Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Ain't no break even on options. That's only if I wanna keep the stock.

Your break even depends on how far in the money you bought the option. It is a good thing to keep your eye on in case you want to get out of the position early.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Best trade today, scalp of $KTB. Also was in $MARA.
f3HutNw.png

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Happy to get rid of $GNOG today. I don't care if it is going to $30 according to Chris Sain. I was bag holding that for months.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Happy to get rid of $GNOG today. I don't care if it is going to $30 according to Chris Sain. I was bag holding that for months.

Yooooo was thinking of getting out too! Forgot did a covered call just to keep making couple dollars off it. I got it at 13.91 though... I have been tired of seeing it but now that its up Im like dang

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Yooooo was thinking of getting out too! Forgot did a covered call just to keep making couple dollars off it. I got it at 13.91 though... I have been tired of seeing it but now that its up Im like dang
I purposely didnt do any covered calls this month to unload some of these stocks that should have never bought. lol

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I purposely didnt do any covered calls this month to unload some of these stocks that should have never bought. lol

I did it because I was tired of it just chillin. Will expire 16th I believe, and since its running Im like man maybe I will keep it. Thats my gift/curse, Ill keep something to long, and then Ill say when I get back even Ill sell. Will forget and when Im up 20% Im like oh well I guess Ill keep it.

Yea it will probably run now.

Yep I will for now lol.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can you expound on this. I did a couple of OTM Leaps just experimenting a little.

OTM is a strike price greater than the current stock price when you bought.
ITM is lesser than the current stock price when you bought the contract.

So if SQ current stock price is $240 and you buy a call option contract with a strike price $235, that is an ITM.

The reason ppl buy ITM because your probability of gaining profit increase.
In other words, you will start see profits faster than someone who bought contracts OTM.

Last edited:

Supersav

Rising Star
Registered

So if SQ current stock price is $240 and you buy a call option contract with a strike price $235, that is an ITM.

The reason ppl buy ITM because the your probability of gaining profit increase.
In other words, you will start see profits faster than someone who bought contracts OTM.
OTM options often experience larger percent gains/losses than ITM options. Since the OTM options have a lower price, a small change in their price can translate into large percent returns and volatility

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OTM options often experience larger percent gains/losses than ITM options. Since the OTM options have a lower price, a small change in their price can translate into large percent returns and volatility

Not really, but for stocks that are volatilite and you expect a significant increase, YES.

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The reason ppl buy ITM because your probability of gaining profit increase.

Ok yea I understand the terms, I just never did it and didnt really understand the why. Is it because less risk for you? They are usually very expensive, do you still do them a year or so out?

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

He talks about ITM options a little bit in the 2nd half of the video

Yes, with short term contracts, time is against you unlike LEAP.

Ok yea I understand the terms, I just never did it and didnt really understand the why. Is it because less risk for you? They are usually very expensive, do you still do them a year or so out?

OTM is suitable for LEAPS, I wouldn't spend more for less contracts if I have 12 months.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Can you expound on this. I did a couple of OTM Leaps just experimenting a little.
LEts say a stock is at 50 if you buy a otm leap the stock may have to reach $60 before you start profiting. With a itm 90 delta leap I would start making money whent he stock goes above $51 and I can also sell some poor man covered calls since I am in the money.

Supersav

Rising Star
Registered
LEts say a stock is at 50 if you buy a otm leap the stock may have to reach $60 before you start profiting. With a itm 90 delta leap I would start making money whent he stock goes above $51 and I can also sell some poor man covered calls since I am in the money.
Not true bro...sq isn't close to 300 and I'm already in crazy profit

Supersav

Rising Star
Registered
Didnt you say you bought the $300 january call? How can you be making money when the stock is currently at $258?
Because it's math...I bought the original 2 contracts at 2500 a contract. Because I have months until expiration theta doesn't affect me as much. So as the stock goes up the value of the contracts I purchased also goes up. So today the value of those contracts are 2900 a contract.

It doesn't have to be over 300 till I get closer to the exp date..just has to move in my direction

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Because it's math...I bought the original 2 contracts at 2500 a contract. Because I have months until expiration theta doesn't affect me as much. So as the stock goes up the value of the contracts I purchased also goes up. So today the value of those contracts are 2900 a contract.

It doesn't have to be over 300 till I get closer to the exp date..just has to move in my direction

ahh ok

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Got it in the money earlier, you do for more a month out?

Yes this what I do, I did a Leap for wayyyy out the money on Driv I’m up like $80 already. Im just curious on the benefit from ITM plays

Supersav

Rising Star
Registered

Yes this what I do, I did a Leap for wayyyy out the money on Driv I’m up like $80 already. Im just curious on the benefit from ITM plays
ITM is safer because it's already passed that strike. It also costs more upfront but your paying for the safety

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

My leaps are usually around 80-90 delta itm. That's my risk tollerance incase the stock doesnt move my way or it goes up and dips. I also sell covered calls on my leaps, its too risky to sell covered calls on a otm leap.

king reckless

Rising Star
Registered
Yo! Some of us are recurring posters. Let's consider standardizing some shit. First off, what platform are you trading on and why?

I'm currently on the Ameritrade think or swim platform. I learned last year Rohinhood wasn't the move but I appreciate
their platform reintroducing me to the trading world. I am indebted to them but that where it ends.

After I graduate from Ameritrade I will advance to Tastyworks since think or swim is actually antiquated (compared to
tastyworks). But they have plenty of resources to further me in the field plus it seems common.

I'm steeped in equities with options and soon to be oriented into futures with options.
I realized reading books and watching youtube videos is barely starting the journey after conversing
with a retired stockbroker around when "options" was exotic in the 70s. I was born in the seventies, y'all.

I recommend having an experienced fellow chin check you even if you have to pay instead of wasting time thinking
you're on the right course. I've listened to folks I'd pay money to dictate their fuck ups on paper. ijs.

SmaLLz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I bought a call option. I think square will be 300 dollars or over and I have untill jan 2022 to exercise it or sell. As sq moves up towards that number the value of the option also rises
I'm hoping that you can clarify something for me about selling options. The one thing that I don't fully understand is selling naked calls. For those that do this, are you scared of getting assigned at a higher price? I hear so many people talk about it doesn't make sense to exercise but they are selling call options without owning the underlying stock. The loss potential is unlimited so I am trying to understand why folks are so comfortable doing this. I've done some SNDL option plays to learn because it was cheap and ended up letting them expire so my loss was only $20. I jumped into a VIAC play today 50c with a June 18th expiration. I am confident that I will make money by exercising but it seems that I will make money if I sell a naked call too but I run the risk of getting assigned. If I sell when the contract is ITM or ATM what are the chance that I will get assigned? I know that I should not be trading options without fully understanding but I treat the small plays as tuition to school.

Last edited:

king reckless

Rising Star
Registered
I'm hoping that you can clarify something for me about selling options. The one thing that I don't fully understand is selling naked calls. For those that do this, are you scared of getting assigned at a higher price? I hear so many people talk about it doesn't make sense to exercise but they are selling call options without owning the underlying stock. The loss potential is unlimited so I am trying to understand why folks are so comfortable doing this. I've done some SNDL option plays to learn because it was cheap and ended up letting them expire so my loss was only $20. I jumped into a VIAC play today 50c with a June 18th expiration. I am confident that I will make money by exercising but it seems that I will make money if I sell a naked call too but I run the risk of getting assigned. If I sell when the contract is ITM or ATM what are the chance that I will get assigned? I know that I should not be trading options without fully understanding but I treat the small plays as tuition to school.
Are you read on the Greeks? Know something about delta and theta?

king reckless

Rising Star
Registered
Close the trade by buying the option.