Gladys Knight is performing the national anthem for the Super Bowl

Do You Agree That Gladys Should Sing The National Anthem At The Superbowl?

• Yes, she has her opportunity to perform in the ATL

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, She really has no clue what the issue is all about

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I really could give a shit. I ain't watching the NFL anymore

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • The Natl Anthem is a racist song

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll never understand how some folks minds work...
It's like some folks are completely incapable of understanding that not everything is about polarizing absolutes.:smh:
- It's possible to support Kaepernick AND continue to watch & enjoy NFL games.
- It's possible to be against police brutality AND stand for The National Anthem.
- It's possible to support BOTH Kaepernick and Gladys Knight.
- It's possible to support the players who choose NOT to take a knee and those who do.
- It's possible to be both pro Black AND continue to watch football.

Closed minded individuals always want people to think only ONE WAY. Right or Left. Up or Down. Black or White.
We currently have an asshole in The White House whos' mind "works" this way... :hmm:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I'll never understand how some folks minds work...
It's like some folks are completely incapable of understanding that not everything is about polarizing absolutes.:smh:
- It's possible to support Kaepernick AND continue to watch & enjoy NFL games.
- It's possible to be against police brutality AND stand for The National Anthem.
- It's possible to support BOTH Kaepernick and Gladys Knight.
- It's possible to support the players who choose NOT to take a knee and those who do.
- It's possible to be both pro Black AND continue to watch football.

Closed minded individuals always want people to think only ONE WAY. Right or Left. Up or Down. Black or White.
We currently have an asshole in The White House whos' mind "works" this way... :hmm:
Malcolm-X-1-1-1068x561.png

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Great post.
However, towards to end of his life even Malcolm was wise enough not to subscribe to blanket absolutes on race, racism and social justice....:dunno:
even then he stood for a cause - he never talked out of both sides of his mouth

And even in the end he still advocated against integration - he predicted accurately that it would destroy group economics of the black community

don't just boycott... do for yourself

as for "social justice"

"wrong is wrong no matter who says it"
=Malcolm X

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
even then he stood for a cause - he never talked out of both sides of his mouth

And even in the end he still advocated against integration - he predicted accurately that it would destroy group economics of the black community

don't just boycott... do for yourself

as for "social justice"

"wrong is wrong no matter who says it"
=Malcolm X
Another great post.
However, it's factually inaccurate.

Although he no longer called for the separation of black people from white people, MalcolmX continued to advocate black nationalism, which he defined as self-determination for the African-American community.[267] In the last months of his life, however, MalcolmX began to reconsider his support for black nationalism after meeting northern African revolutionaries who, to all appearances, were white.[268]

After his Hajj, MalcolmX articulated a view of white people and racism that represented a deep change from the philosophy he had supported as a minister of the Nation of Islam. In a famous letter from Mecca, he wrote that his experiences with white people during his pilgrimage convinced him to "rearrange" his thinking about race and "toss aside some of [his] previous conclusions".[269] In a conversation with Gordon Parks, two days before his assassination, Malcolm said:

"[L]istening to leaders like Nasser, Ben Bella, and Nkrumah awakened me to the dangers of racism. I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another.

Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant‍—‌the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together‍—‌and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then‍—‌like all [Black] Muslims‍—‌I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years.

That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days‍—‌I'm glad to be free of them".

Malcolm did indeed change his viewpoint from being a staunch separatist to being totally willing to work with others (including White people) to combat racism.

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Another great post.
However, it's factually inaccurate.

Although he no longer called for the separation of black people from white people, MalcolmX continued to advocate black nationalism, which he defined as self-determination for the African-American community.[267] In the last months of his life, however, MalcolmX began to reconsider his support for black nationalism after meeting northern African revolutionaries who, to all appearances, were white.[268]

After his Hajj, MalcolmX articulated a view of white people and racism that represented a deep change from the philosophy he had supported as a minister of the Nation of Islam. In a famous letter from Mecca, he wrote that his experiences with white people during his pilgrimage convinced him to "rearrange" his thinking about race and "toss aside some of [his] previous conclusions".[269] In a conversation with Gordon Parks, two days before his assassination, Malcolm said:

"[L]istening to leaders like Nasser, Ben Bella, and Nkrumah awakened me to the dangers of racism. I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another.

Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant‍—‌the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together‍—‌and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then‍—‌like all [Black] Muslims‍—‌I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years.

That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days‍—‌I'm glad to be free of them".

Malcolm did indeed change his viewpoint from being a staunch a separatist to being totally willing to work with others (including White people) to combat racism.
you are trying to spin on race...

my posts in here are about power and economics
X accurately predicted the economic future of the community even though the rhetoric softened and a willingness to accept outside help developed...
X never advocated against self determination or group economics and building for self
He never double talked or fully gave in to preaching "forgiveness"

the bullshit in your initial post that I initially replied to is sentimentality espoused by the weak or greedy that no one not X not King nor Mandela would stomach-

I'll let Mr Baldwin explain why
Sentimentality, the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion, is the mark of dishonesty...the wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty.

― James Baldwin

Last edited:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you are trying to spin on race...

my posts in here are about power and economics
X accurately predicted the economic future of the community even though the rhetoric softened and a willingness to accept outside help developed...
X never advocated against self determination or group economics and building for self
He never double talked or fully gave in to preaching "forgiveness"

the bullshit in your initial post that I initially replied to is sentimentality espoused by the weak or greedy that no one not X not King nor Mandela would stomach-

I'll let Mr Baldwin explain why
Sentimentality, the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion, is the mark of dishonesty...the wet eyes of the sentimentalist betray his aversion to experience, his fear of life, his arid heart; and it is always, therefore, the signal of secret and violent inhumanity, the mark of cruelty.

― James Baldwin
Ummm,
Dude, my post was completely about race, racial politics and police brutality with regards to the NFL.
There was no "spin" implied nor inferred.
And it was about saying that is possible to stand against racism and police brutality without being visually demonstrative visual about it.
It was about saying that there is MORE than one way to take a "stand" against these things than taking a knee during the National Anthem.
It was about saying that you CAN indeed be against these things, support Kaepernick and yet still watch, enjoy and support players in The NFL who do take a knee yet continue to play.
I'd say many (if not most) Black people understand this about these issues.

Clearly you're not one of them.
I'm guessing you're one of the "all or nothing" people I was referring to in my initial post....:dunno:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Ummm,
Dude, my post was completely about race, racial politics and police brutality with regards to the NFL.
There was no "spin" implied nor inferred.
And it was about saying that is possible to stand against racism and police brutality without being visually demonstrative visual about it.
It was about saying that there is MORE than one way to take a "stand" against these things than taking a knee during the National Anthem.
It was about saying that you CAN indeed be against these things, support Kaepernick and yet still watch, enjoy and support players in The NFL who do take a knee yet continue to play.
I'd say many (if not most) Black people understand this about these issues.

Clearly you're not one of them.
I'm guessing you're one of the "all or nothing" people I was referring to in my initial post....:dunno:
then you are either naive or completely dishonest if you unable to recognize that power / economics are involved and the only true way to seek change.

but yeah - if I let you tell it every artist that performed despite the Sun City boycott was really finding ways to support in their own way right?
After all most of the production and venue employees are black and get paid so they need support too

You are the type of person that would have told black people they can be in support of the Montgomery bus boycott while they riding in the back of the bus

Each person will do what their conscience allows - but don't try and justify self indulgent choices with rationalizations of personal support - that shit is just a weak cop out, the irresponsibility of this era of "personal truth"

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah - if I let you tell it artists that performed despite the Sun City boycott was really finding ways to support in their own way right?
After all most of the production and venue employees are black and get paid so they need support too

You are the type of person that would have told black people they can be in support of the Montgomery bus boycott while they riding in the back of the bus

Each person will do what their conscience allows - but don't try and justify self indulgent choices with rationalizations of personal support - that shit is just a weak cop out, the irresponsibility of this era of "personal truth"
Right.
I hear you, bro.
Think like you do.
Everyone else is wrong.
:thumbsup: