Career advice- catching the next wave 2019 edition

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how might this help someone starting a career as an electrical engr in the defense contractor industry?? thx

In the defense contractor industry, the security clearance alone will get someone looked at and probably the required training needed paid for by the company if a held security clearance is active.

I know EEs are hella smart but I don't know what they do as they can do much of everything. I'm sure it's an EE here that can expand on this.

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
Not sure entirely but my recruiter said sometbing along the lines of Hardware -Radio Frequency work. But its a quarterly rotational position so iono

ok probably some radio communication stuff, integrating 4G, 5G modules into existing HW or probably related to FirstNet

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man EVERYBODY on this page should have a hustle they are turning into a business. Whether selling a product, or service.

On the low our Amazon sales in the last month is about the same as our Ebay, Website and store sales, COMBINED.

Their is always a learning curve but you will be rewarded if you stick with it.

water

OG Investor
Man EVERYBODY on this page should have a hustle they are turning into a business. Whether selling a product, or service.

On the low our Amazon sales in the last month is about the same as our Ebay, Website and store sales, COMBINED.

Their is always a learning curve but you will be rewarded if you stick with it.

dropshipping?

Efkie

International
International Member
I'll take a shot.

You have the AWS Command Line Interface (AWSCLI) for PowerShell, and AWS Tools for Powershell that allow you to run AWS commands from powershell. You also have an AWS SDK for .NET that allows you to programmatically interact with AWS services.

You can get more info here: https://aws.amazon.com/powershell/

Thx for your reply.
I don't want to come across of a knowitall but I was already aware of that.
I'm just figuring out how to use Powershell on windows and I don't want to learn Python untill I've learned powershell.

But looking on the net I see python mentioned a lot for AWS. SO I wonder how python is used ?
Is it also used to manage infrastructure ?

water

OG Investor
Thx for your reply.
I'm just figuring out how to use Powershell on windows and I don't want to learn Python untill I've learned powershell.

But looking on the net I see python mentioned a lot for AWS. SO I wonder how python is used ?

With python you cannot go wrong and it's something that you should have in your toolkit.

- scripting
- data cleansing e.g. jupyter notebooks
- automation e.g boto for AWS
- data science (very important)
- data visualization https://towardsdatascience.com/introduction-to-data-visualization-in-python-89a54c97fbed

Machine Learning Nanodegree:
https://www.udacity.com/course/machine-learning-engineer-nanodegree--nd009t

With regards to managing infrastructure using python, Boto can do this but I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience.

Cloud Formation is a way better tool to do this on AWS.

Boto you have more control but also more responsibility e.g. if i spin up an EC2 instance and want to use an elastic ip then you need to ensure the instance is created before the elastic IP is assigned

With Cloud Formation, it takes care of all the dependencies when spinning up infrastructure.

hope this helps

water

OG Investor
From Idea to MVP in 28 Days with Cloud Foundry

Liberty Mutual has a large transformation ahead of them as they learn to “become a software company that sells insurance,” says Mojgan Lefebvre, SVP & Chief Information Officer, Liberty Mutual Insurance. To do this, they embraced agile methodologies and took a cloud-native approach

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
Thx for your reply.

Puppet is better for automation but Python is free so it's used instead.

water

OG Investor
Fo those with Linux skills e.g. Linux Sysadmin, Linux Networking etc

Check out SRE roles at Amazon and Google

You know Linux and ok programming skills, you will be in

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Look into product management

Check out Product School, tell me if you are interested in what you are seeing.

Alternate paths that are not so technical but still in the technical field:

- Product Management
- Agile: Agile project management, Scrum master
- Sales Engineering (somewhat technical but not too technical- supports the sales team)
- Tier 1/Tier2 technical support: SaaS, trouble tickets, field support
- Data Analyst- Tableau, Microstrategy, PowerBI (tableau is the clear winner)

Check out youtube to get some more details about each.
Browse udacity as well to understand the different technology domains.

Thanks

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Working on my private label products. I got one I'm about to launch soon. I started doing retail arbitrage this year, then moved into selling china products that were already listed and sold well. Now the next phase branding my own products.
What is arbitrage?

water

OG Investor
I want to learn a new skill, but sometimes it feels like I'm too old to start. I know in 10 years I'll be kicking myself if I don't do something though.

What are some of the things you like to do?

Or what do you really enjoy doing?

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
What are some of the things you like to do?

Or what do you really enjoy doing?

I don't know how to answer this. I like teaching people how to do things and answering questions, providing solutions but I don't know how that relates to the skills in this thread when I have no tech skills. I know the basics of using a computer, and that's it. By the time I got one it was win95, so having to know DOS or any programming languages wasn't necessary, everything was point and click. I never did any of the site builder stuff that teaches you how to code and design sites. I never even mastered any of the Photoshop or print master programs to design things either.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
@water Do you have any advice on how to deal with being black in the Tech industry. We know it's dominated by whites, and racism and stereotypes aren't going to go away in our lifetime. How can we use "being black" as leverage? I don't mean working 5x harder because we're black. I mean using the fact that we're black as an advantage somehow. Is it even possible?

water

OG Investor
@water Do you have any advice on how to deal with being black in the Tech industry. We know it's dominated by whites, and racism and stereotypes aren't going to go away in our lifetime. How can we use "being black" as leverage? I don't mean working 5x harder because we're black. I mean using the fact that we're black as an advantage somehow. Is it even possible?

1. Actively seek out mentors
2. Actively seeks out sponsors
https://www.ivyexec.com/career-advice/2019/mentor-versus-sponsor-differences-and-how-to-find/

Black people naturally socialize but we don't talk about business enough at those social events

I host events at my house, have a dozen or so regularly.
They meet others in the circle, get to know what everyone is good at and we build.

Every black person in a high corporate position is 10x better then his/her peers

Think about that............

it means that we can easily put some pieces together and make some shit happen.

have you seen "the Black Godfather" on Netflix?

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
1. Actively seek out mentors
2. Actively seeks out sponsors
https://www.ivyexec.com/career-advice/2019/mentor-versus-sponsor-differences-and-how-to-find/

Black people naturally socialize but we don't talk about business enough at those social events

I host events at my house, have a dozen or so regularly.
They meet others in the circle, get to know what everyone is good at and we build.

Every black person in a high corporate position is 10x better then his/her peers

Think about that............

it means that we can easily put some pieces together and make some shit happen.

have you seen "the Black Godfather" on Netflix?
Thanks. I'll start looking for sponsors as well. I already tried with a black mentor, but he was too busy. Do you recommend just any mentor or someone specifically black? I found some general "find a mentor" websites for Machine Learning. Most everyone in there is white.

water

OG Investor
Thanks. I'll start looking for sponsors as well. I already tried with a black mentor, but he was too busy. Do you recommend just any mentor or someone specifically black? I found some general "find a mentor" websites for Machine Learning. Most everyone in there is white.

The key is to not be explicit in asking/calling them mentors

Just sent a text about stuff asking for their guidance

Some people don't like it to be formal