Halle Bailey has been cast as Ariel in Disney’s live-action The Little Mermaid. trailer

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
The swap thing the other way argument never works.

Blame racist cacs for decades of abuse and misrepresentation and disenfranchisement. We don't even have that many characters to swap out. They used to color black characters white in comics for years "by accident". The caricatures stereotypes racist tropes. Trust me I've had to hear that garbage take since I started collecting and writing

So that's bullsh*t.

that being said Ariel ain't white she is a mermaid.

Her race or ethnicity has no agency to who she is.

But I ain't looking at money.

That sh*t is just dumb

Why make Mario black though? he is Italian and they knew better than to keep the accent RIGHT? It doesn't make sense to switch him.

a black Ken would have worked if it fit the story.

I still haven't seen it but there was every kind. But according to the story a white Ken fit best. Apparently it mattered.

I'm for the STORY.

Whatever fits.

Folks HATED Miles Morales at one time John Stewart too.

I don't believe in enabling racism and ignorance even for profit.

Now the point you and vicious made about change JUST FOR CHANGE SAKE?

is difficult for me.

It's case by case.

I generally agree don't just change it to change it.

But especially Ariel it shouldn't have been a big deal.

I don't consider it a GOOD thing it flopped because they cast a black girl.
I answered your question in the first sentence of my comment. I'd appreciate if you answered mine. I didn't ask your opinion about swaps. I asked 2 specific questions and even included sex in it to avoid the predictable deflection to things that happened decades ago(which were foul as fuck). So like I did for you, just answer my 2 questions.

I'll even make the first question easier for you. If your favorite IP character was SEX swapped, how would you feel? Again, I'll provide my answer. I'd be pissed.

And if one can make a nordic Mermaid black(the non-fish part since we acting like her being a mermaid had no human racial component) why can't they make an Italian black(mario)? Say he was sicilian and call it a day. :roflmao:

So does black Mario and black barbie/ken make $1 billion? Yes or no? And I'll provide my answer first. No they do not. Not even close. Don't care if the ghost of Homer wrote that shit. Greatest story ever and folks won't show up because they don't recognize it.

What this comes down to is simply respecting IPs and source material. If folks want new characters(which is what swaps do), just make new characters. I hate lazy shit. And even though we all hypocrites to a degree, shit is ridiculously hypocritical.

And unlike most here, I keep the same energy. If they did a terminator and sex swapped Sara conner or sex swapped Ripley in Aliens, I'd call bullshit. Make Conan black. I call bullshit. Make Mace an Asian. Fuckery. What about 2023 heathcliff as a girl cat? Bullshit. And so on and so on. Green smurfs? FOH. Call me anything but a hypocrite when it comes to this shit.

So do I hate men because I don't want sara conner, Ripley, Tomb Raider, or any prominent women characters sex swapped? See how ridiculous this swap shit is? That's why none of the pro-swap arguments hold up and that's why all the shit flops.

The only reason this movie sticks out so much and I'm using it as an example is the same-year success of Barbie/Mario. This movie should have been up there. It was a fucking layup.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
No, why would I? From a personal standpoint, I don't care about The Little Mermaid as an IP.

Now let me ask you, from a personal standpoint -- be completely honest --- how would you feel if a favorite black character from your favorite IP were swapped out for a white or Asian or different sex? I'll provide my answer first. I'd be hot as fish grease(I already provided my Mace Windu example).

Let me ask you another question and be honest. Do you think Barbie or Mario do over $1 billion if the main barbie and ken were black(we know the movie had black barbies I'm talking the main one) and Mario was black? Remember, the promotion would be spent yelling at fans so take that into consideration while answering. I'm using black instead of Asian or Hispanic because Ariel was changed to black.

Man, I'm looking at this from a business standpoint. Fans of IPs don't want major changes or major swaps in their IPs. The successful ones have proven this. This is the easiest shit to get right and these stubborn asses keep failing over and over.
u keep comparing it to the 2 biggest movie ttho
when the others did similar numbers the box office
there is no way making her white would say it would make a billion
specially if you look at the box office

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
u keep comparing it to the 2 biggest movie ttho
when the others did similar numbers the box office
there is no way making her white would say it would make a billion
specially if you look at the box office
I'm only doing so because the 2 biggest movies are also iconic IPs like Ariel. Wouldn't you agree that Ariel is an icon and easy to recognize? No way this is only a $500 million movie when it had no competition in that genre for 6 weeks. Hell, a black spiderman cartoon did almost $700 million. Miles is new, but he is different character than Peter Parker.

And I think I should have confined swaps to sexual orientation and sex because that is going to happen to OUR black male characters just like they did to cacs. I was going to bring that up later because it is too easy to get folks to agree that would piss them off. Imagine gay Blade like they doing gay superman, robin, iceman, etc.

And I know you cats noticed that damn near all interracial relationaships have eliminated straight black men in favor of the white male(can't even desrie them as men)/black woman dynamic. Shit, it happened in this movie. :smh:

So my issue with swaps is protective down the line for OUR characters.

keone

International Member
I'm only doing so because the 2 biggest movies are also iconic IPs like Ariel. Wouldn't you agree that Ariel is an icon and easy to recognize? No way this is only a $500 million movie when it had no competition in that genre for 6 weeks. Hell, a black spiderman cartoon did almost $700 million. Miles is new, but he is different character than Peter Parker.

And I think I should have confined swaps to sexual orientation and sex because that is going to happen to OUR black male characters just like they did to cacs. I was going to bring that up later because it is too easy to get folks to agree that would piss them off. Imagine gay Blade like they doing gay superman, robin, iceman, etc.

And I know you cats noticed that damn near all interracial relationaships have eliminated straight black men in favor of the white male(can't even desrie them as men)/black woman dynamic. Shit, it happened in this movie. :smh:

im not a fan of race shit too but im not sweating it
lett these cacs cry and the mouse prolly knows something we dont cause they keep making these movies.
not just them everybody is doing it.

spider verse did well the first time so second would also do well.
to be real barbie and mario fanbase are way way bigger than ariel
if you compare the numbers is accurate based of popularity

also according to your logic most movies failed in the box office cause most of them had 200-250 mill budget.
guardians of the galaxy made just a 100 mill profit. which brings me to most of disney movies(ncluding marvel) did terrible

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
giphy.gif

keone

International Member
1The Super Mario Bros. Movie$1,359,114,753$574,329,79042.3%$784,784,96357.7%
2Barbie$1,295,201,000$581,701,00044.9%$713,500,00055.1%
3Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3$845,512,122$358,995,81542.5%$486,516,30757.5%
4Oppenheimer$727,947,017$293,274,26040.3%$434,672,75759.7%
5Fast X$704,709,660$145,960,66020.7%$558,749,00079.3%
6Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse$687,913,244$380,997,14255.4%$306,916,10244.6%
7The Little Mermaid$568,179,372$297,335,90552.3%$270,843,46747.7%
8Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One$542,936,273$166,536,27330.7%$376,400,00069.3%
9Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania$476,071,180$214,504,90945.1%$261,566,27154.9%
10Elemental$459,219,550$151,458,57933%$307,760,97167%
11Transformers: Rise of the Beasts$438,966,392$157,066,39235.8%$281,900,00064.2%
12John Wick: Chapter 4$426,536,073$187,131,80643.9%$239,404,26756.1%
13Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny$379,088,807$173,928,60245.9%$205,160,20554.1%
14Meg 2: The Trench$322,183,000$70,383,00021.8%$251,800,00078.2%
15Creed III$275,248,615$156,248,61556.8%$119,000,00043.2%
16The Flash$268,533,313$108,133,31340.3%$160,400,00059.7%
17Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves$208,177,026$93,277,02644.8%$114,900,00055.2%
18Insidious: The Red Door$187,066,798$81,937,09743.8%$105,129,70156.2%
19Sound of Freedom$179,685,595$179,417,92599.9%$267,6700.1%
20Scream VI$168,961,389$108,161,38964%$60,800,00036%
21Evil Dead Rise$146,733,054$67,233,05445.8%$79,500,00054.2%
22Shazam! Fury of the Gods$133,838,006$57,638,00643.1%$76,200,00056.9%

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I don't know that the little mermaid is comparable to Barbie or Mario. I think your argument would make more sense if you compared the little mermaid to other live action Disney classic remakes. Financially speaking, I have no clue what was successful or considered a failure. However, most people's opinion is that the remakes aren't close to the level of the originals and are average at best.

I watched the movie with my niece and daughter. It was kind of a boring movie. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie by any means, but I don't think Ariel being black changes much. I don't completely disagree that keeping her white brings in more people, but based off the movie i watched it doesn't change much. Mulan kept an Asian actress and it still wasn't well received. To me, Eddie Murphy was a big part of the originals success and not having the character along with other changes hurt the film. it'll be interesting to see how Snow White performs.

Even with Miles, white people took issue with him being Spider-Man and it wasn't even in the same universe at that time. Comic nerds hate change in general, but we all know it was a race component to the hate.

The issue with changing a character who is black to white is that there aren't many to start with. Personally, I'd rather see new or more black characters created, but im not necessarily mad when minor/less popular/ non iconic characters are changed to black or other minorities. If Ariel was always black and they changed her to white, I'd have an issue with that. The only outright black Disney princess gets turned into a frog for most of the movie.

if Disney wasn't behind the Little mermaid movie, would you feel the same way? Technically speaking it wasn't an original story from Disney like a lot of their work. For example, there have been a few Aladdin adaption outside of Disney's version.

keone

International Member
I don't know that the little mermaid is comparable to Barbie or Mario. I think your argument would make more sense if you compared the little mermaid to other live action Disney classic remakes. Financially speaking, I have no clue what was successful or considered a failure. However, most people's opinion is that the remakes aren't close to the level of the originals and are average at best.

I watched the movie with my niece and daughter. It was kind of a boring movie. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie by any means, but I don't think Ariel being black changes much. I don't completely disagree that keeping her white brings in more people, but based off the movie i watched it doesn't change much. Mulan kept an Asian actress and it still wasn't well received. To me, Eddie Murphy was a big part of the originals success and not having the character along with other changes hurt the film. it'll be interesting to see how Snow White performs.

Even with Miles, white people took issue with him being Spider-Man and it wasn't even in the same universe at that time. Comic nerds hate change in general, but we all know it was a race component to the hate.

The issue with changing a character who is black to white is that there aren't many to start with. Personally, I'd rather see new or more black characters created, but im not necessarily mad when minor/less popular/ non iconic characters are changed to black or other minorities. If Ariel was always black and they changed her to white, I'd have an issue with that. The only outright black Disney princess gets turned into a frog for most of the movie.

if Disney wasn't behind the Little mermaid movie, would you feel the same way? Technically speaking it wasn't an original story from Disney like a lot of their work. For example, there have been a few Aladdin adaption outside of Disney's version.
i agree with this

and the movie broke even so it will def makes some profit

disney aint stupid to keep investing in these movies if it didnt make money
like i said before most movies didnt do well with the same budget this year
hell one of the biggest actor the rock flopped with black adam

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
im not a fan of race shit too but im not sweating it
lett these cacs cry and the mouse prolly knows something we dont cause they keep making these movies.
not just them everybody is doing it.

spider verse did well the first time so second would also do well.
to be real barbie and mario fanbase are way way bigger than ariel
if you compare the numbers is accurate based of popularity

also according to your logic most movies failed in the box office cause most of them had 200-250 mill budget.
guardians of the galaxy made just a 100 mill profit. which brings me to most of disney movies(ncluding marvel) did terrible
Yeah, we been over the fail in the movies because of bloated budgets.

Also, as @playahaitian always brings up, movies down in general. Ticket sales are down 25 percent since 2018. Hollywood has driven the audience away. There is a reason they only release the gross revenue to trick folks into thinking these numbers mean something.

Yes, I would feel the same way because Ariel was the ability to print money. Mulan isn't nearly as popular as Ariel and if I remember correctly that there were all kinds of problems with that movie. China had a problem with it. Snow white is dead. Minus whale put it on streaming and save marketing costs.

I say it might be better to compare this with Aladdin. That did over $1 billion in 2019. Little Mermaid still more popular.

And white folks taking an issue with Miles because of the trend of what these non-creative folks doing with characters with the swaps. But even among 'incels', there is a divide on Miles since he is different than Peter. As long as they don't try to replace Peter with Miles, it will be cool. But fans no longer TRUST these creators. That is the problem. Because black green laterns weren't an issue before the current state of Hollywood.

I too want new black characters. Won't do hand-me-down characters. Fuck that. They got a million stories to tell and refuse to fucking tell them.
i agree with this

and the movie broke even so it will def makes some profit

disney aint stupid to keep investing in these movies if it didnt make money
like i said before most movies didnt do well with the same budget this year
hell one of the biggest actor the rock flopped with black adam
The movie didn't not break even. $250 million budget plust marketing costs. It's still in the hole man.

And every financial analyst on the planet knows Disney is losing money in theaters and with streaming. That's why Iger cut billions from this shit specifically. Apparently, some at Disney are stupid(see Kennedy and how she killed Star Wars).

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah, we been over the fail in the movies because of bloated budgets.

Also, as @playahaitian always brings up, movies down in general. Ticket sales are down 25 percent since 2018. Hollywood has driven the audience away. There is a reason they only release the gross revenue to trick folks into thinking these numbers mean something.

Yes, I would feel the same way because Ariel was the ability to print money. Mulan isn't nearly as popular as Ariel and if I remember correctly that there were all kinds of problems with that movie. China had a problem with it. Snow white is dead. Minus whale put it on streaming and save marketing costs.

I say it might be better to compare this with Aladdin. That did over $1 billion in 2019. Little Mermaid still more popular.

And white folks taking an issue with Miles because of the trend of what these non-creative folks doing with characters with the swaps. But even among 'incels', there is a divide on Miles since he is different than Peter. As long as they don't try to replace Peter with Miles, it will be cool. But fans no longer TRUST these creators. That is the problem. Because black green laterns weren't an issue before the current state of Hollywood.

I too want new black characters. Won't do hand-me-down characters. Fuck that. They got a million stories to tell and refuse to fucking tell them.

The movie didn't not break even. $250 million budget plust marketing costs. It's still in the hole man.

And every financial analyst on the planet knows Disney is losing money in theaters and with streaming. That's why Iger cut billions from this shit specifically. Apparently, some at Disney are stupid(see Kennedy and how she killed Star Wars).
I was more thinking to compare it to the other Disney princess remakes. I haven't seen the remake myself but the animated Beauty and the Beast is as popular or more popular than the Little Mermaid. From what lve read, Beauty and the Beast was considered an overall good film. Again, the Little Mermaid was OK at best. I'm not dumb enough to say having a black actress in the lead didn't cause issues but honestly it just wasn't worth going to the theater for. I'm not taking away from the actress as she captured Ariel well, but the story was lackluster. Then again I was never interested in the original for obvious reasons. I only saw the original because I have women cousins.

The reason I mentioned Snow White is because it's another princess and is going to have a white actress in the lead role. I suspect it'll be just as boring except it likely isn't as popular as The Little mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. They'd need to do a real spin on the story except its already been recently done with Snow White and the Huntsman.

Of the remakes that I recall seeing only the Jungle Book was interesting. Even with that, I'm not as connected to the Jungle Book as the late 80s/ 90s animated films so I likely overall didn't go into it with nostalgia. The Lion King and Aladdin weren't necessarily bad either. They just didn't compare to the original.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend