Living in the same town for your entire life: Most Americans live within 25 miles of their mothers

Have you lived outside of your hometown (or state)?

• I have never lived outside of my hometown and see no need to.

• I have never lived outside of my hometown-- I regret that or plan to change it.

• I have lived outside of my hometown and couldn't imagine never living somewhere else.

• I left but wish I had (or could have) stayed in my hometown my entire life.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Those of you to whom this applies-- Do you have any regret or feel like you missed anything?

I couldn't imagine living in one town, city or even state my entire life. I tend to think it mainly owes to a lack of opportunity-- having kids young might force someone to settle in one spot early in life-- but it is certainly a choice for some. Why?

Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where’s Home?
BY D’VERA COHN AND RICH MORIN

...Among all respondents to the Pew Research Center survey, 57% say they have not lived in the U.S. outside their current state: 37% have never left their hometown and 20% have left their hometown (or native country) but not lived outside their current state.

The Pew survey finds that stayers overwhelmingly say they remain because of family ties and because their hometowns are good places to raise children. Their life circumstances match those explanations. Most stayers say at least half a dozen members of their extended families live within an hour’s drive; for 40%, more than 10 relatives live nearby. A majority of stayers also cite a feeling of belonging as a major reason for staying put.

Movers are far less likely to cite those kinds of ties. Fewer than four-in-ten say a major reason they moved to their current community has to do with family or child-rearing. Most movers have five or fewer extended-family members living within an hour’s drive of them, and 26% have none. The most popular reason that movers choose a new community, selected by a 44% plurality, is job or business opportunities, according to the Pew survey. About the same share of stayers (40%) cite job or business opportunities as a major reason for staying, but far more stayers choose reasons related to family and friends.

Movers are more likely than stayers to say that it is likely they will move in the next five years. But despite those and other differences, equal shares of movers and stayers — about six-in-ten — rate their communities overall as good to excellent.

Most Americans live surprisingly close to their mothers

Most Americans live within 25 miles of their mothers, according to a study co-authored by an economics researcher at Washington University in St. Louis.

The study calls into question a widespread belief that when children grow up, they’re likely to move far away and not be on hand to help out when their mothers get older. Not surprising, findings show a strong connection between education levels and the probability that individuals live close to their mothers.

The study, conducted for the University of Michigan Retirement Research Center, is co-authored by Robert A. Pollak, Ph.D., the Hernreich Distinguished Professor of Economics in Arts & Sciences and the Olin School of Business at Washington University, and Janice Compton, an economics professor at the University of Manitoba. Compton earned her doctoral degree in economics from Washington University in 2005.

This study is based on a nationally representative sample of married and single adults age 25 and older from the National Survey of Family Health and on data from the U.S. Census.

“Adult children with college degrees are much less likely to live with or near their mothers,” said Pollak, who co-authored a working paper titled “Proximity and Coresidence of Adult Children and their Parents: Description and Correlates.”

For example, among couples who both have college degrees, about 50 percent live more than 30 miles from both their mothers and only 18 percent live within 30 miles of both mothers.

Among couples who have no college degree, the situation is reversed: about 19 percent live more than 30 miles from both their mothers and 50 percent live within 30 miles of both their mothers.

“If you go to college, you’re more likely to work away from the place you grew up,” Compton said. “Plus, you’re more likely to marry someone who’s not from your hometown and or even from your state. And since your mothers don’t live in the same area, you are less likely to move to be close to one mother but not the other.”

Unmarried adults tend to live closer to their mothers—about 15 miles compared to about 25 to 30 miles for married adults.

Compared with whites, Hispanics are no more likely to live in close proximity to their mothers, but they are twice as likely to live with their mothers. Blacks are more likely than whites to live near their mothers and also more likely to live with their mothers.

“There are certainly cultural issues that affect coresidence and family proximity,” Pollak said.

Gender has no impact on proximity, but unmarried women are less likely than unmarried men to live with their mothers.

Younger adult children are more likely, and older adult children are less likely, to live with or near mom. Only children live closer to their mothers, on average, but for those children who have siblings, the researchers found no birth order effect. In other words, the youngest in the family were no more likely to live close to mom than were the first-borns.

The researchers also analyzed how proximity patterns were influenced by the needs of older mothers for help or the needs of adult children for help with childcare. Adult children are more likely to live with their mothers when one of them needs help—when mothers are older or in poor health, or when adult children are unemployed or unmarried. But the probability of close proximity depends primarily on the age and education of the adult child, not the mother’s need for care.

“What’s striking about the data is how seldom married couples live with either his mom or her mom,” Pollak said. “But almost 20 percent of single men live with their mothers. And if you exclude those who are living together, the median distance of single men to their mother’s home is 15 miles.

“It would be interesting to know how many of the single men have never left home, which puts a different twist on the question of who’s taking care of whom.”

PJN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well, moved around a lot as a military later diplomat family, other than that, I've always lived in Md. Living close to slim mama, saved us a lot of $ in childcare costs though.

Last edited:

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm from Washington State but live in Ohio. I miss home. I miss the rain and the year round verdure that accompanied it. I miss getting caught in a cool rain shower--getting completely drenched, then taking a hot bath and drinking a warm cup of tea.
I miss the summers home where the temperature hardly ever got above the high 80's, and when it wouldn't get dark till after 9:00 p.m. I also miss my fellow Washingtonians, and the peaceful anonymity we all seem to share. I hate that weed is legal there, but not here. Fuck Ohio! I should have never left home.

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If you were born in a westbubble fuck state or location of course you more likely trying to move away from that environment.. If you live in poverty, bad neighborhood, shitty job opportunities, bad advance educational areas of course you more likely trying to run as far as hell from location... But if you live in states, areas with a shitload of options for advancement in life you more likely to stay.. This is nature at its finest , migration, why animals move why animals stay, why animals adapt... There's a lot of wack as s places in America and unfortunately as a child you can't juss pick up and move you have to tolerate situations until you're old enough to do so

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
I was happy to get the fuck out of Oklahoma, should have left sooner.

Had I been smart I would have listened to my parents and left as soon as I graduated high school.

Living close to home does have benefits though, especially if you have children that could use an additional support system.

I don't miss shit about Oklahoma besides the food.

the_male_feminist

BANNED
Registered
This is one of the ways wealth is built. Staying close to parents esp. if they leaving you the house.

Mexicans will shack up 8 deep in a house. Everyone paying splitting up rent and bills.

The Rothschild international banking family had their entire family stay house called Hinterpfann.

They split up and came back together to work inside the family business.

This is how you make wealth.

Most black sistas and brothers recieve no inheritance upon turning 18. They enter the world with just ambition and told to leave and start from scratch.

Whites they became the richest family in the world by not leaving the nest.

When black people have 4 kids all 4 kids may have a different Profession.

With rich whites they all in the family business . So if your father was a lawyer guess what you gonna be a lawyer and all 4 of your brothers are too. And yall build and make a law firm together.

When we rich blacks have a family 1 might be a doctor the other a nfl qb the other a professor at msu......so these a different occupations. No one to continue in the family business.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
This is one of the ways wealth is built. Staying close to parents esp. if they leaving you the house.

Mexicans will shack up 8 deep in a house. Everyone paying splitting up rent and bills.

The Rothschild international banking family had their entire family stay house called Hinterpfann.

They split up and came back together to work inside the family business.

This is how you make wealth.

Most black sistas and brothers recieve no inheritance upon turning 18. They enter the world with just ambition and told to leave and start from scratch.

Whites they became the richest family in the world by not leaving the nest.

When black people have 4 kids all 4 kids may have a different Profession.

With rich whites they all in the family business . So if your father was a lawyer guess what you gonna be a lawyer and all 4 of your brothers are too. And yall build and make a law firm together.

When we rich blacks have a family 1 might be a doctor the other a nfl qb the other a professor at msu......so these a different occupations. No one to continue in the family business.

This is absolutely right.

That "moving out when you're 18" bs is a farce that only Americans, (black and white) subscribe to. Most other cultures keep the family bond strong and build together til everyone makes it and are good.

Time and time again, I see folks OBSESSED with "this is MY home", or "you living under MY roof" following the supposed path white CAC's built here.

Bs Economics.

The worse thing black folks in America have ever done was follow the footsteps of white people in this regard. Integration was truly detrimental and this is one of the biggest reasons why.

Destruction of family building and wealth.

Latinos got it right. Takes a village.

All said and done, I left and came back, bought and paid off my parents home and sold it for something bigger. Would've taken them years to finish without the added income.

Now they can relax.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Another take on this is financial. One may not not have the money and resources to move away and start fresh. And/or the parents may need additional assistance and care from the adult children. If you got extra paper, you can always sent money “back home” to care for parents. If not, you may need to be around.

Or YOU may need the occasional handout from family to make ends meet.

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
Well, moved around a lot as a military later diplomat family, other than that, I've always lived in Md. Living close to slim mama saved us a lot of $ in childcare costs though.

I hear ya.. Im in that situation right now, we take care of our grandkids while their parents work.. Its a good deal for us, we get to connect with our little ones. The little ones might not remember spending all their times with us, when they get older. But, they will know their connected to us and wont even know why!! If I had one wish, that would be to have all my family member living in the same city, just different locations!! Sum people might not know it, but families(good or bad) are what makes us tick.. As my grandma would say you can pick just about everything in this world, but you cant pick your family!! Even the bad family members play a big part in your life!! Believe it or not!!

Good reply, bruh

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
I have lived in 5 states. Traveled to world. Can’t relate to people who haven’t or don’t want to see other shit.

Bruh, your right.. Ive lived in 4 states during my time on this earth and might move to another state soon.. I know many kats that have never left the location they were born in.. I grew up in denver and I know guys that have never been to the mountains!! Unbelievable, when you think about it!! The only way you grow, is moving away from your family and friends!! Thats just the way, I see it!!

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hometown no, home state yeah. I live within 20 minutes of where my mother lives and have since I moved out in my own in 94..., and especially now that she's older I'm glad I do. Shit happens and shit has already happened and being able to get over there relatively fast gives me peace of mind.

No shade on people that live far away... When my father and brother were still alive it wouldn't be a big thing for me, but it's just me and her from my immediate family now and if some shit went down and I was living in Oakland or something and couldn't be there fast, I don't know if I'd get over that.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hear ya.. Im in that situation right now, we take care of our grandkids while their parents work.. Its a good deal for us, we get to connect with our little ones. The little ones might not remember spending all their times with us, when they get older. But, they will know their connected to us and wont even know why!! If I had one wish, that would be to have all my family member living in the same city, just different locations!! Sum people might not know it, but families(good or bad) are what makes us tick.. As my grandma would say you can pick just about everything in this world, but you cant pick your family!! Even the bad family members play a big part in your life!! Believe it or not!!

Good reply, bruh

Naw...not always true.. Family can and will fuck you over.. Depending on hierarchy.. If it ain't no big mamma or big daddy...putting shit down.. Ain't no family.. At least where I'm from.. Brah

the_male_feminist

BANNED
Registered

That "moving out when you're 18" bs is a farce that only Americans, (black and white) subscribe to. Most other cultures keep the family bond strong and build together til everyone makes it and are good.

Time and time again, I see folks OBSESSED with "this is MY home", or "you living under MY roof" following the supposed path white CAC's built here.

Bs Economics.

The worse thing black folks in America have ever done was follow the footsteps of white people in this regard. Integration was truly detrimental and this is one of the biggest reasons why.

All said and done, I left and came back, bought and paid off my parents home and sold it for something bigger. Would've taken them years to finish without the added income.

Now they can relax.
It does take a village and this concept of being independent is deeply inbeeded into us. Every independent person i know off social media and in real life are miserable. Being independent is expensive.

The thing "you living under my roof" is odd esp if the person is paying bills under your roof. Really the title or house may be in your name but it also is theirs as well. It is just like a nba team has a majority owner but other people may have stock in the team. Maybe the stock maybe small maybe bigger but a shareholder owns part of the share he or she invests in. This becomes more prevalent when the majority owner now has less of the ownership.

WWE chief share holder is still vincd McMahon. But there are other share holders that have investments and also hold voting power within "his" company.

I have had that attitude when letting someone live with me that "this is my house"lost my job and had to humble myself because now the person im living with took upon the tab and paid and picked up my share. Ill never forget that it was a humbling experience im just glad that friend is my friend till this day and he forgives me for that.

Everyone wants to live the american dream esp blacks and whites. Who wants to continue in the family business if the family business is a restaurant and you are the top ranked point guard coming out of your state with potential to make .millions.

Who wants to sacrafice their own career choices to carry on the family legacy?

Not even considering that the family restaurant can become a multi million dollar food chain with businesses around south east if you just stick to it.

Mcdonalds wasnt made over night. It takes generations of family members investing into the family busiess. Bro some white people will work at a coney island out here in detroit and live in their. :itsawrap:

Got a whole nother room with a laptop and a fucking bed driving in a 2016 car.

Thats wealth building. Cant build shit if you rushed out your house at 18 and rack up debt to go to school.....oh and so many of us get credit cards at 18 and then go on a splurging spree.

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
Naw...not always true.. Family can and will fuck you over.. Depending on hierarchy.. If it ain't no big mamma or big daddy...putting shit down.. Ain't no family.. At least where I'm from.. Brah

No doubt, I understand what your saying!! Im not saying every family is on sum cosby shit!! Im just saying in the big picture, even the bad ones play have a purpose!! What that purpose is I dont know, but they are a part of you!!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I’ve stayed 25 miles within my area so this rings very true to me. All my family is here (been here for over 200 years), great schools and education, which piped-lined me right into a local university as a professor. Raising my daughter, I have been able to keep my family stable financially and lifestyle wise. I also have land in my inheritance.

I’ve travelled around the country and visited big cities. I’ve experienced other cultures and lifestyles. No other state/city is desirable for me to want to live in at the moment. California and NYC would do me well for what I’m trying to accomplish in life, but I’m determined to do that from a distance. Not living there.

I figured if I want to experience other stuff, I’ll just travel their. Home for me will always be NC.

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
Hometown no, home state yeah. I live within 20 minutes of where my mother lives and have since I moved out in my own in 94..., and especially now that she's older I'm glad I do. Shit happens and shit has already happened and being able to get over there relatively fast gives me peace of mind.

No shade on people that live far away... When my father and brother were still alive it wouldn't be a big thing for me, but it's just me and her from my immediate family now and if some shit went down and I was living in Oakland or something and couldn't be there fast, I don't know if I'd get over that.

I know what you mean.. I live 7hrs from my mom and one sister lives in the same city as her.. If my sister would up and move, I dont know what I would do!! Aint no way Im going to let my mom live in the city all alone!!

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
I’ve stayed 25 miles within my area so this rings very true to me. All my family is here (been here for over 200 years), great schools and education, which piped-lined me right into a local university as a professor. Raising my daughter, I have been able to keep my family stable financially and lifestyle wise. I also have land in my inheritance.

I’ve travelled around the country and visited big cities. I’ve experienced other cultures and lifestyles. No other state/city is desirable for me to want to live in at the moment. California and NYC would do me well for what I’m trying to accomplish in life, but I’m determined to do that from a distance. Not living there.

I figured if I want to experience other stuff, I’ll just travel their. Home for me will always be NC.

Thats what Im talking about.. Good for you and your family!!

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a rolling stone. Didn't grow up with my mother and left my father's house the day after I graduated high school.

roots69

Support BGOL
Registered
If I was a single guy with no kids, I’d be all over the place easily.

But I took the stability route and I settled down in my mid 20s.

Aint nothing wrong with settling down!!

My whole family is spread out all over this country. We started off all in the same city and jobs options opened up for sum of us and we split up.. Now that our grandma has passed away, we will never get back together!! Sad truth!! Anyway, enjoy every second and minute your around your family!!

Last edited:

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It does take a village and this concept of being independent is deeply inbeeded into us. Every independent person i know off social media and in real life are miserable. Being independent is expensive.

The thing "you living under my roof" is odd esp if the person is paying bills under your roof. Really the title or house may be in your name but it also is theirs as well. It is just like a nba team has a majority owner but other people may have stock in the team. Maybe the stock maybe small maybe bigger but a shareholder owns part of the share he or she invests in. This becomes more prevalent when the majority owner now has less of the ownership.

WWE chief share holder is still vincd McMahon. But there are other share holders that have investments and also hold voting power within "his" company.

I have had that attitude when letting someone live with me that "this is my house"lost my job and had to humble myself because now the person im living with took upon the tab and paid and picked up my share. Ill never forget that it was a humbling experience im just glad that friend is my friend till this day and he forgives me for that.

Everyone wants to live the american dream esp blacks and whites. Who wants to continue in the family business if the family business is a restaurant and you are the top ranked point guard coming out of your state with potential to make .millions.

Who wants to sacrafice their own career choices to carry on the family legacy?

Not even considering that the family restaurant can become a multi million dollar food chain with businesses around south east if you just stick to it.

Mcdonalds wasnt made over night. It takes generations of family members investing into the family busiess. Bro some white people will work at a coney island out here in detroit and live in their. :itsawrap:

Got a whole nother room with a laptop and a fucking bed driving in a 2016 car.

Thats wealth building. Cant build shit if you rushed out your house at 18 and rack up debt to go to school.....oh and so many of us get credit cards at 18 and then go on a splurging spree.
A lot of truth.
If you choose a good mate and have a stable household, wealth building is easier.

Also have an heir and a spare. lol

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I moved, but the support system that I had in my hometown makes me wish I brought them with me! Daycare is expensive and nobody is gonna care for my kids like my mother and father (mother is a teacher and has a masters in early childhood development) Brothers and sisters who have kids (cousins/other black kids) their age to play with. My aunts and uncles to aide in babysitting tasks.

Once you're out on your own with technology today the "support system" is a few clicks away, but once you have kids that is a game changer

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I left the nest early (at 17). Pops was a prick growing up, he always instilled independence in me, the whole "if yu wan tu mek yu owna rules, yu need yu owna place". I lived within 25 miles of my parents for 20+ years. Been out of NY for 12 years, I'm cool with not being in close proximity.

the_male_feminist

BANNED
Registered
Our forefather Jacob served 14 years living under the household of his father inlaw with his wife and kids.

*[[Gen 29:20]] KJV* And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.

7 for rachel and 7 more for leah.
*[[Gen 29:27]] KJV* Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.

That is 14 years. In those 14 years Laban his father in law got so much money he didnt even want Jacob to leave.

*[[Gen 30:27]] KJV* And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.

*[[Gen 30:30]] KJV* For it was little which thou hadst before I came, and it is now increased unto a multitude; and the LORD hath blessed thee since my coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also?

Both got rich from building together.

Jacob also dwelt in the land of his father
*[[Gen 37:1]] KJV* And Jacob dwelt in the land wherein his father was a stranger, in the land of Canaan.

And it wasnt until he and his family left into egypt that their family started suffering

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
This is why Americans are so goddamn ignorant because the majority of them have never seen anything beyond their own block. This is the exact reason why they're so easily manipulated and racist. People that travel have a different outlook on the world. Great thread

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator

Bs Economics.

Now they can relax.

If you have never been told how to hold onto wealth, or if you have rented your whole life it won't matter if you stay together. It will just be a house full of broke miserable muthafuckas.

My family example. Great Gramps was a WWI vet and used that to buy a house in Cali. My family lived there and chipped in. My great uncles got sick so moms held it down with the bills and cooking while her brother went out fucking/wifing white broads. When Great gramps passed, they left the house to her alone cause nobody else held it down.

So recently my deadbeat ass cousin who's the eldest was popping off like this was the "family" house. Nah baby, since I was a little boy I went there and cleaned up, painted and repaired the property between tenants so I have sweat equity in this. You have none. I'm not going to support people with no drive simply because we have a common ancestor.

My wife's family is the opposite. A bunch of fucking grown babies living off of Momma. None of them own their own home and when mom passes there will be a mad scramble between 4 kids for 2 properties. I can't really blame them though, moms didn't have a husband and had to spend time working to provide and the kids missed out on a balanced life. So they were sheltered and protected to the point that when they go out to eat, they still expect moms to pay for them and their children.

So yeah it takes a village, but a shitty village will just create more shitty people. Sometimes you have to leave the shit and create your own.