Billions | Showtime Series l discussion thread

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
those are his childhood friends... they all made something of themselves doing ok - but not millionaires like Axelrod. (Now the friend made over a million or 2 because of that one trade.)

Dude is the first real thing directly linking Ax to inside trading... the backing of his trading account with firm credit will come back to haunt Ax - And the motherfucker took a picture of Ax in conference with the other hedge fund manager too - this is the first real mistake Axelrod made
and he was so calculated too. example not sleeping with that girl.

i still dont understand how dudes father buying the shares squeezed him. they got too technical with it.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Article on some of the real-life figures after whom the Rhoads and Axelrod may have been modeled.

Also the production team got access to the US Attorney's office.

http://www.wsj.com/a...ries-1451947972

Minor spoiler, apparently there is a very competitive atmosphere between US Attorneys offices and some of the lawyer and the FBI agents they work with have had affairs

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

i still dont understand how dudes father buying the shares squeezed him. they got too technical with it.
Ax & Co. knew the stock was going down because of an inside tip, so they shorted the stock which is short hand for a contract to sell the stock to someone at a future date for less than its current spot price. the higher the spot price goes from that point on the more money Ax potentially owes and the contract has an expiration / execution date... So pops without the inside knowledge available to Ax was trying to inflate the stock price. A trader with limited resources in Ax's position would be "squeezed" because in that situation they would face a margin call (the exchange asking for collateral) But that wasn't a big deal here - instead pops was trying to inflate the price long enough to force Ax to lose on the bet because of the contract date.

this episode was trying to really show on multiple levels how much of a master of the universe Ax is
Even with pops trying to sabotage the trade it was really a mosquito bite, nothing but an annoyance to Ax because they knew exactly when the bottom was falling out on the stock, he was never at risk of losing any money, his only weakness in this episode was due to an old friend that he misjudged

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

When you are D.A and your father gets caught doing dirty shit it looks bad on you.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
damn...I'm tryna hold off on watching last nite ep til the next ep drop this sunday since it's a long weekend so I can watch 2hrs worth...don't know if I can hold out tho

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Could sleep last night after the Super Bowl so I went ahead and watched. There weren't any fireworks per se, this was more of a character-building episode, not so much about plot, which I love because it winds up getting you more invested in the character arcs.

Really got a deeper look at Axe and what makes him tick. Great sequence were Giamatti was trying to dipose dude who is going to flip on Axe. Got a real appreciation for the daily high wire he has to walk to keep that empire afloat. It's cool to see a guy who has it all start to ask himself if it's all really worth it, and at what point do I actually start enjoying my life.

Also loved the part at the end where he left is homeboy for oversleeping. SMH... personal relationships can really cost you if you aren't careful. There some pro athletes that could learn from that.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ax & Co. knew the stock was going down because of an inside tip, so they shorted the stock which is short hand for a contract to sell the stock to someone at a future date for less than its current spot price. the higher the spot price goes from that point on the more money Ax potentially owes and the contract has an expiration / execution date... So pops without the inside knowledge available to Ax was trying to inflate the stock price. A trader with limited resources in Ax's position would be "squeezed" because in that situation they would face a margin call (the exchange asking for collateral) But that wasn't a big deal here - instead pops was trying to inflate the price long enough to force Ax to lose on the bet because of the contract date.

this episode was trying to really show on multiple levels how much of a master of the universe Ax is
Even with pops trying to sabotage the trade it was really a mosquito bite, nothing but an annoyance to Ax because they knew exactly when the bottom was falling out on the stock, he was never at risk of losing any money, his only weakness in this episode was due to an old friend that he misjudged

thanks for breaking it down

I have to watch that episode again

keone

International Member

:cool:

thanks for breaking it down

I have to watch that episode again
:yes:

daGr8&PowerfulOZ

Support BGOL
Registered
ok someone help me why did tara invest 250k? is that her retirement plan? if her boss starts to go in on her?

@LSN

She had a lot of respect for chick she helped. I think she just wanted to help her out. And probably make some money at the same time because apparently ol girl is good at what she does. I don't think retirement is an issue because in the first or second episode she said she made 8 times what her husband made. She's rolling in it.

keone

International Member
@keone , @havelcok
pay attention to the first convo of the show -with the trader that shot at the deer... then pay attention to Ax's last 2 scenes...
what i got out of it. is eat: him making money. shit: dumping every thing. then when they think he is out he will repeat the process?

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
what i got out of it. is eat: him making money. shit: dumping every thing. then when they think he is out he will repeat the process?
listen to the whole conversation of what Ax and the trader were saying -
I'm paraphrasing from memory - but the end of the convo was something like: I watch these things eat, what I've planted and grown like its a salad bar - all they do is eat, move, shit and repeat - how could something that dumb dare exist in the same space with me...

Jay_from_dade

RawStrippers&Nut N Models
Certified Pussy Poster
I have yet to watch this show with my full undivided attention. I just keep catching the good parts. Like the dog shit incident. His dad buying the stocks. The fake fcc raid. ect ect

keone

International Member
listen to the whole conversation of what Ax and the trader were saying -
I'm paraphrasing from memory - but the end of the convo was something like: I watch these things eat, what I've planted and grown like its a salad bar - all they do is eat, move, shit and repeat - how could something that dumb dare exist in the same space with me...
yeah i got it. thats how he alex prolly feels all the time. they are not on his level

The Technician

Formerly Commandernchief
BGOL Investor
@keone , @havelcok
pay attention to the first convo of the show -with the trader that shot at the deer... then pay attention to Ax's last 2 scenes...

yeah i got it. thats how he alex prolly feels all the time. they are not on his level

They were gathered around him like flies on shit...just needing to get in front of Axe.

I like Axe right hand man, the COO, I think. He's like the pitbull that Axe has to let off the leash every now and then (it was better displayed in the episode before the last).

Spiro (sp?) made Rhodes look like a pussy when he got that inside tip about his father.

The scene with the deposition of Decker was excellent. They really showed how these hedge fund billionaires think and the power they have, even though it may be understated.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
finally seen ep 4 man...show is def on must watch status...dude who play axe will get an emmy nod @ least

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor

damn you do this shit for a living?

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Last nights episode was soooo good

I hope they dont play up the romantic angle with Bryan and Kate- please dont make it a soap
chucks line about :nobody quits while they are ahead" is foreboding. Bobby should have gotten all the way out

chuck is a powerful man going to sex clubs...why would he risk his career like that?
no way he would be on the floor of a seedy sex club and nobody caught a picture

I think thats what might save bobby in the end

blackmailing or exposing chuck

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
chuck is a powerful man going to sex clubs...why would he risk his career like that?

ya man...trouble trouble trouble...doesn't help neither that he's jealous now too...his wife's on-screen time is limited imo but she will play a HUGE part in this...just wondering who's side will she end up on...I'm mad I won't be able to see ep 6 til probably next week fri...being able to watch it last nite throws off my schedule

The Technician

Formerly Commandernchief
BGOL Investor

I hope they dont play up the romantic angle with Bryan and Kate- please dont make it a soap
chucks line about :nobody quits while they are ahead" is foreboding. Bobby should have gotten all the way out

I thought about Chuck being caught, but he was in Iowa. Not many in Iowa will know Chuck Rhodes, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

right now the s/m is a non-issue, at worst it could be embarrassing...

Bobby was never getting out - it was all a play on the market

The last 3 eps are showing that because of his ambition and his father -Chuck is corrupt too - he just doesn't know it or is lying to himself - Chuck made professional mistakes in this episode that will come back to haunt him later.

btw - did anyone watch Vinyl on HBO?

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I thought about Chuck being caught, but he was in Iowa. Not many in Iowa will know Chuck Rhodes, the US attorney for the Southern District of New York.

i think it shows that he cant control his impulses
he is going to slip up again
and i know that @ViCiouS said it would just be an embarrassment
but this america we have plenty of politicians lose their job over sex scandles

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
not only that...but not seriously considering recusing himself from the case or @ least being less hands on and rushing to execute the arrest warrant strictly out of jealousy
no issue on bullying the farmer - thats S.O.P for prosecuters and cops, he never lied or broke the law.

not recusing himself and rushing the arrest warrant after the FBI agent reported minute by minute his wife spending the afternoon alone with Bobby at his "palace"... + the SEC case against the father, even though pops lost money, and didn't technically break the law- Bobby's operative can stir that up at his leisure