I see your $50 and I raise you $60. Anonymous. God speed brotha.I just dropped an Anonymous $50
Good Luck & Get Well Brother - VP
I see your $50 and I raise you $60. Anonymous. God speed brotha.I just dropped an Anonymous $50
Good Luck & Get Well Brother - VP
BGOL helping BGOL.![]()
$101 my friend. Anonymous.
Thank you so much. I appreciate you.Done, get well brother.
And I am very appreciative.BGOL helping BGOL.![]()
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it!Donated $100
Bless you and thank you!Donated.
Get better soon.
I am so overwhelmed. Thank you.Get well soon brother.
Sent A little change your way and hope it helps.
I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart.Wishing you speedy recovery. Will send something soon.
Thank you!I see your $50 and I raise yo
Bless you. Thank you.I see your $50 and I raise you $60. Anonymous. God speed brotha.
I am so grateful. Thank you.Sent some your way (Anonymous). Get well soon fam.
Thank you for your advice and I really appreciate it. This is the first time I have ever had to ask for help on a public scale. Trust me when I say that it took everything in my power to ask because I don't. I am the kind of person who will go hungry before I ask for something to eat. This time, I opened my mouth and asked for help. What I have done is set daily reminders on my phone to do certain things, like take my meds and even eat. I have reached out to family who checks on me. I didn't do that before. The other day, I called my father who I hadn't talked to in a long time. I simply said "I need you." He was like "I am on my way." That was the most healing moment between us.@chrisxxx
I meant to add earlier - definitely make sure to ask for assistance from close friends or family when you're fully settled back at home. I know it can be tough and feel vulnerable, but it's the right thing to do to help getting you back into routine. Stuff that you might be struggling with ... just reach out to your people and ask if they can facilitate some things for you, etc.
I have mentioned on BGOL a few times over the years how one of my closest friends had a stroke just over 10 years ago (in his early-60s). He was hospitalized for awhile and then in a rehab hospital facility for approx' 2 months (primarily for speech therapy). He was fine with motor movements and strength / mobility. Just his speech was affected, and he was already in a tough position as he had experienced a brain injury from carbon monoxide poisoning back in the day in the 1980s, and English is his 2nd language. He's back to about 90% of where he was at prior to the stroke.
Some things I noticed that really helped for him
- Hospital printed off a sheet of common phrases / expressions or hand movements he could gesture IF he wasn't able to verbalize something
- Also had a printed out poster of day-to-day activities to remind him to follow up on
- I've always helped him stay on track of stuff like grocery shopping and bills, so I look over bank statements and bills with him to ensure his account is in good standing ... and I printed out a reference list and taped it to his fridge in regards to stuff he could look at re: stocking up on his grocery runs. He tends to have bare bones items in his fridge at times, or then he'll go and stock up on junk food and takeout food from restaurants. I reminded him to balance things out with staple food items, etc.
- Also printed out a list of his phone numbers / contacts so that he'd have it referenced in his room, as he tended to change phone numbers / carriers too often in the past. Or lose phones along the way.
- He also had some so-called "friends" along the way who were taking advantage of him, and ripping him off for considerable amounts of money. By checking his account balance regularly, I want to have an idea IF things fluctuate too much. If the account balance drops off substantially, that will be the red flag for me to notify his support worker to follow up with the bank & maybe ask them to talk with the staff or review CC if anyone is tagging along with him on the bank visits, or if he's doing that on his own (after being pressured from them on the outside). The support worker only sees him 1 - 2 times a month. I see him a few times a week and check in on shit like that ...
I appreciate you very much, my friend. Thank you.Done.
Godspeed!
Ok... that made me laugh and I needed that! Thank you so much and I appreciate you tenfold.Just sent a donation your way. Don't let these crackas put you in an early grave bruh!
Thank you for your advice and I really appreciate it. This is the first time I have ever had to ask for help on a public scale. Trust me when I say that it took everything in my power to ask because I don't. I am the kind of person who will go hungry before I ask for something to eat. This time, I opened my mouth and asked for help. What I have done is set daily reminders on my phone to do certain things, like take my meds and even eat. I have reached out to family who checks on me. I didn't do that before. The other day, I called my father who I hadn't talked to in a long time. I simply said "I need you." He was like "I am on my way." That was the most healing moment between us.

That's beautiful and thank you for sharing this with me. I just got off the phone and told someone that I need some mental health services and they were more than happy to oblige. I am learning that it's ok to ask for help. I really appreciate you and the rest of the BGOL family here. I am so overwhlemed by the love. Again, thank you so much, my friend. Bless you.Right on, Chris.
You have done the right thing. Reaching out to your community here in the forum, setting daily reminders on your phone, and reaching out to family and asking for that help / assistance. The way I see it is no one's on an island alone. All the things that we do for our own friends / family over the course of a lifetime ... it's only fair that things get reciprocated over time. You lend a hand to him and her ... and they reach back out to you later on.
* Hell yeah re: your interaction with pops. That is gold ... your request and his response. Love to hear that.
Side note ... my dad's sister lost her husband in early-June. He had a cancer battle, followed by stroke, fall & other issues that led to his deterioration. My aunt's (dad's sister) always been like a 2nd mom to us kids. Got married in her mid-40s, and never had kids. Always looked out for her bro's kids like her own. I've always maintained a bond with her and seen her every few months in person, and correspond regularly by email. The past 2 months now I've been seeing her regularly and lifting her spirits, helping her with stuff, and helping her declutter her place with stuff she is offloading. She got me to sign paperwork re: being her Power of Attorney, etc. She's got a limited support group, but is social by nature. Her husband was older, but quite reserved & antisocial so he didn't have any long-term friends. She said she is thankful that she didn't pass before him ... because he (with his health issues) wouldn't have been able to contend with all the stuff she's been dealing with re: end of life / closing accounts / legal documents, etc.
Had my birthday recently and had some time off. She asked if we could get together and spend the day. She wanted me to follow up and sign as a joint account holder at a few of her banks, and get granted key access to her safe deposit box, etc.
She said let's get those appts done, and then we can go for lunch and dinner, and also just hang out.
So we did that yesterday. Went to 2 appts ... lunch at a Cuban restaurant ... a walk at a local park she visited with her husband (she spread some of his ashes there) ... then went to Starbucks for some snacks ... back to her place to chill ... and then ordered dinner (Thai food) and ate the meal on her front deck. It was a good day all-around. Got things done and spent plenty of quality time. She thanked me and hugged me at the end of the night for all the support in recent months.
My dad said to me earlier in the week - "Thank you for helping my sister. It doesn't go unnoticed."
That's all I needed to hear. I replied to her last night after the hug - "That's what families do. Look out for each other."
![]()
You know what, friend? I have never had Cuban food. What would you recommend? There's several Cuban restaurants here in Houston.Right on, Chris.
You have done the right thing. Reaching out to your community here in the forum, setting daily reminders on your phone, and reaching out to family and asking for that help / assistance. The way I see it is no one's on an island alone. All the things that we do for our own friends / family over the course of a lifetime ... it's only fair that things get reciprocated over time. You lend a hand to him and her ... and they reach back out to you later on.
* Hell yeah re: your interaction with pops. That is gold ... your request and his response. Love to hear that.
Side note ... my dad's sister lost her husband in early-June. He had a cancer battle, followed by stroke, fall & other issues that led to his deterioration. My aunt's (dad's sister) always been like a 2nd mom to us kids. Got married in her mid-40s, and never had kids. Always looked out for her bro's kids like her own. I've always maintained a bond with her and seen her every few months in person, and correspond regularly by email. The past 2 months now I've been seeing her regularly and lifting her spirits, helping her with stuff, and helping her declutter her place with stuff she is offloading. She got me to sign paperwork re: being her Power of Attorney, etc. She's got a limited support group, but is social by nature. Her husband was older, but quite reserved & antisocial so he didn't have any long-term friends. She said she is thankful that she didn't pass before him ... because he (with his health issues) wouldn't have been able to contend with all the stuff she's been dealing with re: end of life / closing accounts / legal documents, etc.
Had my birthday recently and had some time off. She asked if we could get together and spend the day. She wanted me to follow up and sign as a joint account holder at a few of her banks, and get granted key access to her safe deposit box, etc.
She said let's get those appts done, and then we can go for lunch and dinner, and also just hang out.
So we did that yesterday. Went to 2 appts ... lunch at a Cuban restaurant ... a walk at a local park she visited with her husband (she spread some of his ashes there) ... then went to Starbucks for some snacks ... back to her place to chill ... and then ordered dinner (Thai food) and ate the meal on her front deck. It was a good day all-around. Got things done and spent plenty of quality time. She thanked me and hugged me at the end of the night for all the support in recent months.
My dad said to me earlier in the week - "Thank you for helping my sister. It doesn't go unnoticed."
That's all I needed to hear. I replied to her last night after the hug - "That's what families do. Look out for each other."
![]()
That's beautiful and thank you for sharing this with me. I just got off the phone and told someone that I need some mental health services and they were more than happy to oblige. I am learning that it's ok to ask for help. I really appreciate you and the rest of the BGOL family here. I am so overwhlemed by the love. Again, thank you so much, my friend. Bless you.

You know what, friend? I have never had Cuban food. What would you recommend? There's several Cuban restaurants here in Houston.