Nearly 1 in 3 American workers run out of money before payday—even those earning over $100,000

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Money is digital now of days. These youngins barely ever see cash. Hell, I never carry cash. It feels weird to have in my wallet. When I do have a little cash, I usually end up giving to some homeless person.

Recently, some idiot 18 year olds robbed Starbucks at gun point demanding cash and I was like “they didn’t think that one through at all.” Who uses cash at Starbucks? Lol.

I love the feel and power of having cash on me..brah

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You on some futuristic cord-cutting shit. The ol' lady and I were just talking about that shit. With Amazon same-day, telecommuting(old dinosaur bosses dying off), and ride sharing, cars ownership is becoming obsolete.

I can only imagine what the numbers look like for young drivers. I was getting jacked for a ridiculous amount as a youngin'. Plus the money for the vehicle in the first fucking place. Risk of DUI as a partying youth.

As for the topic at hand, people tend to spend what they have access to. I get that you can't take it with you, but a lot of folks get caught up in the keeping up with the jonses shit. Folks in the suburbs can get petty as hell. Folks even try to one-up each other with the types of lawnmowers they have. :smh:

Lmao...the Joneses...then got a lot of homes foreclosed on..brah

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
The article is bullshit. They don't run out of money. They still have some money in a savings account.

No they don’t I’ll research that when this article came out and the savings is nonexistent I’m seeing a lot of middle-age white people doing Uber and food delivery right now. Like I keep telling people the stock market is doing good but only for the super rich right now everyone else is not getting the benefits from it.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You right but its not always that simple.

Emergency expenses, medical, student loans, and just living in expensive cities.

100k in nyc aint the same 100k anywhere else.

And its education

Like you said its not that people stupid or greedy

Its the fact we aint TAUGHT how to properly manage money

Imagine, i know kids NOW who don't understand the CASH MONEY life you talking about.

They get access to their parents amazon prime accounts, uber, debit cards etc.

They don't really UNDERSTAND the value of money

that plastic life messed up like 2 3 generations

we STILL got people 40+ suffering over student loans and bad mortgages

I'm not making excuses but it aint as simple as just well they buying sh*t they dont need.
as far as these kids blame the parents.. Buying 10 yr olds fucking iPhones and Mac books... Fuck outta here.. Some kid with a case of dropsy and clumsy will tuck up a thousand dollar product real quick.. If I spend a g or some equipment you better be making some money on that s hit or be advancing your knowledge and progress like no other.. If you juss gonna bullshit on it than here goes this moto phone, Amazon tablet, and some under $400 laptop... Don't get mad get better.. Make me know that investing large amount of money is worth it... These parents juss be spending and than get mad when they dorky kid smAsh the screen 3 times and lost the phone twice... The kid is who they suppose to be the parent should of know better

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
as far as these kids blame the parents.. Buying 10 yr olds fucking iPhones and Mac books... Fuck outta here.. Some kid with a case of dropsy and clumsy will tuck up a thousand dollar product real quick.. If I spend a g or some equipment you better be making some money on that s hit or be advancing your knowledge and progress like no other.. If you juss gonna bullshit on it than here goes this moto phone, Amazon tablet, and some under $400 laptop... Don't get mad get better.. Make me know that investing large amount of money is worth it... These parents juss be spending and than get mad when they dorky kid smAsh the screen 3 times and lost the phone twice... The kid is who they suppose to be the parent should of know better

My daughter has had laptops since she was 2. iPads since she was 5. She’s only broke one tablet and it was cover under warranty. She never broke a laptop. I just recently bought her a $400 drawing monitor so she can continue expanding are digital art skills. I say this is money well spent because her work is on point. People already want her to do tutorials.

We stay on her when it comes to taking care of her devices and limit where she can take them. Her iPhone stays in a protective case all the time. She went through a faze where she didn’t want to put it in her case and we took it from her. She got the message pretty quickly.

But I get what you’re say, though. Kids are most reckless and doesn’t understand the value of these expensive devices.

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
Lol I got live-in at the moment but I'm ok with women who won't date a man without a car. That's old thinking or the mindset of what can he do for me. In 10 years car ownership will be for poor people. Well to do people will live, work and play in walking distance and won't require a car.

There's already an apartment being developed n Arizona that doesn't allow cars at all

i can believe it. 85% of my work done is from home i don't really need a driveway full of cars

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You already see it beginning at least in Atlanta. Middle class and up folks who are city dwellers are giving up thier cars, or going from 2 cars to one. They walk, use scooters, Lyft, zipcar, bikes, MARTA...even seen Electric skateboards. Anything's better financially than car ownership if you're in the city. The savings more than justify it. I just gave myself a 10k raise which I can use for investing and paying down debt.

And who owns late model cars? The Uber and Lyft driving workforce.
NYC getting more bike friendly especially with all these food delivery people.. We also have more alternatives with a 24/7 public transportation with buses/trains.. Than these public bike prices dropped down to $5 a month to use for a percentage of the population so you seeing more usage out of them... Now they trying to reduce the amount of cars in the city by not allowing them to go down certain streets at certain times or thinking about adding more tolls to deter people from heading into certain areas... Interesting times ahead of us

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
More money for most just equals higher that money is needed to sustain higher level of living.

People making 100k get a 400k house instead of a 275k one...buy a 40k car instead of a 18k one.

Been that way forever.

Takes a lot of discipline and long term view to realize that just because you are making more money doesn't mean you upgrade everything to go along with that money. Most Americans just don't have it.

I know someone that makes 85k a year, and complains about not having any money to save, doesn't put anything in 401k or anything, maxed out his CC's and winds up barely making it to payday every 2 weeks. Soon after his promotion, sold his 200k house and when he was making 60k, and went out and bought a 450k one and bought a brand new 40k truck.

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I recently had a car collision that was not my fault. Totaled my car (Dodge Charger). Best thing ever happened to me.

Did the math, will save about 10k a year by not driving. Got a discounted unlimited MARTA card by being a student. Lyft or rent a car when needed. I don't plan on car ownership again unless I move out of the city.

Lifestyle changes can greatly benefit or destroy your finances.

I wouldn't mind that except for getting a place near my job in my city where mass transit would work for me would raise my housing price more than what I'm paying for my car payment and insurance. You have to live in a city with really good mass transit for that to work...I'd guess more cities have shitty systems than do.

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It’s defintely not as simple as it seems. Car ownership and medical expenses are two of the main things that hits people in the pockets. Not everything is covered under the warranty and once your warranty runs out, then it’s ass kicking time. I had a recent repair done on my car that cost a little over $800 dollars and there was no way I was paying cash for that. I used credit. Not everyone has a trusty shade-tree mechanic on deck.

Most Americans eat out as well, but inflation has hit the grocery store too. Sometimes when I go grocery shopping, I’m amazed at how much one meal I intend to cook can cost me nearly the same as it would if I ate out.

For the most part, I do well financially for myself and family in managing money. But I also have my months where I want to spend and may burn through my check a little fast. But I have a solid savings account, so I don’t trip too much about it.

But I do agree with the credit thing. That shit just keeps you in the hole always having to pay out.

I know people paying 2k a month to live in or around the DC area for a 1 bedroom apartment. 100k in DC is the equivalent to about 50k in smaller cities. And having kids just makes things financially worse now of days.
Facts. I’m 32 and just now planning for my first child
Cats I know who started having kids in their teens and early 20s are fucked up in the game and never really had a chance due to that early financially burden

I just started hitting Dollar Tree. I can get 4 to 5 16-ounce bottles of Listerine for the price of one bottle at Walmart. Hidden gems are in there.
You been missing out
Cleaning supplies. Office supplies. Soap, deodorant
Dollar Tree has been that place. You can even cop snacks there if need be lol

Last edited:

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lol I got live-in at the moment but I'm ok with women who won't date a man without a car. That's old thinking or the mindset of what can he do for me. In 10 years car ownership will be for poor people. Well to do people will live, work and play in walking distance and won't require a car.

There's already an apartment being developed n Arizona that doesn't allow cars at all

Naw give me my house and a car. Let them fool y’all into thinking apartments is the way to go

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
My cousins hit me up. The one I don't mind as much because she pays back. The other I don't hear from until she needs something. If I got it, sometimes I don't mind. I know we all got our own issues

I have ex-girlfriends who think we are still fucking or something. They be the main ones hitting me up for money. One is a college professor and she's always broke.

Last edited:

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have ex-girlfriends who think we are still fucking or something. They be the main ones hitting me up for money. One is a college proffessor and she's always broke.

College professors without tenure don't make much. Colleges rather hire part time professors than full time. Sucks. I had a family member who was an adjunct professor part time and worked at Costco full time.

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Naw give me my house and a car. Let them fool y’all into thinking apartments is the way to go

I lived in apartments for most of my 20's and every one of them raised my rent like $50 a month every year. Led to a lot more moving than I wanted just to keep my rent payments moderate.

Bought a house and couldn't be happier. The only benefit of an apartment IMHO is that if there's an issue with your unit, you simply call the office and maintenance takes care of it. On the other hand with homes, if you don't have basic knowledge on how to fix some things around the house, that shit can get really annoying having to find repair companies and expensive.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lol I got live-in at the moment but I'm not ok with women who won't date a man without a car. That's old thinking or the mindset of what can he do for me. In 10 years car ownership will be for poor people. Well to do people will live, work and play in walking distance and won't require a car.

That will never be a poor mans things. Poor people cant afford high end cars

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
If you suck at managing your money and credit, you will ALWAYS be behind the 8 Ball on your bills. Doesn't matter how much you make.

It takes discipline to manage your finances.

Man i have a buddy he makes about 85... so everytime i turn around hes like man i aint got no bread im struggling.. i cant wait till pay day.. im like huh! Then hes damn near broke again.. im like this dude just dnt know how to not buy stuff... and he grew up pretty good not wanting for nothing...when he got behind in child support im like dude how that happen. He was like bruh i had my company taking out less money than they should.. im like dude what the hell type of junk is that.. so he didnt have enough money to catch back up... so he had to borrow from 401k... he said to me man i gotta do better.. i just shook my head.. and laughed

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Also the housing crash in 07-08 exposed that white people really live on credit if to take that credit away all hell will break loose Or they would just jump out the window

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You already see it beginning at least in Atlanta. Middle class and up folks who are city dwellers are giving up thier cars, or going from 2 cars to one. They walk, use scooters, Lyft, zipcar, bikes, MARTA...even seen Electric skateboards. Anything's better financially than car ownership if you're in the city. The savings more than justify it. I just gave myself a 10k raise which I can use for investing and paying down debt.

And who owns late model cars? The Uber and Lyft driving workforce.
They giving up the cars because they cant afford them with the high rent in those areas

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man i have a buddy he makes about 85... so everytime i turn around hes like man i aint got no bread im struggling.. i cant wait till pay day.. im like huh! Then hes damn near broke again.. im like this dude just dnt know how to not buy stuff... and he grew up pretty good not wanting for nothing...when he got behind in child support im like dude how that happen. He was like bruh i had my company taking out less money than they should.. im like dude what the hell type of junk is that.. so he didnt have enough money to catch back up... so he had to borrow from 401k... he said to me man i gotta do better.. i just shook my head.. and laughed
Where does he live
85k minus child supports can fuck you over in certain cities

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Where does he live
85k minus child supports can fuck you over in certain cities

Nah he good he stays in suburbs of chicago with his girl in her house... his child supports is a lot but not enough to break his pockets. Plus he gets so much overtime.. and on top of that imma show u how much he doesnt manage his bread right.. he goes and spend 200$ on 3 fishes... and then gets pissed when he have to pay a car note...

trick20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know someone that makes 85k a year, and complains about not having any money to save, doesn't put anything in 401k or anything, maxed out his CC's and winds up barely making it to payday every 2 weeks. Soon after his promotion, sold his 200k house and when he was making 60k, and went out and bought a 450k one and bought a brand new 40k truck.

This is what i just cant understand about people and i know a few like this. They get a promotion/raise and literally the first thing they do is offset any increase in earnings with some keeping up with the Joneses shit.

Autobot8655

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont think that the problem is using cash vs using credit.

When making purchases you should always use someone else's money, because the bank will act more agressively when getting their money back vs your money.

The problem is that people dont know how to manage money.

Personally, I don't carry cash...ever. I may have a 20 for emergencies but other than that I am 100% credit.

But.....I do have a budget and am very cognizant of my spending.

I spent about $30K + on credit last year....

The trick is that it was all on ONE card...the card stayed below 30% of utilization and I paid on the credit card multiple times a month at a rate of $2K-$4k a month. The balance is never carried over to the next billing cycle. I also received maybe a total of $2-3K in credit card rewards.

If you want to use credit follow these rules:

1. Have one card be your main card.
A. Your other cards should be kept for emergencies or should be kept active with bills that are consistent (always same amount and same day).​
1. For instance, I have a couple back up cards. One bill comes out of each a month. The bills are the same every month. My bank withdraws from my account to pay those bills automatically.​
2. Pay on your card multiple times a month.
A. Dont allow your balance to carry over to the next cycle. This way you avoid paying interest but you also get the protections and perks from using credit.​
3. Dont use more that 30% of your credit card limit a cycle.
4. Make a budget!!!
A. Map out your expenses. This map should be inline with your income and should be easy to figure out if you are on salary or work consistent hours.​
1. A general rule is that your housing expenses should not be more than 30% of your monthly net income. If it's more than this, you are in trouble.​
2. At least 5-10% should go to savings.​
5. Stick to your budget.
A. If you cant stick to your budget...​
1. If you want/have to spend more on one expense...spend less on a different one.​

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sometimes, this means living in the hood, not having kids, not buying new clothes, borrowing money from family and friends or stealing.
Life is rough for some people. I dont want people suffering and then trying to kill my ass cause they think I got it.
live below your means motherfuckerrrrrrrrrr

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah but you make ALOT of money a year.
This can't work for everyone. They will fuck themselves up.
It can work for most though.
Good info still. Thanks.

I dont think that the problem is using cash vs using credit.

When making purchases you should always use someone else's money, because the bank will act more agressively when getting their money back vs your money.

The problem is that people dont know how to manage money.

Personally, I don't carry cash...ever. I may have a 20 for emergencies but other than that I am 100% credit.

But.....I do have a budget and am very cognizant of my spending.

I spent about $30K + on credit last year....

The trick is that it was all on ONE card...the card stayed below 30% of utilization and I paid on the credit card multiple times a month at a rate of $2K-$4k a month. The balance is never carried over to the next billing cycle. I also received maybe a total of $2-3K in credit card rewards.

If you want to use credit follow these rules:

1. Have one card be your main card.
A. Your other cards should be kept for emergencies or should be kept active with bills that are consistent (always same amount and same day).​
1. For instance, I have a couple back up cards. One bill comes out of each a month. The bills are the same every month. My bank withdraws from my account to pay those bills automatically.​
2. Pay on your card multiple times a month.
A. Dont allow your balance to carry over to the next cycle. This way you avoid paying interest but you also get the protections and perks from using credit.​
3. Dont use more that 30% of your credit card limit a cycle.
4. Make a budget!!!
A. Map out your expenses. This map should be inline with your income and should be easy to figure out if you are on salary or work consistent hours.​
1. A general rule is that your housing expenses should not be more than 30% of your monthly net income. If it's more than this, you are in trouble.​
2. At least 5-10% should go to savings.​
5. Stick to your budget.
A. If you cant stick to your budget...​
1. If you want/have to spend more on one expense...spend less on a different one.​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My daughter has had laptops since she was 2. iPads since she was 5. She’s only broke one tablet and it was cover under warranty. She never broke a laptop. I just recently bought her a $400 drawing monitor so she can continue expanding are digital art skills. I say this is money well spent because her work is on point. People already want her to do tutorials.

We stay on her when it comes to taking care of her devices and limit where she can take them. Her iPhone stays in a protective case all the time. She went through a faze where she didn’t want to put it in her case and we took it from her. She got the message pretty quickly.

But I get what you’re say, though. Kids are most reckless and doesn’t understand the value of these expensive devices.

I forgot to pm you, my oldest lost the watch phone we got her.

She headed to middle school and was debating getting her iPhone since she older. But in the end her mom was like no we aint rewarding her with an upgrade and she getting punished. So we tell her and she says well can i just pay to replace, i got money in the bank. I'm like little girl you aint working you sibt really EARN that money and how you gonna replace it. I get the duh look. Was i wrong?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I have ex-girlfriends who think we are still fucking or something. They be the main ones hitting me up for money. One is a college proffessor and she's always broke.

Boom.

But like i told @tallblacknyc

I know doctors who the average person wrongfully assume is "rich"

Not realizing medical school and insurance?

Can kill you

Plus lifestyle keeping up with jones its complicated doctor wife gotta keep up with other wifes and so on

Pressure to maintain appearances is a real thing.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Let me give you a simple example.. 1 of my boy owns a liq store.. There are people that will buy a pint of henny every single day... Now the frugal person in me goes if you gonna buy a pint a day why don't you juss cop a half gallon which will save 20+ dollars and get a fucking flask...literally I calculated you will easily save more than a thousand a yr juss by doing that simple step.. But humanoids are not smart enough to break habits even though it will better serve them.. Let's not even go if you decided to go to the wholesale spot which will easily save you 1500+ a yr if you did that.. Sometimes the simplest steps can change your money flow crazy.. Now you could dig even deeper into their spending habits and I bet you can save them money just by simply adjusting their spending or where they spend at... I told you b4 how Gillette razors go for like 4 for like $11 or more at some pharmacies.. Than I saw the same razors at Costco 36 razors for $20..niggg I'm never buying a razor at another spot again thanks to costco... See sometimes it's about finding what you want at a diff spot or cheaper price... I've shown people how to save thousands per yr juss finding better solutions

No one and i mean no one can argue against that

You not even going into economy and financials

Its the human condition logic and emotion and our relationship with money

That is an entirely different thread.

I'm saying 100k in nyc aint the same aa anywhere else

Also you there are too many variables at work

Are there kids, whats the rent, are they union, medical coverage, what debt did they have before they were making 100k, etc etc etc.

All I'm saying is we can't be out here calling people irresponsible with a broad brush.

dirkthesuave

Rising Star
Registered
Agreed. Ppl need to learn l to live below their means but you don't get here by chance. Most ppl today paying for mistakes made in their past. I took me a long ass time to overcome not having been taught fiscal responsibility.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Money is digital now of days. These youngins barely ever see cash. Hell, I never carry cash. It feels weird to have in my wallet. When I do have a little cash, I usually end up giving to some homeless person.

Recently, some idiot 18 year olds robbed Starbucks at gun point demanding cash and I was like “they didn’t think that one through at all.” Who uses cash at Starbucks? Lol.
You sound like my sons and daughter. I can't impress upon them to carry at least $40 in cash to save my life. They are virtually completely cashless but that's the world that they live in. :dunno:

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
You sound like my sons and daughter. I can't impress upon them to carry at least $40 in cash to save my life. They are virtually completely cashless but that's the world that they live in. :dunno:

I hate cash I'm guilty of this