Kool & The Gang vs. Cameo - If you had to pick one? (I know...blasphema thread)

Kool & The Gang vs Cameo

• Kool & The Gang

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Cameo

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Both groups were almost like two sides of the same coin.

Kool & The Gang started in 1969/1970 with James Brown styled funk fused with Jazz.

Cameo came out right before J.T. Taylor joined Kool & The Gang.

Kool & The Gang had a song on a Disco movie soundtrack.

Cameo had a song on a Disco movie soundtrack.

Kool & The Gang went in a Pop direction in the 1980's.

Cameo went in a Rock/New Wave direction in the 1980's.

Both groups were trying to crossover to different(mainly White) markets.

Kool & The Gang wanted AC/Pop/Top 40 hits.

Cameo wanted Rock/MTV/Top 40 hits.

I think you're right about that. But with Cameo it was wayyyy more subtle and they didn't sacrifice funk or musical integrity.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I wasn't going for a chronological anthology of KATG's catalog or Cameo's. I mentioned songs by both groups that I found to be iconic that Geechie neglected to mention.

I'd be interested in hearing what other songs you would add to what I listed, especially since you appear to be of the generation before mine.

I'll have to go through the lps but Chocolate Buttermilk springs to mind. Man, that drum pattern by Funky George has been sampled to death. Almost as much as the Amen Beat.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I'll have to go through the lps but Chocolate Buttermilk springs to mind. Man, that drum pattern by Funky George has been sampled to death. Almost as much as the Amen Beat.
Appreciate it. I've definitely heard Chocolate Buttermilk but didn't know it by title. I'm gonna be exploring their earliest records.

Last edited:

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Don't forget, Kool & The Gang started to be produced by Eumir Deodato, a bigtime pop music producer. JT came aboard at the same time. Changed up the game for them.
Indeed. I loved the stuff they did during their period with Deodato. Quality music. Did you know their first choice for producer in 79' was Stevie Wonder but he was too busy to work with them? We can only speculate what that partnership could have birthed.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Earlier Kool and the gang were A LOT more Funk driven...the Pre James Taylor era..IMO they win

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
What musical integrity did they sacrifice??
That mid 80s pop crossover stuff ("Joanna", "Cherish the Love", etc). I wasn't into the Black crossover craze that temporarily took over Black radio circa 1994-1996 spearheaded by Lionel Richie ("Can't Slow Down") in the immediate aftermath of the success of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Prince's, "1999" and "Purple Rain".