LeVar Burton wants Jeopardy producers to know he's the best person to host - SIGN THE PETITION! UPDATE: LeVar says 'the fix was in'

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
227979630_6288491357835606_7767652230274935211_n.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Might be bullshit but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

You know shows like that host be getting 25m + manually after a while.

Whelp...

Good luck with that

I'm out.

My kids can watch the old ones on Netflix and hulu.

Bluelaser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Levar Burton as an actor, author, director and host of a children shows and advocator of english literacy for children.
But in my opinion the executive producer of that show is the best out all of the guest host post Trebeck this man is the best
in my opinion.
My second choice would be Robin Robinson she did a very good job as host.

It was good to see Levar Burton hosting Jeopardy but Unfortunately Levar Burton looked to be very nervous like a deer in headlights.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh God, That Random Jeopardy! Host Front-Runner Is Apparently a ‘Done Deal’
By Bethy Squires

b0bba12d8b09c218c1ba384f8a7eb11240-mike-richards.rsquare.w330.jpg

Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage

Some guy who isn’t LeVar Burton is in advanced negotiations to become the permanent host of Jeopardy! The guy in question, according to Variety, is Mike Richards. Richards is already an executive producer on the show, and has hosted other reality and game shows before this. One of his first hosting gigs was on the CW’s Beauty and the Geek, so we know he’s got the nerd bona fides. Richards has also hosted Divided and The Pyramid for GSN. A Sony Pictures spokesman told the trade mag that discussions are still going with several candidates, and that no final decisions have been made. After Alex Trebek’s final episodes aired in January of 2021, a slew of replacement hosts have stood behind the podium. They include Burton, Jeopardy! vets Ken Jennings and Buzzy Cohen, Katie Couric, Anderson Cooper, Mayim Bialik, and Celebrity Jeopardy! winner/Disney adult/footballer Aaron Rodgers.

Update, August 5: Well, those holding out hope that advanced negotiations meant “there’s still time for Jeopardy! to get its damn act together” will be disappointed by this new report from CNN: Mike Richards is “effectively a done deal” as the show’s new host. Sources told CNN that Richards is expected to start his hosting tenure in September, when the new season begins; he will be formally announced later this month by production studio Sony Pictures Television.

Interestingly, CNN pointed to an interview that Richards himself gave to B+C/Multichannel News back in May, where he explained how Jeopardy! was approaching its host-search process. “We aren’t looking for a three-year host, we’re looking for a ten-year or a 20-year host,” he explained. “Stability is one of the show’s strengths, so we need to consider who’s got a 20-year horizon and who can focus on the show and make it great over that time.”

:hmm:

Cool that Richards has all that faith in himself!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jeopardy host frontrunner Mike Richards says Price Is Right lawsuit doesn't 'reflect the reality of who I am'

The prime contender to take over the Jeopardy podium has sent a memo to staffers addressing his past.
By Nick Romano
August 09, 2021 at 01:34 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:23
04:13

Mike Richards, the reported frontrunner to take over as the permanent host of Jeopardy, has addressed the Price Is Right lawsuit involving him that resurfaced last week on social media and in the press.
According to a memo obtained by EW sent to the staff of Jeopardy, where he serves as executive producer, Richards said, "The way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price Is Right."
Mike Richards guest-hosting 'Jeopardy'

| CREDIT: CAROL KAELSON/JEOPARDY PRODUCTIONS
Richards worked as an executive producer on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal before joining Jeopardy after executive producer Harry Friedman stepped down. He guest-hosted the game show back in February, and Variety has since named him as the prime contender in the search to fill the role of the late Alex Trebek.

EW has be unable to confirm the report, and Sony Television declined to comment on the matter at the time. However, Richards stated in the memo, "I was asked if I would consider hosting the show. I was humbled and deeply honored. No final decisions have been made and discussions with me and other potential hosts are still ongoing. I know I have mentioned this to you all before, but the choice on this is not my decision and never has been. Throughout this search, Sony's top priority has always been to continue the incredible legacy you and Alex built."
In the weeks since, Richards' past has resurfaced. In 2012, Price Is Right model Brandi Cochran won a discrimination lawsuit filed against the show. She alleged the producers at FremantleMedia North America and The Price Is Right Productions discriminated against her for being pregnant.
Richards was named in the suit, per The Hollywood Reporter, and apparently said, "Go figure, I fire five models. What are the odds one of the ones that I keep gets pregnant?"

"I want to address the complicated employment issues raised in the press during my time at The Price Is Right 10 years ago," Richards wrote in the memo sent this week. "These were allegations made in employment disputes against the show. I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price Is Right. I know firsthand how special it is to be a parent. It is the most important thing in the world to me. I would not say anything to disrespect anyone's pregnancy and have always supported my colleagues on their parenting journeys."
He continued, "I am very proud of my time on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal. During my tenure, our female cast members welcomed seven beautiful children. We embraced and celebrated each pregnancy and birth both in front of and behind the camera. It was a joy to watch their families grow and highlight their happiness as part of the show."
Read the full memo below.
Team Jeopardy!
Recently, Jeopardy!, our host search and the possibility of me hosting has been all over the news. I want to take a moment so that you can hear directly from me. The last year has been the most challenging in the history of the show. I know we are all still dealing with the loss of our hero, Alex, while at the same time continuing to produce amazing shows for our millions of fans through the pandemic. Our success over that time with our guest-host rotation, including the more than $3 million we raised for charities, is a singular achievement and a testament to your talent and dedication. I've produced a lot of television over the years, and I could not be more impressed with team Jeopardy!
It is true that I was asked if I would consider hosting the show. I was humbled and deeply honored. No final decisions have been made and discussions with me and other potential hosts are still ongoing. I know I have mentioned this to you all before, but the choice on this is not my decision and never has been. Throughout this search, Sony's top priority has always been to continue the incredible legacy you and Alex built. As you know, Alex always believed the game itself and the contestants are the most important aspects of the show, and that will continue to be the guiding principle as the decision is finalized.
I want to address the complicated employment issues raised in the press during my time at The Price is Right ten years ago. These were allegations made in employment disputes against the show. I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price is Right. I know firsthand how special it is to be a parent. It is the most important thing in the world to me. I would not say anything to disrespect anyone's pregnancy and have always supported my colleagues on their parenting journeys.
I am very proud of my time on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal. During my tenure, our female cast members welcomed seven beautiful children. We embraced and celebrated each pregnancy and birth both in front of and behind the camera. It was a joy to watch their families grow and highlight their happiness as part of the show.
For us, I realize there is a lot going on right now as we ramp up for the new season. Please do not hesitate to reach out of you have any questions or concerns.
It is truly an honor to get to work with all of you to produce this amazing show, and I look forward to the days ahead as we get back into production.
Mike

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mike Richards Addresses Jeopardy! Host Rumors, Insists It’s Not a Dick Cheney Scenario
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax
Photo: Carol Kaelson/Jeaopardy Productions

Mike Richards, a man who’s currently the executive producer of Jeopardy! and public enemy No. 1 among viewers, has broken his silence about being the reported front-runner to replace Alex Trebek as host of the show. In a statement sent to Jeopardy! staffers on August 9 that has since been obtained by several entertainment journalists, Richards confirmed that, indeed, he’s emerged as a serious host contender. However, he refutes the claims that he has any power in appointing himself the position, as memorably executed years ago in the 2000 vice-presidential search and the hit NBC dramedy God Cop. “It is true that I was asked if I would consider hosting the show. I was humbled and deeply honored. No final decisions have been made and discussions with me and other potential hosts are still ongoing. I know I have mentioned this to you all before, but the choice on this is not my decision and never has been,” Richards wrote. “As you know, Alex always believed the game itself and the contestants are the most important aspects of the show, and that will continue to be the guiding principle as the decision is finalized.”

Richards also addressed the “complicated employment issues” that have made waves in the press following rumors of his host ascension: In 2011, he was embroiled in a sexual-harassment lawsuit while working as a producer on The Price Is Right, although he was dismissed as a defendant before a settlement was reached. In 2010, a Price Is Right model also listed Richards in a lawsuit that alleged she was fired from the show due to pregnancy. A judge sided with the show in 2012, citing insufficient evidence. “I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price Is Right,” Richards wrote. “I know firsthand how special it is to be a parent. It is the most important thing in the world to me. I would not say anything to disrespect anyone’s pregnancy and have supported my colleagues on their parenting journeys.”

Richards concluded his statement by sharing excitement about “the days ahead as we get back into production.” Should he become the next host of Jeopardy!, he’ll beat out more popular (and recognizable) names that include Ken Jennings, LeVar Burton, and, well, every other guest host.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahaitian they could’ve given him the 2nd slot

Nah...

They HAD to get a woman on there or they would have gotten slaughtered.

Simple solution?

Have a children's Jeopardy

on Disney +

With Lavar Burton as host

and allow PBS to get access after the entire season airs.

Done.

Everyone is happy.

Cause as presently planned?

I ain't going out if my way to support, if I catch it cool.

Shout out to Blossom though.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nah...

They HAD to get a woman on there or they would have gotten slaughtered.

Simple solution?

Have a children's Jeopardy

on Disney +

With Lavar Burton as host

and allow PBS to get access after the entire season airs.

Done.

Everyone is happy.

Cause as presently planned?

I ain't going out if my way to support, if I catch it cool.

Shout out to Blossom though.

Yo @dik cashmere I just told a few folks this idea and they loving it.

I want to tweet it out but I swear they gonna steal it.

But then I'm like...

After every thing Lavar given US?

I should send this out off GP

Spoke

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have nothing against the show, it's cool and I'm kind of glad LeVar didn't win the position.....CAUSE I WASN'T GOING TO WATCH IT ANYWAY!!!!!
:giggle: I don't care much for game shows.

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The fix was in from the very start. The intention was always for Mike Richards to name himself host. I honestly think the show even went as far as to setup Twitter bots to root for him as permanent host because I definitely saw an odd uptick of "fan" support online, especially considering the fact that no one has ever heard of this guy. After the announcement went out last week, there was an immediate backlash on Twitter that got so bad that people started to dig into Richards past and found all the lawsuits from his shady behavior on other game shows so they had to do something.

The selection of Mayim Bialik was really a last minute afterthought, meant to mitigate the damage from Mike's self-appointment. Notice they keep characterizing this as two hosts hired who will split time on the show, when it's very clear that Mayim will only be involved in a limited capacity for Jeopardy special events, which they have maybe 5 of those per year. It's bullshit, we'll see if fans tune out over the fuckery or not.

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They keep digging a deeper hole now that everyone has complained about the new host. So now the story is that they wanted Mayim Bialik to host the show but she was unavailable. Bullshit, if you look at all of the guest hosts they lined up pretty much all of them have a regular gig that would have prevented them from hosting a daily game show. And I know they film multiple episodes per day, but still, most of the hosts only did so as fans of the show not real contenders for the job. That's why the Levar Burton thing kinda forced their hand because he actually didn't have anything else booked really so he could have taken over hosting duties full time.

Notice that only after Twitter campaigned and insisted did they add Levar Burton to the roster but then they sabotaged him by putting him on during the first week of the Olympics. In certain markets, Jeopardy airs on NBC, so in those markets Levar got preempted most days.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Sorry, LeVar Burton fans: Sony did not offer him a production deal

The actor's spokesperson was forced to release a statement after false rumors spread about Burton's future with the company that produces Jeopardy.
By Lynette Rice
August 14, 2021 at 01:36 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:41
04:13

After Mike Richards was named the new host of Jeopardy, a spokesperson for LeVar Burton released an unusual statement announcing that her 64-year-old client has not entered negotiations with Sony Pictures Entertainment for a production deal. It seems someone had begun spreading a rumor that Sony, the company that produces Jeopardy, was trying to figure out a new role for Burton after he was passed over for the hosting job.
"There is no truth to this at all," the spokesperson said. "None whatsoever. Everyone has been misled, unfortunately. Perhaps some minion chatter."
LeVar Burton on 'Jeopardy'

| CREDIT: CAROL KAELSON/JEOPARDY PRODUCTIONS, INC
Or perhaps it was wishful thinking that Sony realized the error of its ways? The fact that Richards got the hosting job came as a huge disappointment for fans, many of whom followed up last week's announcement with calls to boycott Jeopardy or to find an even better gig for Burton. Among his biggest advocates was director Ava Duvernay who tweeted, "Me trying to create a show right in this moment for @levarburton to host and make an international hit."

Sources confirm that Burton was definitely under consideration for the hosting gig, even though it now appears that it was always Richards' job to lose. Richards is an executive producer on the syndicated game show and was initially tasked with finding a replacement for the late Alex Trebek – until he became a contender himself. It's certainly a dream gig – the New York Times reports the host works two days a week, two weeks a month for a rich, seven-figure salary. Trebek's salary was reportedly north of $16 million but Richards is apparently nowhere near that amount, the NYT added.
So why did Sony go with the unknown Richards and not a famous figure like Burton or even Mayim Bialik, who got the consolation prize of hosting primetime specials? Some suggest the host's celebrity shouldn't upstage the players and their race to win cash.
"The game is the star and the contestants are the stars," John Podhoretz, a 1987 quarterfinalist in the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions, told the NYT. "The host should be the secondary figure."

But in the course of one week, Richards has already become famous – or infamous, rather. In 2012, Price Is Right model Brandi Cochran alleged the producers at FremantleMedia North America and The Price Is Right Productions discriminated against her for being pregnant. "Go figure, I fire five models," Richards reportedly said at the time. What are the odds one of the ones that I keep gets pregnant?" Cochran won the discrimination lawsuit.
"I want to address the complicated employment issues raised in the press during my time at The Price Is Right 10 years ago," Richards wrote in a memo sent to staff last week that was obtained by EW. "These were allegations made in employment disputes against the show. I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price Is Right. I know firsthand how special it is to be a parent. It is the most important thing in the world to me. I would not say anything to disrespect anyone's pregnancy and have always supported my colleagues on their parenting journeys."
He continued, "I am very proud of my time on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal. During my tenure, our female cast members welcomed seven beautiful children. We embraced and celebrated each pregnancy and birth both in front of and behind the camera. It was a joy to watch their families grow and highlight their happiness as part of the show."
No matter what happens with Richards and the future of Jeopardy, Burton certainly stands to benefit from all the fan support. He said as much via Twitter after the news about Richards was announced.
"I have said many times over these past weeks that no matter the outcome, I've won," the star of Roots, Reading Rainbow, and Star Trek tweeted. "The outpouring of love and support from family, friends, and fans alike has been incredible! If love is the ultimate blessing and I believe that it is, I am truly blessed beyond measure."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
John Oliver Would Like to Speak to Jeopardy!’s Manager
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax

55554ca8e1e8ea64cb5c6590cafd44d383-john-oliver-mike-richards.rsquare.w330.jpg

Photo-Illustration: Vulture. Photos: HBO; Sony Pictures Television
Who is Mike Richards? No, really, that’s not a clue answer. Can somebody please tell us who the hell Mike Cheney Richards is? We’re displeased to inform you that he’s the new host of Jeopardy! and begins his era as Alex Trebek’s replacement next month, bumping himself up from the show’s executive producer in the process. John Oliver got wind of Richards’s questionable ascent into the game show world on Sunday’s Last Week Tonight, offering this comment about the man who’s become public enemy number one on social media.

“It is genuinely hard to imagine a five word phrase less welcome than ‘we know who you are,’” Oliver said. “Aside from obviously ‘new Jeopardy! host Mike Richards.’” Also joining Richards as a Jeopardy! host is Mayim Bialik, who will be the face of new primetime and spinoff series as the franchise aims to expand its scholarly reach. Relatedly, we’ve checked in with Seinfeld Current Day and there are zero Kramer host jokes.