How are you planning for retirement at this point in life?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
e Roth 401(k) Landscape Has Undergone Major Changes. Here’s What You Need To Know

Brian MenickellaSep 6, 2023,
The retirement savings landscape experienced a radical transformation with the enactment of the SECURE Act 2.0 at the end of 2022. This groundbreaking legislation introduced a wave of changes, setting new precedents for retirement savings programs, most notably for Roth 401(k) account holders.

The Act is considered a significant leap forward, encouraging more Americans to save and plan for retirement. It provided substantial adjustments to the existing rules in an attempt to make retirement savings more accessible and beneficial to a wider demographic. The changes are far-reaching, with implications for employers, employees, and the retirement industry as a whole.

Employer Matches

Among these changes is a provision that allows participants in qualified 401(k) defined contribution plans, 403(b) plans, and governmental 457(b) plans to treat employer matching and nonelective contributions as designated Roth contributions if the plan design allows it. These contributions, which include those made on qualified student loan payments, must be 100% vested and can't be excluded from gross income.

In the past, employers matched their employees' Roth 401(k)s with pre-tax dollars, which had to be placed in a pre-tax account like a traditional 401(k). The SECURE 2.0 Act now enables employers to make matching contributions directly to employees' Roth 401(k)s. This change took effect instantly upon the Act's passage, but it's important to note that this option is discretionary, and employers can choose to make pre-tax matches or not provide a company match at all.

Implementing these provisions depends on guidance on the employee/employer election process, taxation and reporting, and the payroll service and record keeper's capability. Therefore, you must consult your employer for more information about Roth 401(k) matches and stay vigilant for any notifications about changes to your plan.

The SECURE Act 2.0 has also introduced the Roth feature to SEP IRA and SIMPLE IRA plans. Starting from the 2023 tax year, employees can treat employer contributions to a SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA as Roth contributions. The same applies to elective deferrals. Before SECURE Act 2.0, only pre-tax contributions were permitted.

Required Minimum Distributions

Starting in 2024, designated Roth account assets in 401(k), 403(b), and governmental 457(b) plans will no longer be subject to pre-death required minimum distribution rules. For 2023, participants whose first RMD is due may choose to take it on or after January 1, 2024. However, they must still include any designated Roth assets when calculating their 2023 RMD. Failure to fulfill it results in a 25% penalty on the amount you should have withdrawn.

RMDs are compulsory annual withdrawals that all workers must start taking from their retirement accounts beginning the year they turn 73. This policy was designed to allow the government to collect its share of your retirement savings via taxes on these distributions while you're still alive.

Interestingly, despite being funded with after-tax dollars, Roth 401(k) account holders still had to take RMDs, unlike Roth IRAs. To circumvent this rule, many people would roll their Roth 401(k) over into a Roth IRA. However, starting 2024, Roth 401(k)s will no longer have RMDs.

While these changes might seem insignificant if you're a long way from retirement, they'll make a significant impact when you start using your savings in your golden years. Keep them in mind while planning your retirement withdrawal strategy, and stay alert to any future Roth 401(k) changes that could affect how you use this account.

Catch-Up Changes

From 2024, salary deferral contributions, deemed "catch-up" contributions, will be required on a Roth basis for participants earning over $145,000 in the previous year. This rule pertains to 401(k), 403(b), and 457(b) government plans but excludes "special catch-up" contributions to 403(b) or governmental 457(b) plans.

The long-standing $1,000 catch-up contribution limit for Traditional and Roth IRA participants aged 50 and older will be adjusted for inflation from 2024, as per the SECURE Act 2.0. The Act also raises catch-up contribution limits for those aged 60-63 over the next two years. In 2024, the limit will be the greater of $10,000 or 150% of the regular amount, adjusted for inflation.

From 2025, SIMPLE IRA participants' catch-up contribution limit will be either $5,000 or 150% of the SIMPLE IRA catch-up amount, inflation-indexes. High earners with an income above $145,000 must make catch-up contributions only to Roth accounts. This means eligible employees aged 60-63 making larger contributions must allocate them to a Roth account.

These changes brought about by the SECURE Act 2.0 are set to revolutionize how we approach retirement savings, especially Roth 401(k)s. If you have any queries concerning these or other changes to qualified retirement plans due to the SECURE Act or SECURE Act 2.0, contact your employer or a financial advisor for guidance.

Brian Menickella is the founder and managing partner at Beacon Financial Services, a broad-based financial advisory firm based in Wayne, PA.

Securities and Advisory services offered through LPL Financial, a registered investment advisor. Member FINRA/SIPC.

This material was created for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as ERISA, tax, legal or investment advice.

Follow me on LinkedIn. Check out my website.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To bad I could not plan retirement like other people. My goal or vision is outside the box. Either we take the earth from these white devils or die on post trying to take it back. The promise of a land flowing with the milkings of the bee hive (bee pollen, bee propolis, royal jelly ) and honey and to return to being our glorious self, rise above the white man's law and actually live forever.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Good information

rph2005

Rising Star
OG Investor
i can't even fathom making that much at that age. when i was 22 i was a broke ass mofo in grad school and driving a 1991 nissan maxima. but anyways, to your original question,
me personally, i ain't doing much right now but just chilling, working per diem and waiting. trying to figure out what ideas i can come up with.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
i can't even fathom making that much at that age. when i was 22 i was a broke ass mofo in grad school and driving a 1991 nissan maxima. but anyways, to your original question,
me personally, i ain't doing much right now but just chilling, working per diem and waiting. trying to figure out what ideas i can come up with.

I hear you on that.

I remember visiting a family friend's place back in the early-2000s. The woman's grandson was there & was around the same age (early-20s). We were outside talking and I'm a college sophomore with some little part-time job or something. Turns out he was working at Microsoft and in town visiting from the States. Some of the contractual talk came up, and it almost stopped me in my tracks. I tried to play it cool but I kept thinking - "Damn, this kid is getting PAID."

I was impressed.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

rph2005

Rising Star
OG Investor
I hear you on that.

I remember visiting a family friend's place back in the early-2000s. The woman's grandson was there & was around the same age (early-20s). We were outside talking and I'm a college sophomore with some little part-time job or something. Turns out he was working at Microsoft and in town visiting from the States. Some of the contractual talk came up, and it almost stopped me in my tracks. I tried to play it cool but I kept thinking - "Damn, this kid is getting PAID."

I was impressed.
so he was one of those IT guys that works for american firms outside the states?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

76170627-0-image-a-4_1696443372980.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's good news

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Once I can escape the U.S., I can expect my net worth to rise rapidly. I won't have leeching ass fools all up in my face.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Common Retirement Advice Wealthy People Don’t Follow​

Angela Mae
Sun, Oct 1, 20235 min read

shapecharge / Getty Images

shapecharge / Getty Images
Planning for retirement entails figuring out a great many things about your lifestyle goals, finances and long-term plans. It can be a complicated and lengthy process, one that involves determining how much to invest, which types of assets to have, how to allocate those assets, when to retire and more.
Read: Most Americans Plan to Spend Less Than $2,000 a Month in Retirement – Are They Being Realistic?
See: The Simple, Effective Way To Fortify Your Retirement Mix

Because of this, many people turn to the experts for tried-and-true pieces of advice to help ensure they’re properly prepared for retirement and that they can live comfortably when the time comes.

But while there’s plenty of well-known retirement planning advice out there, not everyone adheres to the same advice. In particular, high-net-worth individuals often ignore common advice or combine it with lesser-known strategies. In some cases, this can help them maintain their wealth and lifestyle after leaving the workforce; in others, it can actually be detrimental to their overall financial situation.
Here’s some well-known retirement advice that wealthy people don’t always follow.

Have a Well-Balanced Portfolio​

Having a balanced portfolio with a strategic mix of assets can help mitigate risks, reduce volatility and help you stay on track with your financial goals. However, not everyone follows this advice.
“Many wealthy individuals don’t stick to the common advice of maintaining a portfolio balanced between stocks and bonds, often recommended as 60% stocks and 40% bonds for the average investor,” said Jeff Rose, CFP and founder of GoodFinancialCents.com.
Read: I Lost $400K of My Retirement Savings in a Roth 401(k) – 3 Things To Know Before Choosing an Investing Plan

Focus on Income-Producing Investments​

Income-producing investments like individual stocks and bonds, real estate and mutual funds can generate cash flow at any point in life — including during retirement. Since most retirees live on a fixed income, it’s generally considered good advice to have at least some income-producing investments.
However, some high-net-worth individuals focus more on growth-oriented investments instead of income-producing ones. According to Kevin Ross, CLU, ChFC, senior managing director at Bridgeway Wealth Partners, LLC, this is a mistake.
“There are two types of portfolios, an accumulation portfolio and a distribution portfolio,” Ross said. “An accumulation portfolio is one that’s in the accumulation phase where no withdrawals are being taken from the portfolio. A distribution portfolio is one that’s in the distribution phase where income distributions are being taken from the portfolio.”
Many retirees will continue to use an accumulation strategy during the distribution phase, but this can be risky.
“We are all aware that there are inevitable down markets. But many don’t realize the profound impact distributions have on a portfolio during down markets,” Ross said. “When investors who are accustomed to investing in growth-oriented securities hit a down market — which they inevitably will — they must sell off a disproportionate number of shares in order to reach the same monthly dollar amount they need to spend in retirement. A bad sequence of returns where a retiree is hit with down years early on can result in portfolio failure — the portfolio running out of money, long before the retiree’s life expectancy.”
There are ways to reduce this risk, such as by investing in income-producing securities with growth potential. If the market takes a turn, these investments will still generate income without the need to sell off any shares until their value increases again.

Avoid Taking on Too Many Alternative Investments​

Alternative investments can be highly risky and volatile, meaning there’s a higher chance of losing a significant amount of the investment. They might also be less liquid or come with high fees. Because of these reasons, a typical investor might avoid these investments, or they might allocate a very small portion of their overall portfolio to them.
However, wealthy individuals don’t always heed this advice.
“According to various wealth surveys, high-net-worth individuals tend to have a higher allocation to alternative investments like real estate and private equity, often exceeding 20% of their portfolios, compared to the average investor,” Rose said.

Adjust Your Investment Strategy​

Another well-known piece of retirement advice is to review and adjust your investment strategy based on your goals and needs. This is something many wealthy people do as well, but not all.
“Wealthy people tend to do exactly what they did to become wealthy,” Ross said. However, “it’s a bad idea to think the same accumulation strategy that enabled you to build wealth will work in retirement. Taking periodic distributions from a portfolio changes everything and requires a different approach — a properly designed distribution portfolio. Knowing this can mean the difference between a comfortable retirement and running out of money.”

Don’t Let Emotions Guide Your Investments​

Letting your emotions guide your investments can make it harder to see the risks of a certain asset, or cause you to make poor financial decisions. This is especially common when those emotions are fear or greed. So, while emotional investing can sometimes pay off, it’s generally better to make your decisions based on sound investment strategies.
However, some wealthy individuals don’t heed this advice — or they follow it to varying degrees.
Rose gave an example of those who own concentrated stock positions in their current or previous companies. It’s often “difficult for them to remove the emotional tie to the stock because they spend so much time and energy investing into the company’s growth,” Rose said.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

7 Early Money Moves Billionaires Make To Put Them on the Road to Riches​

GoBankingRates
NICOLE SPECTOR
October 13, 2023 at 9:00 AM
Olu Eletu / Unsplash

Olu Eletu / Unsplash
As you may have figured out by now, becoming a billionaire from scratch isn’t exactly easy. It takes everything it takes to become a millionaire — but on steroids: serious grit, passionate entrepreneurialism, patience and extreme financial savviness.
Billionaires are also pretty rare: As of 2022, there were 3,194 billionaires worldwide, according to Statista. That’s significantly less than 1% of the U.S. population alone.
Discover: 4 Top Ways to Become Rich Without Working 12 Months a Year
Learn: How To Get Cash Back on Your Everyday Purchases

Recognizing just how unlikely it is to become a billionaire could be quite discouraging; but, even if it’s improbable, reaching billionaire status is still a worthy ambition. At the very least, taking steps to get there can incentivize you to be smarter with your money and bolder with your life. But it’s best to start sooner than later.
Let’s look at seven early money moves billionaires make to put them on the road to riches. It’s worth noting that these money moves don’t only happen early in the journey to uber wealth, but indeed are made all throughout their lives, ensuring their wealth for the long haul.

Taking Calculated Risks​

Risk is naturally uncomfortable for many. But taking on risk is key to making billions. That said, you have to be discerning and calculating when doing so.
“Billionaires are known for taking risks and thinking outside the box, but they also understand the importance of calculating and weighing those risks before making a move,” said Evan Tunis, president of Florida Healthcare Insurance. “They don’t just jump into something blindly; instead, they carefully assess the potential gains and losses before taking action. This allows them to make strategic decisions that can lead to big payoffs.”
Consider the case of Bill Gates, who boasts a net worth of $104 billion. He took on huge risk to build Microsoft by dropping out of college to embark on his vision quest.
I’m a Financial Advisor: 7 Ways To Get Rich in Your Later Years

Diversifying Their Investments and Income Streams​

A key early money move that billionaires make is diversifying their investments. Really, everyone needs to do this — not just those aspiring to become billionaires. A great example of a billionaire who exemplifies the importance of diversifying their wealth is Warren Buffett. He holds ownership in over 40 companies.
Billionaires also tend to diversify their income streams, which can be equally important for those looking to get rich.
“They understand that relying on a single source of income is risky and can limit their potential for wealth,” Tunis said. “Therefore, they invest in multiple industries, businesses and assets to create a diverse portfolio and minimize their risk. This also allows them to take advantage of different market trends and opportunities.”

Surrounding Themselves With Successful People​

Birds of a feather flock together isn’t just a trite cliché, it’s a resounding truth for billionaires. They’re not ones to idly pass the time with people who aren’t also interested in tremendous success.
“The saying, ‘You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with’ holds true for many billionaires,” Tunis said. “They understand the importance of surrounding themselves with successful, ambitious and driven individuals who can motivate and inspire them to reach new levels of success. They also learn from these individuals and build valuable connections that can open doors for future opportunities.”

Staying Disciplined With Spending​

You may think that if you become a billionaire, you can throw your budget out the window — but that’s a bad plan that could quickly send your net worth in a downward spiral. Just look at all of the tragic lottery winners out there who went from rags to riches and back to rags after being financially reckless.
“Billionaires are not known for their excessive spending on luxury items or frivolous purchases,” Tunis said. “Instead, they understand the importance of staying disciplined with their spending and living within their means. This allows them to save and invest more, which can ultimately lead to greater wealth in the long run.”
Again, take Buffett as an example: He still lives in the same modest home in Omaha that he bought in 1958.

Adaptability and Changing With the Times​

Billionaires don’t get nostalgic and wrapped up in ideas and practices that are stuck in the past. They move forward and evolve with the times.
“Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, exemplifies the impact of visionary investing and adaptability,” said Jeff Rose, CFP, founder of Good Financial Cents. “Bezos expanded Amazon [from an online bookstore] into an e-commerce titan, navigating through various market changes and adapting his business model to meet evolving consumer needs. His foresight and willingness to diversify Amazon’s offerings (like introducing Amazon Web Services) have been crucial in its astronomical growth and his wealth accumulation.”

Seizing the Day​

Carpe diem! Billionaires don’t just sit around waiting for something great to happen. They recognize and jump on opportunities to build wealth and succeed.
“Steve Ballmer, former CEO of Microsoft, showcases the significance of recognizing and seizing opportunities,” Rose said. “Ballmer joined Microsoft as its 30th employee, even dropping out of Stanford’s MBA program to do so. His early involvement in the tech giant and subsequent acquisition of company shares were pivotal. Ballmer was not only employee No. 30 but also became the company’s largest individual shareholder, illustrating the potential wealth-building power of equity ownership in a burgeoning company.”

Investing in Themselves — and Building a Life Around Learning​

Investing in yourself doesn’t just mean spending money (though that is an aspect, particularly as it applies to education), it also means dedicating yourself to a life of learning and self-improvement.
“For most successful individuals, education doesn’t end with a college degree,” Tunis said. “They constantly seek out new skills and knowledge to stay ahead of the game. From reading books, attending seminars and taking courses, billionaires make self-improvement a top priority.”

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Can You Pay a Mortgage with a Credit Card?​

You can do it, but it’s not as easy as it sounds
THE DECODER
Can You Pay a Mortgage with a Credit Card?

If you are doing it to buy time with your payments, it’s probably a bad idea. PHOTO: iStockphoto/Buy Side from WSJ Photo Illustration.
Published Oct. 18, 2023 1:02 pm ET
By Michelle Lambright Black
TEXT
It seems too good to be true. Pay your mortgage—inevitably one of your biggest monthly bills—with a credit card and rack up huge rewards in return. In practice, however, this strategy is a lot harder than it looks. And while it can be lucrative in certain, rare instances, it’s also risky.
For millions of Americans a mortgage is the 800-pound gorilla in their budget. The average payment on a new mortgage is just over $2,300 per month according to LendingTree, and in some areas of the country average monthly mortgage payments exceed $3,000.
But financial companies don’t make using plastic easy. Extra fees make it difficult to pile up significant miles or cash back on mortgage payments, despite the large dollar amounts involved. (In this regard, renters may have it easier.)
And if you’re hoping to charge your mortgage for a different reason—to buy yourself extra time with a bill you can’t pay, the strategy can be downright dangerous. Credit card interest rates are frequently two to three times those for mortgages.
“This method could potentially lead to a cycle of debt that’s really hard to break free from,” says Jeff Rose, a certified financial planner and founder of personal finance site GoodFinancialCents.com. “Eventually something is going to blow up.”
That said, paying your mortgage with a credit card can make sense in a few circumstances, such as when you’re trying to earn a credit card sign-up bonus. Still, even on these occasions, there are strict guidelines to follow and many personal finance efforts remain ambivalent. Here is how it works—and why you should be careful.

How to pay your mortgage with a credit card​

In general, mortgage companies and mortgage loan servicers do not accept credit cards as a form of payment. That’s in large part because credit card companies charge merchants processing fees that mortgage companies aren’t willing to pay. All the same, there are ways to pay your mortgage payment with a credit card if you’re willing to do a little extra work.
Here are some methods you may have heard about online or elsewhere, and the potential pitfalls to paying this way.

Use Plastiq or another third party​

Perhaps the most popular way to pay your mortgage with a credit card is to work with a third-party service provider. By far the best-known option is Plastiq, a company that acts as a go-between for you and businesses that don’t traditionally accept credit card payments, like mortgage companies.
If you want to pay your mortgage via Plastiq, you begin by sending the company the equivalent of your mortgage payment. From there, Plastiq will either mail your mortgage company a check or forward your payment via an ACH transfer on your behalf.
In exchange for this service, Plastiq charges a transaction fee of 2.9%. While that might seem like a small percentage, those fees can add up. If you used the service to send a single mortgage payment of $2,300 (in-line with the national average) you would pay around $67. Repeat that for a year and your cost would be over $800.
By comparison, the best cash back credit cards offer around 2% cash rewards. In other words, unless you’re working to earn a big welcome bonus or have access to a higher rewards rate, you’re likely to come out behind. (Plastiq didn’t respond to an email seeking comment.)
There can be inconveniences, too. Any time you use a third party, it means an extra payment that needs to be routed through the financial services system. This inevitably adds the potential for delays. For this reason, it’s always a good idea to send your payment a couple of weeks in advance of your due date, according to LaToya Irby, a Birmingham-based credit speaker and writer. “You want to initiate the payment early enough to prevent late payment penalties,” she says.

Purchase prepaid debit cards​

There’s another possible workaround that might help you pay your mortgage with a credit card—buying another form of payment. In other words, you could in theory use your credit card to purchase a prepaid debit card and use those funds to pay your mortgage company. Here’s how this option might work.
Some (though not all) mortgage companies may accept debit card payments. If your mortgage company accepts this form of payment, you might be able to use your credit card to purchase a prepaid debit card (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover). But, of course, buying prepaid debit cards, sometimes called gift cards, will cost you. Fees are often $5 to $10 per card with a maximum card limit of $500 or $1,000. As a result, you may have to purchase multiple cards to pay a single mortgage payment (assuming your mortgage company allows you to split the payment among multiple payment methods in the first place).
In the past, you could also purchase money orders with credit cards from 7-Eleven convenience stores or Western Unions and use them to pay your mortgage (if accepted). However, at present there are no options available for consumers who wish to purchase money orders with a credit card. So if you want to buy a money order, you’ll need to pay with cash or a debit card instead.
If you plan to buy gift cards with your credit card and use them to pay your mortgage, it’s important to review your credit card issuer’s policies first. If you’re aiming to use this strategy to rack up rewards—you might be disappointed.
Both Chase and Capital One warn that you should check your credit card’s terms and conditions before using your account to purchase gift cards. Your rewards program might not let you earn cash back or points on gift card purchases. And in some cases, credit card issuers might treat gift card purchases as cash advances.

Request a balance transfer or cash advance​

You might also pay your mortgage with a credit card by requesting a cash advance or using a balance transfer check to deposit cash into your bank account—although most experts warn this is an especially dangerous move. (If you do decide to do this, again be sure to check your card issuer’s terms of service—since some issuers prohibit these maneuvers.)
There are significant downsides to using a cash advance or a balance transfer to pay your mortgage. Neither payment method earns credit card rewards. You’re also paying one debt with another, and that could lead to future financial problems. Worst of all, credit card issuers typically charge fees for these types of transactions.
Balance transfer fees tend to be 3% to 5% of the amount you transfer to your account. Cash advance fees are commonly 5% as well. For a $2,300 mortgage payment, a 5% fee would equal $115.
With balance transfers, you may be able to benefit from a lower APR on a temporary basis. But with cash advances, the APR you pay is often higher than the standard APR on your credit card account. Interest charges on cash advances may also kick in immediately with no grace period. Therefore, using a cash advance could be a very expensive way to cover your mortgage payments.

Should you pay your mortgage with a credit card?​

Most people consider paying their mortgage with a credit card for one of two reasons—they want extra time to make their mortgage payments or they want to earn credit card rewards. In either scenario, paying your mortgage with a credit card involves risk.

No: You want extra time to make your mortgage payment​

You might be tempted to pay your mortgage with a credit card to avoid late payments or to try to delay foreclosure proceedings. But this is a dangerous game, since you aren’t addressing your budget’s underlying problems and you are replacing a relatively low-cost form of debt with a much more expensive one.
According to the Federal Reserve, the average credit card interest rate was more than 22% during the second quarter of 2023. By contrast, the average mortgage interest rate at around the same time was 7.1%.
Instead of trying to juggle debts, experts recommend reaching out to the lender to discuss hardship options may be a better approach. Depending on your situation, you might be eligible for a temporary payment deferral, loan modification, or some other option.
If you use a credit card to temporarily avoid a late payment or foreclosure without a firm plan to pay off the debt, you are unlikely to do yourself much good. “You may simply be postponing the inevitable,” says Irby.

Potentially, yes: You want to earn credit card rewards​

There is one scenario where paying a mortgage with a credit card may make sense. If you want to earn a generous credit card welcome bonus, this strategy can pay off. Credit cards frequently lure new customers with special sign up offers, sometimes a several hundred dollars in cash, other times a big stash of airline miles.
It’s also common for card issuers to require new holders to spend heavily with their card during the first three or four months they hold the cards. A requirement of $3,000 to $4,000 is typical. For some business cards, the requirement may be as much as $30,000.
If you want to earn a sign-up bonus, and you need to rack up a little extra spending to put you over the edge, putting your mortgage on your card can make sense. Even so, personal finance experts are cautious. Unless you are comfortable juggling payments, you could trigger fees and interest that will trump the value of any rewards, and potentially damage your credit score.
“I’m a huge fan of credit card rewards programs,” says Kevin Payne, budgeting and family travel enthusiast behind Family Money Adventure, “but I can’t think of a scenario where I’d recommend paying your mortgage with a credit card, even for a welcome bonus. For me personally, it’s not worth the risks.”