How are you planning for retirement at this point in life?

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
I I see a lot of guys have the 41K and it's good and all but understand A401K is not An instrument you can really use to retire on.

If you read exactly what it says it's an executive retirement plan it's for people ( ie executives ) who make a lot of money who want to offset their tax liability and lower thier income by saying they are " saving".

The real.deal is this - you'd need to have your home paid off - cars paid off - and kids all done and paid off

THEN you need to have enough money that will supplant your living an extra 20 to 30 years -

That's a LOT of money-

Think about how in the last 20 years the cost of living has risen - what you have saved needs to account for that rise ....a 401k even if you have 200 or 300k saved in it will probably only carry you about 10 years realistically speaking if you are relying on a 401k to be the majority of what you will rely on the most you could stack is 25k or 27k a year

Over 10 years thats only 250k but let's say 300k .

300k over 10 years is 30k a year and thats not a lot of dough if you still have a mortgage or car payment....or both.

So if your expenses are 30KA year and you plan on living another 25 to 30 years you're looking at almost $900000

AND...
Homes cost money. for property taxes and upkeep ( roof windows and siding will easily cost you almost 80 to 100k over 10 years ) ....

And of course the biggie is health - even if you're reasonably healthy now and you do some kind of retirement job to bring in some 30 or 40k that ends once you get sick.

And everyone will get sick

This is pretty much for the US

Once you are sick AND you can't keep up with expenses if you need govt help you can't have any assets.

if you need medicaid or Medicare esp for something like a stroke / heart attack or cancer... You can't work and you've got nothing but expenses

The government here says you have to be dirt poor so you'd have to somehow "hide" that you own a. Home or any accounts that have $$$ ....and mind you often what doctors recommend for treatment is not covered by your insurance so you have to.make up the diff .

Retirement is not something that anyone in the last 20 or 30 years is even remotely prepared for

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
I I see a lot of guys have the 41K and it's good and all but understand A401K is not An instrument you can really use to retire on.

If you read exactly what it says it's an executive retirement plan it's for people ( ie executives ) who make a lot of money who want to offset their tax liability and lower thier income by saying they are " saving".

The real.deal is this - you'd need to have your home paid off - cars paid off - and kids all done and paid off

THEN you need to have enough money that will supplant your living an extra 20 to 30 years -

That's a LOT of money-

Think about how in the last 20 years the cost of living has risen - what you have saved needs to account for that rise ....a 401k even if you have 200 or 300k saved in it will probably only carry you about 10 years realistically speaking if you are relying on a 401k to be the majority of what you will rely on the most you could stack is 25k or 27k a year

Over 10 years thats only 250k but let's say 300k .

300k over 10 years is 30k a year and thats not a lot of dough if you still have a mortgage or car payment....or both.

So if your expenses are 30KA year and you plan on living another 25 to 30 years you're looking at almost $900000

AND...
Homes cost money. for property taxes and upkeep ( roof windows and siding will easily cost you almost 80 to 100k over 10 years ) ....

And of course the biggie is health - even if you're reasonably healthy now and you do some kind of retirement job to bring in some 30 or 40k that ends once you get sick.

And everyone will get sick

This is pretty much for the US

Once you are sick AND you can't keep up with expenses if you need govt help you can't have any assets.

if you need medicaid or Medicare esp for something like a stroke / heart attack or cancer... You can't work and you've got nothing but expenses

The government here says you have to be dirt poor so you'd have to somehow "hide" that you own a. Home or any accounts that have $$$ ....and mind you often what doctors recommend for treatment is not covered by your insurance so you have to.make up the diff .

Retirement is not something that anyone in the last 20 or 30 years is even remotely prepared for
This has me thankful I retired from the military. At least I have a check coming no matter what. Never considered what the rest of you would have to deal with and that is a bleak outlook.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@Dadecountycane

If you have a few different banks you deal with, keep an eye on some of the promotional bonus interest campaigns they do too. I.E. - one of the banks I was dealing with dropped their % down to bullshit low levels. So I just moved stuff over to somewhere better I was already dealing with ... until said former bank came correct again and said they were offering 5.75% on new deposits for 5-6 months. So I just started depositing quite a bit back over there.

The rest I have got locked in for GICs elsewhere maturing between April 2024 - Jan. 2025. Mostly around 6%.

It's kind of simple and tedious really. All about keeping an eye on things.

Like I was saying earlier ... I moved stuff over (emergency funds - readily accessible) to a savings account in the 2nd half of 2023 to take advantage of their 5.75% interest promo. As of Jan. 1st they are back down to 0.4%. Whereas the bank I was with previously I often transfer money to & from. They were at 0.7% ... but now they are back to offering a promo of 5.75% on savings account deposits for the next 5 months, so I'll move my money back over there.

The bulk of the other investments with them (GICs - regular format, and TFSA + RRSP) mature, as noted, between April - January, and that's money I won't need for another 15 - 20 years, so I don't mind parking that and not worrying about it.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's kind of simple and tedious really. All about keeping an eye on things.

Like I was saying earlier ... I moved stuff over (emergency funds - readily accessible) to a savings account in the 2nd half of 2023 to take advantage of their 5.75% interest promo. As of Jan. 1st they are back down to 0.4%. Whereas the bank I was with previously I often transfer money to & from. They were at 0.7% ... but now they are back to offering a promo of 5.75% on savings account deposits for the next 5 months, so I'll move my money back over there.

The bulk of the other investments with them (GICs - regular format, and TFSA + RRSP) mature, as noted, between April - January, and that's money I won't need for another 15 - 20 years, so I don't mind parking that and not worrying about it.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F23d1ca05-6fda-4bac-9e6e-b618832f64c9_1080x1080.jpeg

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've been retired for several years. I retired in my early fifties and I'm still in my fifties. It's too young to retire but I hated my job and co-workers. I will pass on this one piece of advice I read and have found true. "You are going to underestimate the amount of money you're going to spend on healthcare." Both my wife and I have been hospitalized in the last couple of years. I still have expenses due to my hospitalization.

I always remember when Michael Jackson died. I was recovering from knee surgery. I woke up and saw the news. They asked a doctor what could have caused his sudden death. The doctor had a few theories but ultimately said, "the truth is 50 year old men die everyday of natural causes."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I've been retired for several years. I retired in my early fifties and I'm still in my fifties. It's too young to retire but I hated my job and co-workers. I will pass on this one piece of advice I read and have found true. "You are going to underestimate the amount of money you're going to spend on healthcare." Both my wife and I have been hospitalized in the last couple of years. I still have expenses due to my hospitalization.

I always remember when Michael Jackson died. I was recovering from knee surgery. I woke up and saw the news. They asked a doctor what could have caused his sudden death. The doctor had a few theories but ultimately said, "the truth is 50 year old men die everyday of natural causes."

Good advice, RD.

My mom broke her hip in 2020. Her bf had knee surgery in 2022.

My dad had knee surgery in the fall of 2023. His gf has been having arm / wrist issues in recent months.

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good advice, RD.

My mom broke her hip in 2020. Her bf had knee surgery in 2022.

My dad had knee surgery in the fall of 2023. His gf has been having arm / wrist issues in recent months.
I've known several people who died in the early fifties after retiring who looked to be in good health. Heart attacks and strokes. For me it was septic shock. The fifties really seems to be the age when the decline starts. Take care of yourself before then.

When I retired, I didn't think I would make it to 60 if I kept working.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I've known several people who died in the early fifties after retiring who looked to be in good health. Heart attacks and strokes. For me it was septic shock. The fifties really seems to be the age when the decline starts. Take care of yourself before then.

When I retired, I didn't think I would make it to 60 if I kept working.

Well said, and good on you for recognizing that re: work (not liking the job or coworkers).

Regarding heart attacks / strokes ... dad's uncle was one of the healthiest in the family. Died at 58 of a massive heart attack a month after retiring after 40 years at his job. Healthy guy who took care of himself - heart disease in the family.

As for septic shock ... had a scare last year at work (work in health care).

One of our guys wasn't able to communicate. Started rocking back and forth on the edge of his bed after a washroom visit. Went to check on him and offer some water. Wasn't too interested in that, then started to have what appeared to be convulsions or a seizure.

Raced to unlock the front door and call 911. Paramedics showed up and weren't sure what was going on with him. Thought maybe it was sepsis ... gave him fluids and oxygen. He wasn't able to walk. They tried transporting him in a chair downstairs, but he was at risk of falling. Fire department showed up and used a tarp to carry him down (smaller guy / modest weight). Turns out it was his 2nd bout with covid (had it a few years prior too). No coughing issues.

Dadecountycane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I never want to be in a position where I depend on the government. One minute they "got you back" next minute they are like " Not so fast"

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Auto EVERYTHING

Agreed.

I was talking to a friend of mine about that. He was explaining his auto contributions to RRSP portfolio (retirement savings). A little bit off of each paycheck. He does this so he doesn't have to think about it @ the end of the year. He owes every year (tax season) as he works a side hustle job in research which is about 10 hours a week and pays quite well, on top of his regular 40 hours a week.

I was saying to him as I've invested more in recent years, I just try and make the process as simple as possible for myself. Having a sheet with all the maturity dates listed, so I know when to move money around / re-invest. Also have the calendar marked as well.

Last edited:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I know plenty of people that retired in their 40's, never sniffed a million dollars.

It depends on debt, lifestyle, divorce, age of kids, health, if house is paid for, etc...

A person or couple with a million in Net worth or future income can move overseas and be comfortable in most places.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Early retirement is easy if you are willing to relocate.

I definitely agree with the places in South America having worked with someone whose family is from there.....Nice weather and you can build a home that would be worth in the millions for like 300K and have maids.....

Last edited:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I definitely agree with the places in South America having worked with someone who family is from there.....Nice weather and you can build a home that would be worth in the millions for like 300K and have maids.....
Yeah, shit is peach cobbler for expats retireeing overseas with a decent pension or passive income.

I am never stressed with these options.

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I definitely agree with the places in South America having worked with someone whose family is from there.....Nice weather and you can build a home that would be worth in the millions for like 300K and have maids.....
I plan on moving to my property in the country. Paid off and will start me a garden. Eat mainly off the garden, wild game, and cattle I raise.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Sister at Morningstar offers some suggestions on the 4% rule.

For those that don't know, the 4% rule means, withdrawing 4% of your total retirement per year while still earning +8% or more per year means you can retire and never run out of money. Of course nothing is set in stone and subject to change depending on market performance.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
My retirement plan currently is to fuck some old crusty rich lonely white bitches(sorry Dr Umar) and stack up a few inheritances. Not hard to do in Florida! Lol