Kool & The Gang vs. Cameo - If you had to pick one? (I know...blasphema thread)

Kool & The Gang vs Cameo

• Kool & The Gang

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Cameo

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
cameo-band-85d72114-b288-4404-91a9-37a501647e0-resize-750.jpeg

or

The-Kool-And-The-Gang-bassist-Robert-Kool-Bell-813224.jpg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'd HAVE to go KATG becuz if discographies was Uno and hits were the reverse/wild/pick cards...IMO Kool would have more of those than cameo

Cameo hits (that I know of and think the most about)
Word Up
Single Life
Candy
Back And Forth

Kool and the Gang hits (that I know of and think the most about)
Fresh
Get Down On it
Cherish
Ladies Night

(not done yet....)
Summer Madness
Jungle Boogie
Too Hot
Joanna

(still not done yet....)
Take My Heart
Lets Go Dancing
Misled
Funky Stuff

If we were playing Uno that and I was playing for Kool and the Gang that shit would be like TAKE 4, REVERSE, TAKE 2, WILD, REVERSE, TAKE 4, WILD....BAM BAM BAM!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

at least thats MY take on it...

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Depends on which version of each group you're talking about, because they changed so dramatically, you're almost talking about four different groups. The earlier, jazzier, funkier, pre-J.T. Taylor Kool & The Gang trumps the 80s pop group, in my opinion. Also, the original Cameo -- the Wayne Cooper, Leftenant Brothers, killer horn section version of Cameo was FAR better than that 80s/90s three-man synth/pop setup.

Early Cameo had one of the most underrated, unappreciated horn sections ever.

All things considered, I'd give a very slight nod to early Kool & The Gang.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
Depends on which version of each group you're talking about, because they changed so dramatically, you're almost talking about four different groups. The earlier, jazzier, funkier, pre-J.T. Taylor Kool & The Gang trumps the 80s pop group, in my opinion. Also, the original Cameo -- the Wayne Cooper, Leftenant Brothers, killer horn section version of Cameo was FAR better than that 80s/90s three-man synth/pop setup.

EXACTLY! They ARE like 4 different groups, which makes the comparison so interesting...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Thats the PURIST argument :giggle: :giggle:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cameo because I know more about them than Kool n gang,plus my older brother is a huge Cameo fan.

Someone posted a video and the lead singer is still wearing that joc strap and that high top hair style,gut and all."Every little thing you dooo,makes me smile..." was cameo ahead of the r&b rap?Teddy Riley?like the Gap Band

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
I'd HAVE to go KATG becuz if discographies was Uno and hits were the reverse/wild/pick cards...IMO Kool would have more of those than cameo

Word Up
Single Life
Candy
Back And Forth

Fresh
Get Down On it
Cherish
Ladies Night

(not done yet....)
Summer Madness
Jungle Boogie
Too Hot
Joanna

(still not done yet....)
Take My Heart
Lets Go Dancing
Misled
Funky Stuff

If we were playing Uno that and I was playing for Kool and the Gang that shit would be like TAKE 4, REVERSE, TAKE 2, WILD, REVERSE, TAKE 4, WILD....BAM BAM BAM!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

:cmonson:You don't really know Cameo's music if all you can list is 4 tracks. What about Sparkle, Back and Forth, She's Strange? Those are off the top of my head.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:cmonson:You don't really know Cameo's music if all you can list is 4 tracks. What about Sparkle, Back and Forth, She's Strange? Those are off the top of my head.
look at my list again...and you listed just two more songs than I had...still doesn't compare with KATG's list of hits...sorry :dunno:

DWBass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cameo had the better bass player but Kool & The Gang had way more hits/crossover hits. Loved their early stuff as well long before JT joined the band! The horn section on Open Sesame and Funky Stuff...........insane!

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

Word Up
Single Life
Candy
Back And Forth

Fresh
Get Down On it
Cherish
Ladies Night

(not done yet....)
Summer Madness
Jungle Boogie
Too Hot
Joanna

(still not done yet....)
Take My Heart
Lets Go Dancing
Misled
Funky Stuff

No disrepect. But if those are the only hits you are naming for Cameo, you do not know music.

Kool and the Gang became more commercial and Cameo always stayed a "black" band.

So, here is another piece of info about me, I marched in a marching band. So, the marching band soul in me loves both groups because we played music from both. They made some of the best HBCU marching band standards that are still played regularly today.

Last edited:

BlkStrength

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kool and the gang got some all time classics but cameo's catelog runs deep.

Can't believe no one brought up the HBCU all time favorites....
Neck( talking out the side of your neck)

and my all time favorite

Not sure Katg has anything to beat this.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No disrepect. But if those are the only hits you are naming for Cameo, you do not know music.

Kool and the Gang became more commercial and Cameo always stayed a "black" band.

So, here is another piece of info about me, I marched in a marching band. So, the matching band soul in me loves both groups because we played music from both. They made some of the best HBCU marching band standards that are still played regularly today.
that's ALWAYS been the knock on the Kool and the Gang.....white people like Celebration and suddenly KATG are a bunch of sell-outs. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: come on... yes they got a lead singer and evolved their sound because that instrumental heavy funk sound was done by the late 70s. All the heaviest funk bands from the 70s didn't make it to the 80s hits wise and if they did its because they changed up too. Adapt or die (or become an oldies act which is what all those other funk bands did).

Last edited: