Marvel woke up today and said......let me remind y'all who the fuck we are!!

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
That is true but the ones I mentions are more recent.

Everyone knows in the Marvel Comics world who rules:
Spiderman
Xmen
Fantastic Four

That is why Marvel sold those properties off to make money.
The ones that kept were the bottom feeders but they brilliantly made the MCU with them. They did that cause they had to.
So by definition, the least popular characters started the MCU. We cannot deny this.
I'm not making a point about comic sales. Superheroes as a whole have been on the wane for years. The only thing that kept them alive in the 90s were Saturday morning cartoons but even those were overtaken by the Pokemon/Digimon stuff from Japan.

Even in the MCU era of huge superhero blockbusters, superhero comics don't sell anywhere near as well as manga.

Here's my point; Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man were just as much household names in the English-speaking worId as Spider-Man even before the MCU.

The sales of the comics is irrelevant because most of the people watching these films either never were really into comics or stopped reading them in childhood. If you went back to, say, 1998 and asked 10 random strangers if they recognize a particular superhero, I guarantee you just as many would recognize Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man as would recognize Spider-Man.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I'm not making a point about comic sales. Superheroes as a whole have been on the wane for years. The only thing that kept them alive in the 90s were Saturday morning cartoons but even those were overtaken by the Pokemon/Digimon stuff from Japan.

Even in the MCU era of huge superhero blockbusters, superhero comics don't sell anywhere near as well as manga.

Here's my point; Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man were just as much household names in the English-speaking worId as Spider-Man even before the MCU.

The sales of the comics is irrelevant because most of the people watching these films either never were really into comics or stopped reading them in childhood. If you went back to, say, 1998 and asked 10 random strangers if they recognize a particular superhero, I guarantee you just as many would recognize Hulk, Cap, and Iron Man as would recognize Spider-Man.

I agree with you except the recognizing those heroes (by non-readers) like Cap or Ironman. Spider-Man maybe, but that's it.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
With all due respect, Captain America and Hulk had popular TV shows.

To the general non-comic. non-cartoon watching public I'd say they might know the HULK (he's part of public popular media) but Captain America a lot less. I dated a lot of women who didn't know who ANY of those caricatures were. Took one ex to see Fantastic Four years ago and she kept telling people I took her to see the "Super Friends"....lol

Had another chick I used to fuck that refused to watch Marvel movies because she couldn't get "the premise" of any of it. Couldn't tell you who was what.

Last edited:

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

maxresdefault.jpg

Danny-Lore-390x496.png

Mariko_Tamaki_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Tini_Howard_at_MegaCon_Tampa_Bay.jpg

fAeK36nj_400x400.jpg

3jobfmdvgvx71.jpg

image0.jpeg

A big reason why comic books aren't selling is right here. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. All of these women are writers of Marvel and DC and I'll through in Ta nahesi Coates I personally thought his shit sucked ass.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because women are writing comics they not selling :hmm: is that what you are saying and believing?
No that's not what I am saying. When I started reading comic books Jeanette Khan was the editor at DC, Louise Simonson was one of the most successful writers at Marvel along with Ann Nocenti so it ain't the women its what kind of women. Clearly the women I posted have an agenda.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No that's not what I am saying. When I started reading comic books Jeanette Khan was the editor at DC, Louise Simonson was one of the most successful writers at Marvel along with Ann Nocenti so it ain't the women its what kind of women. Clearly the women I posted have an agenda.
Ok ok I feel ya…

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Because women are writing comics they not selling :hmm: is that what you are saying and believing?
Not to be anti LGBTQ, but there is some substance to what he is saying. The majority of the world is heterosexual. Writers are used to writing from their perspective and experience. It's difficult to fabricate or talk about an experience that you have never had or do not currently experience. Then also do so without injecting your personal experiences.

This is partly why T. Coats didn't work. I appreciate his efforts, but he does not come from what many of us would consider a regular black experience. Though I believe his stories should be told. Is there an audience, that's another question.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
To the general non-comic. non-cartoon watching public I'd say they might know the HULK (he's part of public popular media) but Captain America a lot less. I dated a lot of women who didn't know who ANY of those caricatures were. Took one ex to see Fantastic Four years ago and she kept telling people I took her to see the "Super Friends"....lol

Had another chick I used to fuck that refused to watch Marvel movies because she couldn't get "the premise" of any of it. Couldn't tell you who was what.
That's not a good sample size, b.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's not a good sample size, b.

I HEAR you

bro let me tell you as someone who was a young black kid going to conventions and comic shops in the late 80s and 90s

do NOT over estimate the size of the geek culture

ESPECIALLY as opposed to now.

It is NOT the same at all.

It was not mainstream or accepted.

It was not cool ESPECIALLY for girls and even those in the know were madly devoted to ONE side of another

go ask comic book vets

how many WOMEN were fans.

they were THERE yes but it was DIRRECNT time they were not catered to or respected or..

hold on I guess times haven't changed much I digress.

I'm saying it was a sub culture not mainstream.

and the man you responded to?

@Drayonis KNOWS the comic book industry

TRUST ME.