Living On $80K A Year In Washington, DC

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WTF? I'm still trying to figure out how she purchased a home in the Shaw neighborhood at $250k. She must of purchased before genfry took over everything.

Anybody got any info about that home assistance purchase she was talking about?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
WTF? I'm still trying to figure out how she purchased a home in the Shaw neighborhood at $250k. She must of purchased before genfry took over everything.

Shes full of shit with that home price. Everything in Shaw is 800k.

The program is HPAP (go to dcgov for details). It was intended to assist middle income residents in home purchasing with a benefit going to minorities. But it's backfired due to high median income levels. You now need to be making 100k to qualify so its difficult for those who need it most.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shes full of shit with that home price. Everything in Shaw is 800k.

The program is HPAP (go to dcgov for details). It was intended to assist middle income residents in home purchasing with a benefit going to minorities. But it's backfired due to high median income levels. You now need to be making 100k to qualify so its difficult for those who need it most.

100k to qualify? Sounds like assistance to single white folks.

I was in the Shaw neighborhood last night as I went to a concert at the Howard Theater. Parking by the McDonald's and walking on 8th street, I was like when did all this shit get put up? They basically built a high rise on top of the Shaw metro.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor

She said she used a program that helped her with the home.

a1rimrocka

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know she used the program but a house in the Shaw neighborhood for $250K isn't possible.
I actually can't think of any home in the city for 250k. That ho is beyond a liar.

It was a rehab that the city sold for $250k and she was chosen thru a lottery

On the house…
“It was a blighted property in a historic district on N Street, by the Convention Center, and then the city rebuilt the house. I loved it—it’s a rowhome, two bedrooms, two-and-a-half bathrooms, everything is renovated. I have a backyard with off-street parking. It’s got grass for my dog to play. My sister still lives with me.”

“The city decided to sell the home at an affordable price of $250,000. But I had a Home Purchasing Assistance Program grant of about $64,000 and I was also able to put down about $13,000 of my own savings, so my mortgage ended up being $175,000.”

“If your income falls within a certain track, you don’t have to pay interest on your mortgage. When I started the program, I was making close to $42,000, so my mortgage is under $800 a month.”

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is 80k not considered decent money for a single person in DC?

If you're a renter then yes. Homeowner, hell no. One thing I got from reading the article was she started taking care of her mother and claimed her on her taxes plus her sister was in high school. That's basically a 3-person household at that point which would be low income for D.C.

There is affordable housing in the burbs but it will involve a car + public transportation if you're working in D.C.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Could she have bought the house from an older person that didn't know it's worth?

Leatherf7ce

Phantom of the Chakras
BGOL Investor
100k to qualify? Sounds like assistance to single white folks.

I was in the Shaw neighborhood last night as I went to a concert at the Howard Theater. Parking by the McDonald's and walking on 8th street, I was like when did all this shit get put up? They basically built a high rise on top of the Shaw metro.
The Little Brother show?? How was it? I went to see Pharoahe Monche at the Kennedy Center

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

i didnt watch yet, but i bought in shaw for less than that, but it was right before gentrification.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It was a rehab that the city sold for $250k and she was chosen thru a lottery

On the house…
“It was a blighted property in a historic district on N Street, by the Convention Center, and then the city rebuilt the house. I loved it—it’s a rowhome, two bedrooms, two-and-a-half bathrooms, everything is renovated. I have a backyard with off-street parking. It’s got grass for my dog to play. My sister still lives with me.”

“The city decided to sell the home at an affordable price of $250,000. But I had a Home Purchasing Assistance Program grant of about $64,000 and I was also able to put down about $13,000 of my own savings, so my mortgage ended up being $175,000.”

“If your income falls within a certain track, you don’t have to pay interest on your mortgage. When I started the program, I was making close to $42,000, so my mortgage is under $800 a month.”

Ok.. That clears it up. Knew there was alot of funny shit going on.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She basically lucked up on those city programs for low income ppl looking to buy homes in D.C. More power to her though. She has a $800/month mortgage on a house that's worth at least $550k-$700k now. Props to her.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She basically lucked up on those city programs for low income ppl looking to buy homes in D.C. More power to her though. She has a $800/month mortgage on a house that's worth at least $550k-$700k now. Props to her.

Hopefully she can afford the taxes for the property. I wonder what the property tax rate is out there?

a1rimrocka

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hopefully she can afford the taxes for the property. I wonder what the property tax rate is out there?

She's taxed on the $250k (+ incremental % annual assessment increases) due to how the property is classified with the city, not the true value. DC residential tax is $0.85 per $100

Last edited: