MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Shit was disturbing. This shit was Frankenstein Lolita. Grown ass men sexualizing a mentally disabled child. Straight pedophile shit masked as art.
It was life told through a feminist lens.
Every male in the movie was fucked up. You had the father figure who originally saved her for selfish purposes but then raised her. The beta male assistant doctor who was in love with her and would accept anything she did, which is why she went off with Mark Ruffalo's character. He just wanted a fuck companion but she was a child in a woman's body with no social grace. As soon as he realized that she wasn't going to just do what he said, he started tripping with her.
When she became a prostitute, she had a mother figure basically telling her "all men ain't shit", so she got a girlfriend on the side. All of the men that visited her at the whorehouse had something wrong with them except the priest...who was a priest! So there was that.
Then, when trying to find out her past, there was the "ex" husband who was a true asshole and went to fuck her up for real (again).
It was a feminist's happy ending where she got the husband lobotomized, got the house and the money, the cuck doctor became the new husband after she confessed that she had let many, many men fuck her but he was cool with it. He even let the girlfriend from the whore house move in, so she has a live-in sidepiece.
It was pure feminist fantasy wrapped in a well-acted, decently directed movie with good cinematography.
I wouldn't recommend that shit to a blind man.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My aunt and her husband saw it on the big screen.

She's 75 and he's around 82yo.

He's been getting cancer treatments the past year, and on their hospital return in Feb' he insisted on going to see a movie after lunch. He didn't care what, but said Poor Things sounded interesting. I guess neither read the reviews.

They thought it wasn't good at all. One of their least fave movies in years.

I saw my aunt this past Monday and mentioned to her - "So you heard Emma Stone won Best Actress yesterday, right?"

She chuckled and said - "Yeah, I'm still scratching my head about that movie."

Lol yeah it's not a movie I would recommend to everyone...I'm a fan of Yorgos Lanthimos Movies so I know what to expect, but for the uninitiated that would be difficult/confusing to watch.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was life told through a feminist lens.
Every male in the movie was fucked up. You had the father figure who originally saved her for selfish purposes but then raised her. The beta male assistant doctor who was in love with her and would accept anything she did, which is why she went off with Mark Ruffalo's character. He just wanted a fuck companion but she was a child in a woman's body with no social grace. As soon as he realized that she wasn't going to just do what he said, he started tripping with her.
When she became a prostitute, she had a mother figure basically telling her "all men ain't shit", so she got a girlfriend on the side. All of the men that visited her at the whorehouse had something wrong with them except the priest...who was a priest! So there was that.
Then, when trying to find out her past, there was the "ex" husband who was a true asshole and went to fuck her up for real (again).
It was a feminist's happy ending where she got the husband lobotomized, got the house and the money, the cuck doctor became the new husband after she confessed that she had let many, many men fuck her but he was cool with it. He even let the girlfriend from the whore house move in, so she has a live-in sidepiece.
It was pure feminist fantasy wrapped in a well-acted, decently directed movie with good cinematography.
I wouldn't recommend that shit to a blind man.

Good summation. I knew watching it that a lot of people would be clutching their pearls so hard ( for many different reasons) that they would miss the allegory behind the film. Wife and I enjoyed it, but I would only recommend it to certain people.

I'm a fan of Yorgos lanthimos and seen enough of his films to know what to expect, but for the uninitiated it could be challenging.

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Stepmother 2

4/10

I watched this last night on the road on tubi.

I reviewed the first one earlier. The film picks up two weeks after the first one and about 10 minutes in there is a 3 month time jump with Elizabeth hooked up with her next family.

The plot plays out similarly as the first, with some additional characters brought in to make it more interesting.

Actress Erica Mena (The Stepmother) does a better job doing the Bat Shit crazy persona which makes this film a little better than the first. Her batshit crazy persona goes from the opening scene until her last scene.

We get some insight on her history from a prior relationship that she was in before the first film, that gives us clues on why she is whacked outta of her mind and obsessed with having a family.

The film looks great visually and sounds great. Actors do a ok job in their roles. It is a “Hood Movie” but doesn’t come off as low budget, even though it is. The film is presented well just like the first.

There is a Stepmother 3 on tubi, I suspect that film will give us a full explanation on her origin. I will get that film….at some point.

Synopsis

Elizabeth Carter breaks free from the hospital with a new mission - find a new family and live happily ever after.

MV5BZGY2NTBhMzctMGFkZi00MzdhLTk1NDktMjJlMzI3NDJiMGNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQzNzk4OTg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
X-Men

7.5/10

Believe it or not, this film will be 24 years old this coming July.

Me and my sons watched it tonight while eating dinner on Disney+. They had never seen the film and it’s been over 20 years since I last saw it on HBO. I did see it originally released in theaters.

The film starts out giving the origin of Magneto, and time jumps to the future and introducing Charles and Eric listening in on the introduction of “The Mutant Registration Act”. What this scene does brilliantly is using the word “Mutant” in a way where you can replace it with “Black” or any minority group suffering from racism or any form of discrimination. This was the original premise of introducing the X-Men in the 1960s and it was presented well in this scene.

Later, other members of the X-Men are introduced along with Magneto’s Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. There are two good fight scenes with Mystique taking on a number of X-Men by herself and Toad doing the same. How the film showed them being able to individually hold their own is right out of the classic comics.

Magneto is the main villain out to get revenge and trying to get a head start on the coming war between mutants/humans. Xavier spends his whole time trying to convince him otherwise.

The ending sets things up for future films.

VFX/SFX still holds up today. Disney+ broadcasts it in 4K which helps clean it up.

If it’s been some time since you seen this film, highly recommend you rewatch it. I had forgotten a lot of the film and it seemed new to me while watching it. Disney/Marvel should be doing a 25 year remaster on it next year for its anniversary.

Synopsis

They are children of the atom, homo superior, the next link in the chain of evolution. Each was born with a unique genetic mutation, which at puberty manifested itself in extraordinary powers. In a world filled with hate and prejudice, they are feared by those who cannot accept their differences. Led by Xavier the X-Men fight to protect a world that fears them. They are locked in a battle with former colleague and friend, Magneto who believes humans and mutants should never co-exist.

MV5BZmIyMDk5NGYtYjQ5NS00ZWQxLTg2YzQtZDk1ZmM4ZDBlN2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
X2: X-Men United

7.5/10

Me and my sons watched this one tonight on Disney+. The film came out when my oldest was born. He and his brother born 2 years later never saw it. I didn’t get to see it in theaters and waited for it on HBO which was the last time I saw it back in 2003/2004. So watching it again was like a new film cuz I forgot what happened.

The film reunites Xavier and Magneto, this time working together against Stryker who launches an attack against Mutants/Xaviers school and wanting to build his own Cerebro.

Nightcrawler is introduced in this film.

Logan starts to get information on his origin with the Adamantium as part of Weapon X.

Jean sacrifices her life to save the team which then leads into the next film.

Going to watch the next film now. Again, if you haven’t seen it since it came out, highly recommend watching it before the X-Men debut in the MCU.

Synopsis

Stryker (Brian Cox), a villianous former Army commander, holds the key to Wolverine's (Hugh Jackman) past and the future of the X-Men. This threat re-ignites the call for a mutant registration act. Stryker starts a full-out assault on Professor Xavier's (Patrick Stewart) mansion and school. After escaping his plastic cell, Magneto (Ian McKellen) proposes a partnership with Xavier and the X-Men to combat this new formidable enemy they both have in common.

MV5BNDk0NjYxMzIzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTc1MjU3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
X-Men: The Last Stand

6/10

Me and the sons watched this immediately after the 2nd film tonight.

This film starts out in 1986 giving Jean Grey’s introduction to Xavier and Erik. Then jumps to the 1990s with Worthington Labs coming up with a serum to eliminate mutants powers. The whole film revolves around the serum and introduces the classic “Dark Phoenix” story by bringing back Jean Grey after her supposedly death in the last film.

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants return with new members Pyro, Callisto, Juggernaut and Multiple Man. Angel of the X-Men is introduced.

Not much for action in this film, it’s more story than anything. And bringing in the “Dark Phoenix” storyline didn’t work out as I think they expected. Hopefully the MCU holds out on doing that plot and not jump right into it.

It’s an entertaining film, not the best of the X-Men films at this point in their release. Like the last two, it’s been some time since I saw this, so again it was like

Synopsis

The discovery of a cure for mutations leads to a turning point for Mutants (Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Anna Paquin, Rebecca Romijn, Kelsey Grammer). They may now choose to give up their powers and become fully human or retain their uniqueness and remain isolated. War looms between the followers of Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), who preaches tolerance, and those of Magneto (Ian McKellen), who advocates survival of the fittest.

MV5BNDBhNDJiMWEtOTg4Yi00NTYzLWEzOGMtMjNmNjAxNTBlMzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Origin

True Connections

PRAISE: Ava DuVernay’s Origin may be her most effective and memorable movie yet. The story based on Isabel Wilkerson's landmark book to frame the conversation about segregation and inequality on a global scale and the raw emotion coupled with it.
The movie is effective with a capital E the performances from the cast are so true and down to Earth so praise to the cast including: Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor, Jon Bernthal, Niecy Nash-Betts, Emily Yancy, Blair Underwood and Vera Farmiga.
The movie truly displays how love and friendship can defy any hurdles the pain and power of racism may have.
The visuals are soul stirring and then some. Some are very triggering. When the film turns to Allison and Elizabeth Davis, Black anthropologists who saw first-hand the book burning in Nazi Germany and White anthropologists Burleigh and Mary Gardner and their brave and then some undercover work it was an eye opening revelation to me and I definitely want to read their book Deep South. The film reveals how some connections were for the good in the research of racism and how some studies and connections were sinister.
The film is so many things,part family drama and lecture with a bit of a documentary vibe blended in and it really works for the most part.

PROBLEMS: I would have liked to have spent more time with certain characters that inhabit the film instead of long dwelling shots of humiliation. Some parts of the movie are to on the nose and blatant.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Love Lies Bleeding

Boundless Love !!!!

PRAISE: Yes its a love story....a crazy,tension filled, blood soaked one !!
The story Lou is a reclusive gym manager who falls hard for Jackie, an ambitious bodybuilder who's heading to Las Vegas to pursue her dream....that slowly turns into a nightmare. Director and writer Rose Glass and co writer Weronika Tofilska put together a story with all of the small town connections and grit of a nineties thriller that has an enthusiastic and then some cast including : Kristen Stewart, Katy O’Brian who is a revelation even though i know her from The Mandalorian, Anna Baryshnikov, Jena Malone Ed Harris, and Dave Franco. The passion and love at first sight between the main characters is very believable as the story lays out tension and ties to pasts that are filled with sinister doings but also couple with dreams of wanting more in life and wanting to escape from certain paths in life. The violence in the movie is definitely not for the faint of heart and some visuals are very shocking. Speaking of visuals there are some that are really well done and trippy. The film gets so many things right as the characters find themselves painted into corners,even when some of their hearts are in the right place it has shocking outcomes. There is a great running gag about trying to quit a vice.

PROBLEMS: Thinking back on a nod to an animated classic in the movie, I should have seen a unintentionally funny visual coming. It happens late in the film but it's so crazy it did take me out of the film. I'm really curious to how other people will have a just go with it feeling about it or did it disrupt all of the great things the movie has going for it.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Love Lies Bleeding

Boundless Love !!!!

PRAISE: Yes its a love story....a crazy,tension filled, blood soaked one !!
The story Lou is a reclusive gym manager who falls hard for Jackie, an ambitious bodybuilder who's heading to Las Vegas to pursue her dream....that slowly turns into a nightmare. Director and writer Rose Glass and co writer Weronika Tofilska put together a story with all of the small town connections and grit of a nineties thriller that has an enthusiastic and then some cast including : Kristen Stewart, Katy O’Brian who is a revelation even though i know her from The Mandalorian, Anna Baryshnikov, Jena Malone Ed Harris, and Dave Franco. The passion and love at first sight between the main characters is very believable as the story lays out tension and ties to pasts that are filled with sinister doings but also couple with dreams of wanting more in life and wanting to escape from certain paths in life. The violence in the movie is definitely not for the faint of heart and some visuals are very shocking. Speaking of visuals there are some that are really well done and trippy. The film gets so many things right as the characters find themselves painted into corners,even when some of their hearts are in the right place it has shocking outcomes. There is a great running gag about trying to quit a vice.

PROBLEMS: Thinking back on a nod to an animated classic in the movie, I should have seen a unintentionally funny visual coming. It happens late in the film but it's so crazy it did take me out of the film. I'm really curious to how other people will have a just go with it feeling about it or did it disrupt all of the great things the movie has going for it.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

JBlaze - here's the recent review from the Pop Culture Happy Hour panel.

They liked it too.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
King of New York

7/10

I watched this cult classic tonight. I haven’t seen it in over 20 years.

This film is basically a “Hood Movie”, what makes it unique is it stars a White Man.

Pretty much every Hood Movie that has come out since the release of this film, has basically copied this film in one way or another. It pretty much laid the foundation for Black Hood films going forward. A lot of Hip Hop music videos have copied scenes from this film.

The movie is overloaded with well known actors. A number are veterans and a large number are still at the start of their acting careers and have appeared in well known films/TV shows since the 90s thru today. It’s basically an All-Star film when you watch it today. While watching it you will go “That’s-Whats-His-Face!!!”.

It will be great if someone comes out with two prequel films. What the film never addresses is why Frank has such a closeness with the Black community. One film can be his childhood and the 2nd as an adult getting into crime.

For the Militants, there is some IR PDA between some Black/White characters.

This movie will be removed at the end of this month from tubi, but it is on other free streaming services.

tubi has a clean unremastered version.

Synopsis

A psychotic drug lord leaves prison bent on sharing his profits with the poor, but finds that the streets are tougher than when he left and that there is no way of washing the blood from his dirty money.

MV5BOTE2NDcxNzE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc1NTk4NjE@._V1_.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Doing a green mile deep dive

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Vivarium

5.5/10

I watched this last night on the road.

It’s an interesting Sci-Fi film with a premise that has been done before, but with a little twist.

It tries to be a Mind Fuck film, but fails to deliver. It mainly focuses on societal pressures, parenthood, and suburban nightmares, otherwise it is interesting and entertaining.

The ending is left up to the viewers interpretation.

The film is based around 3 characters, it keeps you focused on what is going on. The film plays out like a extended “Twilight Zone” or “Outer Limits” episode.

Synopsis

Hoping to find the perfect place to live, a couple travel to a suburban neighbourhood in which all the houses look identical. But when they try to leave the labyrinth-like development, each road mysteriously takes them back to where they started.

MV5BYmEyZGQyMmItZTdjMC00YmZhLTk4YjUtNzkzZDc2NDYyMGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Vivarium

5.5/10

I watched this last night on the road.

It’s an interesting Sci-Fi film with a premise that has been done before, but with a little twist.

It tries to be a Mind Fuck film, but fails to deliver. It mainly focuses on societal pressures, parenthood, and suburban nightmares, otherwise it is interesting and entertaining.

The ending is left up to the viewers interpretation.

The film is based around 3 characters, it keeps you focused on what is going on. The film plays out like a extended “Twilight Zone” or “Outer Limits” episode.

Synopsis

Hoping to find the perfect place to live, a couple travel to a suburban neighbourhood in which all the houses look identical. But when they try to leave the labyrinth-like development, each road mysteriously takes them back to where they started.

MV5BYmEyZGQyMmItZTdjMC00YmZhLTk4YjUtNzkzZDc2NDYyMGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

Good movie, if you like it check out The Platform

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Murder on the 13th Floor

4.5/10

I had finished watching the last film and this came up in my tubi recommendations. I watched it tonight.

Watching the preview and reading the description, it seemed predictable until I noticed it wasn’t what I expected.

The married couple is IR BM/WW and the Nanny is a BW, this puts a spin on the flick.

The film only deals with race in one quick scene at the beginning, from there it plays out like a “Lifetime Movie”.

Everything is predictable thruout, no suspense or thrills.

The Wife is portrayed stereotypical in how she is presented, close to a “Karen”.

Overall, it’s a decent film to watch with your girl.

For the Thirsty, Tessa Thompson is made up like a “Plain Jane” thruout the film, nothing to get excited about.

Synopsis

Ariana (Jordan Ladd) discovers her husband is having an affair with the live-in nanny and decides to seek revenge. One day, the nanny becomes trapped in the condominium with two killers hired to take her out.

MV5BMjIxMzYwMzg5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTg3NzkwOA@@._V1_.jpg

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
They gave the white chic from Poor Things the Oscar because she showed her pussy on screen. The movie was basically porn but they tried to pass it off as art.

What you talking about?

You saying that flick has explicit nudity/sex scenes?

Who gives a Fuck about an Oscar, we need more information letting us know if we need to watch it!!!

Shit was disturbing. This shit was Frankenstein Lolita. Grown ass men sexualizing a mentally disabled child. Straight pedophile shit masked as art.
Cotdamn y'all all over the place with this one :lol:
Is the movie worth watching or will a quick visit to Mr. Skin take care of seeing the important parts?