"Bad" Chad Dawson vs Jean Pascal - Who Ya Got?!?!

merce77

Star
Registered
Dawson vs. Pascal this Saturday

Dawson-vs-Pascal1.jpg

By Jim Dower: Former two-time light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (29-0, 17 KO’s) will attempt to recapture the World Boxing council light heavyweight title this coming Saturday against WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (25-1, 16 KO’s) at the Bell Centre, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Dawson, 28, is already considered to be the best fighter in the light heavyweight division and has been for the past couple of years. Unable to get a fight against Bernard Hopkins, Dawson has had to be content with knocking off light heavyweight stars Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver over and over again in the past couple of years.

Pascal, 27, a former super middleweight with decent but not great skills, will be Dawson’s youngest opponent in the past four years and that could make it interesting if Pascal fights better than he’s looked in the past.

Pascal, however, has to look a lot better than he’s looked recently, because he doesn’t appear to be in the same league as Dawson is right now based on how Pascal has looked against fighters like Carl Froch and Adrian Diaconu.

However, Pascal has a huge advantage going for him this Saturday in that the Dawson fight will be taking place in Canada, where Pascal now lives and fights. This means if the fight goes to a decision, Pascal will have an excellent chance of winning the fight unless Dawson beats the stuffing out of him and leaves the judges no choice but to give Dawson the win.

It’s very possible that Dawson will win the fight even with it taking place in Pascal’s home country, but he’s going to have to really pour it on and beat Pascal badly, because winning decisions in Canada isn’t always an easy thing to do for visiting fighters.

But if there’s anyone that can do it, it’s Dawson with his amazing hand speed, size and boxing skills. Dawson has all the physical and athletic advantages in this fight. He’s taller, stronger, faster, punches harder and the better fighter defensively compared to Pascal.

All of those things should be more than enough to get an easy win. However, if Pascal is able to make it to the final bell on his feet he can possibly get a decision, so Dawson has to at least try to knock Pascal down a couple of times to leave no questions about the decision. Dawson himself is already aware that he may need a knockout to get the win and he’s prepared to stop Pascal.

I think Dawson is in a lil bit more trouble in this fight than most sports writers. Chad likes to take it easy and box, he didn't seem to like the type of pressure fight that Glen Johnson brought in their first fight. Pascal is a pure pressure dude with a hard chin and great power. My guess is unless Chad throws about 40-45 jabs a round to keep Pascal honest, he's gonna be in some trouble late in the fight because he seems to slow down around the 10th, doesn't have the greatest chin and Pascal loves to go to the body which will slow down Dawson even more late in the fight. This is too close to call but I'm gonna go against the grain and pick Pascal to upset Dawson by late stoppage. I just don't buy into Chad Dawson being "one of the top 5 fighters in the world", his best performances were against 40 year olds. On the flipside though, Pascal's not really a boxer, and could have trouble with the reach, jab and boxing ability of Dawson, so it wouldn't surprise me if Dawson sucks the drama out of the fight and wins a fairly easy decision, should be a good fight though.:D

Bones

Support BGOL
Registered
Chad by UD, Pascal is tough and won't be moved but I don't think he has the skills to upset Chad.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm holding pascal on this one in a close fight. In canada for one. Plus, chad fighting only older slower fighter over the past 2 years hasn't prepared him for a younger more athletic challenge IMO. I do believe it will be close enough to warrant a re-match and I do want chad to win bcuz I believe pascal would take the belts and hide in canada with them.

merce77

Star
Registered
I'm holding pascal on this one in a close fight. In canada for one. Plus, chad fighting only older slower fighter over the past 2 years hasn't prepared him for a younger more athletic challenge IMO. I do believe it will be close enough to warrant a re-match and I do want chad to win bcuz I believe pascal would take the belts and hide in canada with them.

I don't know, Pascal did go to Britain to fight Froch but I hear what you're saying and you're probably right.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Picked Pascal last week, and I'm sticking with my decision :yes:

Jean will put enough pressure on Chad to make him fight a different fight than in recent bouts...Glen Johnson had him in their first encounter, but did not have the power to really hurt him...Pascal does have that power (and speed) that would give Dawson fits, especially in the late rounds...I think that Pascal will take 3 of the last 4 rounds and get a unanimous decision

merce77

Star
Registered
Picked Pascal last week, and I'm sticking with my decision :yes:

Jean will put enough pressure on Chad to make him fight a different fight than in recent bouts...Glen Johnson had him in their first encounter, but did not have the power to really hurt him...Pascal does have that power (and speed) that would give Dawson fits, especially in the late rounds...I think that Pascal will take 3 of the last 4 rounds and get a unanimous decision

My mind is saying Chad should be able to hold dude off, but my gut is saying upset.

This is exactly what I'm thinking and feeling.:yes:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
With that being said Pascal has to dominate or KO Chad to win. Anything close or debatable will go to Chad.:smh::smh::smh:

Not in Canada Fam.... just the opposite. Didn't you see the fights this weekend... Alexander won by a LARGE margin... Hometown rules when it's close Fam!!! Plus, Pascal is a bigger draw in Canada than Chad is in the US, so that is another plus for him if it comes down to who the Networks side with in a close fight...

merce77

Star
Registered
Not in Canada Fam.... just the opposite. Didn't you see the fights this weekend... Alexander won by a LARGE margin... Hometown rules when it's close Fam!!! Plus, Pascal is a bigger draw in Canada than Chad is in the US, so that is another plus for him if it comes down to who the Networks side with in a close fight...

This is sad but true.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I didn't know it was in Canada. You are right. I'ma have to ride with Pascal. The boxing game is fucked up.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I didn't know it was in Canada. You are right. I'ma have to ride with Pascal. The boxing game is fucked up.

I'm not gonna trip too much if it is a close fight and it goes to Pascal. To the point, that is what home court advantage is about in any sport. It is a testament to Dawson lack of Draw that he is the major figure but he last to go to Dude's hometown to draw. Plus, I am not convinced that Pascal isn't athletic and skilled enough to pull off a legitimate win. I've seen him quite a few time and Dude's got game! The basic advantage Dawson has is height and reach, but outside of that, athletic and skill wise, I view this fight as a wash.

merce77

Star
Registered
From Foxsports:

In order for Chad Dawson to be recognized as the best light heavyweight in the world, he needs to do more than dance around with 40-somethings. Saturday, Chad Dawson (29-0, 17 KOs) faces a real test as he battles Jean Pascal (25-1, 16 KOs) in Montreal.

With Bernard Hopkins seemingly disinterested in fighting at light heavyweight, an empty throne now sits atop the division. After beating 175-pound dignitaries Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, Chad Dawson is now the standard bearer.

Despite scoring two wins over each of the elder statesmen, Dawson’s performances still seemed to be lacking. His tremendous speed advantage helped him get victories, but did little to win him any new fans.

His lack of box office appeal is now becoming a major disadvantage. If Dawson were a bigger name, there would be no way that he would travel to Pascal’s hometown for Saturday’s title unification bout. But since Dawson doesn’t draw very well, he now must enter enemy territory and deal with a historically-raucous fight crowd in Montreal.

Dawson has already garnered respect among the boxing media. He’s a fixture on all top 10 pound-for-pound lists. So what must he do to win the fans over?

An impressive victory over Pascal would be a good start. Dawson has gone the distance with every meaningful opponent he’s ever faced. A convincing, thorough beating over Pascal will catapult Dawson to a new level of recognition.

Since moving up to 175 pounds, Pascal has gone 3-0. He’s young and athletic, something that Dawson hasn’t faced since he became a world champion in 2007. While the advantage in speed may be up for debate, Dawson holds a distinct advantage in power.

Dawson has never been one to engage and attack, but he doesn’t have to do that against Pascal. As long as Dawson adopts a killer instinct and closes the show, he won’t be thought of as merely a technically superior fighter. For a man nicknamed “Bad” Chad, he certainly doesn’t have much of an edge. In order to win the fans over, Dawson needs to live up to his nickname.

Every fighter runs across an opponent that brings a little more out him than others do. Dawson had better hope that Pascal will be that guy for him. Pascal has the skill set and crowd support to push Dawson to the edge. It will be how Dawson reacts when pushed to the edge that will indicate whether he’s ready to be considered a dominant force in the division.

The light heavyweight division needs a jolt. If Pascal were to defeat Dawson, that would absolutely send shockwaves through it. But for Dawson to dismantle Pascal, in front of Pascal’s hometown fans, it would also send a powerful message to the rest of the boxing world. Dawson could rightfully assume his spot on the throne, proving he can rule with an iron fist.

If Dawson jabs his way to a victory by decision, then he will leave the fight with the same number of fans that he entered with. And he will find himself traveling to his opponent’s hometown again in the future. Some guys can get away with underwhelming in-ring performances yet still find a way to endear himself to the fans. But Chad Dawson doesn’t have the charisma of Floyd Mayweather Jr. or the impudence of Bernard Hopkins.

This is the time for Dawson to not only prove he is the rightful heir to the light heavyweight throne, but to gain a new legion of fans to follow him.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I'm not gonna trip too much if it is a close fight and it goes to Pascal. To the point, that is what home court advantage is about in any sport. It is a testament to Dawson lack of Draw that he is the major figure but he last to go to Dude's hometown to draw. Plus, I am not convinced that Pascal isn't athletic and skilled enough to pull off a legitimate win. I've seen him quite a few time and Dude's got game! The basic advantage Dawson has is height and reach, but outside of that, athletic and skill wise, I view this fight as a wash.

Dawson needs a good win to get peoples attention. He had Tarver twice, but even with Tarver's name, Dawson didn't get any parts of a rub IMO because he Dawson sat back and let Tarver self destruct instead of bring the fight to him. Also it does help that Tarver lost a lot of his shine, but I think Dawson should have done more.

At least with this fight Pascal is going to force Dawson's hands, and if Dawson does just enough to get a close decision. I would suggest he does the rematch before fighting Cloud. Not because Cloud is more of a threat but to make sure it's clear in everybody's mind that he is the winner before fighting Cloud, who is less of a challenge IMO.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I'll catch it sometime in the next couple days and come back but I will keep this in mind.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I like Jean not only cuz he is a slick boxer but also hails from haiti...

but I think "Bad" Chad wears him down for a UD.....

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Most def, dude doesn't seem to have much of a killer instinct.

I got money on dude.:lol:

nah I like Pascal and he hails from Haiti...:yes:

if Chad doesn't get aggressive he will lose....too passive IMO....

I predicted Chad will win by UD tho....

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Pascal wants to take off Dawson's head :lol::lol::lol: 4-1 Pascal

I like what I see and I picked Pascal to win a close decision (at home) but if Chad was smart he would time his lunges and Pascal's lack of a Jab may hurt him as he gets into the latter rounds....