Career advice- catching the next wave 2019 edition

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
I made the switch to DevOps a couple years ago.

Main skills you’ll need (along with what the OP posted)

Python,
Git/Git Hub
CI/CD (Jenkins)

Also, DevOps has split off into Site Reliability Engineers where DevOps is more coding and maintaining the deployment pipeline and SREs mainly manage and maintain the infrastructure.

I used the OP’s previous thread and changed careers. Got my AWS cert and educated myself on the industry. Increased my salary by 50% and I have recruiters contacting me every day.

Good luck Bruh.

This is so good to hear!

congrats :cheers:

I had another AWS thread saying invest, posters would have already 200% their investment.

Anyway, the game is still early and evolving.

Serverless is becoming a big thing.
It allows AWS to re-leverage existing capacity when a while a user server/VM is sitting there being under-utilized.

Check out DevOpSec as well

water

OG Investor
@water what do you suggest for someone who has zero IT or programming experience and has rarely even used a computer? I mean zero knowledge about anything. Where do you start from scratch?

Look into product management

Check out Product School, tell me if you are interested in what you are seeing.

Alternate paths that are not so technical but still in the technical field:

- Product Management
- Agile: Agile project management, Scrum master
- Sales Engineering (somewhat technical but not too technical- supports the sales team)
- Tier 1/Tier2 technical support: SaaS, trouble tickets, field support
- Data Analyst- Tableau, Microstrategy, PowerBI (tableau is the clear winner)

Check out youtube to get some more details about each.
Browse udacity as well to understand the different technology domains.

Efkie

International
International Member
Can you tell me how the powershell usage is in the AWS cloud ?
I read that in Azure 50% of all Linux machines are managed using Powershell

water

OG Investor

you would be surprised based on the company.

Some SEs review proposals, do demoes for clients, answer some product questions.... anything else they bring in the prod Mgr, Engineers etc

example:

Sales Engineer
Leanplum4 reviews - New York, NY
$150,000 a year - Full-time, Commission

We’re looking for talent to join our world-class team (including but not limited to 7 ex-Googlers, 3 medalists from programming competitions, an ex-Adobe exec and an ex-VC)! Leanplum is on a mission to reinvent marketing automation for the mobile world, by empowering marketers and product managers to optimize their mobile apps with hyper-personalized messaging and user experience optimization, all without coding.

Responsibilities:

• Create and deliver highly personalized technical sales presentations in conjunction with the sales team
  • Take the lead to achieve technical acceptance
  • Taking complex technical ideas and functions and articulating them in a way that someone without technical knowhow can understand clearly
  • Working and traveling to meet directly with Senior C level executives
  • Collaborate closely with our product team to help influence product roadmap based on the customer’s needsProvide responses to RFPs and RFIs 20-25% Travel
Requirements:

• You have 1-3 years of sales engineering experience
  • You have 1-3 years of SaaS company experience
  • You have been part of a fast growing start-up in the past
  • You have an interest in the mobile app space
Job Types: Full-time, Commission

Salary: $150,000.00 /year

Experience:

• Sales Engineering: 1 year (Required)
  • SaaS: 1 year (Preferred)
Commission Only:

• No
Work Location:

• Multiple locations
  • Fully Remote
  • On the road
Benefits offered:

• Paid time off
  • Health insurance
  • Dental insurance
  • Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
  • Gym memberships or discounts
  • Commuting/travel assistance
  • Flexible schedules
  • Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
Paid Training:

• Yes
Management:

• Ops Manager

From Indeed dot com

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you would be surprised based on the company.

Some SEs review proposals, do demoes for clients, answer some product questions.... anything else they bring in the prod Mgr, Engineers etc

example:

Sales Engineer
Leanplum4 reviews - New York, NY
$150,000 a year - Full-time, Commission

We’re looking for talent to join our world-class team (including but not limited to 7 ex-Googlers, 3 medalists from programming competitions, an ex-Adobe exec and an ex-VC)! Leanplum is on a mission to reinvent marketing automation for the mobile world, by empowering marketers and product managers to optimize their mobile apps with hyper-personalized messaging and user experience optimization, all without coding.

Responsibilities:

• Create and deliver highly personalized technical sales presentations in conjunction with the sales team
  • Take the lead to achieve technical acceptance
  • Taking complex technical ideas and functions and articulating them in a way that someone without technical knowhow can understand clearly
  • Working and traveling to meet directly with Senior C level executives
  • Collaborate closely with our product team to help influence product roadmap based on the customer’s needsProvide responses to RFPs and RFIs 20-25% Travel
Requirements:

• You have 1-3 years of sales engineering experience
  • You have 1-3 years of SaaS company experience
  • You have been part of a fast growing start-up in the past
  • You have an interest in the mobile app space
Job Types: Full-time, Commission

Salary: $150,000.00 /year

Experience:

• Sales Engineering: 1 year (Required)
  • SaaS: 1 year (Preferred)
Commission Only:

• No
Work Location:

• Multiple locations
  • Fully Remote
  • On the road
Benefits offered:

• Paid time off
  • Health insurance
  • Dental insurance
  • Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
  • Gym memberships or discounts
  • Commuting/travel assistance
  • Flexible schedules
  • Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
Paid Training:

• Yes
Management:

• Ops Manager

From Indeed dot com

Man, sales engineers can make a KILLING off commission if they can get government contracts.

jgarner484

Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
All,

Been a while but still got love for everyone.

Wanted to put cats up on the net wave, catch it early and spring board your career or pivot what you are doing right now.

Tech skills
- docker containers
- kubernetes
- Serverless
- Streaming architecture
- Devops
- DevOpSec
A good resource is https://aws.amazon.com/architecture/well-architected/

Industries:
IoT- A lot of companies are enabling new revenue streams by enabling connectivity in devices. 5G is going to enable even more connectivity.

Retail/E-commerce- evolving to include Machine Learning (recommender systems etc)
AI as a Service is growing
Google Cloud Platform is building a marketplace of AI vendors
Google acquired Looker, they are trying to push into the enterprise

AWS is also moving more aggressively to grow the next generation of $billion companies.
They are growing out their Professional Services team to enable this

Training
Udacity has several relevant nanodegrees.
ACloud Guru
Linux Academy
Youtube

Jobs
https://angel.co/
https://hired.com/
https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
https://www.indeed.com/
Facebook & Google can hie fast enough, don't ignore them, check out their career page

Linkedin
Update your profile
Be active, posting relevant articles, commenting etc
Connect with recruiters
A good place to be found.

Summary
A lot of companies are going through a technology transition and there is an acute shortage of talent.
Re-skill and get paid now.

Don't get caught up on news, they get paid by the amount of engagement they generate.
Movies? The cast already got paid.

Invest 1-2hrs a day on preparing for the future you.

Peace.
I am currently a DoD civilian employee and I manage several contracts where we buy services, as well as, hire contractors to do specialized work. From a DoD standpoint, Cybersecurity is our biggest concern these days. It is very difficult for us to hire qualified cyber folks because we cant compete in salary, to what the bigger companies (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, Raytheon, and a host of other companies) are willing to pay folks with the right degree and certifications. Coming into the government as cyber, depending on where you live, we would probably bring someone in with the right credentials, i.e., Security +, CEH, NCSF, and variuos others. Entry level, the government would probably offer someone starting between 82 -92K, where as the companies I named before are offering double that right out school. If I didn't already have a masters degree, was a little younger, and didn't have so much time invested in my current career, cyber is the way I would go

water

OG Investor
I am currently a DoD civilian employee and I manage several contracts where we buy services, as well as, hire contractors to do specialized work. From a DoD standpoint, Cybersecurity is our biggest concern these days. It is very difficult for us to hire qualified cyber folks because we cant compete in salary, to what the bigger companies (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, Raytheon, and a host of other companies) are willing to pay folks with the right degree and certifications. Coming into the government as cyber, depending on where you live, we would probably bring someone in with the right credentials, i.e., Security +, CEH, NCSF, and variuos others. Entry level, the government would probably offer someone starting between 82 -92K, where as the companies I named before are offering double that right out school. If I didn't already have a masters degree, was a little younger, and didn't have so much time invested in my current career, cyber is the way I would go

For those considering cyber security:

Elasticsearch now has a SIEM plugin: https://www.elastic.co/solutions/siem

For those building on AWS:
- Shield
- WAF
- Cloudwatch
See NIST: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/tag/cybersecurity-framework/

MrSid

International
International Member
I can’t say this enough , IT operations is dead , everything is now automated . Devs can spin and destroy a machine using code . Hence why @water is advising you to think like a software engineer .

I have data centers around the world that I have never visited , yet I can control them all from my laptop .

water

OG Investor
I can’t say this enough , IT operations is dead , everything is now automated . Devs can spin and destroy a machine using code . Hence why @water is advising you to think like a software engineer .

I have data centers around the world that I have never visited , yet I can control them all from my laptop .

Operations is not dead but rather concentrated to the big dogs:

Amazon is hiring SRE (Site Reliability Engineers)
Google is hiring SRE
Facebook is hiring Production Engineers
Microsoft is hiring SRE

:cool:

MrSid

International
International Member
Hence my advice about operations . The big boys are the ones who doing the heavy donkey work , and we consuming services from them. I m also shifting so much of my operations into (put name of cloud service provider here ) , the only applications remaining in my infra , is geo location specific items which can’t be moved due to ie anycast technology and I m serving the content as nearest as I can to the consumer .

PJN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If someone was late to the IT game, what concentration would y'all suggest?

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Operations is not dead but rather concentrated to the big dogs:

Amazon is hiring SRE (Site Reliability Engineers)
Google is hiring SRE
Facebook is hiring Production Engineers
Microsoft is hiring SRE

:cool:

So I am an IT PM by trade but I keep seeing hiring for SRE's everywhere. How do I make the transition to SRE?

Site Reliability Engineers (or SREs) are another name for what we call DevOps at my gig. It's basically the engineers who write the automation or orchestration code for SaaS based software.

It's software development, but not hard core backend C++ or Java programming. It's more like taking python and other scripting languages and build scripts and to build, deploy, and maintain distributed software especially software on the cloud.

It's not really replacing true full stack software development, but it's definitely a complimentary skill. The easiest way I can explain the difference would be with your typical banking app.

The people who add new features in an update to it are software developers. The people who make sure that the servers get deployed with the update, scale horizontally and send alerts when their's a problem are the DevOps engineers or SREs.

The unique thing about it is they don't just fix the problems that happen, they make it so those problems never happen again via automation and orchestration. That's why they have to have a developer mindset and not just the skills of a system admin or dba.

brickcityhustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good thread. If they are paying $150k, then how much are they making? Lawyer with a tech background (wrote html/perl/java code by hand in the late 90s for large companies and then went into project management before law school). Where do I fit in?

And my goal is to be an owner.

brickcityhustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jul 18, 2019 - https://aws.amazon.com/events/aws-innovate-2019/

AWS Innovate Online Conference is a free online event designed to inspire and educate executives and IT professionals about AWS. At AWS Innovate, you can learn how to build artificial intelligence (AI) applications and machine learning (ML) models, choose the right database, modernize your data warehouse and applications.

Whether you are new to AWS or an experienced user, you can learn something new at AWS Innovate. AWS Innovate is designed to help you develop the right skills to design, deploy, and operate infrastructure and applications.

We recognize customers are in many stages of their cloud adoption journey, from exploration to super-users and everything in between. This conference will enable you to maximize innovation with access to scalable and flexible infrastructure.

water

OG Investor
Good thread. If they are paying $150k, then how much are they making? Lawyer with a tech background (wrote html/perl/java code by hand in the late 90s for large companies and then went into project management before law school). Where do I fit in?

And my goal is to be an owner.

figure out what tasks can be automated as you already know the legal domain.

Knowing:
1. The problems to be solved
2. The depth of pain i.e. the willingness for someone to pay for the problem to be solved

Those two are the critical pieces.

The technology used always changes over time but really get into the habit of brainstorm how you would solve problems (abstract away the technology).

Check this out:

https://www.lawsitesblog.com/2017/09/21-additions-list-legal-startups.html

Ravel-graph-2-43.jpg

https://outsideinsight.com/insights/4-ai-driven-lawtech-startups-changing-the-legal-landscape/
https://lexmachina.com/

https://www.judicata.com/

https://blog.judicata.com/introducing-clerk-848abbed8fd3

https://www.case-crunch.com/

https://startupheretoronto.com/type...how-courts-will-rule-on-employment-law-cases/

technology:

Use Elasticsearch and Kibana

prose00

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how might this help someone starting a career as an electrical engr in the defense contractor industry?? thx