I usually never give investment advice but....

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
I'm trying to get to the guts of the matter. For those of you whom are traders, why do you choose the stocks that you choose? Do you scan for stocks that meet a certain criteria?

For instance, it makes sense to me to choose a stock that is highly liquid if I want to be in a high probability trade. I would choose something like AAPL or GOOGL (stock) for a buy and hold strategy. They aren't as liquid as the SPY (option) though. By the SPY being so liquid there's always going to be a buyer/seller on the other side of my trade allowing me to get out and mitigate any potential losses.

If my logic is faulty, please point it out to me. I'm trying to learn something, no arrogance what so ever.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now here's my question: I can see why a person would buy a stock (at least in a buy and hold situation and for long term growth). But if a person is interested in "trading" and making money daily, weekly, and monthly; wouldn't it make more sense to purchase an option?
because you can trade daily as well. every trade doesnt have to be a longterm hold.
most of my trades are bought and sold within hours of me purchasing.
the only long term trade i have at the moment is NIO. i may swing some trades if it has the potential to increase over the next day or so.....
but daytrading is as profitable as options.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
It's all relative. Say you had 100k to invest and you bought stock A at $10 and it rose up to $12. And you sold it that same day. You just made $20K. That's a good look.

You could do a similar trade with options by purchasing 100 call option contracts at $2 and selling at $4. The initial trade would have been $20K, but you would have made $20K. If the option contracts doubled.

What's the difference? The amount of capital needed for the trades and the risk involved. You are less likely to lose a huge percentage of your investment just trading stocks. But with options, the likelihood is much greater due to the volatility. I've seen contracts lose 90% of their value in one day. And these are stable stocks like MSFT, APPL, etc.

You can make money with both paths. There is definitely more risk involved with Options.
Wouldn't you be better able to mitigate your losses with options using "spreads?"

I understand that once you buy a stock, you own it. It can gain value and it can lose value. I guess in a worse case scenario, a stock will always have some value even if it's $.01. Whereas an option can expire and be worthless.

In your scenario, you made 20% using the stock trade (100K invested). Using the option (20K invested), you made 100% though. Not being greedy, but I would like to risk less money and have a higher profit. At least in this particular instance.

Thank you for responding, Bro.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
NIO (Nov 13, 2020)

Above is a snapshot... Ok, here's what NIO did today. It hit a high of 54.2 and closed at 44.56. The bottom chart is volume. It had a high selling volume of close to 600 million shares. I'm not sure if anyone can explain this; but, wouldn't this be a great "short" candidate? If not, why not?

awax37

Star
Registered
NIO (Nov 13, 2020)

Above is a snapshot... Ok, here's what NIO did today. It hit a high of 54.2 and closed at 44.56. The bottom chart is volume. It had a high selling volume of close to 600 million shares. I'm not sure if anyone can explain this; but, wouldn't this be a great "short" candidate? If not, why not?
In my humble opinion, and I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in, NIO has been trending up the last 4 months. I wouldn't short just yet. Somewhere between 37 and 40 dollars looks like a level of support. Its been holding around there for a week. I wouldn't short unless it dropped below 37 and retested. Or I'd wait to see if it keeps going up and then pivots with a long candle on the daily time frame and then short until it hits $40.

awax37

Star
Registered
NIO (Nov 13, 2020)

let me clarify when I see long candle pivot. I mean like in this screenshot. If the pattern looks like an upside down U. Long candle, then a base (pivot point) and then a long candle out

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
let me clarify when I see long candle pivot. I mean like in this screenshot. If the pattern looks like an upside down U. Long candle, then a base (pivot point) and then a long candle out

See, I know a lot of people who just take the candle patterns into account (I'm not saying that's what you're doing). I look at the candles, but I also look at the volume for liquidity. Trading stocks on light volume is a no no to me, unless there's something really special about the company.

Savvy traders/brokers can get people caught up in a "pump and dump" situation when there's low volume. On the chart that you've provided... I looked at that last candlestick, that doji... and it's low volume. That would scare the Hell out of me.

awax37

Star
Registered
See, I know a lot of people who just take the candle patterns into account (I'm not saying that's what you're doing). I look at the candles, but I also look at the volume for liquidity. Trading stocks on light volume is a no no to me, unless there's something really special about the company.

Savvy traders/brokers can get people caught up in a "pump and dump" situation when there's low volume. On the chart that you've provided... I looked at that last candlestick, that doji... and it's low volume. That would scare the Hell out of me.
I agree. I only trade it if the volume is over 1 million. NIO has been trading over 10+ million everyday for the last week if memory serves me correctly. I have not traded it but Ive been watching. Check it out tomorrow. I was just offering my opinion to whoever asked the question about shorting NIO

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
My issue is I would always lose the internet for days at a time. I fucked myself in 2014 so I just grabbed a few things and sat on them.

How often do you stay connected to the market to trade? All-day? Set up automated dumps and shit? This is not my field, but it's fascinating to me.

awax37

Star
Registered
My issue is I would always lose the internet for days at a time. I fucked myself in 2014 so I just grabbed a few things and sat on them.

How often do you stay connected to the market to trade? All-day? Set up automated dumps and shit? This is not my field, but it's fascinating to me.
I stay connected all day. I'm mostly watching between 8 am and Noon. Thats where you see the most action for day trading. If I'm swing trading I set it and forget it. I automate everything and won't even really watch it. Its really easy on my mind because if I lose I already know how much I'm going to lose or win. Day trading is tough and stressful lol. Everything moves fast and you have to watch it and strategize

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor

It's not hard to stay connected now because of the various apps out there. I use the Think or Swim platform, and it has alerts and all types of shit.

But, I don't day trade either. I swing traded mostly. But, now I'm focusing more on options. I'm not too worried about what they are going to do day to day, because I can pretty much set it and forget it. As long as I know the expiry, I'm good. Also, I'm focusing more on the indexes.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
I haven't updated my BGOL beginner stock picks in a month or so.

For those who didn't read the very first post of this thread, please do so. I created this particular thread to help those who are brand new to trading with little to no experience. I shared a basic portfolio of stocks that I vetted that would yield a profit by year's end with little to no work. The goal was and still is to teach the basics of trading and to reassure you that the whites, Asians, and Indians who trade for a living are not smarter than you and they are not doing things that you can't learn. They had help and a head start. Hopefully, between me and the other experienced traders on the board, some of you will build the confidence to change your lives and well as your family's lives through stock and options.

Below is the 11-month performance index of the stocks I chose for you. The total percentage growth is 27%. This far outperformed most 401K investment packages. Please note that TSLA and AAPL had their stock split earlier this year and the value represented in the chart represents the total value of your stock split. As strange as it sounds, Disney and Apple are the lowest performers. VOO is the Vanguard stock that follows the S&P 500.

Stock
27-Jan
24-Nov
% Growth
AAPL
308.95​
344.82​
10%​
MSFT
162.28​
212.09​
23%​
AMD
49.26​
85.02​
42%​
NFLX
342.88​
481.18​
29%​
TSLA
558.02​
2720.65​
79%​
VOO
297.23​
332.97​
11%​
GOOG
1433.9​
1753.94​
18%​
GOOGL
1431.73​
1748.80​
18%​
DIS
135.9​
150.03​
9%​

I will update this BGOL index one more time in January to give a year wrap-up. At which time I will provide a revised listing.

If you have questions please feel free to ask. The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.

awax37

Star
Registered

For those who didn't read the very first post of this thread, please do so. I created this particular thread to help those who are brand new to trading with little to no experience. I shared a basic portfolio of stocks that I vetted that would yield a profit by year's end with little to no work. The goal was and still is to teach the basics of trading and to reassure you that the whites, Asians, and Indians who trade for a living are not smarter than you and they are not doing things that you can't learn. They had help and a head start. Hopefully, between me and the other experienced traders on the board, some of you will build the confidence to change your lives and well as your family's lives through stock and options.

Below is the 11-month performance index of the stocks I chose for you. The total percentage growth is 27%. This far outperformed most 401K investment packages. Please note that TSLA and AAPL had their stock split earlier this year and the value represented in the chart represents the total value of your stock split. As strange as it sounds, Disney and Apple are the lowest performers. VOO is the Vanguard stock that follows the S&P 500.

Stock
27-Jan
24-Nov
% Growth
AAPL
308.95​
344.82​
10%​
MSFT
162.28​
212.09​
23%​
AMD
49.26​
85.02​
42%​
NFLX
342.88​
481.18​
29%​
TSLA
558.02​
2720.65​
79%​
VOO
297.23​
332.97​
11%​
GOOG
1433.9​
1753.94​
18%​
GOOGL
1431.73​
1748.80​
18%​
DIS
135.9​
150.03​
9%​
I will update this BGOL index one more time in January to give a year wrap-up. At which time I will provide a revised listing.

If you have questions please feel free to ask. The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.
I'm kicking myself for not buying Tesla around $380. I had multiple opportunities

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ahhhhhh, a skeptic. Lol!! Just kidding my brother.

All of the stocks that I have listed are global companies and does not completely rely on the U.S. economy.

Your question leads to a lesson for today.

Stop Loss Order.

Basically, you set a number where tour stock sells automatically when a certain threshold is met. For example:

I bought 1 share of AMD on my new TD Ameritrade account at 51.71. I set a stop loss of $46.35. That is a 10% depreciation.

$51.71 × 90% = $46.54 (how much the stock should sell for)

Or

$51.71 x 10% = $5.17 (how much you potentially lost)

AMD hasnt seen $46.54 since December 31, 2019. So, I'm not really worried about that happening. But, it is always better safe than sorry. Now, $5.17 doesn't seem like much, but when you are dealing with multiple shares (I have over a hundred shares in my Robinhood Account) then stop loss becomes a blessing.

Unfortunately, M1 does not offer this feature.

Full transparency, I do own an M1 account. This is where my shares of Telsa, Amazon, and Netflix are.
its now at $84.90 114.9% in 1YR , good call :bravo:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Stock
27-Jan
24-Nov
% Growth
AAPL
308.95​
344.82​
10%​
MSFT
162.28​
212.09​
23%​
AMD
49.26​
85.02​
42%​
NFLX
342.88​
481.18​
29%​
TSLA
558.02​
2720.65​
79%​
VOO
297.23​
332.97​
11%​
GOOG
1433.9​
1753.94​
18%​
GOOGL
1431.73​
1748.80​
18%​
DIS
135.9​
150.03​
9%​

Man thanks for sharing!

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do you set up reoccurring deposits in Robinhood? I have a M1 account where I’m doing $25 a week in my different pies, but not sure how to do it Robinhood.

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do you set up reoccurring deposits in Robinhood? I have a M1 account where I’m doing $25 a week in my different pies, but not sure how to do it Robinhood.

I became a gold member and that’s when the offer magically appeared. I’ve been buying NIO FANG and QCLN every two weeks. $50 per position, whatever amount it gets at that price that’s what it is even if it’s only a fraction of a share.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
You can do reoccurring deposits in Robinhood, but your u can not do automatic investing just like in M1.

I do automatic deposits on all my platforms. But, only on M1 would the strategy of automatic investing be sensible in my opinion. I use M1 for long term holdings such as the stock index I provided in this thread. With Robinhood, Webull, TD Ameritrade/ Think or Swim, etc, investers need to be a little more prudent when he or she jumps into a trade

Keep your M1 going and don't think about it. When you can, increase the deposit amount. Try increasing your deposit amount by $5 every couple of months. That way it will be gradual and you won't notice the difference.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can do reoccurring deposits in Robinhood, but your u can not do automatic investing just like in M1.

I do automatic deposits on all my platforms. But, only on M1 would the strategy of automatic investing be sensible in my opinion. I use M1 for long term holdings such as the stock index I provided in this thread. With Robinhood, Webull, TD Ameritrade/ Think or Swim, etc, investers need to be a little more prudent when he or she jumps into a trade

Keep your M1 going and don't think about it. When you can, increase the deposit amount. Try increasing your deposit amount by $5 every couple of months. That way it will be gradual and you won't notice the difference.
Thanks man! Yeah M1 interface is much better in my opinion and easier to use. I created some pies using the company's you listed and some I just wanted to invest in and set that joint on auto-invest.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
OK BGOL, here's your mission if you choose to accept it:

There are Brothers on here who own stocks like Tesla, Apple, and Microsoft. That's all well and good, because these companies are established already. Can we share our knowledge and find the next up and coming Tesla and Apple etc...?

Can we come together here and have a meeting of the minds when it comes to information like "Scanning?"

Brother "Tito_Jackson" has really already kicked it off by sharing info on Stop Loss Orders. Thank you, Bro.

Here's my contribution:

I look for Small Cap Stocks that trade in a price range of $20-$50.

I look for an EPS > 10%.
ROE > than average.

Volume > 1million shares.

Now I'm still learning, and I'm still refining my setup. I have no issues with someone critiquing this. I currently own shares of NIO (Thanks to you Brothers).

Also, it's one thing to say what you did. It's another thing to say why you did it.

wouncie

If you don’t own any Bitcoin you’re doing it wrong
OG Investor
OK BGOL, here's your mission if you choose to accept it:

There are Brothers on here who own stocks like Tesla, Apple, and Microsoft. That's all well and good, because these companies are established already. Can we share our knowledge and find the next up and coming Tesla and Apple etc...?

Can we come together here and have a meeting of the minds when it comes to information like "Scanning?"

Brother "Tito_Jackson" has really already kicked it off by sharing info on Stop Loss Orders. Thank you, Bro.

Here's my contribution:

I look for Small Cap Stocks that trade in a price range of $20-$50.

I look for an EPS > 10%.
ROE > than average.

Volume > 1million shares.

Now I'm still learning, and I'm still refining my setup. I have no issues with someone critiquing this. I currently own shares of NIO (Thanks to you Brothers).

Also, it's one thing to say what you did. It's another thing to say why you did it.
The reality is There IS no NEXT Tesla or Next Apple emerging any time soon. Don’t get tricked out your money chasing the next best thing. The largest part of your portfolio should true things that are moving. (Tesla, Bitcoin, ZM, etc etc.) I would use about 10-20% of my portfolio to swing other stock/crypto, just for the gains to be flipped into my long term holdings