How are you planning for retirement at this point in life?

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im pretty milktoast on retirement.

HSA
Roth IRA

401k in simple target date fund
Roth IRA following the simple path of wealth. 80% VTSAX and 20% bonds to smooth the ride.

I used to play around with stocks, but just betting on the market long term always wins.

Im also sitting on a little under a quarter mill in RSUs(Praise be to Allah and Microsoft) given as compensation for working in a tech company. I want to use this to buy a house when I get married, and maybe use the rest to send the future kid to a nice private school down here. If I dont get married in 10 or so years in my early 40's I'll use this RSU to speed up my retirement and just call it a day then.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Word. I don't think I'll ever fully retire either... partly out of necessity, but partly because I'm embracing lifetime learning + like having some type of routine (might as well get paid for it). I'm hoping to transition to different (paid) interests as things progress.

This. I see myself being a professor as I get closer to retirement or while I am so called retire.....Go teach a class or two during the week...

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

HSA
Roth IRA

Roth IRA following the simple path of wealth. 80% VTSAX and 20% bonds to smooth the ride.

I used to play around with stocks, but just betting on the market long term always wins.

Im also sitting on a little under a quarter mill in RSUs(Praise be to Allah and Microsoft) given as compensation for working in a tech company. I want to use this to buy a house when I get married, and maybe use the rest to send the future kid to a nice private school down here. If I dont get married in 10 or so years in my early 40's I'll use this RSU to speed up my retirement and just call it a day then.
You got an ideal setup right here :cool:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

HSA
Roth IRA

Pretty much. Keep it simple.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not quite.

I graduated college in 2012. I couldnt start maxing my 401k until I got into big tech in 2018. Doing those other company engineer jobs only afforded me enough to get to the match. If I started at a company like Microsoft right from when I graduated then I'd be a millionaire already. The stock was 30 bucks the day I graduated college....its 360 today:oops:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Not quite.

I graduated college in 2012. I couldnt start maxing my 401k until I got into big tech in 2018. Doing those other company engineer jobs only afforded me enough to get to the match. If I started at a company like Microsoft right from when I graduated then I'd be a millionaire already. The stock was 30 bucks the day I graduated college....its 360 today:oops:
I hear you, but don't be too hard on yourself worrying about the past. It sounds like your plan as it stands now will get you where you want to go (and that's better than most, trust me).

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
So you're a live to work type
My career brings me fulfillment and purpose. Why would I want to quit to take up golf or go on a cruise?

Or even worse, sit around and watch my body and mind slowly fall apart. With nothing to do but dwell on the family and friends dying of old age all around me?

Why would I want to spend my final years that way? Why would anybody?

I'd rather live like a rockstar. Reach a ripe old age and play my final show a few weeks before I lay down for the last time.

Or be like one of those centenarians you read about in the news that still work at the age of 102.

I have no intention of running out the clock.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Dadecountycane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Have any experience with any of the recommended HYSAs? I have a few dollars in a NFCU account. Looking to move about half into a high yield savings account.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@Dadecountycane

If you have a few different banks you deal with, keep an eye on some of the promotional bonus interest campaigns they do too. I.E. - one of the banks I was dealing with dropped their % down to bullshit low levels. So I just moved stuff over to somewhere better I was already dealing with ... until said former bank came correct again and said they were offering 5.75% on new deposits for 5-6 months. So I just started depositing quite a bit back over there.

The rest I have got locked in for GICs elsewhere maturing between April 2024 - Jan. 2025. Mostly around 6%.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Open an account with "My Social Security."

It's Free, and it will tell you the estimated amount you are eligible for when you decide to apply.

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Free weekly online credit reports are available from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Credit reports play an important role in your financial life and we encourage you to regularly check your credit history.

Go to the website and it will give you your credit reports from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion for free.

It's very simple and they just ask a few questions (should take less than 5 minutes to apply).

Experian gives you the option to find out your FICO score also free. However, it offers you a 7 day trial, and you must cancel before the 7 day trial expires or they may try to charge you (you do not have to use a credit/debit card when you apply).

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just retired from the Govt this past spring. I need to work on my military disability (BS and missed my physical ). Looking back I wished I could of put more in my 401k. I only got about $125k in it. I still do part time gigs for the State and two private HBCU's.