Carson Wentz, Eagles Agree to Historic 4-Year Contract Worth Reported $128M

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
The contract extension that we all knew was coming for Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz has finally arrived.

On Thursday night, the Eagles announced that they've signed Wentz to a four-year extension that will keep him in Philadelphia through the 2024 season. Given the way quarterback contracts work and how good Wentz has been when healthy, it should come as no surprise to hear that the extension is pricey.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the contract is worth $128 million over the four new years of the deal. That comes out to $32 million per year. The contract also carries a maximum value of $144 million. Most importantly, over $107 million is guaranteed. Schefter noted that Wentz's new deal set the record for the most guaranteed money ever given to an NFL player.

Wentz was understandably a happy man.

"Can't even explain to you how excited I am right now to be a part of this great city for this many more years," Wentz said. "It means the world to me. From the moment I got drafted here, I knew this place was special. I knew they had the most passionate fans in the world in all of sports. I knew we had the opportunity to build something truly special here. To be cemented here for this much longer means the world to me."

Since getting drafted No. 2 overall in 2016, Wentz has gone on to throw for 10,152 yards and 70 touchdowns while posting a 92.5 passer rating. He played a significant role in the Eagles' Super Bowl season two years ago, emerging as a viable MVP candidate before he tore up his knee late in the year, which set up Nick Foles to lead a truly stunning Super Bowl run. In his return from that injury this past season, Wentz completed 69.6 percent of his passes for 3,074 yards, 21 touchdowns, seven interceptions, and a career-high 102.2 passer rating, but once again saw his season shortened by an injury -- this time a bad back -- and was forced to watch Foles lead the teams to the playoffs.

Over the course of his three-year career, Wentz has missed eight regular-season games and five playoff games. That's not something that can just be ignored. He's been very good when he's healthy, but he hasn't been completely healthy in two of his three NFL seasons. And the Eagles no longer have one of the best backup situations in football to bail them out in the event Wentz goes down again.

His injury issues led some to question how the Eagles would handle contract negotiations. By signing him to a long-term deal after letting Foles walk in free agency, the Eagles have signaled they're comfortable with his health and plan to build around him in the long term. Provided Wentz can stay healthy, they have the look of a team that can compete for championships over the next few years.

That said, once Wentz's new money kicks in, the Eagles will find it more difficult to maintain a talented roster around their pricey quarterback. For the past few years, they've had the luxury of operating with a quarterback playing under his rookie deal, which allowed them to spend their money elsewhere. That luxury is about to expire. The question now becomes, can Wentz stay healthy enough to justify the contract? There's no way for anyone to know the answer to that question.

How much the Eagles are paying Wentz impacts more than just the Eagles. The Cowboys and Rams, both of whom have decisions to make about Dak Prescott and Jared Goff, have to be paying close attention as they potentially try to sign their own quarterbacks to long-term extensions this summer.

As CBS Sports' Joel Corry, a former sports agent, pointed out, Wentz and Goff share an agent.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
SJM-49ERS-1107-24.jpg

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
The contract extension that we all knew was coming for Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz has finally arrived.

On Thursday night, the Eagles announced that they've signed Wentz to a four-year extension that will keep him in Philadelphia through the 2024 season. Given the way quarterback contracts work and how good Wentz has been when healthy, it should come as no surprise to hear that the extension is pricey.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the contract is worth $128 million over the four new years of the deal. That comes out to $32 million per year. The contract also carries a maximum value of $144 million. Most importantly, over $107 million is guaranteed. Schefter noted that Wentz's new deal set the record for the most guaranteed money ever given to an NFL player.

Wentz was understandably a happy man.

"Can't even explain to you how excited I am right now to be a part of this great city for this many more years," Wentz said. "It means the world to me. From the moment I got drafted here, I knew this place was special. I knew they had the most passionate fans in the world in all of sports. I knew we had the opportunity to build something truly special here. To be cemented here for this much longer means the world to me."

Since getting drafted No. 2 overall in 2016, Wentz has gone on to throw for 10,152 yards and 70 touchdowns while posting a 92.5 passer rating. He played a significant role in the Eagles' Super Bowl season two years ago, emerging as a viable MVP candidate before he tore up his knee late in the year, which set up Nick Foles to lead a truly stunning Super Bowl run. In his return from that injury this past season, Wentz completed 69.6 percent of his passes for 3,074 yards, 21 touchdowns, seven interceptions, and a career-high 102.2 passer rating, but once again saw his season shortened by an injury -- this time a bad back -- and was forced to watch Foles lead the teams to the playoffs.

Over the course of his three-year career, Wentz has missed eight regular-season games and five playoff games. That's not something that can just be ignored. He's been very good when he's healthy, but he hasn't been completely healthy in two of his three NFL seasons. And the Eagles no longer have one of the best backup situations in football to bail them out in the event Wentz goes down again.

His injury issues led some to question how the Eagles would handle contract negotiations. By signing him to a long-term deal after letting Foles walk in free agency, the Eagles have signaled they're comfortable with his health and plan to build around him in the long term. Provided Wentz can stay healthy, they have the look of a team that can compete for championships over the next few years.

That said, once Wentz's new money kicks in, the Eagles will find it more difficult to maintain a talented roster around their pricey quarterback. For the past few years, they've had the luxury of operating with a quarterback playing under his rookie deal, which allowed them to spend their money elsewhere. That luxury is about to expire. The question now becomes, can Wentz stay healthy enough to justify the contract? There's no way for anyone to know the answer to that question.

How much the Eagles are paying Wentz impacts more than just the Eagles. The Cowboys and Rams, both of whom have decisions to make about Dak Prescott and Jared Goff, have to be paying close attention as they potentially try to sign their own quarterbacks to long-term extensions this summer.

As CBS Sports' Joel Corry, a former sports agent, pointed out, Wentz and Goff share an agent.

Gawd damn... wasn’t dude still on his rookie deal.. they still had two more years to do this.

Man Eagles can’t win for losing... there was no reason for this

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I mean the more I think about it...

This is the stupidest shit that I’ve ever seen...

This makes zero sense...

Why do this!!
What you mean why do this? They have no choice. They traded two drafts for him..........they let Nick Foles go.....they have no choice but to stand behind his injury prone ass.

I get it but I don't. To me I'd make him play on his rookie deal.

But at the same time....if you wait you may have to pay even more next year or the year after. The QB market is about to get atrocious and its thanks to the fuckery of Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What you mean why do this? They have no choice. They traded two drafts for him..........they let Nick Foles go.....they have no choice but to stand behind his injury prone ass.

But at the same time....if you wait you may have to pay even more next year or the year after. The QB market is about to get atrocious and its thanks to the fuckery of Jimmy G and Kirk Cousins.

How much they gonna give Dak? :lol:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I mean why do this...
They look out for their own.
They had two years left on his rookie deal and year 5 option. This is stupid to re-up a injury prone player on a rookie deal with a year left. Utter stupidity.

Meanwhile, Dak somewhere smiling.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How much they gonna give Dak? :lol:
Same amount if not more lol.

He will continue to be injured because of his style of play.
What no one won’t mention is how he’s been hurt since college. Always some kind of injury.

They look out for their own.

They had two years left on his rookie deal and year 5 option. This is stupid to re-up a injury prone player on a rookie deal with a year left. Utter stupidity.

Meanwhile, Dak somewhere smiling.
He still has those two years. They just extended him. And while I think it’s stupid......Two tears from now when Goff and Mahomes get deals this deal probably won’t look as bad.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He still has those two years. They just extended him. And while I think it’s stupid......Two tears from now when Goff and Mahomes get deals this deal probably won’t look as bad.
You dont make initial investment assessments on results. You base them on risk. Every measurement we have on Wentz says this is a terrible idea. Goff wont get near this deal if he gets extended at all and Mahomes needs to get extended as soon as humanly possible because he is that fucking good.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
This shit gotta be about more than football gotta be. Something else going on behind the scenes, some major ass kissing or something.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

Dude they still have the 5th year option... They could do exactly like the titans are doing. Play out the rookie deal ... pull the 5th year option and see how he performs. If you max out.. Max out then. It's not they saved any money on this. They gave this dude 107 million in guarantees.

Why do this..

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
You dont make initial investment assessments on results. You base them on risk. Every measurement we have on Wentz says this is a terrible idea. Goff wont get near this deal if he gets extended at all and Mahomes needs to get extended as soon as humanly possible because he is that fucking good.

Even with Mahomes.. Id let that shit run through his rookie deal... I need to see another season with that level of production..

First time I saw Deshaun against us.... I thought that mutherfucker was the devil. But teams figured him out that second year.....

Mariota looked like he was on his way to becoming an All-pro his second season... with the hope that he would complete that turn in his third.. but the broken leg basically turned his third year into a waste and now I'm just hoping he regains some of the form of his second year... so we don't have to start looking for another QB. He hasn't been right since the broken leg. He has gotten a little gun shy.

Mahomes... is just heading into his third year. No one had tape on him before last year.. cause he played sparingly..

If he does the same thing that he did next year... then yeah.. You extend him after you hit him with the 5th year option.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
classic attempt to try to distract from the fact you're a sambo

Ready to have this conversation...after Colin got his money it's pretty much known now that he's never going to play in the NFL again...so here's my question? what was the end result of the protest? I think the fact that Eric Reid and others are still speaking out and the NFL is actually putting money towards social programs is bringing awareness to the issue at hand...i'm not an NFL apologist but I think there are some things that they are trying to do now because of Colin and the other players...

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Ready to have this conversation...after Colin got his money it's pretty much known now that he's never going to play in the NFL again...so here's my question? what was the end result of the protest? I think the fact that Eric Reid and others are still speaking out and the NFL is actually putting money towards social programs is bringing awareness to the issue at hand...i'm not an NFL apologist but I think there are some things that they are trying to do now because of Colin and the other players...
My decision to not watch plantation sports is not based on Colin's actions but on the treatment of issues regarding the NFL.
If you don't see the disparity in coaching, treatment of players, punishment, blackballing, the apologists for racist players, and the overpayment and glorifying of overhyped white players, then you are an idiot or have some serious delusion going on.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I mean why do this...

Hi my name is playa

I'm a recovering giant fan

And for decades it was f*ck the eagles

And yes this contract makes no sense

but i can't ever hate on that man cause he provides relief funds to Haiti.

But just as a casual fan now, i have no idea why you do this unless getting rid of fowles restructuring that sweet rookie deal will save you cap room immediately