Career advice- catching the next wave 2019 edition

wayne

Star
BGOL Investor
Great post! I would add some development background to this list (Python, Node.js, etc.). These days, even Ops jobs need to have some programming fundamentals.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
DevOps, I need to learn this or I’m going to be out of a job or making less. Good info

I made the switch to DevOps a couple years ago.

Main skills you’ll need (along with what the OP posted)

Python,
Git/Git Hub
CI/CD (Jenkins)

Also, DevOps has split off into Site Reliability Engineers where DevOps is more coding and maintaining the deployment pipeline and SREs mainly manage and maintain the infrastructure.

I used the OP’s previous thread and changed careers. Got my AWS cert and educated myself on the industry. Increased my salary by 50% and I have recruiters contacting me every day.

Good luck Bruh.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
@water what do you suggest for someone who has zero IT or programming experience and has rarely even used a computer? I mean zero knowledge about anything. Where do you start from scratch?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Python,
Git/Git Hub
CI/CD (Jenkins)

Also, DevOps has split off into Site Reliability Engineers where DevOps is more coding and maintaining the deployment pipeline and SREs mainly manage and maintain the infrastructure.

I used the OP’s previous thread and changed careers. Got my AWS cert and educated myself on the industry. Increased my salary by 50% and I have recruiters contacting me every day.

Good luck Bruh.
What's an AWS Certification

One2One1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Python,
Git/Git Hub
CI/CD (Jenkins)

Good luck Bruh.

Did you get the DevOps Cert? Or which Cert(s) did you obtain?

How soon after were you working in the field?

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
Did you get the DevOps Cert? Or which Cert(s) did you obtain?

How soon after were you working in the field?

I got the Solutions Architect Associate cert.
Then I signed up for the free year AWS account and practiced. Watched all the AWS Invent videos. Took about 6 months of getting my skills up and my knowledge up.

What I would do when applying is do some research on the company and see from the job description what needs they have them write up a detailed proposal of how I would go about helping them solve their issues.

This almost always got me an interview. From there, you just need to sell yourself and your knowledge.

I cannot stress enough though, really research the DevOps space. They will forgive you for not having used a lot of this stuff because a lot is new. But you need to what all of the parts do and what strengths and weaknesses are.

So when you get questions, you can talk on it:

How would you deploy infrastructure? Terraform
Configuration management? Puppet or ansible
Containers? Docker
Orchestration? Kubernetes or ECS
Cloud Provider? AWS or Google Cloud or Azure
CI/CD? Jenkins and Circle CI

Etc. they want to know that you study this stuff and you know where to find answers.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
All,

Been a while but still got love for everyone.

Wanted to put cats up on the net wave, catch it early and spring board your career or pivot what you are doing right now.

Tech skills
- docker containers
- kubernetes
- Serverless
- Streaming architecture
- Devops
- DevOpSec
A good resource is https://aws.amazon.com/architecture/well-architected/

Industries:
IoT- A lot of companies are enabling new revenue streams by enabling connectivity in devices. 5G is going to enable even more connectivity.

Retail/E-commerce- evolving to include Machine Learning (recommender systems etc)
AI as a Service is growing
Google Cloud Platform is building a marketplace of AI vendors
Google acquired Looker, they are trying to push into the enterprise

AWS is also moving more aggressively to grow the next generation of $billion companies.
They are growing out their Professional Services team to enable this

Training
Udacity has several relevant nanodegrees.
ACloud Guru
Linux Academy
Youtube

Jobs
https://angel.co/
https://hired.com/
https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
https://www.indeed.com/
Facebook & Google can hie fast enough, don't ignore them, check out their career page

Linkedin
Update your profile
Be active, posting relevant articles, commenting etc
Connect with recruiters
A good place to be found.

Summary
A lot of companies are going through a technology transition and there is an acute shortage of talent.
Re-skill and get paid now.

Don't get caught up on news, they get paid by the amount of engagement they generate.
Movies? The cast already got paid.

Invest 1-2hrs a day on preparing for the future you.

Peace.

5 star post!

*two cents*

One2One1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got the Solutions Architect Associate cert.
Then I signed up for the free year AWS account and practiced. Watched all the AWS Invent videos. Took about 6 months of getting my skills up and my knowledge up.

What I would do when applying is do some research on the company and see from the job description what needs they have them write up a detailed proposal of how I would go about helping them solve their issues.

This almost always got me an interview. From there, you just need to sell yourself and your knowledge.

I cannot stress enough though, really research the DevOps space. They will forgive you for not having used a lot of this stuff because a lot is new. But you need to what all of the parts do and what strengths and weaknesses are.

So when you get questions, you can talk on it:

How would you deploy infrastructure? Terraform
Configuration management? Puppet or ansible
Containers? Docker
Orchestration? Kubernetes or ECS
Cloud Provider? AWS or Google Cloud or Azure
CI/CD? Jenkins and Circle CI

Etc. they want to know that you study this stuff and you know where to find answers.

Thank you. Preciate the info. I'll apply it...

FUCKYOU

Cripto millonario vampiro
BGOL Investor
fuck working for someone, you will never achieve true wealth. Play the lotto and become a millionaire!

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
5G is the next wave but someone familiar drop some real knowledge on companies and there names in the industry so we can buy some STOCK and be equity shate holders.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
by doing what?
Working on my private label products. I got one I'm about to launch soon. I started doing retail arbitrage this year, then moved into selling china products that were already listed and sold well. Now the next phase branding my own products.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Always have a side hustle or two too. Supplemental forms of income are key. As for your main job ... do something that isn't completely taxing on you. Work you don't dread. Weigh the pros and cons - especially if you're in a field in which you've experienced various ups and downs. Definitely learn from associates and/or coworkers who know the ins and outs. People that are beneficial to your future success(es). People that are bettering themselves & can help you improve along the way too.

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
Working on my private label products. I got one I'm about to launch soon. I started doing retail arbitrage this year, then moved into selling china products that were already listed and sold well. Now the next phase branding my own products.

how did the highlighted area do?

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how did the highlighted area do?
I’m averaging about $1000 gross right now with the China products and that’s only two that I found. Net is about two thirds that. I found an app called Jungle Scout I’m using for find product ideas now. If you’re starting off new to Amazon selling use discount sites like Vipon, Snagshout, ZonDeals to get products at 70%+ off and then order them. Ship them off to amazon and sell on the same listing. I can make a post going into more detail sometime, but that’s the gist of it.

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
I’m averaging about $1000 gross right now with the China products and that’s only two that I found. Net is about two thirds that. I found an app called Jungle Scout I’m using for find product ideas now. If you’re starting off new to Amazon selling use discount sites like Vipon, Snagshout, ZonDeals to get products at 70%+ off and then order them. Ship them off to amazon and sell on the same listing. I can make a post going into more detail sometime, but that’s the gist of it.

how much time do you invest?

thanks.

Word

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This list is missing the 2 most important area's. Get Azure/AWS/Google Cloud degree that will go well with cloud orchestration. Cloud security is another big focus area.

KunningLinguist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Next wave I’m catching is entrepreneurial. I made it my goal this year to bring my Amazon monthly earnings to match the 9-5 by the end of the year.
I already have a personal concierge /butler service.....

Found that I really like facilitating things for people .

Through doing meal Prep I discovered an idea for another business. Yogurt Parfaits. People really enjoy the ones I make. I make my own granola too. Gonna see where this one leads

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm trying to commit myself to learning a skill, obtaining a certificate or license that i will use within 6 months on a quarterly basis. I setup a YouTube channel of industries or topics that interested in and saved numerous courses to Coursera, LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com), and Udemy. So far, I'm taking a forensic accounting and fraud exam certificate course. I'd like to learn coding afterwards, but am reluctant to, bc or the learning curve and my set timelines. I'll use this as a way to take a course or two and maybe discuss as I try to stay focused.

I want to make best use of my time and be successful with a skill or asset to readily use or add to my resume each quarter. Good post! I hope this keeps me motivated and on schedule.

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Make that post homie.