Dave Chappelle's new Netflix special Sticks & Stones....what u think?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Dave Chappelle takes aim at Michael Jackson accusers, #MeToo movement in new Netflix special

By Derek Lawrence
August 27, 2019 at 01:50 PM EDT
FBTwitter

MATHIEU BITTON/NETFLIX
Dave Chappelle continues to court controversy in his Netflix comedy specials, using his latest to take aim at Michael Jackson’s accusers, the #MeToo movement, transgender people, and more.

In Sticks & Stones, which was released on Monday, the 46-year-old comedian didn’t waste any time hitting the hot topics, diving right into the “f—ing gross” HBO documentary Leaving Neverland, which featured Wade Robson and James Safechuck accusing Jackson of sexual assaulting them as children. “I do not believe these motherf—ers,” Chappelle admitted to cheers from the audience. After adding that he’s a “victim blamer,” he declared, “Even if he did it…I mean, it’s Michael Jackson. I know more than half of the people in this room have been molested in their lives, but it wasn’t no goddamn Michael Jackson, was it? This kid got his d— sucked by the King of Pop…I know it seems harsh but man someone’s got to teach these kids there’s no such thing as a free trip to Hawaii. He’s going to want to look at your butthole or something.” He then went on to argue that Robson and Safechuck must by lying since Macaulay Culkin has repeatedly said the musician never assaulted him. “I’m not a pedophile, but, if I was, Macaulay Culkin is the first kid I’m f—ing,” joked Chappelle.

The discussion on Jackson served as a transition to R. Kelly, who was arrested earlier this year on sexual assault charges. “R. Kelly is different,” said Chappelle. “If I’m a betting man, I’m probably putting my money on he did that s—.” He then revealed that he didn’t participate in the Surviving R. Kelly documentary because “I don’t know this n—– at all. I don’t know anything.”

Throughout the special, Chappelle railed against cancel culture, which he deemed to be “celebrity hunting season.” “I’m goddamn sick of it,” he declared. “I can’t live in this new world that you’re proposing.” He proceeded to defend fellow comedians Louis C.K. and Kevin Hart. With C.K., Chappelle argued that he didn’t hurt anyone with his sexual misconduct.

“I’m sorry, ladies, I’ve just got a f—ing #MeToo headache,” he said. “It’s really f—ing tough to watch what’s going on. Ladies, I said it in my last special, and I got in a lot of trouble for this, I told you you were right, but the way you’re going about it is not going to work. But I’m biased, I said it. Louis C.K. was a very good friend of mine before he died in that terrible masturbation accident…He didn’t do anything you can call the police for. I dare you to try….They ruined this n—-’s life, and now he’s coming back playing comedy clubs and they’re acting like if he’s able to do that that’s going to hurt women. What the f— is your agenda, ladies?”

When it came to “poor Kevin Hart,” Chappelle used the controversy surrounding Hart’s homophobic tweets and the Jumanji star subsequently stepping down as the host of the Oscars as a way into responding to the criticism he took for his previous jokes about transgender people. Chappelle says he and Hart broke the “unwritten and unspoken rule of show business” that “no matter what you do in your artistic expression, you are never, ever allowed to upset the alphabet people,” referring to the LGBTQIA+ community. “I don’t know what you know about Kevin, but I know that Kevin Hart is damn-near perfect,” said Chappelle. “As close to perfect as anybody I’ve ever seen. In fact, Kevin is precisely four tweets shy of being perfect.”

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So were people "soft" for the audacity to be offended at Michael Richards's "jokes"? (Since jokes seem to be the only magical form of expression above criticism.)

He wasn't joking though. None of that was material intended to generate a laugh, he lost his cool on stage and got real. He fucked up by apologizing and admitting he lost his cool. He should have said it was a character he was working on.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
racism exists within racial groups or are you forgetting the age-old light skin vs dark skin blacks issues...you seem to want to get into a pissing contest of who suffered more whose oppression is more legitimate... I don't see it that way.
If you've been reading along, you'll notice that I mentioned Caste systems but this discussion isn't an internally focused conversation.
This isn't about a pissing contest per se, but their whole model IS based off of Civil Rights. Some things fit, some things don't.

They are using their Sexuality as an Ethnicity and deemed worthy of the same protections as a Racial Minority.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Yeah, you gotta be willfully ignorant to call that Michael Richards shit comedy. He was clearly having a meltdown.

Right. What kind of point can you possibly be trying to make by bringing up that bullshit?

Like I said, pick from a million examples. Chappelle's tour buddy calling black people apes.

I was rebutting the premise that backlash at jokes "shows you how soft this generation is." Ignoring the entire argument to only focus on the first choice of example is a pathetically weak evasion.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
He wasn't joking though. None of that was material intended to generate a laugh, he lost his cool on stage and got real. He fucked up by apologizing and admitting he lost his cool. He should have said it was a character he was working on.

Can you imagine a joke that receives backlash because it is legitimately offensive rather than today's kids being overly sensitive?

That's what is important, not whether or not that specific example counts as comedy.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you've been reading along, you'll notice that I mentioned Caste systems but this discussion isn't an internally focused conversation.
This isn't about a pissing contest per se, but their whole model IS based off of Civil Rights. Some things fit, some things don't.

They are using their Sexuality as an Ethnicity and deemed worthy of the same protections as a Racial Minority.

ethnic minority got killed for their skin color
gays got killed for their sexual orientation

ethnic minorities were denied things because of their skin color
gays were denied thing because of their sexual orientation

and if the argument is well gays (especially white ones) can just keep their mouths shut and live a good life..well if you have to suppress what you are and how you feel and can't openly express yourself in the same manner anyone else can, thats a form of oppression in itself isn't it?

generally speaking there seems to be more similarities than not. The main point is they are a group that experiences suppression and therefore have a grievance in our society.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can you imagine a joke that receives backlash because it is legitimately offensive rather than today's kids being overly sensitive?

That's what is important, not whether or not that specific example counts as comedy.

Offensive to who? When day made that "there's no such thing as good 36 year old pussy", the lady in the front row was scowling. Something being offensive is all up to the person hearing and interpreting it. I see so many people saying pedo jokes are never funny, but Jim Norton's Uncle Paul character is hilarious.

I can say, "I understand why you find that offensive", to someone to show some empathy.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
As far as the MJ bit dave chappelle's BEEN doing this and stating how he doubts the claims....remember this from like 15 years ago or so....

Dave isn't punching down he's being consistent and the people outraged TODAY...laughed at the bit 15 years ago.

SO WHATS CHANGED???

The indignant nature of today is at a fever pitch when it comes to things

The energy was in the documentary
Now that they're proven liars the energy is gone

It's not about being soft it's about everyone trying to be fake.

Fake is king around here not nuance not listening not retraction

Fake.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

and if the argument is well gays (especially white ones) can just keep their mouths shut and live a good life..well if you have to suppress what you are and how you feel and can't openly express yourself in the same manner anyone else can, thats a form of oppression in itself isn't it?

generally speaking there seems to be more similarities than not. The main point is they are a group that experiences suppression and therefore have a grievance in our society.

A counterpoint would be that not telling someone who you're fucking is not oppressive

It's not our business if we're not involved

I agree gay people should have all civil rights

I also will never compare a gay person to an ethnic person for the simple fact that a shit ton of the gay ppl who are from the majority feel the same way about the straight ppl from said background

There's no solidarity

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As far as the MJ bit dave chappelle's BEEN doing this and stating how he doubts the claims....remember this from like 15 years ago or so....

Dave isn't punching down he's being consistent and the people outraged TODAY...laughed at the bit 15 years ago.

SO WHATS CHANGED???

Yeap... consistent...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A counterpoint would be that not telling someone who you're fucking is not oppressive

It's not our business if we're not involved

I agree gay people should have all civil rights

I also will never compare a gay person to an ethnic person for the simple fact that a shit ton of the gay ppl who are from the majority feel the same way about the straight ppl from said background

There's no solidarity

okay...to play devil advocate...how would feel if you couldn't hold the hand of your SO in public? How about if you give your SO a romantic look and the people around you stared and mean mugged you and made disgusted noises?

How about if you're at work and a co-worker's SO showed up and it's clear they're a couple BUT when your SO comes to visit or meet up they have to pretend they're your platonic friend.

Better not be seen walking into that hotel lobby with your SO like a couple becuz there MIGHT be a problem and your PAYING to be there.

you know who had to deal with all that...SAMMY DAVE JR WHEN HE DATED KIM NOVAK IN 1958. But you thought I was describing a gay relationship much more current, didn't you...:giggle::giggle:

When he saw the gossip item, Davis called Novak to apologize for putting her in an awkward position with the studio. According to his autobiography Sammy, Novak replied, “The studio doesn’t own me!” and invited him over for spaghetti and meatballs. Soon after, they were dating.

Arthur Silber, a close friend and companion of Davis, often chauffeured the couple to a rented beach house in Malibu. They went to great length to hide their relationship—Davis would sometimes lie on the floor of the car under a blanket to avoid being seen with Novak.

There was a rumor Davis and Novak had taken out a marriage license. “Kim Novak is about to become engaged to Sammy Davis Jr. and Hollywood is aghast there was a rumor Davis and Novak had taken out a marriage license. “Kim Novak is about to become engaged to Sammy Davis Jr. and Hollywood is aghast

By all accounts, Cohn was a ruthless studio chief who admired Benito Mussolini and had ties to the Chicago mob. He even wore matching ruby “friendship rings” with gangster Johnny Roselli. There are various accounts of what happened next, but what’s clear is that Cohn took out a mob hit on Davis. Gangster Mickey Cohen found Davis’s father and passed on the threat. Silber was there when Davis received the phone call. “They said they would break both of his legs, put out his other eye, and bury him in a hole if he didn’t marry a black woman right away,” says Silber. “He was scared as hell, same as I was.”

Novak, who has consistently asserted that her relationship with Davis was never anything other than friendship, has also said the studio ordered her to stop seeing him. They also placed guards around her house. “And I thought, this is ridiculous, I don't want to live like this,” she told Larry King in 2004. “I couldn't see what was wrong, do you know? What was so terrible?”

Soon after in January 1958, Silber was sitting on the bed in the Sands Hotel, polishing a cowboy boot, when he noticed Davis, sitting on the other bed, paging through an address book. “I said, what the eff are you doing?” says Silber. “And he said, I’m looking for someone to marry.” The woman he chose was Loray White, a black singer who worked across the street at the Silver Slipper. She and Davis had gone out a few times in the past. Now Davis offered her a lump sum (between $10,000 and $25,000) to marry him and act as his wife. She agreed.

But Silber, who drove the couple to their wedding suite, recalls that Davis drank heavily all evening and became so distraught in the car that he tried to strangle White. Silber restrained Davis and carried him to his room.

“He was so hurt,” Silber says. “His quote to me, as he ripped my coat apart at the shoulder, was, ‘Why won’t they let me live my life?’”

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...ite-movie-star-180964395/#8dOjte09poUVBz4R.99

its not enough to be quiet or just saying don't tell anyone who you're fucking.. it's altering how you have to behave in so many natural subtle ways... black people have to deal with that and gay people have to deal with that...

I posted it a couple of pages back but I'll say it again... dave was being purposefully provocative and literally telegraphed it and people STILL freaked out..thats just ridiculous...BUT that sword cuts both ways...

Everyone here laffs at the faux outrage by gays BUT if a nonblack comedian starts talking about ADOS (the 4th or 5th name we're on after negro, colored, afro american, and african american) reparations and some of the contradictions and hypocrisies black people exhibit in some of our arguments and issues in american society....do you think cats here would laff it off or would there would 10 page long outrage thread? saying that person is PUNCHING DOWN AND RACIST.

Mind you like Chappelle, that nonblack comedian is just purposefully being provocative for the sake of free speech and a comedian's right to ride the edge in the name of stand up comedy...

What do YOU think would happen?

Its only funny when your not in the hotseat...:giggle:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

what country name is homo? What century was millions of gays stolen from their country and forced into slavery for hundreds of yrs... Everybody got killed throughout the yrs for being something... From being females, to being weak, to being fat, a diff ethnic background etc but every1 of them get joked on.. Nobody tries to compare their causality numbers to black people other than fags and jews... Both their numbers combined still don't touch the surface of black lives lost and being oppressed

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
okay...to play devil advocate...how would feel if you couldn't hold the hand of your SO in public? How about if you give your SO a romantic look and the people around you stared and mean mugged you and made disgusted noises?

How about if you're at work and a co-worker's SO showed up and it's clear they're a couple BUT when your SO comes to visit or meet up they have to pretend they're your platonic friend.

Better not be seen walking into that hotel lobby with your SO like a couple becuz there MIGHT be a problem and your PAYING to be there.

I'd feel like I clearly am not 100% on board with my S/O because if I feel uneasy and give a fuck about what other people around me are doing looking at me and mean mugging then I need to go on ahead and cut it right?
Why does it matter if someone makes a disgusted noise at me? Why does it matter if someone mean mugs me?
If you can't have your S/O at work cause you're scared that people might judge you, what are you doing?

let's stop the fucking madness.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
i
Everyone here laffs at the faux outrage by gays BUT if a nonblack comedian starts talking about ADOS (the 4th or 5th name we're on after negro, colored, afro american, and african american) reparations and some of the contradictions and hypocrisies black people exhibit in some of our arguments and issues in american society....do you think cats here would laff it off or would there would 10 page long outrage thread?

They wouldn't be punching down they'd be acting like history has acted toward us lol
Anyone who's against reparations is doing exactly what they're told
Where's the part where Dave was AGAINST gay people and them getting civil rights or being able to live their lives?

You can say you don't like the jokes that's fine I'm not here to defend the jokes they're subjective
but let's not align with motherfuckers who def don't align with us when it comes down to it lol

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what country name is homo? What century was millions of gays stolen from their country and forced into slavery for hundreds of yrs... Everybody got killed throughout the yrs for being something... From being females, to being weak, to being fat, a diff ethnic background etc but every1 of them get joked on.. Nobody tries to compare their causality numbers to black people other than fags and jews... Both their numbers combined still don't touch the surface of black lives lost and being oppressed
again the pissing contest of who suffered more and who's oppression is more legitimate...what do you want me to say to that...personally I'm tired of black people being used as the barometer and standard of what oppression is or any kind of social issue there is...there was a study recently released that said that hollywood has basically ignored latinos in front and behind the camera even as theyre a growing demographic. In reading the comments and sure as the sun rises in the east...someone brought up black people blah blah...and I'm thinking WHAT THE FUCK DOES BLACK PEOPLE HAVE TO WITH HOW WHITE HOLLYWOOD TREATS LATINOS... I'm done with the comparisons...every group that has a grievance should stand on their own and make that argument based on theyre history of getting shit on...Lord knows its long enough and bad enough... and black people need to stop engaging in that shit.

gays complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered like we have!"
jews complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered like we have!"
indians complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered.... (pause)..hmmm...STILL they haven't suffered like we have!"

come on:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd feel like I clearly am not 100% on board with my S/O because if I feel uneasy and give a fuck about what other people around me are doing looking at me and mean mugging then I need to go on ahead and cut it right?
Why does it matter if someone makes a disgusted noise at me? Why does it matter if someone mean mugs me?
If you can't have your S/O at work cause you're scared that people might judge you, what are you doing?

let's stop the fucking madness.
youre nitpicking certain points when its about the over all experience... call it quality of life... the right be as comfortable in your environment as anyone else.
A man holds a woman hand in public....no reaction
A black man holds a white woman hand in public...reaction
A gay man holds a gay mans hand in public..reaction

I guarantee you two of the 3 couples in this scenario are going to have a problem with that. And those two couples shouldn't have to deal with that bullshit period. Whether its bad stares or threats to their livelihoods or their life.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They wouldn't be punching down they'd be acting like history has acted toward us lol
Anyone who's against reparations is doing exactly what they're told
Where's the part where Dave was AGAINST gay people and them getting civil rights or being able to live their lives?

You can say you don't like the jokes that's fine I'm not here to defend the jokes they're subjective
but let's not align with motherfuckers who def don't align with us when it comes down to it lol

To flesh out the scenario a bit..I'm not talking about a nonblack comedian..lets say, Russell Peters, for instance, talking AGAINST anything... he's just asking questions..

Russell could start by talking about ADOS and how that acronym is too broad a term..Who does that exactly refers to considering that slavery was prevalent in west Africa so do those west Africans who moved to America get reparations too for shit that happened in fucking Gambia 150 years ago because they're the African Descendents Of Slavery too? What about the fact that in some parts of africa slavery still exists so does some guy saved from that shit last week and immigrated to american get reparations too?

Should rich blacks get reparations because Oprah, Lebron and the Obamas look like they already got reparations like a motherfucker...

Then he can go into how different factions of blacks don't like each other..ranging from class to skin tone to education level.

He doesn't have to be against anything...he's just questioning all of it...pretty much like what dave did with the "alphabet people" all the while keenly aware of how black people WILL raise a stink for even questioning our shit.

do you think that line of comedy would go over well on black social media...honestly??

peep how he got away with saying nigga for 2 minutes...

Last edited:

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To flesh out the scenario a bit..I'm not talking about a nonblack comedian..lets say, Russell Peters, for instance, talking AGAINST anything... he's just asking questions..

Russell could start by talking about ADOS and how that acronym is too broad a term..Who does that exactly refers to considering that slavery was prevalent in west Africa so do those west Africans who moved to America get reparations too for shit that happened in fucking Gambia 150 years ago because they're the African Descendents Of Slavery too? What about the fact that in some parts of africa slavery still exists so does some guy saved from that shit last week and immigrated to american get reparations too?

Should rich blacks get reparations because Oprah, Lebron and the Obamas look like they already got reparations like a motherfucker...

Then he can go into how different factions of blacks don't like each other..ranging from class to skin tone to education level.

He doesn't have to be against anything...he's just questioning all of it...pretty much like what dave did with the "alphabet people" all the while keenly aware of how black people WILL raise a stink for even questioning our shit.

do you think that line of comedy would go over well on black social media...honestly??

peep how he got away with saying nigga for 2 minutes...

I laughed at this and the black folks in the crowd were laughing too. I laugh at funny regardless of the content. I can't laugh at gay jokes, asian jokes, every other joke...then take jokes concerning black people like statements. I'd be just as bad as the LGBT people only getting upset at jokes at their expense.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
again the pissing contest of who suffered more and who's oppression is more legitimate...what do you want me to say to that...personally I'm tired of black people being used as the barometer and standard of what oppression is or any kind of social issue there is...there was a study recently released that said that hollywood has basically ignored latinos in front and behind the camera even as theyre a growing demographic. In reading the comments and sure as the sun rises in the east...someone brought up black people blah blah...and I'm thinking WHAT THE FUCK DOES BLACK PEOPLE HAVE TO WITH HOW WHITE HOLLYWOOD TREATS LATINOS... I'm done with the comparisons...every group that has a grievance should stand on their own and make that argument based on theyre history of getting shit on...Lord knows its long enough and bad enough... and black people need to stop engaging in that shit.

gays complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered like we have!"
jews complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered like we have!"
indians complain...black people, "Well they haven't suffered.... (pause)..hmmm...STILL they haven't suffered like we have!"

come on:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

youre nitpicking certain points when its about the over all experience... call it quality of life... the right be as comfortable in your environment as anyone else.
A man holds a woman hand in public....no reaction
A black man holds a white woman hand in public...reaction
A gay man holds a gay mans hand in public..reaction

I guarantee you two of the 3 couples in this scenario are going to have a problem with that. And those two couples shouldn't have to deal with that bullshit period. Whether its bad stares or threats to their livelihoods or their life.

Really bad for them
Especially the whole don't ever get pulled over by the police or they'll get murdered for following directions type thing

Quality of life is exactly the same as mine

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
there was a study recently released that said that hollywood has basically ignored latinos in front and behind the camera even as theyre a growing demographic
i got a pitch meeting with cube vision in '09

not a single black face in the place

all hispanic

:cool: