Maher: Trump has revealed how many 'vulgar, tacky, racist' people there are

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Comedian Bill Maher said on Sunday that Donald Trump’s campaign has revealed how many “vulgar, tacky, racist” people there are in the U.S.

“What we learned is there are a lot of vulgar, tacky, racist people in this country — more than I thought, I knew there were some,” he said in an interview on CNNs “Fareed Zakaria GPS.”
Maher also referred to Trump’s supporters as a “basket of deplorables,” a term that Hillary Clinton used once to describe some of the mogul’s followers and then apologized for.

“I know they hate that term but if the basket fits — and it does,” he said.

Maher also addressed the possibility he might launch a political career, saying he does not see the point in running for office because his atheism would most likely be a “deal breaker” in a campaign.

“It’s interesting, I could run more reasonably than I could 10 years ago,” he said. “But my standard answer to that was always, ‘I think religion is bad and drugs are good’ and that is not a slogan that will probably get you a lot of votes in America.”

The comedian predicted that if Trump, the GOP nominee, loses in November, he will go on to be the “Che Guevara of deplorables.”

“I think he’s going to be a revolutionary out there,” he said.

Maher argued that the media has not done enough to confront Trump's lies and said it should stop treating him and Clinton as equivalent candidates.

“I think the media has been going downhill for a long time, with notable exceptions,” he said. ”But I think one of their big problems is they confuse fair and balanced with false equivalency.”

“I know he’s going to stammer and yell, and he does, I saw it at the last debate. He’s like a 5-year-old,” he added, citing Trump’s complaints to the moderators at the last debate.

As for Clinton, Maher admits that the Democratic nominee is guarded, but argued there is good reason for her to be.

“I don’t think there has been anyone who has been more scrutinized, over scrutinized. I always say she’s like a black driver in a white neighborhood and the police are the Republicans — they keep pulling her over and they keep having to let her go,” he said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...-revealed-how-many-vulgar-tacky-racist-people

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Trump has revealed how many 'vulgar, tacky, racist' people there are . . .

AND, here's one more -- that apparently has been admitted to Trump's inner circle; and what one commentator has to say about him:

After hiring Steve Bannon, announcing deportation plans, Trump
finds himself in a 'reality' where participants are 'firing' back

aptopix-trump-protests-missouri-d251e6bc8c18587c.jpg

Protesters in opposition to the election of President-elect Donald Trump on
Sunday, Nov. 13, 2016, in St. Louis. Demonstrations also took place internationally.
A group of Mexicans at statue representing independence in Mexico City expressed
their concerns about a possible wave of deportations. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
(Jeff Roberson)

Roy S. Johnson
Al.Com
November 15, 2016

Yes, I'm going to give Donald Trump a chance, as President Obama asked us to do during his press conference on Monday.

I'm going to keep an open mind—or at least try, real hard. Really.

But I am not naïve, especially with the divisive tone and tenor of his hateful campaign still ringing in my ears. Nor am I blind to the kind of obtuse decision making we're seeing thus far from the President-elect, most especially Trump's naming white nationalist Steve Bannon as his chief strategist and senior counselor, making this racial flame-thrower one of the most influential among influentials in the inner, inner circle that will surround the 45th President of the United States.

Bannon, as most are aware, is the former executive chairman of the extreme right-wing Breitbart News, whose content stokes the flames of divisiveness that emerged from the moment Trump announced his candidacy last year and are now rising like ugly weeds through the sidewalks of our nation. He took over Trump's campaign in August and guided him, triumphantly and improbably, across the finish line, empowering along the way a once-fringe element that had, by many characterizations, seen Trump as its "last stand."

Now, of course, whether Bannon was named to Trump's team or not, he would have still been close to the bullseye of that tight inner circle, whispering sweet (or loathsome) utterances to the President for the next four years.

But by giving Bannon such a title, by all-but-giving him a key to the West Wing, Trump essentially spit in the eye of every American who believes in the long-fought-for rights of all who live in the most diverse nation on Earth.

He validated a movement that was seeded by the Ku Klux Klan and National Alliance and has been steadily brewing since 2008 when Barack Obama became the first African-American president of the United States.

Now, the white nationalist movement is salivating at the very-real idea of using President Trump to advance its ideas, range from core-conservative (putting our borders on lock-down, unless you're emigrating from a "white" country," of course) to just downright crazy. Conisder the "ethno state" espoused by Richard Spencer of the National Policy Institute, a white nationalist "think-tank".

Earlier this year, the Southern Poverty Law Center said Breitbart had "undergone a noticeable shift toward embracing ideas on the extremist fringe of the conservative right. Racist ideas. Anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant ideas –– all key tenets making up an emerging racist ideology known as the 'Alt-Right.'"

But President-elect just told us he really doesn't give a dang how alt-whatever they are, they're part of his team. Deal with it.

And thousands of Americans are doing so in demonstrations in cities throughout the nation.

Now, I've been slightly-pleasant surprised at Trump-light, the man who emerged from his first meeting with the President looking like how we all looked after we, likely in elementary- or middle-school, saw the very-graphic movie about how babies are born.

He initially backed off his vow to repeal-and-replace the Affordable Care Act but later said he actually likes part of it. (He also probably realized that neither he nor the Republicans, have a single "replace" idea between them.)

On Monday, Obama revealed that he will be carrying Trump message of support for NATO—which he called "obsolete" during the campaign—to European leaders during his final trip abroad as President this week.

But then on Sunday, Trump had vowed to deport up to three million immigrants—an idea Forbes assesses would be stunningly costly, impractical and potentially clog the already-jacked court system for years. Trump added that within his first 100 days he would cancel federal funding for the nation's 31 "sanctuary cities" that generally do not utilize local resources to enforce federal immigration laws and don't allow their law enforcement officers to stop someone solely to inquire about their documentation.

If you're a fan of the television series, "Designated Survivor," you may recall the episode in which a Governor refuses to follow an order by the new President to protect local Muslim citizens who were under attack by local fear mongers.

Well, our emerging reality show is just the opposite: mayors, governors across the nation are vowing not to be party to Trump's deportation scheme. And I'm rooting for them. (Moreover, millions of "criminal" undocumented immigrants have already been deported under the Obama administration.)

"The city of Chicago is your home; you are always welcome in this city—always," said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. "From its first day, this city was a city of immigrants, its future is a city of immigrants, its people who come here because they know that in Chicago their struggles, their sacrifice on behalf of their children can be realized."

"I will continue to stand by immigrants in Minneapolis," said Minneapolis mayor Betsy Hodges. "If police officers were to do the work of [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] it would harm our ability to keep people safe and solve crimes. Witnesses and victims of crimes won't come forward if they think our police officers will question or detain them about their immigration status... I will continue to stand by and fight for immigrants in Minneapolis regardless of President-elect Trump's threats."

"We will not sacrifice any of our people," Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza told the Providence Journal. "I've been in touch with [Los Angeles and New York City] mayors and I've told them that we're going to stand together on this."

Earlier, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said in an email to Democratci party leaders: "So let me be absolutely clear: If anyone feels that they are under attack, I want them to know that the state of New York – the state that has the Statue of Liberty in its harbor – is their refuge. Whether you are gay or straight, Muslim or Christian, rich or poor, black or white or brown, we respect all people in the state of New York."

I'm trying to give Trump a chance; i really am.

But he threw down the first gauntlets by hiring Bannon and announcing his deportation plans. Suddenly he finds himself in a new reality show—one where he can't simply fire the participants.

These participants, in fact, are firing back.

SOURCE: http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf...incart_most-commented_alabamafootball_article