ren needed to fully embrace the dark side to complete his training with Snoke. He'll be stronger next time.

Great fun movie. Throughly enjoyed it

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
A waste of Kasdan.

Star Wars VII: The Rehash - How To Use Concepts From The Legacy Of The Force Expanded Universe Novels While Emphatically Stating They Aren't Going To Use Concepts From the Expanded Universe Novels.

Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus/Ben (Kylo Ren), instead of killing Mara Jade Skywalker, his aunt, kills Han Solo, his father in this movie. People don't read and people conveniently ignore patterns. Instead of having a given name like Jacen in the novel, he's instead named Ben, who was Luke's & Mara's son.

This is Jacen. I mean Kylo. I mean Jacen from the novels.
220px-DarthCaedus.jpg

The rest is a little known Greek tragedy.

Sad. A waste of Kasdan.

You know what? This is a great idea for a website. All the hate will bring a lot of traffic. I just have to figure out a monetization strategy.

I'll give it a 3.5. I'll rank it just third in the whole series because I've always felt Lucas was a one trick pony directory who got saved by his editors in the first movie.

-----

Maybe Obi wan's ghost knocked up some chick and this girl is another immaculate conception child of the force?

That's not what you think it means. Immaculate conception ≠ Virgin birth. It means one born without original sin in the case of Mary, Christ's mother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception
The Immaculate Conception is commonly and mistakenly taken to mean the conception of Mary's son Jesus Christ in her own womb, and the virgin birth of Jesus. These are covered by the doctrine of the Incarnation, while the Immaculate Conception deals with the conception of Mary herself, not that of her son.

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
A waste of Kasdan.

Star Wars VII: The Rehash - How To Use Concepts From The Legacy Of The Force Expanded Universe Novels While Emphatically Stating They Aren't Going To Use Concepts From the Expanded Universe Novels.

Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus/Ben (Kylo Ren), instead of killing Mara Jade Skywalker, his aunt, kills Han Solo, his father in this movie. People don't read and people conveniently ignore patterns. Instead of having a given name like Jacen in the novel, he's instead named Ben, who was Luke's & Mara's son.

This is Jacen. I mean Kylo. I mean Jacen from the novels.
220px-DarthCaedus.jpg

The rest is a little known Greek tragedy.

Sad. A waste of Kasdan.

You know what? This is a great idea for a website. All the hate will bring a lot of traffic. I just have to figure out a monetization strategy.

I'll give it a 3.5. I'll rank it just third in the whole series because I've always felt Lucas was a one trick pony directory who got saved by his editors in the first movie.

-----

That's not what you think it means. Immaculate conception ≠ Virgin birth. It means one born without original sin in the case of Mary, Christ's mother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception
The Immaculate Conception is commonly and mistakenly taken to mean the conception of Mary's son Jesus Christ in her own womb, and the virgin birth of Jesus. These are covered by the doctrine of the Incarnation, while the Immaculate Conception deals with the conception of Mary herself, not that of her son.
None of those novel stories are canon anymore though so they have all these plots to work with and twist. It'll make things interesting.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
None of those novel stories are canon anymore though so they have all these plots to work with and twist. It'll make things interesting.

Thanks Captain Obvious. I've never said they were. I just demonstrated how hypocritical they (Kathleen Kennedy & Abbrams) were in dismissing them but used plot devices from them anyway. The location of the wounds Kylo suffered in the film by Chewbacca and Rey are almost verbatim to the ones in the novel at the climatic battle between Darth Caedus (Jacen/Kylo) and Jaina Solo Fel (Rey).

This is a fan fiction video of the fight between Caedus and Jaina from the novel. Instead of being wounded in the side from a shot from Chewbacca unawares, he's caught unawares with a lightsaber in his side by his sister Jaina. Both (Jacen/Kylo) suffer wounds due to a swipe at their legs in the novel and film. The difference between this film and the novel is Jaina ends it in the book, while in the film, the ground conveniently opens up, separating them so Rey is not able to deliver a killing blow. He (Kylo) even gets a scar on the face just like in the novel.

I'm saying it now. They're going to bring Palpatine back as a younger, cloned version. I guess that's the Awakening. I guess Finn will get the job of shooting him in back since Han is now dead.

-----

P.S. I wonder if Rey is going to hook up with General Hux since he's based on Jaina's husband, Jagged Fel, former leader of the Imperial Remnant. :lol:

Last edited:

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Ain't paying for this shit, but did Poe really name Finn like a dog? Was he really a janitor? Was he really a coward who always needed saving when in fights? Man, the more I hear about this :smh:..Black male emasculation 101...

Last edited:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Thanks Captain Obvious. I've never said they were. I just demonstrated how hypocritical they (Kathleen Kennedy & Abbrams) were in dismissing them but used plot devices from them anyway. The location of the wounds Kylo suffered in the film by Chewbacca and Rey are almost verbatim to the ones in the novel at the climatic battle between Darth Caedus (Jacen/Kylo) and Jaina Solo Fel (Rey).

This is a fan fiction video of the fight between Caedus and Jaina from the novel. Instead of being wounded in the side from a shot from Chewbacca unawares, he's caught unawares with a lightsaber in his side by his sister Jaina. Both (Jacen/Kylo) suffer wounds due to a swipe at their legs in the novel and film. The difference between this film and the novel is Jaina ends it in the book, while in the film, the ground conveniently opens up, separating them so Rey is not able to deliver a killing blow. He (Kylo) even gets a scar on the face just like in the novel.

I'm saying it now. They're going to bring Palpatine back as a younger, cloned version. I guess that's the Awakening. I guess Finn will get the job of shooting him in back since Han is now dead.

-----

P.S. I wonder if Rey is going to hook up with General Hux since he's based on Jaina's husband, Jagged Fel, former leader of the Imperial Remnant. :lol:

Hey not everyone knows bout the novels or what is canon and what isn't anymore. I didn't want to make any assumptions on your knowledge of Star Wars material

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ain't paying for this shit, but did Poe really name Finn like a dog? Was he really a janitor? Was he really a coward who always needed saving when in fights? Man, the more I hear about this :smh:..Black male emasculation 101...

I don't know what you mean by name him like a dog. He didn't have a name, just an alpha numeric Designation and Poe took the letters in that alpha numeric and came up with Finn.

I don't know if the Janitor thing was an inside joke or not. He was with all the other storm troopers when they went to shoot up shit on the planet. He certainly knew a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of bad guys stuff and used that knowledge to help the other good guys.

He tried to be "the hero" on a couple of occasions, the writers clearly used those moments to highlight the the female lead didn't need saving. So I think it was less male emasculation and more "vagina power" He definitely didn't act cowardly. They used to humour a few times to show that he was "scared" in certain situations, but he put in work with the Blaster and the ship guns.

What they did was basically take the characteristics of Luke and Han from the IV-VI and split their traits over 3 characters

Poe - Ace pilot and committed to resistance (Luke for his piloting skills, Han for his looks I guees)
Rei - Gifted but Untrained savant type also good with hand to hand combat (Luke, with a bit of Han and Annakin too cause she's good with fixing shit too )
Finn - Natural shot with gun, trained foot soldier, reluctant hero, latent force sensitivity (Han with a lil bit of Luke )

unknownsoldier

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Saw it tonight in 3D. I liked it, but it really wasn't what I expected. Better than the Prequels but a close 3rd with Return of the Jedi (behind Episode V & IV respectfully).

Where I'm at with it...

I liked it but some parts were predictable. Only thing I'm not feeling is how Kylo Ren was losing to shawty in a lightsaber duel. I get that she's strong in the force but he's been trained. No reason why he should've been struggling like that even while injured.

as been said, I think she's Luke's daughter.

snark9

Cantankerous Bastid
BGOL Investor
I don't know what you mean by name him like a dog. He didn't have a name, just an alpha numeric Designation and Poe took the letters in that alpha numeric and came up with Finn.

I don't know if the Janitor thing was an inside joke or not. He was with all the other storm troopers when they went to shoot up shit on the planet. He certainly knew a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of bad guys stuff and used that knowledge to help the other good guys.

He tried to be "the hero" on a couple of occasions, the writers clearly used those moments to highlight the the female lead didn't need saving. So I think it was less male emasculation and more "vagina power" He definitely didn't act cowardly. They used to humour a few times to show that he was "scared" in certain situations, but he put in work with the Blaster and the ship guns.

What they did was basically take the characteristics of Luke and Han from the IV-VI and split their traits over 3 characters

Poe - Ace pilot and committed to resistance (Luke for his piloting skills, Han for his looks I guees)
Rei - Gifted but Untrained savant type also good with hand to hand combat (Luke, with a bit of Han and Annakin too cause she's good with fixing shit too )
Finn - Natural shot with gun, trained foot soldier, reluctant hero, latent force sensitivity (Han with a lil bit of Luke )

what?

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I'm speculating that he has some untapped potential or sensitivity to the force based on the following
a) They call out that the Strom trooper programming clearly didn't stick with him
b) He seems to have a degree of natural ability and talent for shooting and ability to use the light saber to fight (a bit)
c) Wishful thinking on my part.

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Nah, this movie wasn't a black male emasculation session. :smh: Not at all.

Finn had jokes. Was good with a blaster.
Was good with a ship canon.

Sure, he tried to flee a few times and 'save his own ass' first...

But he 'manned-up' by the end - Big time. :yes:

He's the new Han Solo. :yes:

MonkeyBizness

Man of the People
Registered
Thoroughly enjoyed it. But then again, I enjoyed New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and this is just a rehash of those two films. No complaints. This is par for the course with JJ Abrahams.

I may actually go see it again.

synyster

Homegrown Sensei
BGOL Investor
Like my man said above, I was hoping to hear more of the history of what happened between Return of the Jedi and this movie...or at least explain the First Orders rise to power. What has happened in those 30 years?
I was also kind of disappointed that Leia didn't really become a bad ass Jedi(or maybe Luke did train her and we have yet to see her powers)
I was 100% sure Finn was going to be related to Lando somehow...oh well.
I was just waiting for Ackbar to scream "it's a trap" again
I hope Episode 8 go's into a new bold direction and not play it "safe" like JJ did with this movie. Lucas did say this movie was for the "fans" and now I know what he meant. No more rehashes.
When Kylo stopped that laser blast in mid air tho:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I give the movie a solid 8. It hits a lot of the things we saw as a kid, eliminates the secrecy of the first 3 and dives right into the relationships between characters. It does falter a bit with "ease of use" Rey has with the force which is easily explained because she's Luke's daughter ( he hid her on a desert planet the same way he was hidden tattooine).

They packed a lot in the almost 2 hour run time. Kylo Ren comes off like a gay psychopath. They closed the loop with Han, which I thought was good. Lets be honest, most of us are adults so the magic we remeber as kids won't be there. Solid 8, but not a 10.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Like my man said above, I was hoping to hear more of the history of what happened between Return of the Jedi and this movie...or at least explain the First Orders rise to power. What has happened in those 30 years?
I was also kind of disappointed that Leia didn't really become a bad ass Jedi(or maybe Luke did train her and we have yet to see her powers)
I was 100% sure Finn was going to be related to Lando somehow...oh well.
I was just waiting for Ackbar to scream "it's a trap" again
I hope Episode 8 go's into a new bold direction and not play it "safe" like JJ did with this movie. Lucas did say this movie was for the "fans" and now I know what he meant. No more rehashes.
When Kylo stopped that laser blast in mid air tho:eek2::eek2::eek2:

You could see Leia had the force in her because she felt it when Han was finished. The Lazer freeze? That was beyond dope.