John Madden dies @ 85

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of the first times I found out about a breaking news drag at the same time BGOL did, but I wanted to savor this one.

As someone who aspired to be in the league as a kid and young adult to now not watching the NFL much at all, John Madden was a huge reason I loved the game.

I never really gave it any thought until the video game came out on SNES that I watched the NFL just as much for his commentating as I did the game itself.

Great coach. Great commentator. Great visionary. Great human being.

Watch Skip & Shannon on FS1 when Skip tells the gut wrenching story of Darell Stingley and John Madden. Tear jerker if you let it.

Nooooooooow, it makes sense. I had no idea Jarret even played pro football, much less 3rd string QB for the Cowboys. That’s why Jerry gave him so much leash. He was a company hire. Turrible.
Rest in Peace
I know he coached and eventually the name meant more to the game but there was only a few guys
that you'd want to see commentate or do sportscasting or be involved over everybody else.

Madden, Stewart Scott, SVP on the old Sportscenter, Harry Caray, Vitalle, Costas at the olympics
You may have left him off because you may not consider him great, but there are few better than Marc Albert @ NBA playoff time.

Hearing his voice made me instantly hype.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yep, I don't know if you remember the Championship Edition that came out with all the super bowl winning teams I stole that from Blockbuster man told them I lost it lol. Had it months before they started to sell it....
Man we used to have some serious battles on Madden 93.
And you're spot on about Championship Edition.
You could only find that shit at Blockbuster.
And 95% of the time it was always rented out.
Those were the days.
I remember in Madden 92, that ambulance used to come in and run everybody over.
That shit was hilarious.

Last edited:

speed7

Star
BGOL Investor
EA is going to milk the fuck out of Coach Madden's death. There will be a super special edition with him on the cover that sells for twice as much. 2K did the same shit with Kobe. Legends dying= great marketing opportunity
Right. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a option for Madden commentary included with all the bells and whistles like the classic Madden games

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
EA is going to milk the fuck out of Coach Madden's death. There will be a super special edition with him on the cover that sells for twice as much. 2K did the same shit with Kobe. Legends dying= great marketing opportunity
They should honor Madden by making the game good again and feel original instead of a carbon copy of the last 7 games. But you are right.

So many memories of playing the game as a kid and so many memories of him calling big Bears games over the years as well.

R.I.P. John Madden.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Man we used to have some serious battles on Madden 93.
And you're spot on about Championship Edition.
You could only find that shit at Blockbuster.
And 95% of the time it was always rented out.
Those were the days.
I remember in Madden 92, that ambulance used to come in and run everybody over.
That shit was hilarious.

yep.
i also remember that ambulance sequence had a glitch , where it would sometimes pull off and forget to get the injured player off the field
it would remember and come back lol

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Glad they gave him his flowers with that All Madden doc on ESPN while he was here to see it. Read that he had a watch party with family and friends. R.I.P. to a timeless legend

I am watching now...

Very very well done. Format footage editing music etc

Probably gonna win an Emmy

That line up was insane they got EVERYONE

Especially the coaches

A must watch so far.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The documentary was great.I wish it was a little longer but I enjoyed it alot.

Just finished

I understand it was so overwhelmingly positive and up lifting

But yeah it could have delved deeper on the hall of fame delay, his actual coaching, his decision to retire, his unique announcing style, going to Fox, etc...

Oh and

Virginia Madden >>>>>>

OmariAmaru

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am watching now...

Very very well done. Format footage editing music etc

Probably gonna win an Emmy

That line up was insane they got EVERYONE

Especially the coaches

A must watch so far.
Bruh, throughly impressed how they did it. The love they showed from all sides of the game. Was truly revered and respected. Didnt let his fame and status get to him. Would chop it up with the everyday man. Knew he didn't fly but never knew the story until I saw the doc. Will truly be miss. The funeral gonna be standing room only.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Rest in peace.