Official Protest Thread...

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
It's amazing that they need a law in place. It seems like they do little things to make sure you know you aren't a true citizen.

This is just for IL. There have been several stories posted over the years here of black kids being singled out and sent home for their hair styles. The CROWN act was supposed to cover schools and workplaces, but not every state has passed it. It was introduced and passed in the House in 2020, but I don't think it was ever brought up in the Senate. Folks say voting doesn't matter tho.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Rhode Island state Representative Patricia Morgan has tweeted a lot about critical race theory, a frequent target of criticism from the Republican of West Warwick. But a post on Tuesday got a lot more attention than usual, much of it quite critical.
“I had a black friend,” Morgan tweeted. “I liked her and I think she liked me, too. But now she is hostile and unpleasant. I am sure I didn’t do anything to her, except be white. Is that what teachers and our political leaders really want for our society? Divide us because of our skin color? #CRT”

CRT stands for critical race theory. The post earned heaps of online scorn, with nearly three thousand people quote-tweeting replies within a few hours.

“My favorite part of this tweet is ‘a,’” one person wrote.

“why would you tweet this lmaoooo,” another tweeted.

“If you don’t believe in judging others by their skin color, then how come you assumed your former friend has a problem with you because you’re white?” asked writer Jelena Woehr. “If she was white would you think that?”

“I had a white friend,” wrote activist and actor George Takei, who played Hikaru Sulu on “Star Trek.” “I liked him and I think he liked me, too. But then Pearl Harbor happened and whites became hostile and unpleasant. I am sure we didn’t do anything but they sent us to camps anyway. And now they don’t want to teach about this because it make kids feel bad.”

Morgan, though, stood by what she posted. In an interview, she told the Globe that the negative reaction to her tweet was yet more proof of the insidious nature of critical race theory.

“Twitter is a cesspool anyway,” Morgan said.

Morgan introduced legislation last year banning the teaching of “divisive concepts” and making anyone “feel discomfort, guilty, anguish or any distress on account of their race or sex.” The bill did not get anywhere in the Democratic-dominated General Assembly.

She told the Globe she defines critical race theory as judging people not as individuals, but by immutable characteristics like race and ethnicity. “It is using the worst kinds of racial stereotypes on people in our society,” Morgan said.

But what Morgan is describing is racial prejudice, not critical race theory. Critical race theory is “an academic and legal framework that denotes that systemic racism is part of American society — from education and housing to employment and healthcare,” according to the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund. It is usually part of the curriculum in law schools.

Morgan also pushed back on reading into her tweet that she had few friends of color.

“I have more than one friend who is not white,” Morgan said.

She declined to identify the friend she’d tweeted about, but said she had noticed the friend becoming distant. That friend, she said, subscribes to what Morgan calls critical race theory. Morgan believes critical race theory itself, rather than Morgan’s opposition to it, turned the friend against her, “and perhaps other white people.” At a Christmas party, things became really noticeable, Morgan said.

“I just felt we weren’t friends anymore, because she doesn’t want to be friends anymore,” Morgan said in an interview. “I’m positive it’s because of my skin color. And that’s a shame.”

The Black Lives Matter RI PAC called for House Speaker K. Joseph Shekarchi, a Warwick Democrat, to immediately remove Morgan from House committees, saying, “Anything less than these substantive actions is another tacit acceptance of racism from the General Assembly that can no longer be tolerated.”

The group called Morgan’s tweet “offensive and deeply insulting to the Black and Brown community.”

“If Representative Patricia Morgan truly believed we shouldn’t be divided by our skin color, she wouldn’t have made this divisive of a comment, along with the many other similar comments she has made in the past,” BLM RI PAC executive director Harrison Tuttle said on behalf of the PAC. “Rhode Island should no longer tolerate ideologies, by any political party, that are hateful and divisive – in the media, in policy proposals, and in our everyday lives.”

Shekarchi issued a statement, saying, “There is no place for divisive remarks by any House member. I condemn any such comments.” He did not address the call to remove Morgan from House committees, but House rules require that all members are entitled to serve on a minimum of two committees.

Representative Anastasia P. Williams, a Providence Democrat who is a member of the Rhode Island Legislative Black and Latino Caucus, said she has no doubt Morgan caused whatever divisions now exist with Morgan’s former friend.

“Knowing Patricia personally and politically, her way is the only way, and that is probably why that Black friend is being hostile – because Patricia is forcing her opinion to be the right one,” Williams said. “She is entitled to her opinion and beliefs, but that doesn’t mean she needs to force it on someone who is forced to live it on a daily basis. She initiated that division. That began with her and ends with her.”

“The strength of our state is in our diversity,” tweeted Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea, who is running for governor. “@PatriciaMorgan is the former minority leader of the RI house and her comments are ignorant and embarrassing. Rhode Island deserves leaders who bring people together not recklessly divide us.”

In May, on the one-year anniversary of George Floyd’s death, the House passed a bill, sponsored by Williams, requiring that African-American history be taught in Rhode Island schools. But Morgan tried to amend the bill to require education about a wide variety of other “nationalities or ethnicities,” including Irish-Americans and English-Americans.

Williams said she tried to accommodate concerns raised about that bill. “But again,” she said, “it’s their beliefs versus our experience.”

Senator Tiara Mack, a Black Providence Democrat, said, “I don’t think Morgan is respected nor a thought leader. I think tweets like these are sensational for her base but not grounded in reality. I also wonder if her ‘Black Friend’ would consider her association with Morgan a friendship.”

Corey Jones, a policy adviser to Governor Dan McKee and candidate for City Council in Providence, called on Morgan to resign.

“This comment is divisive. Rep Morgan you need to resign and retire from public service,” he tweeted from his political account. “It has nothing to do with her being black or you being white.”

When asked about Morgan’s tweet, House Minority Leader Blake A. Filippi, a Block Island Republican, said, “I’m not going to dignify that absurd comment with a response.” Morgan is not part of the House Republican caucus.

Representative Barbara Ann Fenton-Fung, a Cranston Republican, tweeted her response to Morgan, saying, “In how many different languages can I call @repmorgan‘s tweet ridiculous & atrocious? Patty, want more friends? Stop looking at the color of their skin & instead look at the size of their heart.”

Fenton-Fung’s tweet included an quote from the late Nobel Peace Prize laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu saying: “Differences are not intended to separate, to alienate. We are different precisely in order to realize our need for one another.”

Representative Brandon Potter, a Cranston Democrat, told the Globe that Morgan’s tweet is “deeply offensive, woefully ignorant, and misinformed,” and serves as a reminder of what fuels right-wing sentiment. Potter, who is white, said Republicans fall into two categories: “We have those who really believe that (Morgan’s tweet) and the enablers in the party who know better and don’t speak out and condemn it, and purposefully stoke cultural controversy for political gain.”

On Twitter, he tried to urge Morgan to rethink her position. “Rep, I think you know I like you, and I think you like me. I remember when you presented your CRT bill, @JoshuaJGiraldo offered to sit w/ you & discuss why it was so offensive and misinformed. I hope you take him up on the offer. I refuse to believe you can’t be better than this.”

But Morgan stuck with her own definition of critical race theory, and deflected Potter’s comment.

“I like you, as well,” she replied. “I did speak with him. I disagree with judging others by their skin color and don’t want our children being compelled to judge society and themselves by race.”

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's a start.

Evers’ Office: Newest pardons mark new high for contemporary governors

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - Dozens more pardons granted by Gov. Tony Evers this week pushes him past any governor in recent history in terms of the number given in the first three years of an administration, his office declared.
The Evers Administration announced the 30 newest ones Tuesday morning. Including these recent ones, Evers has now granted 337 pardons, according to his office, which called it the most of any contemporary Wisconsin governor. The most recent of Evers’ predecessors with more pardons was Gov. Patrick Lucey, who absolved 457 people between 1971 and 1977, according to the governor’s office, which also pointed out that Evers is on track to surpass that number by the end of this term.
In a statement announcing this latest round, Evers said he was proud of his administration’s work to provide second chances to the pardoned individuals who have “made amends and paid their debts to society.”
“These individuals have recognized and acknowledged their past mistakes, and this sends a powerful message of redemption as each of them work to build a brighter, better future for themselves and their communities,” Evers said.

While the governor’s office did not identify whom Evers topped with his latest pardons, the hundreds allotted by the Democratic governor stand in contrast to his Republican predecessor, Scott Walker, who did not grant any during his eight years in office.
NBC15 News reached out to the Evers Administration for clarification on how it determined Evers had handed out more pardons than others and will update this story with any response.
These new pardons stem from a Nov. 12 meeting of the Governor’s Pardon Advisory Board, which selected from applicates and made recommendations to the governor. The full list of recipients is below, along with a description of the crimes as provided by the Evers Administration.
  • Serena Genisus was 19 years old when police officers found a controlled substance while searching her home. Now more than two decades later, she has is committed to her personal growth, has earned the support of the court, and has found her faith attending her local church in Florida.
  • Nicholas Smith was 18 years old when officers pulled him over and found marijuana in his vehicle. Since then, he has earned his associate and bachelor’s degrees in electrical engineering and remains dedicated to his career and his family in Missouri.
  • Jeffrey Collins was 21 years old when officers pulled him over and found marijuana in his vehicle nearly 40 years ago. He has worked hard to support his family as a project supervisor in Chetek.
  • Joseph Ross Jr. was struggling to support his family when he failed to disclose employment in an application for public assistance. Now, 46 years later, Mr. Ross is retired and lives in Mississippi.
  • Dwight Swacina sold marijuana to an undercover law enforcement officer. Almost 40 years later, he gives back to his community by helping neighbors who are facing challenges or difficulties. He also earned his bachelor’s degree and received robust support from his community in Beloit.
  • Joshua Schilling was 20 years old when he sold marijuana and a controlled substance to an undercover law enforcement officer. He is a professional entertainer and performance artist in Chicago.
  • Adam Hanke was still a teenager when he sold a controlled substance to a police informant. Nearly 20 years later, he is pursuing his master’s degree in social work to help others experiencing the same problems he overcame. He has tremendous support from his community in Oakfield.
  • Charles Leggett sold a controlled substance to an undercover officer. A proud father now more than two decades later, he works to provide for his family in Milwaukee.
  • Matthew Callaway was in his late teens when he sold marijuana to an officer 16 years ago. He resides in Colorado, where he aspires to become a firefighter.
  • Antonio Small was 19 when officers pulled him over and found a controlled substance in the vehicle. Since then, he has earned his dual cosmetology/barber license and currently owns a barbershop with his wife where he has provided free services to community members in need in River Falls.
  • Alicia Reed was 18 when officers found a controlled substance in her vehicle two decades ago. She lives in Milwaukee with her family and cares for her son full time.
  • Patrick Moran sold marijuana to an undercover police officer. He has since been committed to his personal development and earned the support of the court. He lives in McFarland and has been a reliable worker for two decades.
  • Kirby Hammonds was 17 years old when police found him in possession of a controlled substance. Over two decades later, he is a father, man of faith, and hard worker. He lives in Madison.
  • Douglas Wynboom sold marijuana to an undercover officer. He lives in Kaukauna where he has remained committed to his employment since 1988.
  • Antonio Robertson was found by officers in possession of a controlled substance. He is now a caregiver for people with disabilities and plays an active role in the lives of his children.
  • Michael Adams was a teenager when he attempted to elude officers after he was observed speeding. Since then, he has served 14 years in the United States Marine Corps where he has earned many accolades in military and air traffic control training. Now working as an air traffic controller, he has also volunteered to tutor and read to kids. He now lives in Arizona with his family.
  • Joyce Pierce was 19 years old when she cashed forged checks. Since then, she has become devoted to teaching and childcare, making these her career ambitions as she’s earned her associate degree and is pursuing a bachelor’s degree. She lives in Milwaukee.
  • Nicole Dayton was 26 years old when she embezzled funds from her employer. She has since become active in her church group and worked to redeem her reputation as a trustworthy employee. She lives in Stoddard and looks forward to traveling for mission work.
  • Leon Howard was 19 years old when officers found marijuana at his residence. Living in Milwaukee, he has supported his neighborhood by organizing back-to-school block parties and street clean-ups on top of working two jobs.
  • Damian Spiropoulos was 21 when officers found marijuana in his residence 25 years ago. A father of two, he lives in Milwaukee and is committed to self-improvement.
  • Albert Taylor was a teenager and trying to pay for college when officers found a controlled substance in his vehicle. Now a driven entrepreneur, he has pursued education and training to help him excel in his business and provide for his family.
  • Jamie Gyr was 18 when he and others stole from several storage units. In the almost 30 years since, he has grown personally and professionally into a husband, father, and businessman. He lives in Brownsville.
  • Marcie Gibson was facing housing instability when she sold a controlled substance to an undercover officer. She lives in Milwaukee, where she dreams of opening a group home for girls.
  • Clinton Mallett’s medical transportation service billed services that were never rendered. He has volunteered through his church and aspires to open a community center in Mississippi.
  • Harry Miller was with friends when they decided to try to steal soft drinks from a vending machine in a locked laundromat and later resisted arrest by officers responding to break up a bar fight he was involved in, assaulting officers and damaging a police vehicle. In the three decades since, he has focused on his work and family, and looks forward to doing more traveling. He lives in Mount Pleasant.
  • Terrell Harper was 21 when he drove a friend to sell marijuana. He has since earned his associate degree, completed treatment, and is involved in young family members’ lives. He is active in web design and lives with his partner in Milwaukee.
  • Mark Randa was in his 20s when he sold marijuana and other controlled substances to undercover police nearly 40 years ago. He is a father of three and has built a career in 3D printing and design and aspires to run for public office in De Soto where he lives.
  • David Stout was 17 when he broke into houses after the homeowners had left to take cash and belongings and tried to escape police custody. He earned support from the circuit court and the district attorney’s office as well as his friends and family. He lives in Beloit.
  • Elijah Reaves was twice found in possession of controlled substances. He has continued his path of self-improvement through professional training, volunteer service, and time with his family in Milwaukee.
  • Adrian Taylor previously stole a woman’s purse and also took his girlfriend’s car during an argument. He has since earned his associate degree and raised his family in Brown Deer.
CLARIFICATION: Following a clarification of the Governor's Office's original statement, the story has been changed to indicate Evers has pardoned more individuals than any Wisconsin governor since Gov. Patrick Lucey.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

WWII veteran who was member of ‘Buffalo Soldier’ unit dies
December 29, 2021

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — Steve Lewis, a World War II veteran who was one of the last living members of an all-Black cavalry regiment, died Wednesday in Florida. He was 99.

Robert Powell, president of the NAACP chapter in Manatee County, Florida, said Lewis had been hospitalized prior to his death but he didn’t know the cause of death.

“We lost a legend, a great guy,” Powell said in a phone interview. “I used to love listening to his stories.”

After entering the U.S. Army in 1943, he was initially assigned to the 9th Cavalry Regiment at Fort Clark, Texas, where he was told to corral and get a horse and issued a saddle, bridle, horse blankets and stirrups, according to the Bradenton Herald. The unit had gained fame after the Civil War by patrolling the American frontier, and its members were known as “Buffalo Soldiers.”

The Army deactivated the 9th Cavalry Regiment in 1944, and reassigned Lewis to the U.S. Army Transportation Corps in Casablanca, where he helped supply war materials to the front in Italy, France, and Germany.

After the war, Lewis, a Florida native, earned a degree in agriculture and taught for 30 years in the Palmetto, Florida, area.

Lewis is survived by a daughter, according to the Bradenton Herald.
No one responded to an email inquiry to the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum in Houston on Wednesday about how many Buffalo Soldiers are still alive.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

A Kansas prosecutor said Tuesday that he won’t file criminal charges over the death of a Black 17-year-old who became unresponsive while being restrained facedown for more than 30 minutes following an altercation with staff at a Wichita juvenile center in September.

Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said the state’s “stand-your-ground” law prevents him from bringing any charges in the death of Cedric Lofton because staff members were protecting themselves. Bennett said that if he did bring charges, “a judge would be duty bound to dismiss the case.”

The teen’s family decried Bennett’s decision, issuing a statement in which they called it “yet another instance of an unarmed Black teenager killed by law enforcement with impunity, threat of reprisal or even an ounce of accountability.”

Community activists previously have called for a special prosecutor, the release of video and the names of the individuals involved in Lofton’s death. Lofton’s brother Marquan Teetz and a local pastor on Tuesday asked a court to release video of the altercation, citing the state’s open records law. The Wichita Police Department on Tuesday released its body camera video.

Lofton was living with foster parents when Wichita police responding to a report of a disturbance encountered him outside a home on Sept. 24, according to a report from Bennett based on a review of video and other evidence. His foster family said Lofton had been behaving erratically in recent months, had become paranoid and was hallucinating, according to the report. Bennett said Lofton was in the midst of a mental health crisis and that police initially tried to get him to seek treatment.

The 5-foot-10, 135-pound Lofton resisted police, assaulting at least one officer before they could restrain him, Bennett’s report said. Police took him to the Sedgwick County Juvenile Intake and Assessment Center, where officers put him in a holding cell at 2:45 a.m. The Wichita officers left the center at 4:15 a.m., leaving Lofton unrestrained with an intake specialist who opened the door to Lofton’s holding cell.

Bennett said the intake specialist later told investigators that he informed Lofton he would be released to his guardian. The teen walked out of the cell. A security officer arrived and tried to help get Lofton back into the holding room after Lofton tried to grab a computer monitor from the intake counter. Lofton hit the intake specialist, knocking his glasses to the ground, according to Bennett’s report.

The two staff members then struggled with Lofton before more staff members arrived. Staff then shackled Lofton’s ankles, put him on his stomach on the floor, then struggled with him some more before handcuffing him, according to Bennett. Around that time, staff said Lofton began to snore, Bennett’s report says.

A few minutes later, staff members realized Lofton had no pulse. They began chest compressions and called emergency personnel, just before 5:15 a.m., the report said.

A December autopsy report ruled the death a homicide and contradicted an earlier, preliminary finding that the teenager had not suffered apparent life-threatening injuries. The autopsy said that the teen’s heart and breathing stopped after he was handcuffed while lying on his stomach.

Bennett said there are legitimate policy questions, including about whether Lofton should have instead been taken to a mental health facility and whether the use of a restraint system was appropriate, but that none of the questions justify criminal charges.

Bennett said he struggled with whether a charge of involuntary manslaughter was justified, but concluded that it was not.

“The bottom line is: The video, the interviews of the employees, even the coroner’s findings that the death was caused by the effect of a prolonged struggle support the workers’ explanation that they only held him down because he continued to struggle that entire time,” Bennett said. “If they have the ability to defend themselves initially, because he resisted, then the fact that he continued to resist for some 30 minutes meant that they could under Kansas law continue to lawfully apply the restraint.”

Bennett, a Republican, said he said he would like to see the Legislature change Kansas’ stand-your-ground law, which provides immunity from prosecution, not just a possible defense at trial.

“This should never have happened,” Bennett said. “It should never happen again.”

The Sedgwick County Department of Corrections said it would form a community task force to review Lofton’s death and make recommendations for systemic improvements.

“Cedric Lofton’s death was very tragic for his family, our community and for those working in our youth corrections system. It is important that as a local public safety entity in our local government, we are accountable and transparent with our community members,” said Director Glenda Martens.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member