BGOL BLACK PANTHER Movie Thread [Black Panther: Wakanda Forever drops on Disney+ 2/1/23]

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
3) I'm not sure who posted it (perhaps @playahaitian) but a few pages back someone posted an article about colorism in the mexican film industry and about why a "white hispanic" wasn't cast to play Namor :smh: Like apparently this is a real thing down in Mexico.

Yeah. Some were upset when that indigenous actress, Yalitza Aparicio, got an Oscar nomination for Roma back in 2015. There were a lot of racist comments directed at her online. Fellow Mexican actors were calling her slurs and mocking her in brownface.

Yalitza Aparicio Overcomes Racism: ‘I’m Not the Face of Mexico’ | IndieWire

Mexican Actor Apologizes For Indian Slur Against 'Roma' Star Yalitza Aparicio | HuffPost Entertainment

Roma star Yalitza Aparicio: brownface Mexican TV parody stirs debate | CNN

4) We're going to how this goes when Creed 3 comes out because this will essentially be a "black" movie.

It's going to be a challenge without Stallone. Older white stars still have more clout overseas than established Black stars.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah, saw that. Wakanda Forever was never going to match the hype and box office of the first. BP is sixth all-time domestic at $700M. Crazy numbers for any film, especially one with a predominantly Black cast. Still, I'm a little disappointed it couldn't even crack $900M, especially after the strong opening. It pulled in better domestic totals than Doctor Strange 2 and Thor: Love and Thunder but fell short in foreign markets.
So much hate from black people is the reason why it didn’t do as much

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's not a flop, but 250 million plus 150 million for marketing is 400 million. Now, there is rumor that they pulled SOME strange world money to throw into Wakanda marketing. But even at $400 million total it needs close to 750-800 to break even. Most objective sources are reporting the same numbers.

Disney ain't trying to spend all that money to make 50 million. Best believe they are disappointed. It's no wonder after Wakanda came out and didn't do numbers that the Disney phase 4 leak hit. Best believe they are questioning whether or not a 3rd is worth it.

Hindsight is 20/20, but recasting Black Panther might have been the right move. Who knows. Marvel has done so much damage to its brand of late Wakanda Forver just got caught up in the mix. Hopefully they can straighten things out because BP was a force of nature.

D.C. would kill to 'only' make $50 million instead of losing hundreds of millions. :lol: 18 points, 3 assists, and 3 rebounds for Lebron is a bad game even at 38. For other players, it's a stat line they can only dream of even at 21. So flop is relative the way SOME are throwing it around. Marvel been like Lebron from 2008-2019. They still want those Lebron numbers but only Spiderman did that and it wasn't all them.

:hmm:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to work on these movies, bro. When I got asked to do the first one, it was like a moving train. I thank God every day that I was able to jump on it and meet these people, these actors, and to meet Chadwick during some of the last years of his life.

I’ll do it as long as folks will have me.

But I think it’s bigger than just me or Joe. Between the first and second movie, we made $2 billion at the box office, which is what matters the most to corporations. So I hope that it continues, man. I hope people are still making movies about Wakanda long after we’re gone.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So much hate from black people is the reason why it didn’t do as much

All those dudes yelling on twitter, message forums and youtube were just a loud minority. WF didn't perform as well as the first domestically, but the final numbers are just as good or better than some other Marvel movies. The problem was overseas. BP made $681M overseas, but WF is only around $373M. Thor: Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness both had worse reviews than WF, but they still were able to cross $400M. Which makes me go :hmm:

If Wakanda Forever just had the normal foreign box office run of a Marvel movie, $900M+ would have been possible.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
All those dudes yelling on twitter, message forums and youtube were just a loud minority. WF didn't perform as well as the first domestically, but the final numbers are just as good or better than some other Marvel movies. The problem was overseas. BP made $681M overseas, but WF is only around $373M. Thor: Love and Thunder and Multiverse of Madness both had worse reviews than WF, but they still were able to cross $400M. Which makes me go :hmm:

If Wakanda Forever just had the normal foreign box office run of a Marvel movie, $900M+ would have been possible.

PREACH!!!!!

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

I agree. But I also think the momentum of the franchise was gone due to Chad's death and COVID. And movies about Black people are always tenuous because you never know when whitey and asians will experience guilt fatigue.

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
@raze

Are folks gonna CONTINUE to ignore the fact that this was basically a sequel to the HUGE successful spiderman movie no way home

PLUS the illuminati????

They REALLY don't think that was a factor in its success????

How the hell is L&T up there? That movie was dreadful. I mean DC level dreadful.

And Strange 2 was an expository mess of a movie; extremely uneven but introduce characters and set the stage for things going forward, throw in a couple of cameos for stans to wack off to, and roll credits

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How the hell is L&T up there? That movie was dreadful. I mean DC level dreadful.

And Strange 2 was an expository mess of a movie; extremely uneven but introduce characters and set the stage for things going forward, throw in a couple of cameos for stans to wack off to, and roll credits

But that's 2 different conversations

It's not about Quality or popular opinion bro

It's about box office

It is what it is.

And if it was as bad as you say?

Ain't that impressive as f*ck?

And also kinda sad referendum on the viewing public but I digress

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
But that's 2 different conversations

It's not about Quality or popular opinion bro

It's about box office

It is what it is.

And if it was as bad as you say?

Ain't that impressive as f*ck?

And also kinda sad referendum on the viewing public but I digress

Yes, I know. It is indeed a sad commentary on who ponies up to see movies and even sadder about Marvel's slipping quality. Let's hope they can get back on track because I feel a resurgence of superhero movies will begin with the F4 and X-Men sagas. idk who Sony still has but they can keep Spidey. He's played out for a few years at least.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered

Don't insult DC like that Thor love and thunder is one of the worst in film history. I'd rather watch the early 90s straight to video fantastic four movie, even Ryan Reynolds green lantern flick is better than love and thunder. Thor love and thunder ranks be each Catwoman. I'd rather watch steel staring ray j and Shaquille O'Neal. That crappy ass movie doesn't even hold a candle to blank man.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yes, I know. It is indeed a sad commentary on who ponies up to see movies and even sadder about Marvel's slipping quality. Let's hope they can get back on track because I feel a resurgence of superhero movies will begin with the F4 and X-Men sagas. idk who Sony still has but they can keep Spidey. He's played out for a few years at least.

Ok I completely disagree with your Spidey take.

Holland is brilliant in in the right hands the next chapters could truly epic.

He ain't played out by any means

Now if Sony in their rush to create their own spiderverse f*ck up?

That's on THEM not Marvel

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I hear you but I try not to do that.

The public likes what they like

In reality we aren't really the target audience for this stuff.

If THEY like it? fine.

If WE like it? Even better.

I think the whole Marvel is off track thing is a little overstated.

Because Off track in comparison to who?

Itself?

And if we talking numbers? They are fine.

And the audience always claims they ain't gonna go to the theatre

But them same people be all up in these threads analyzing every frame.

I don't really GO to these movies with high artistic expectations and I don't think we should.

Of course there is a BAR. And on that completely agree. But I never worry about them tossing out straight trash. MARVEL has award aspirations for all these projects.

Love and Thunder was all over the place but even in that Bale was great the effects were great there were great moments and visuals..

They just let Taika go FULL Taika and that's the issue. You can't let Gunn go full Gunn either. But it will ALWAYS be interesting.

I think this next phase especially with Ant Man is going to be very well received.

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
Ok I completely disagree with your Spidey take.

And yet...

Holland is brilliant in the right hands the next chapters could truly epic.

He ain't played out by any means

Now if Sony in their rush to create their own spiderverse f*ck up?

That's on THEM not Marvel

That is what I said.

lol. We don't disagree, we're just talking about different nuances. Sony is the one who made Spidey boring by interfering in the production. If they just let Marvel do their thing it would be fine but they wanted to push the characters they own so they can do movies with them without Marvel. Yes, Holland is terrific (except he's sleeping with my next wife) but you can see from the second one how they pushed their shit into it, and from then on it seems like 2 separate movies.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And yet...

That is what I said.

lol. We don't disagree, we're just talking about different nuances. Sony is the one who made Spidey boring by interfering in the production. If they just let Marvel do their thing it would be fine but they wanted to push the characters they own so they can do movies with them without Marvel. Yes, Holland is terrific (except he's sleeping with my next wife) but you can see from the second one how they pushed their shit into it, and from then on it seems like 2 separate movies.

YOU ARE THE BEST

:roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3:

Happy new year bro!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And yet...

That is what I said.

I completely agree

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Happy New Year to my brothers lets thrive to build brotherhood and be able to disagree and debate but no matter what maintain respect.

Wakanda is possible in the mindset of building supporting unting in blackness to create our own.

Peace

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@raze

How can ANYONE call WF a flop

Avatar was in development for damn near 2 decades created revolutionary special effects

And the movie that had to be completely rewritten and without its lead actor and lead character is rivaling its numbers.

Black director Black female lead cast

And a bullsh*t boycotting campaign supposedly lead by black folk.

Flop my ass.

Wakanda Forever suckas

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@raze thoughts?

Last edited:

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

@raze thoughts?

He does this all the time and fans give him shit for it. Nothing really to see here.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@raze these new kids I tell you

Angela Bassett’s Son Swiftly Apologizes for Fake-Death Prank
By Jennifer Zhan, a Vulture news blogger covering TV, movies and music
Slater Vance and his mom, Angela Bassett. Photo: Jerritt Clark/Getty Images for Wearable Art Gala
That was quick. Angela Bassett’s 16-year-old son, Slater Vance, has apologized for falsely telling his mom that Michael B. Jordan had died and then posting the footage on TikTok. “I apologize to Michael B. Jordan’s entire family, his extended family, and him directly as he is an idol of mine,” Vance said in a 53-second video posted on New Year’s Eve, the same day he uploaded his since-deleted prank. “Taking part in a trend like this is completely disrespectful. I don’t wish any bad ramifications upon his family nor my parents as they deserve none of the backlash.” On TikTok, multiple videos have gone viral of children filming their parents’ reactions to being told their favorite celebrity has died. But Vance, a self-described pop and indie artist, may have been the first to break fake news about someone his parents actually know personally.
Bassett and Jordan are members of the Black Panther 2 cast, which already had to mourn the unexpected death of co-star Chadwick Boseman. In Vance’s since-deleted video, he pretended to announce Jordan’s death at age 35. Bassett was seen placing her hand over her heart and rushing toward the camera in disbelief, repeating, “Uh-huh, uh-huh.” Before the clip abruptly ends, Vance’s father, actor Courtney B. Vance, is also heard telling his son, “Stop it. You’re playing.” Clearly, his parents weren’t pleased; Vance quickly deleted the footage from his TikTok account. “I own this was a mistake,” he said in his apology, appearing to hold back tears. “I hope this can be a teaching lesson to anyone who uses social media as a tool and a source of entertainment to truly understand that your actions can have consequences that extend beyond you.”