Kool & The Gang vs. Cameo - If you had to pick one? (I know...blasphema thread)

Kool & The Gang vs Cameo

• Kool & The Gang

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Cameo

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters

Tito_Jackson

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
that's ALWAYS been the knock on the Kool and the Gang.....white people like Celebration and suddenly KATG are a bunch of sell-outs. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: come on... yes they got a lead singer and evolved their sound because that instrumental heavy funk sound was done by the late 70s. All the heaviest funk bands from the 70s didn't make it to the 80s hits wise. Adapt or die (or become an oldies act which is what all those other funk bands did).
Wait a minute. I am a KATG fan. I never said they were sellouts. Becoming commercial isn't a bad thing. But, by doing so you do leave your core and roots somewhat. They both are legends. They just went in different directions.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
:smh:

You trippin bruh, you trippin!

This is shit right here??!?!????

I love rigor mortis, the chromatic walkdown is cool, but you trippin!!
funky stuff is dope, but it sounds too much like everything else that came out around then. this could almost be an AWB song.

Nothing sounds like rigor mortis, or flirt, or candy. it's like Cameo hit that perfect Sweet spot between funkadelic and the gap band.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Wait a minute. I am a KATG fan. I never said they were sellouts. Becoming commercial isn't a bad thing. But, by doing so you do leave your core and roots somewhat. They both are legends. They just went in different directions.
I'm a big believer in the idea that great bands only create music for their 10,000 biggest fans (AKA, the people who will spend at least $100 a year on their merch, records, and concert tickets). If everybody else jumps on the bandwagon then great! You have a hit. If everyone else hates it then great! You just made a million bucks.

Selling out IMO is when you completely abandon those 10,000 fans in order to satisfy the bandwagon. every best-selling artist does this to some extent, but Kool & the gang definitely did it more than cameo did.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Thats $1 mil gross, after u take out all the overhead and taxes and split among band members its not much left

I'm a big believer in the idea that great bands only create music for their 10,000 biggest fans (AKA, the people who will spend at least $100 a year on their merch, records, and concert tickets). If everybody else jumps on the bandwagon then great! You have a hit. If everyone else hates it then great! You just made a million bucks.

Selling out IMO is when you completely abandon those 10,000 fans in order to satisfy the bandwagon. every best-selling artist does this to some extent, but Kool & the gang definitely did it more than cameo did.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Thats $1 mil gross, after u take out all the overhead and taxes and split among band members its not much left
even if that money's not in your pocket the moment you make a million dollars for someone they're going to let you eat until the next project.

Also, that one million dollars is a worst case scenario. More than likely each of those 10,000 fans will have gotten at least one or two friends halfway on board

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
Both bands were and still are incredible.
I'll never choose between them.
These two joints alone sent everyone back to the drawing board :

DWBass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No doubt Cameo was baddass! They had a lot of really good music. Mostly on the R&B charts though. They had a few crossover hits but KATG had way more.

keith6

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No doubt Cameo was baddass! They had a lot of really good music. Mostly on the R&B charts though. They had a few crossover hits but KATG had way more.

Since when does success mean white people like your music. That means you're prolly whack. R&B please and is the standard

keith6

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They adapt
that's ALWAYS been the knock on the Kool and the Gang.....white people like Celebration and suddenly KATG are a bunch of sell-outs. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: come on... yes they got a lead singer and evolved their sound because that instrumental heavy funk sound was done by the late 70s. All the heaviest funk bands from the 70s didn't make it to the 80s hits wise and if they did its because they changed up too. Adapt or die (or become an oldies act which is what all those other funk bands did).
They adapted and died souless