Dave Chappelle's new Netflix special Sticks & Stones....what u think?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The only thing I disagree with you on is your repeated insistence on "that's their problem to deal with." As MLK said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." From John Brown through Stanley Levison, there were good white people helping every step of the way through the black struggle against white oppression. That's why I stand up for immigrants, LGBT, etc. (I am not equating these struggles to be clear-- I ride much harder for refugees and immigrants than the LGBT community, for instance, because the stakes are much bigger.) The bottom line is that good people stand up for what is right.

what I meant by thats their problem is they need to lead the charge if theyre in the hot seat of an issue. I totally agree that blacks and other marginalized groups SHOULD be allies in the larger fight again whatever oppressive system that affects us all. But like I said I don't think blacks should be the attack dogs that when shit goes down we're expected to be jumping in front rather than the group thats being fucked with in that particular instance....if they need help sure lets help they wanna organize a march on Washington fine I'm there...but they need to lead the charge on that.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

^^^ I don't entirely agree but a pretty reasonable analysis and an interesting excerpt.

I agree with Jay, if a joke’s funny it’s funny.

I hear about comedians being scared to tell jokes but I don’t see what jokes on stage that are the issue. Everyone keeps talking about and bringing up old tweets as the issue.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I agree with Jay, if a joke’s Funny it’s funny.

The issue with that is "funny" is not universal. Larry the Cable Guy's "I Can't Breathe" jokes would go over very well in some sectors, not so well on here.

I thought he picked good examples from the special, though. I agree the Macaulay Culkin joke was funny but even if you don't (as some surely didn't), there objectively was a joke there, whereas "I don't believe those motherfuckers" was Bill Maher style pontificating with no real attempt at humor even made.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The issue with that is "funny" is not universal. Larry the Cable Guy's "I Can't Breathe" jokes would go over very well in some sectors, not so well on here.

I thought he picked good examples from the special, though. I agree the Macaulay Culkin joke was funny but even if you don't (as some surely didn't), there objectively was a joke there, whereas "I don't believe those motherfuckers" was Bill Maher style pontificating with no real attempt at humor even made.

People pick and choose what they want to be outraged or have issues with.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
People pick and choose what they want to be outraged or have issues with.

So if this was a Larry the Cable guy thread and people said his "I can't breathe" jokes were fucked up, you'd reduce that to "People pick and choose what they want to be outraged or have issues with"?

I think people are sometimes actually offended. When I saw him making "I can't breathe" jokes not long after Eric Garner was killed, I was offended. I didn't start a petition or even start a BGOL thread. But I thought "Wow, that's fucked up." I guess I just chose to feel that way because I love being a sensitive little bitch. :rolleyes:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So if this was a Larry the Cable guy thread and people said his "I can't breathe" jokes were fucked up, you'd reduce that to "People pick and choose what they want to be outraged or have issues with"?

I think people are sometimes actually offended. When I saw him making "I can't breathe" jokes not long after Eric Garner was killed, I was offended. I didn't start a petition or even start a BGOL thread. But I thought "Wow, that's fucked up." I guess I just chose to feel that way because I love being a sensitive little bitch. :rolleyes:

I’ve never seen a “Larry The Cable Guy” comedy so I can’t speak on it. I’m sure Larry performs comedy for his fans and what he and his fans find funny.

Similarly to how other comedians say jokes for their fans. This goes to the point of looking and seeking of reason to be angry. If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying and picking things that they say finding reasons to be mad?

Again, I don’t know what “Larry” said. :dunno:

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I’ve never seen a “Larry The Cable Guy” comedy so I can’t speak on it. I’m sure Larry performs comedy for his fans and what he and his fans find funny.

Similarly to how other comedians say jokes for their fans. This goes to the point of looking and seeking of reason to be angry. If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying and picking things that they say finding reasons to be mad?

Again, I don’t know what “Larry” said. :dunno:

How do you become a fan of somebody without ever listening to them? You're talking in circles.

I don't remember how I came across this joke five years ago but I was not on duty with the outrage police looking for something to offend me. "If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying?" Good lord, man. No wonder you're so simplistic if you think the only reason someone would listen to someone new is to "pick things that they say finding reasons to be mad." :smh: You only listen to familiar people who you know you'll agree with? How the hell did you ever become a fan of anyone in the first place?

I like Dennis Miller, Jay Leno, Bill Maher, George Lopez, Dave Chappelle and Martin Lawrence. I take in knowledge and ideas from a lot of people and sources-- sometimes people I often disagree with, sometimes people who are totally new to me-- which makes me a more well-rounded person.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How do you become a fan of somebody without ever listening to them? You're talking in circles.

I don't remember how I came across this joke five years ago but I was not on duty with the outrage police looking for something to offend me. "If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying?" Good lord, man. No wonder you're so simplistic if you think the only reason someone would listen to someone new is to "pick things that they say finding reasons to be mad." :smh: You only listen to familiar people who you know you'll agree with? How the hell did you ever become a fan of anyone in the first place?

Those “Critics” critiquing Dave Chappelle aren’t fans of his, if they were they’d know the type of jokes to expect. Those people are part of the communities that he’s joking about and they’re offended that the jokes are about them.

But you know that don’t you? So you believe all of the people who were outrage at Chappelle’s special were Chappelle fans? Good lord man, you really are dumb if you actually believed that.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Those “Critics” critiquing Dave Chappelle aren’t fans of his, if they were they’d know the type of jokes to expect. Those people are part of the communities that he’s joking about and they’re offended that the jokes are about them.

But you know that don’t you? So you believe all of the people who were outrage at Chappelle’s special were Chappelle fans? Good lord man, you really are dumb if you actually believed that.

Dude, I'm a Chappelle fan. Every fan is a critic-- You judge and if you like somebody enough, you're a fan. It doesn't mean you support everything they say. And every critique is not "outrage," that's just a strawman shield against any negative criticism.

Jay Leno is a Chappelle critic. He approved of the Macaulay Culkin joke and disapproved of the segment on MJ's accusers. You responded "I agree with Jay." So clearly, some criticism gets your panties soiled and other criticism does not. But the true stupidity here is the claim that nobody ever disapproves of anything in a comedy special unless they were in search of being offended.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude, I'm a Chappelle fan. Every fan is a critic-- You judge and if you like somebody enough, you're a fan. It doesn't mean you support everything they say. And every critique is not "outrage," that's just a strawman shield against any negative criticism.

Jay Leno is a Chappelle critic. He approved of the Macaulay Culkin joke and disapproved of the segment on MJ's accusers. You responded "I agree with Jay." So clearly, some criticism gets your panties soiled and other criticism does not. But the true stupidity here is the claim that nobody ever disapproves of anything in a comedy special unless they were in search of being offended.

You’re misquoting and generalizing my statements so this conversation is pointless.

I don’t have the time or patience and don’t feel like typing to correct you.

My statement was that “Cancel Culture” is looking for reasons to have issues, not fans.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
You’re misquoting and generalizing my statements so this conversation is pointless.

I don’t have the time or patience and don’t feel like typing to correct you.

My statement was that “Cancel Culture” is looking for reasons to have issues, not fans.

You're under no obligation to respond to me. I did not misquote nor did I generalize. You contradicted yourself.

The fundamental flaw in your argument is that all critiques do not stem from cancel culture nor are they all issued in bad faith. You asking "If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying" is crazy and anybody who lives their life that way will be culturally and intellectually stunted. I did not watch Larry the Cable Guy looking to be offended, I just found myself offended. And I wasn't even offended by Chappelle, I just thought some of his material was brilliant and some of it was dumb. It's wild that some people are so closed-minded that any criticism turns you into the "outrage police" and an agent of "cancel culture." I want Dave Chappelle to keep making comedy as long as I'm alive.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're under no obligation to respond to me. I did not misquote nor did I generalize. You contradicted yourself.

The fundamental flaw in your argument is that all critiques do not stem from cancel culture nor are they all issued in bad faith. You asking "If you’re not a fan of said comedian, why are you listening to what they’re saying" is crazy and anybody who lives their life that way will be culturally and intellectually stunted. I did not watch Larry the Cable Guy looking to be offended, I just found myself offended. And I wasn't even offended by Chappelle, I just thought some of his material was brilliant and some of it was dumb. It's crazy that, to some people, any criticism turns you into the "outrage police" and an agent of "cancel culture." I want Dave Chappelle to keep producing comedy as long as I'm alive.

The fundamental error in your thinking is at no point did I say "All" critiques stem from cancel culture and that's the part that you're stuck on. I never stated "All" of anything so your argument and issues are your perceptions of what I said. Not what I said or meant.

I'm specifically speaking about cancel culture, those people aren't fans of the comedians that they're speaking on. Cancel culture got Shane Gillis fired from SNL. They weren't fans of his work, someone remembered and found a vid of him speaking about Asians.

The same way cancel culture hunted for tweets Kevin Hart made 10 years ago to have an issue with.

Lastly, when I spoke about people looking at comedians that they're not fans of looking to have an issue to be outraged. I wasn't speaking about you watching Larry The Cable Guy. I was actually thinking and speaking about Louis CK and critics who had issues with what he said during his first show back in NY. But judging by your responses, you assumed that I was speaking about you.

Again, I'm speaking about cancel culture looking to find issues with what's being said. Not about regular people being offended by jokes said by comedians.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
The fundamental error in your thinking is at no point did I say "All" critiques stem from cancel culture and that's the part that you're stuck on. I never stated "All" of anything so your argument and issues are your perceptions of what I said. Not what I said or meant.

I'm specifically speaking about cancel culture, those people aren't fans of the comedians that they're speaking on. Cancel culture got Shane Gillis fired from SNL. They weren't fans of his work, someone remembered and found a vid of him speaking about Asians.

The same way cancel culture hunted for tweets Kevin Hart made 10 years ago to have an issue with.

Lastly, when I spoke about people looking at comedians that they're not fans of looking to have an issue to be outraged. I wasn't speaking about you watching Larry The Cable Guy. I was actually thinking and speaking about Louis CK and critics who had issues with what he said during his first show back in NY. But judging by your responses, you assumed that I was speaking about you.

Again, I'm speaking about cancel culture looking to find issues with what's being said. Not about regular people being offended by jokes said by comedians.

You also said things like "Those 'Critics' critiquing Dave Chappelle aren’t fans of his" and, as somebody who was a major fan of Chappelle before he even had a TV show who had some criticism of the special (as I had some criticism of some sketches on Chappelle's Show), I can definitively say that is not true.

If you weren't speaking about my viewing of Larry the Cable Guy in post #499, it's definitely a rational reading of what you wrote. But I'll accept what you say now as in good faith and that it was not intended that way.

I don't think "cancel culture" even exists as this powerful boogeyman people make it out to be. Is Dave Chappelle cancelled? No, despite his claims that you can't talk about "the alphabet people," he's making millions and will continue to. Is Kevin Hart "cancelled"? No, he just didn't get to host the Grammy's but he can still go on Ellen in front of millions of people and the dude will continue to make many movies and many millions. Is Bill Burr cancelled? No, he just postures about how he won't be able to do another special after his last one because he's so darn edgy. Is Shane Gillis "cancelled"? Or is he more famous than ever and a martyr/hero to the many millions who love to be outraged at other people's supposed outrage?

It seems that most people who use that term are speaking very broadly. As Geechidan did a very good job of laying out, the idea of "cancelling" bad behavior is nothing new-- Justin Treadeau might be sitting around right now bitching about people who aren't fans of his trying to "cancel" him for what he views as meaningless acts years ago, but the fact is blackface has been made unacceptable today where it was not something people got "cancelled" for in the not too distant past. Michael Richards likely lost work because he became toxic for his offensive racist outburst. That's how marketing and capitalism work-- Even Tiger Woods got "cancelled" by some brands at one point when he became a liability. The NBA "cancelled" Donald Sterling in similar fashion! I could list examples forever. It's nothing new. And while there are some people out there hunting for their moment in the spotlight by being the person to unearth dirt on a Kevin Hart or some just-drafted athlete, it hardly amounts to a culture. This never-ending griping about "cancel culture" is nothing but bullshit reactionaryism.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

Why is this okay but the shit in the special not..He's been making fun of folks for years yet when other groups get their turn it's a fucking problem now....

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Real good discussion here. I'm a long time Chappelle fan (he's my comedy GOAT) and dug the special though it wasn't his best by far imo. Times change and shit evolves man, I'm coming to terms with it as I get older. As an 80s baby I grew up with a certain muscular sensibility of what's funny to me. My friends and I would roast each other savagely... there's certain language that we used ("fag" for example) that I still occasionally use here on BGOL that I wouldn't dream of using in public because I'm not a raging asshole... and am cool with folks being who they are... that shit is no skin off my back. I dont think folks should be overly sensitive about comedy but I'm also self aware enough to know that not everyone shares my perspective or experiences.

I am def getting tired of comedians whining endlessly about PC culture etc. Yea folks are a lil too sensitive sometimes but stfu like comedians aren't raking in untold millions to do Netflix specials all about how they "can't say" this or that (with tonedeaf and ironic specials named "Triggered" or "Silenced" or some shit lmao). You can say whatever tf you want and folks will receive it however tf they will. Just be funny! Watching comedians rally around that Shane Gillis asshole was lame as hell imo

Silencer

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:confused: Huh? It was all part of the jokes he was telling surrounding the topic of Mike & child molestation. It wasn't just a statement by itself. He said I don't believe them, then said he was a victim blamer. He said he didn't believe them but even if they were telling the truth they got molested by the King of Pop. It was all part of the joke. He's not up there giving a Ted Talk, he's telling jokes. We don't know what he really feels.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Still Processing is a New York Times culture podcast hosted by Jenna Wortham, who works for the New York Times Magazine, and Wesley Morris, the paper's critic at large.[1] The show debuted on September 8, 2016. Still Processing won a 2017 Webby Award in the Podcast & Digital Audio category, and was nominated for a 2019 Shorty Award. [2][3]

bgque12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As a professional comedian, I thank Chappelle for saying what needed to be said. And he said it in Atlanta! As far as him saying he doesn't believe those ids, hell the majority of people don't believe them.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To have had an 8 year absence he is doing alright. Kat Williams said he was promised half of what he could make for comedy central. When he made 500 million they said half of that was to much to give him so they said they would give him a tenth of what he made them. Something he was upset about and that is when they bought the dress to him to wear and he walked. They told him they would have him looking like a crazy crack head before night fall.
Even if his comeback was not what he expected or us it is against the odds that he was even able to make a come back. Also Kat Williams said that instead of a mansion he had bought a farm was why he could take 8 years off.
Just like the lady that was a raw vegan and grew her own food and used barrels to catch rain water to water her plants. It is something about this and I do not think they want other blacks catching on. For brothers like me finally getting some real money it would mean the promotion of some real food referred to as food of the Gods. We are talking about Bee Pollen, Bee Propolis, and Royal Jelly. Besides investing in our clothes we should also investing in real organic farming and things like that. We need land to finally call our own that is not white controlled or under the control of white ideas, white values, etc. Some real holy land to keep pure and black. 100 percent black.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Priceless

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

cLTjY7.jpg

She deserves a bump

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Bruh, I was stationed out in Colorado, and one night during a snowstorm, I was craving a double Whopper. I thought about walking, because we had a BK on post, then I thought, "Fuck it! I'll just drive!". Then I actually went outside. Man, that was the best 2 bowls of Cap'n Crunch I'd had in my life that night!

Uncle Chuck i swear could do 5 good minutes at any club.