Michael Jordan applauds son's decision to play basketball as walk-on at Illinois

MoneyInTheBank

Unstoppable..............
Certified Pussy Poster
Michael Jordan applauds son's decision to play basketball as walk-on at Illinois

tdy_lauer_jordanson_071109.300w.jpg

November 9, 2007

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- Michael Jordan applauded his son's decision to walk on at Illinois rather than accept a scholarship to a smaller college.

The basketball legend and his 18-year-old son, Jeffrey, appeared on the "Today" show Friday.

Jordan said his son decided he wanted the challenge of proving himself at the Big Ten school.

"I'm thinking that's what I would have done," Jordan said.

Talking on the Illinois campus, NBC's Matt Lauer asked if the son had ever beaten his father in a basketball game.

"Ask him how many times," Jordan said to Lauer, knowing the answer would be once, before admitting that he wasn't thrilled about it at the time.

Jordan, a 6-2 guard at Loyola Academy prep school in Wilmette, Ill., chose Illinois over Valparaiso in April. He was a three-year starter at Loyola Academy and two-year All Catholic League player.

He'll be coached by Bruce Weber, who guided the Illini to a 23-12 record last year before losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six championships and was a five-time MVP, said he knows there will be high expectations for his son. But he told him meeting his own expectations is important.

"The thing we have tried to tell Jeff is that you pick your own expectations and if you're happy, that's all that matters," Jordan said. "You're never going to make everybody happy."

Jordan is now part owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.

Jordan talked a bit about his divorce last year from his wife, Juanita, after 17 years of marriage. Along with Jeffrey -- who is majoring in psychology and earned an academic scholarship to Illinois -- the couple have a younger son and daughter.

"His mom and I were on the same page when it came to that," Jordan said. "Our kids came first. We still communicate each and every day."

Jordan said he talked to his son about mistakes he made in the past, including gambling. While he said there is nothing wrong with gambling, he advised his son to be careful.

"My lesson to him was 'Don't ever go outside your means,"' he said.

Jordan said when he attends his son's games, all eyes are on him. So as he's done in the past, he'll make an effort not to show his reactions during Illini games.

His son joked he supports his dad attending games because it takes some pressure off him.

"When he's there it kind of helps me a little bit because I know people aren't watching me so much," he said.

Updated on Friday, Nov 9, 2007 12:58 pm, EST

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
It's not like he needed a scholarship. It would be taking it away from someone who needs it.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
They will always compare him to his pops, If I were him I would not even attempt to play ball on a college or pro level eff that I'd go into acting or some shit

UnoBetter2

Rising Star
Registered
He is on an academic scholarship to Illinois. He is still gonna have a free education anyway.

Fuck that his azz should have to pay. He just got a scholarship for publicity. That free money should go to some kid whos parents cant afford to pay. I swear why they always giving rich people free shit, I just dont get it!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

AOD

Star
Registered
THIS is some fucked up shit...
how can some who's father is worth atleast 300 million
get a scholarship..

I'm still paying off student loans 5 yrs. later...........:angry::angry:
I hear that shit!! After I got out of NY Tech, Chemical Bank owned my black ass for half a decade too!!:lol:

Frank Wilson

Star
Registered
We need more black youth such as Jordon's son to show some of our other black youth on how you become successful.

Look at it people. What is Jordon's son chances of making the NBA at 6'2"?
Really? Look, there are only a few players in the NBA that are 6'2". Hell, I don't really know if any of them are NBA starters.

Therefore Jordon's son did the smart thing. He went to a school with a good reputation for education as well as athletics. Therefore Jordon's son can take advantage of academic and athletic opportunities.

Excellent young man. And a smart one too.

More black youth need to be like him instead of trying to be all "hip-hop", wearing their pants down to thier asss, having sloppy looking dreadlocks and wearing all kinds of ghetto bling.

Ultramagnetic

Star
Registered
Even though we qualified for an academic scholarship,they shoudl have turned it down. That just took a spot away from someone who may have had the grades but couldn't afford the tuition. Not a good look.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's wrong with a kid that earned a scholarship based on his academic acheivement in highschool? Not needing to have his parents pay?

Why would he turn it down? Just because his parents can afford to pay it? That's not Jeff's money.

Part of college is maturing from a kid to an adult. Having the satisfaction that he is essentially paying his way, or most of it, is a great accomplishment.

ripper

Potential Star
Registered
Fuck that his azz should have to pay. He just got a scholarship for publicity. That free money should go to some kid whos parents cant afford to pay. I swear why they always giving rich people free shit, I just dont get it!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

He's on a academic scholarship. Dude, they just not giving a dummy no academic scholar. The boy earned by probably getting good grades throughout his high school years. Damn, give the dude some credit for even trying to get a college education. ;)

AOD

Star
Registered
Funny, back in the 90's, I always thought that any son of Michael Jordan would come in to the NBA and revolutionize the game of basketball. Reinvent the way it's played or some bullshit like that.

Now I doubt if he'd do nothing more than be a regular team player with ok skills that's added on to the roster because of his last name. Oh well... :rolleyes::smh:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
- Imagine the pressure of even playing college ball ... considering your father REVOLUTIONIZED the game/sport GLOBALLY during the 80s, 90s, and for a duration in the 00s. Damn ---->

JEFFREY JORDAN:

WIKIPEDIA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Jordan

"Jeffrey Michael Jordan (born November 18, 1988[1]) is an American college basketball player for the University of Illinois. He played high school basketball for Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois. Jordan is the son of former NBA MVP Michael Jordan who played for the Chicago Bulls. Jordan has been the subject of local and national media attention,[2][3][4] and had three of his games broadcast nationally on ESPN in 2007.[5] Jordan also played football his sophomore year at Loyola Academy. His younger brother Marcus attended Loyola Academy but transferred to Whitney Young High School in Chicago, Illinois and also plays basketball.

Jordan graduated from Loyola Academy on May 26, 2007. He received scholarship offers from Valparaiso and Loyola University Chicago, and was actively recruited as a preferred walk-on by Davidson, Penn State, Northwestern, and University of Illinois.[6][7] Jordan has decided to play as a preferred walk-on at the University of Illinois. Jeff Jordan enrolled at the university in 2007 as a psychology major with an academic scholarship.[8]"

jordan.190.jpg

53882435-bec9-4d1c-91be-1c1cf542249e.widec.jpg

harrington.jpg

carolina2.jpg

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
What's wrong with a kid that earned a scholarship based on his academic acheivement in highschool? Not needing to have his parents pay?

Why would he turn it down? Just because his parents can afford to pay it? That's not Jeff's money.

Part of college is maturing from a kid to an adult. Having the satisfaction that he is essentially paying his way, or most of it, is a great accomplishment.

Because you can have the same self satisfaction of knowing you got in to the school based on academics and SAT, without accepting the scholarship. It might be some inner city kid, who needs that scholarship to go to Illinois. Instead they have to work a job or two. Maybe they can't go at all.

It's similar how some billionaires pay less than 20% in taxes.

And him being on scholarship has nothing to do with maturation.

buck_ya_bitch

Star
Registered

Damn
his son doesn't look nothing like him
plus the fact he 18 and 6'2"
height comes from genetics and nutrition
this kid rich he's had good nutrition his entire life had regular doctor visits
and still only 6'2" at 18
on less he grows 5 inches by the time he 21
jordan should think about getting a dna test...........

D-Nice 1

Star
Registered
Damn
If ANY of the kids are his, THIS ONE DEFINITELY IS. :yes:

Jeffrey was the "trap" baby. The others could be Charles Oakley's or somebody's.:dunno:

D-Nice 1 (The Nice One)

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because you can have the same self satisfaction of knowing you got in to the school based on academics and SAT, without accepting the scholarship. It might be some inner city kid, who needs that scholarship to go to Illinois. Instead they have to work a job or two. Maybe they can't go at all.

Sorry but if a kid can't get into one school because there were no scholarships available and has the grades (or athletic ability) look to other alternatives. MFs acting like U of Illinois is the only college in the state :smh:

And him being on scholarship has nothing to do with maturation.

Yes it does. If his grades slip past a certain GPA and he's not taking the required credit hours per semester, guess what is going to happen to that money he's getting on his education, room and board, books, etc.?

It's his responsibility to perform in the classroom to keep it up. A student can lose an academic scholarship just as fast as he or she can earn one.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn

:eek:

With some of the dumb shit being said on BGOL... You never know when MFs are joking or being serious.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Damn

He raised the dude for 18 years now would say.....:angry: give me a DNA test.

WTF?

6'2 aint short, he is only 4 inches shorter than mike, he gets genes from both sides. I know cats 6'3" with dwarves(grown men 5'6") that look just like them. That said......

Now if he cant jump..............................................

GET THE TEST!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Sorry but if a kid can't get into one school because there were no scholarships available and has the grades (or athletic ability) look to other alternatives. MFs acting like U of Illinois is the only college in the state :smh:

I'm glad black people didn't think that way in the 50's and 60's :hmm:

So someone shouldn't attend their dream school, even though Jordan probably bets more on a golf outing than what Illinois cost a year :hmm:

Yes it does. If his grades slip past a certain GPA and he's not taking the required credit hours per semester, guess what is going to happen to that money he's getting on his education, room and board, books, etc.?

It's his responsibility to perform in the classroom to keep it up. A student can lose an academic scholarship just as fast as he or she can earn one.

Again that has nothing to do with maturation. You can get kicked off the team for missing practice or classes on a sports scholarship. If he loses his scholarship, it's not like his parents can't afford to pay for him to continue. He's already obviously self motivated, because he could have dropped out in high school knowing he will never need for anything. That just supports the argument of him not needing the scholarship.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
THIS is some fucked up shit...
how can some who's father is worth atleast 300 million
get a scholarship..

I'm still paying off student loans 5 yrs. later...........:angry::angry:

300 million ??? If Mike woke up and found out he was worth 300 million this ninja might commit suicide, he's worth at least double that !!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
"That's my kid, muthafuckas. Why ya'll gotta clown on a brother? Just let me smoke my weed and golf with Charles ... shit! I gave you cats 2 decades worth of basketball. The fuck?!"

:lol::lol::lol:

resource.aspx