Living in the same town for your entire life: Most Americans live within 25 miles of their mothers

Have you lived outside of your hometown (or state)?

• I have never lived outside of my hometown and see no need to.

• I have never lived outside of my hometown-- I regret that or plan to change it.

• I have lived outside of my hometown and couldn't imagine never living somewhere else.

• I left but wish I had (or could have) stayed in my hometown my entire life.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is why Americans are so goddamn ignorant because the majority of them have never seen anything beyond their own block. This is the exact reason why they're so easily manipulated and racist. People that travel have a different outlook on the world. Great thread
i can say its similar for the rest of the world but the real difference is "curiosity" , even folks in so called 3rd world countries have a better understanding of the outside world than average americans who dont even bother with the rest of the world,( thats why the average american thinks afrikans still live on trees or most in huts and dont have roads, highways, planes or cellphones or computers or all are in farmine disasters and wars!) they think america is the enter of the world so they dont need to be curious about the rest of the world we live in.
i keep telling folks this, and it shows alot in the way their vies and arguments are formulated , ive lived on 3 different continents and 5 countries lived in total travelled to countless more and it really informs ur world view, nd thats one gift i always thank and appreciate my parents for since i was kid

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
i can say its similar for the rest of the world but the real difference is "curiosity" , even folks in so called 3rd world countries have a better understanding of the outside world than average americans who dont even bother with the rest of the world,( thats why the average american thinks afrikans still live on trees or most in huts and dont have roads, highways, planes or cellphones or computers or all are in farmine disasters and wars!) they think america is the enter of the world so they dont need to be curious about the rest of the world we live in.
i keep telling folks this, and it shows alot in the way their vies and arguments are formulated , ive lived on 3 different continents and 5 countries lived in total travelled to countless more and it really informs ur world view, nd thats one gift i always thank and appreciate my parents for since i was kid

Too bad all of that “curiosity” and world experience doesn’t extend to respecting the Black American struggle.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I’ve stayed 25 miles within my area so this rings very true to me. All my family is here (been here for over 200 years), great schools and education, which piped-lined me right into a local university as a professor. Raising my daughter, I have been able to keep my family stable financially and lifestyle wise. I also have land in my inheritance.

I’ve travelled around the country and visited big cities. I’ve experienced other cultures and lifestyles. No other state/city is desirable for me to want to live in at the moment. California and NYC would do me well for what I’m trying to accomplish in life, but I’m determined to do that from a distance. Not living there.

I figured if I want to experience other stuff, I’ll just travel their. Home for me will always be NC.

I moved to NC from VA back in '06...still aint got use to this high gas tax down here...now they puttin tolls on the road out here...lol

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I wonder how many are MAGA voters and if so, does that explain their fear and paranoia.

At the India Today Conclave 2018 in Mumbai, Clinton told a crowd that the states she won represented a higher gross domestic product than the areas won by Trump. "If you look at the map of the United States, there's all that red in the middle where Trump won," Clinton said. "I win the coast, I win, you know, Illinois and Minnesota, places like that." "I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's gross domestic product," she continued. "So I won the places that are optimistic, diverse, dynamic, moving forward. And his whole campaign, 'Make America Great Again,' was looking backwards."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/378070-clinton-i-won-places-moving-forward-trump-won-places-moving-backward

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

If "Making less than $70K per year in this city pretty much means you're struggling," then the average Bostonian is struggling according to U.S. News & World Report. (That number did not strike me as believable.)​
10. San Diego, California
Average annual salary: $56,410
Unemployment rate: 3.3%
9. Denver, Colorado
Average annual salary: $57,400
Unemployment rate: 3.0%
8. Anchorage, Alaska
Average annual salary: $58,980
Unemployment rate: 6.1%
7. Hartford, Connecticut
Average annual salary: $60,040
Unemployment rate: 4.2%
6. New York, New York
Average annual salary: $63,079
Unemployment rate: 4.0%
5. Seattle, Washington
Average annual salary: $63,120
Unemployment rate: 3.9%
4. Boston, Massachusetts
Average annual salary: $65,420
Unemployment rate: 3.1%
3. Washington, D.C.
Average annual salary: $69,210
Unemployment rate: 3.4%
2. San Francisco, California
Average annual salary: $69,700
Unemployment rate: 2.7%
1. San Jose, California
Average annual salary: $77,180
Unemployment rate: 2.6%
The most recent Wal-Mart pay info I could find for Massachusetts was 2015:​
Massachusetts' minimum wage became $9 in January, and increases to $10 in January 2016. On Thursday, Walmart, the largest private employer in the U.S., announced that 1,030 workers in Massachusetts received pay raises as part of raises that went into effect this week across the country. The average full-time hourly wage for Walmart workers in the state is $13.88, according to the release.
Minimum wage in Massachusetts is now $11 an hour, there's no indication of if Wal-Mart raised wages there when they announced they were starting people at $11 nationally. But let's just say the average full-time hourly wage for Walmart workers in the state is now $16.00. That's $33,280, barely half the state average! Which is below what you defined as struggling! And that's working full-time year-round without missing a week (for a company famous for messing with people's schedules)!​
Some people are working those jobs and trying to support families. I don't understand why, unless you had roots there, you wouldn't move to Phoenix or Vegas or some other reasonably affordable city in that case. (Even if you have roots there, I understand it but it's probably a questionable decision.)​
I do understand that sometimes people are too poor to even move and it's not that easy. But the reality of the situation is mind-boggling to me.​