XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marko Stunt.

AEW literally wants audiences to suspend belief with Marko Stunt at times
To be clear, I have no problem with the smaller wrestlers who can perform, have charisma, and are a proven money-making draw.
My issue is with the new guys they bring in like they are huge stars already, when in reality no one outside the most hardcore of fans knows anything about them. Add to that, they often have no charisma and have one-trick pony gimmicks.

Someone like a Marko Stunt can be used as a manager/cheerleader type, but there's no way in hell anyone should ever bump for him and make him come off like a credible threat to win a match.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
To be clear, I have no problem with the smaller wrestlers who can perform, have charisma, and are a proven money-making draw.
My issue is with the new guys they bring in like they are huge stars already, when in reality no one outside the most hardcore of fans knows anything about them. Add to that, they often have no charisma and have one-trick pony gimmicks.

Someone like a Marko Stunt can be used as a manager/cheerleader type, but there's no way in hell anyone should ever bump for him and make him come off like a credible threat to win a match.
I almost gave up on AEW when they had that legless wrestler in the Battle Royal at Double or Nothing....

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I almost gave up on AEW when they had that legless wrestler in the Battle Royal at Double or Nothing....

The whole point of professional wrestling is to suspend belief. You want credible threats boxing or MMA is where that is at. John Cena getting beat for 20 min and only hitting his finisher to win Wrestlemania? That IS professional wrestling. One or no leg wrestlers no way in hell, but in Professional Wrestling land SURE!!! Rey Mysterio built an entire career on what Marko Stunt is doing in AEW, difference is that Rey has won WAAY more matches that he should not have won. Professional wrestling the only "combat" sport not dominated by people of some color and apparently that is okay.

Not trying to be one of those: "Well WWE has been doing it for years and nobody said shyt!!!" cats. I am just saying that you know what you signed up for when you became a fan of Professional Wrestling. Undertaker shooting lightning from the rafters to the absurdity of Orange Cassidy to the Dyck Flip being a legitimate finishing move ALL of that is Professional Wrestling.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
The whole point of professional wrestling is to suspend belief. You want credible threats boxing or MMA is where that is at. John Cena getting beat for 20 min and only hitting his finisher to win Wrestlemania? That IS professional wrestling. One or no leg wrestlers no way in hell, but in Professional Wrestling land SURE!!! Rey Mysterio built an entire career on what Marko Stunt is doing in AEW, difference is that Rey has won WAAY more matches that he should not have won. Professional wrestling the only "combat" sport not dominated by people of some color and apparently that is okay.

Not trying to be one of those: "Well WWE has been doing it for years and nobody said shyt!!!" cats. I am just saying that you know what you signed up for when you became a fan of Professional Wrestling. Undertaker shooting lightning from the rafters to the absurdity of Orange Cassidy to the Dyck Flip being a legitimate finishing move ALL of that is Professional Wrestling.
Come again?

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like the idea of a major promotion giving talent you would never see in the WWE a chance to shine on national television. Yeah it doesn't alway work, but it's cool they got a shot to show their stuff and not just straight job out. It does feel like a well funded indy show, but that's what sets it apart from WWE.

Multi - P Limited

Rising Star
Registered
Come again?
Business models and ideas change with the times...

Also, I should've known that the Rock comparison wouldn't work and should've used someone like A.J. Styles.

He is an outsider from ROH, NJPW and TNA (shit..C.M.Punk and Seth Rollins too) and were not WWE homebred and made it to the top.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Rocky Maiavia/The Rock was a WWF creation. He was never, to my knowledge, on the independent circuit.

Rock spent his whole life in the WWF system. He's probably their first homegrown superstar when you think about it.

A lot of these Indy wrestlers on AEW are literally learning the ropes, what with how to appear on television. Many of them are not TV stars and should continue starving on the Indy scene.

I want to like AEW but they kill me whenever they bring on these Indy wrestlers and try to force them onto TV audiences as if they are legit stars, when in reality, they were wrestling at the local fair grounds just a few weeks ago.

The same thing that happened to Hammer will happen to AEW. Hammer tried to bring all his people on tour with him, gave them jobs and shit and eventually ran out money.

The Young Bucks and others in charge over there are trying to bring all their indy scene friends with them when they are not ready.
I think it more so about throwing a bone to these Indy guys. They're not working for million dollar companies that can still air weekly t.v. shows. Some of these guys income come from working shows and selling mercy.

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
2 Belt Banks. By hook or by crook, WE did this!!!!!!!!!!!!

116126850_1983434038454352_3543115321595509369_n.jpg

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
The crazy thing was, they didn't even cheat to win or use any other type of heel tactics. Once again they wrote Asuka as a weak champion who gets distracted easily and loses.

I fell asleep but I read the results
I am conflicted cause Sasha is one of my favs. But Asuka might be my favorite women's wrestler not named Sasha.

Happy Sasha getting her due but it took a pandemic, Rhonda leaving, Becky getting pregnant and Charlotte getting hurt. Thank God Charlie is out cause now she has a chance to hold it for awhile.

overall Sasha/Bayley are the most consistent and entertaining aspect of WWE

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They did Asuka dirty with that horrible ass title reign. As far as I'm concerned she needs to think about exiting WWE just like Kairi. They're just never gonna push her like the dominant force she was in NXT. At this point she just wasting her time staying in WWE.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They did Asuka dirty with that horrible ass title reign. As far as I'm concerned she needs to think about exiting WWE just like Kairi. They're just never gonna push her like the dominant force she was in NXT. At this point she just wasting her time staying in WWE.
I think just like Nakamura, she's at the point in her career now where she's getting paid way more in WWE and this might just be her last promotion.

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They do every woman shitty that's not blonde. Becky was a joke before Nya broke her nose and she became the man. 4'10" Alexa Bliss has 5 title reigns and she would have more if she wasn't so injury prone. They gamed Charlotte's numbers now and added her NXT title reigns in her total so now she's a 12 time champion. Shayna should have either won the Royal Rumble, won at Wrestlemania or won Money in the Bank. She lost all 3. Shit booking. Sasha lost every single title defense. Shit booking. I know Naomi feels she's being done dirty now but I'm surprised that she was the first Smackdown champion and won the battle royal at Wrestlemania.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'd honestly rather have Sasha as Champion than Asuka.

Unless Asuka has a mouthpiece, I have no interest in seeing her on television.
Most of the Japanese wrestlers suffer from the same fate in that they can't connect with the audience if they can't talk.
Just being a great worker isn't enough and having stereotypical goofy gimmicks won't cut it either.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Most of the Japanese wrestlers suffer from the same fate in that they can't connect with the audience if they can't talk.
Just being a great worker isn't enough and having stereotypical goofy gimmicks won't cut it either.
Yep. One of the keys to being a successful wrestler in the US is having mic skills to get you over. If you don't have mic skills, then having someone with them speaking on your behalf as a manager is the next best thing.

I want to like like Asuka, but I only cared for her slightly more than that AEW's first women's champion Riho. That little girl weighed like 80 lbs soaking wet and never cut a promo.

I changed the channel whenever she was on.

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yep. One of the keys to being a successful wrestler in the US is having mic skills to get you over. If you don't have mic skills, then having someone with them speaking on your behalf as a manager is the next best thing.

I want to like like Asuka, but I only cared for her slightly more than that AEW's first women's champion Riho. That little girl weighed like 80 lbs soaking wet and never cut a promo.

AEW's women's division is so bad. They easily have the best tag division in wrestling and their men's division is solid also but the women. The best woman they have is Dr. Britt and she hasn't wrestled in months.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
AEW's women's division is so bad. They easily have the best tag division in wrestling and their men's division is solid also but the women. The best woman they have is Dr. Britt and she hasn't wrestled in months.

I mean she is hurt with an ACL injury

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Smh, and they are pushing that Tranny and now brought in Vickie Guerrero as her manager.

No thanks.

I mean she is hurt with an ACL injury
Yeah that was a bad break for her.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They need someone with booking experience to oversee it. Right now it's Kenny Omega and I believe Awesome Kong. They also need more veteran talent.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Looking at the total scope of her WWE run, she's pretty successful (grand slam champ, 2nd longest combined title holder, after Charlotte). But yeah, to connect with the bigger casual American audience she would need to speak better English or have a manager. Her Japanese promos are great, but I get that's not for everyone.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I liked how they dropped it though.. It was a day corner in her mind that needed to talk it out that was it... Not drop it to repack it into something else.
They knew it was corny and were like welp. That's that.

This brings me to another problem I have with AEW though....

I feel like there are too many damned stables and the wrestlers who fly solo are few and far between.